Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any way to have specific Bookmarks open in a container?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/

That extension should allow you to assign specific websites into specific containers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Nalin posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/

That extension should allow you to assign specific websites into specific containers.

Thanks - I had that extension anyway but couldn't figure out how to get them to open sites in a container by default, but I had hidden the menu bar icon moved to my overflow menu and didn't see the different options there.

Sorted now, cheers.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any way to have specific Bookmarks open in a container?

Containerise works too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'll try this too, one of my links gives an error when opened by default in a container but works fine when loaded again with the tab already in a container.

I take it I can remove the Facebook Container extension if I have either of these other extensions?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it I can remove the Facebook Container extension if I have either of these other extensions?

Containers are a big confusing mess so I don't know how to answer that.

The reason I use Containerise instead of the official Mozilla extension is because the latter didn't play nicely with Temporary Containers for some reason I can't recall, and I needed something to pin some sites to permanent containers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yes, and get the same effect by making a new container for facebook and setting facebook.com to always use that.

Facebook Container is basically just a single-purpose, easy-to-use version of the bigger container extensions.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

Yes, and get the same effect by making a new container for facebook and setting facebook.com to always use that.

Facebook Container is basically just a single-purpose, easy-to-use version of the bigger container extensions.

Well, not entirely. Facebook Container does some extra stuff.

quote:

How does this compare to the Firefox Multi-Account Containers extension?

Facebook Container specifically isolates Facebook and works automatically. Firefox Multi-Account Containers is a more general extension that allows you to create containers and determine which sites open in each container.

You can use Multi-Account Containers to create a container for Facebook and assign facebook.com to it. Multi-Account Containers will then make sure to only open facebook.com in the Facebook Container. However, unlike Facebook Container, Multi-Account Containers doesn’t prevent you from opening non-Facebook sites in your Facebook Container. So users of Multi-Account Containers need to take a bit extra care to make sure they leave the Facebook Container when navigating to other sites. In addition, Facebook Container assigns some Facebook-owned sites like Instagram and Messenger to the Facebook Container. With Multi-Account Containers, you will have to assign these in addition to facebook.com.

Facebook Container also deletes Facebook cookies from your other containers on install and when you restart the browser, to clean up any potential Facebook trackers. Multi-Account Containers does not do that for you.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Nalin posted:

Well, not entirely. Facebook Container does some extra stuff.

Welp, reinstalled that one.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

So I foolishly went to the Page Info window for youtube.com and under Permissions chose to block cookies. Now Youtube is stuck in a loop of the "before you continue" cookie selection page, and the Page Info window is now for consent.youtube.com which is apparently different, so I can't set the setting back.

Any idea how I access those settings for a page I can't go to?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bobstar posted:

So I foolishly went to the Page Info window for youtube.com and under Permissions chose to block cookies. Now Youtube is stuck in a loop of the "before you continue" cookie selection page, and the Page Info window is now for consent.youtube.com which is apparently different, so I can't set the setting back.

Any idea how I access those settings for a page I can't go to?

Options -> Privacy & Security -> scroll down to Cookies & Site Data -> Manage Exceptions button

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Klyith posted:

Options -> Privacy & Security -> scroll down to Cookies & Site Data -> Manage Exceptions button

Amazing, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lol, 2 years after firefox drops all support for RSS, google might be adding a RSS reader into chrome

someone at mozilla hq is frantically looking looking for the undo button right now

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

lol, 2 years after firefox drops all support for RSS, google might be adding a RSS reader into chrome

someone at mozilla hq is frantically looking looking for the undo button right now

I still contribute in ruining Mozilla's sync service with the Live Bookmarks addon. I have all my RSS feeds in my bookmarks toolbar and that will never change.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I found out that they've dropped FTP support and I'm so annoyed. The kind of things I'm into often have FTP links in web pages and it's so annoying.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anyone has trouble with Messenger recently?

I have it as a Pinned Tab and I am regularly getting situations where the notification "glow" won't display, as well as conversations not properly marking as Read once I go into them.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
"You've heard of death by a thousand cuts? [This redesign] is the opposite of that..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cyxdu0EwIk

I know there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about Quantum or whatever they're calling this, but I've been using it via Developer Edition and it hasn't materially impacted my workflow so hooray for this? :confuoot:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Why does Firefox seem to keep a totally separate list of add-ons for my Android vs PC? I'm signed in to both, it's just a pain in the rear end dialing in all the settings again on the phone, and having things like AdBlock exceptions not carry over.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm very miffed when Mozilla mentions heatmaps as a way of tracking clicks, but Mozilla is also the ones who hid the Downloads window (which is still not a tab :mad:) behind 3 clicks and the compact option behind 4 clicks.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm very miffed when Mozilla mentions heatmaps as a way of tracking clicks, but Mozilla is also the ones who hid the Downloads window (which is still not a tab :mad:) behind 3 clicks and the compact option behind 4 clicks.
Would you be interested in knowing that you can still always show the download icon even with the UI refresh?

This gets the Downloads window down to two clicks - click the Download icon, then click "Show all downloads":

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zero VGS posted:

Why does Firefox seem to keep a totally separate list of add-ons for my Android vs PC? I'm signed in to both, it's just a pain in the rear end dialing in all the settings again on the phone, and having things like AdBlock exceptions not carry over.

Doesn't even matter when the majority of the addons are nonfunctional ever since the big Android version refactor anyways. I'm still waiting on Cookie Autodelete to be supported.

e: for gently caress's sake Mozilla, I just checked the add-ons site and it's the same sixteen that's been there since the big update. You've had what, seven god-damned months to deliver on your promise of support?

isndl fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 24, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

IAmKale posted:

I know there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about Quantum or whatever they're calling this, but I've been using it via Developer Edition and it hasn't materially impacted my workflow so hooray for this? :confuoot:

The reason for the wailing and gnashing is mostly the compact mode thing. But also, it's getting boos because it's a completely useless redesign. It hasn't impacted your workflow because it's not really changing anything of importance. It's a new skin simply so they can say they have a new skin. People don't like their cheese being moved.

OTOH Photon *also* got a ton of wailing and gnashing pre-release. But then it came in the same package as the Quantum browser engine which was a huge improvement. So people stopped bitching about it real fast because the browser was so much better. Photon had more actual changes, but many of them were real improvements IMO.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I just want to open things in the background in a tab queue again on Android. I subscribe to several mailing lists and I have stopped reading most of them on mobile because I can't just tap tap tap my way through the email and then go read all the interesting links at once. No, I end up tapping, switching back to email, tapping again, switching back to email, etc. I gave up and save them for when I'm at a desktop.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Klyith posted:

People don't like their cheese being moved.

Or renamed for no drat reason.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

Anyone has trouble with Messenger recently?

I have it as a Pinned Tab and I am regularly getting situations where the notification "glow" won't display, as well as conversations not properly marking as Read once I go into them.

Yes, I have this issue, its most likely something to do with having ad-blockers and privacy ad-dons and such running.

They want you to use the desktop app because that way you cant easily block them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IAmKale posted:

Would you be interested in knowing that you can still always show the download icon even with the UI refresh?

This gets the Downloads window down to two clicks - click the Download icon, then click "Show all downloads":

That's kinda cool.

It really is unfortunate that an asymptotic amount of add-ons have jumped onto Mozillas flat design language and also feel that it's absolutely mandatory that counter gets added, especially when they make it so that it can't be removed.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2021/05/27/manifest-v3-update/

quote:

After discussing this with several content blocking extension developers, we have decided to implement DNR and continue maintaining support for blocking webRequest. Our initial goal for implementing DNR is to provide compatibility with Chrome so developers do not have to support multiple code bases if they do not want to. With both APIs supported in Firefox, developers can choose the approach that works best for them and their users.

We will support blocking webRequest until there’s a better solution which covers all use cases we consider important, since DNR as currently implemented by Chrome does not yet meet the needs of extension developers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Explain that to me like I'm a 6 year old please :downs:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Explain that to me like I'm a 6 year old please :downs:

mozilla is not joining google in sabotaging the core function that adblockers need to block ads

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Google is making changes to Chrome's extension API that gimps how much access extensions like adblockers have to incoming HTTP requests, making it harder (impossible?) to block certain things. Originally Mozilla said they would just follow along with the change to maintain extension compatibility, but people got mad so now they're going to implement both versions of the API basically, so that Firefox extensions can still adblock properly and cross-browser extensions can use the limited new functionality if they want.

There's slightly more info in the original FAQ from when they first announced it: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/09/03/mozillas-manifest-v3-faq/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

"Blocking webRequest" is an API for filtering every single request to any URL. Basically, an extension can register itself as interested, and then whenever anything opens any URL, FF calls a function in the extension with the URL as a parameter, and waits for it to return. This is incredibly powerful, since the addon can block anything it doesn't like [1], rewrite any request [2], or completely take over requests matching specific patterns [3].

It's got some glaring downsides, though. First of all, this is an incredibly powerful position to be in: You really, really have to trust any code that gets to do this sort of total control. It also has some performance downsides. The big one is the "blocking" part: Every single request has to wait for the extension function(s) to return before they can continue, which can add up. It's also apparently a bit messy in what happens when multiple extensions have differing opinions on an URL; as I understand it FF resolves conflicts by just stopping the other extensions as soon as the fastest one with an opinion has returned.

A while ago, Chrome added a completely different API for adblockers ("declarativeNetRequest"). It's simple enough: Extensions can register a list of simple patterns to allow or block, and then chrome itself does the filtering. This resolves the speed and security issues, but doesn't allow the more interesting weirdness from webRequest - and some people think the limits on block list length are too low.

Firefox and Chrome both support a general standard for how to write extensions ("Manifest"; they're phasing in version 3). This is nice - it means a number of extensions can easily work on every desktop browser. However, Chrome/Google has decided to turn off webRequest, while Firefox does currently not support declarativeNetRequest. This announcement is Mozilla saying they'll add DNR without removing webRequest ("until there’s a better solution which covers all use cases we consider important "), which allows both existing FF extensions and unmodified chrome ones to work. Which is nice - there was a reasonable worry that they'd just do like Google and replace one with the other.

[1] This is how adblockers traditionally work: They have a configurable list of patterns to block, and try matching every URL against every pattern to determine if it gets through
[2] Useful for extensions like Https Everywhere - just rewrite http: urls to https: unless there's a reason not to
[3] Which can be used for things like adding support for gopher:// or redirecting certain URLs to external apps

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Things will go back to how things used to be, many years ago.
Firefox used to have the best ad-blocking in that it consistently blocked more ads and it could even block ads inside flash animations and other NPAPIs, just as an example.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

mozilla is not joining google in sabotaging the core function that adblockers need to block ads

Don't forget Apple, Safari has been in lovely adblocking mode for a long while now.

Computer viking posted:

It's got some glaring downsides, though. First of all, this is an incredibly powerful position to be in: You really, really have to trust any code that gets to do this sort of total control. It also has some performance downsides. The big one is the "blocking" part: Every single request has to wait for the extension function(s) to return before they can continue, which can add up.

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/338#issuecomment-456134855

gorhill posted:

Use privacy/performance as Trojan arguments to rationalize reducing user agency over what all bloated web sites throw at people's user agents. That new declarativeNetRequest API seriously reduces what blockers can do, to the point they will become distinguishable only by their UI, not their capabilities. As a user, I personally wouldn't accept browsing the world wild web without the advanced features in uBO, I find this unthinkable.

There are no issue of privacy/performance with uBO, rather the opposite by giving back to users the power of clamping down on what web sites throw at them, so that argument is just plain fallacious as far as uBO is concerned.

Chromium got its webRequest API at a time it was trying to gain market share against Firefox (Sep 2011), where Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Disconnect, NoScript, and other such extensions were the most or among the most popular extensions on Firefox.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 28, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

It's got some glaring downsides, though. First of all, this is an incredibly powerful position to be in: You really, really have to trust any code that gets to do this sort of total control.

this is silly because to play some games i still need to have the pedo gates OS installed, and my phone either comes with a google os or doesn't really do anything at all these days. they are in a far more powerful position than the browser adblocker and i trust them less than <that guy on github> these days, but thanks to monopolies i don't really have much choice sometimes

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

This is very much a "multiple things can be true at once" sort of situation.

Is it possible for addons using webrequest to slow things down? Unquestionably. Does ublock origin actually make requests slower for the typical user? Not in any meaningful way.

Is google in a position of near absolute power over everything you do in Chrome? Of course, and that is a bit worrying. Can an addon that has suddenly been taken over by Moldovan hackers use webrequest to do a lot more harm than without it? Yeah, probably?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Computer viking posted:

Is it possible for addons using webrequest to slow things down? Unquestionably. Does ublock origin actually make requests slower for the typical user? Not in any meaningful way.

Is google in a position of near absolute power over everything you do in Chrome? Of course, and that is a bit worrying. Can an addon that has suddenly been taken over by Moldovan hackers use webrequest to do a lot more harm than without it? Yeah, probably?

I think most people would happily cut off a finger to continue blocking YouTube ads and other obnoxious poo poo, let alone deal with slowness.

As long as the extensions have to report that they’re using this powerful API there’s no issue imo.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Things will go back to how things used to be, many years ago.
Firefox used to have the best ad-blocking in that it consistently blocked more ads and it could even block ads inside flash animations and other NPAPIs, just as an example.

I mean, it still does have the best ad-blocking. uBlock Origin in Firefox can uncloak CNAME fuckery and it can selectively block inline scripts. Plus it runs part of the code in WebAssembly for extra speed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Computer viking posted:

Nah.

Basically, the performance issue isn't a thing outside of computer-science hypothetical land. Yes, if you create a million filters that do nothing but interrupt requests it's bad for performance. But for content blocking, the time needed to parse filters is far lower than the time it takes to load the garbage being blocked.

As for security, the simple fact is that all extensions are a security risk. If an extension can modify the content of webpages, it can gently caress over users. The website of a major health insurance provider got compromised by an extension that was popular with web designers. It didn't use WebRequest to do it. Google isn't on a crusade to remove or lock down the text modification & insertion features of extensions.

Moreover, fixing the most exploitable parts of webRequest was always possible:

quote:

In an email on Monday, Chalupowski said that she had been able to confirm that her old proof-of-concept no longer works on the latest version of Chromium. She said that Cross Origin Read Blocking (CORB) now appears to be blocking requests, and that code for stripping headers no longer produced log entries to indicate that it’s working. She said she wasn’t sure whether this was related to the addition of features like Strict Site Isolation or something else.

Finally, here's how you know that it's mostly about ads and the security part is a fig leaf: Chrome's declarativeNetRequest doesn't allow wildcards. That's a targeted gently caress-you to adblocking.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh chrome is absolutely out to mess with adblockers, and not to be trusted here. That does not mean that webrequest couldn't be improved, just that declarativeNetRequest is not the right answer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Will Chromium browsers all have this poo poo or just Chrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Will Chromium browsers all have this poo poo or just Chrome?

Normal Chrome and Edge.

Google is even keeping it available & supported in Chrome for Enterprise, so there will be upstream code for it in chromium. Vivaldi, Opera, and Brave have said they'll continue to support normal webRequest.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 28, 2021