Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Ok that’s really cool. I want those gesture controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just came to post about that, YouTube for anyone too lazy to click through for the rest of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBxMqZkI-Y&feature=emb_title

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If this works the way they just demonstrated (and I have no reason to think it won't), that is legitimately impressive. Especially the clench and pinch detection.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

If this works the way they just demonstrated (and I have no reason to think it won't), that is legitimately impressive. Especially the clench and pinch detection.

It’s gonna track my poops now?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The smell detector in the series 7 will be able to report problems with your diet to your doctor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the plus side, we will finally be able to text smells to people.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

The smell detector in the series 7 will be able to report problems with your diet to your doctor.

Screen Time will report poop time to your employer

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I can't even explain how many times I've had a timer go off and have like grease of other food stuff on my hand and be unable to press stop on my watch because I'm filthy. I cannot wait to gesture control my watch while cooking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use the tip of my nose for situations like that.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I use the tip of my nose for situations like that.

:same:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You don’t wear a mask while cooking? Gross

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah the gestures to stop the alarm would be really useful for even abled persons (I hope that’s the right terminology)people without disabilities (I thought I’d Google it since it’s good to know, and a website said to use this phrasing, but please correct me if I’m wrong). The accelerometer control looks a bit slow in the videos but might be fine for the intended audience. What’s this about texting smells? Not sure if joke or if I missed something. (Smell-O-Scope when?)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 21, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

I can't even explain how many times I've had a timer go off and have like grease of other food stuff on my hand and be unable to press stop on my watch because I'm filthy. I cannot wait to gesture control my watch while cooking.

Can't you just "Hey siri" and turn off the alarm?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Spotify added offline music downloads finally. https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-05-21/enjoy-more-ways-than-ever-to-use-spotify-on-your-apple-watch-now-with-downloads/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Please let Amazon music allow this!!! Keep competing with Spotify.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OMG loving FINALLY I'M SO OVER THE RANDOM rear end DEAD SPOT I RUN BY ON MY PATH AND HAVE TO RESTART SPOTIFY

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

Just cover the screen with your forearm instead of your palm, it works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

marktheando posted:

Just cover the screen with your forearm instead of your palm, it works.
Yeah as long as you can mash the screen against a swath of skin like arm or face it should work too.

(Cue black and white video of someone struggling to turn off their alarm and tossing a drink while mashing the watch into their face)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I too am part of the using my nose on my watch while I cook crew

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Back when I had a TouchID phone, I added my nose for glove season.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

You can stop alarms by double pressing the crown, it's easy to mash it with a knuckle while your hands are covered in unspeakable substances.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Hed posted:

Back when I had a TouchID phone, I added my nose for glove season.

I added my nipple. It worked, but it wasn't the easiest way.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone having issues with music apps not picking up what you’re currently playing? This is on an S6 with 7.5 installed and my phone on 14.6.

The only app working is the now playing thing. Usually if I play something on Spotify it’ll pop up the watch app and sometimes it works but then after a while it doesn’t mirror the song playing on my phone. The Apple Music app doesn’t even come up like it used to also.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you're on an S3 and 7.5, it looks like you are required to do an un-pair/re-pair every watchOS update now :lol:
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/27/apple-watch-series-3-restore-when-updating/

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you're on an S3 and 7.5, it looks like you are required to do an un-pair/re-pair every watchOS update now :lol:
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/27/apple-watch-series-3-restore-when-updating/

I've had to since I bought mine in February 2020.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I’ve basically decided to stop updating my watch until I can buy an S7.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone know why my FaceID unlock is not working when wearing a mask now? Was working fine two days ago.

After rebooting my phone and watch it worked to unlock the phone at first but wouldn’t open any other things and then stopped altogether.

I tried turning it on and off in the phone and watch as well. I’ve also yet to update the watch to 7.5 yet, not sure if it’s that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

fourwood posted:

I’ve basically decided to stop updating my watch until I can buy an S7.

Yeah same. I don't use too many of the actual watch features anyway, it helps me tell the time a bit easier and also does a better job of making sure I see notifications, that's all I need really. Don't need to be on the latest watchOS for that.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ok I wasn’t about the solo loops but that pride band is wild. £100 though Apple :captainpop:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I just received a Salty nylon woven sport loop a week ago, seems fine so far. The Apple one is certainly nicer, but it sure ain't quadruple-the-price nicer than the Salty band. For $11USD with coupon, the Salty is more than fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dugong posted:

Ok I wasn’t about the solo loops but that pride band is wild. £100 though Apple :captainpop:
~$2.50 on AliExpress :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So is a significant part of the money donated to some cause, or why is it that expensive? I get that Apple is a luxury brand, but a 100 bux is a little over the top, if it’s just pure profit.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It’s the same price as the not-donation bands, yeah I guess it’s just QC (maybe) and margins (mostly), being right around the price range where people will buy it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The pride bands are probably slightly harder to manufacture and tag some amount of sales gets donated but I don’t think this is disclosed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zwille posted:

It’s the same price as the not-donation bands, yeah I guess it’s just QC (maybe) and margins (mostly), being right around the price range where people will buy it.
Wait what? They're all that expensive? I scrolled past them really fast back then, since I don't like that style. Would have figured them to be in line with all other bands, which are 50 bux.

At least there's something to Apple's QC. Because the few China bands I've tried, the tab that goes into the watch all had poo poo tolerances. It's probably an OCD level complaint, but I couldn't stand to be able to look through a gap in the slot and tab.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 30, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Dugong posted:

The pride bands are probably slightly harder to manufacture and tag some amount of sales gets donated but I don’t think this is disclosed.

Not exactly defending the prices, but apple advertises and says that a portion of both any pride bands and any Black unity bands go to non profits.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah the braided loops connectors have been a little bit poo poo on the official versions too and yea, all the braided loops are expensive as gently caress compared to the regular sport loops but feel really nice if you got the right size and everything.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The knockoff bands probably come off the same production lines. Once they are finished making the 1,000,000 bands that Apple ordered and can afford to enforce their desired QC standards on, the factory just sends the QC guy home and brings in the cheapest materials they can find to crank out 10,000,000 more for the aliexpress market.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The elastic is starting to go on my braided loop knockoff, it's not the same great fit it was at first, but I wore it quite a lot and it only cost me a couple of quid, so it's fine. I assume the Apple ones will run into the same problem eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else been having trouble charging their watch lately? Both my wife and I have had trouble starting this last week, both in WatchOS 7.5.

As if this last week I’ve seen an “accessory not supported” message once or twice. I’ve been noticing excessive battery drain, and thought I was just using it more than usual or something - but now I suspect it’s just not charging properly.

We’re both using separate Apple chargers, straight from out of the box from our watches, and we’ve never had trouble before.