Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

No they suck a dead donkey's balls/taint

no that's you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Quality snipe

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ChubbyChecker posted:

no that's you
The donkey balls I suck on are on very much alive donkeys. What kind of sicko do you take me for?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Daktar posted:

"How do you spell that?"

"D-I-M-I..."

"Ah, Mrs. Dimitresku."

"It is pronounced 'Deemeetreesk'"

Lady Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Clitch posted:

I thought that was "Are You Being Served?"

No, that’s Mrs Slocombe’s pussy.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ChubbyChecker posted:

no that's you

Fukken rekt

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

I used to watch that and Yes, Minister all the time.

I can't sit through any of Keeping Up Appearances or Last of the Summer Wine. do they suck or am I just getting old and cynical?

No they pretty much suck, objectively. The pacing is fit only for heavily medicated people, and every gag was telegraphed before any of us were even born.

e: Same goes for Dad's Army.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 22:43 on May 27, 2021

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Mr. Bean is the only good British television

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Mr. Bean is the only good British television

Bold claim when Fawlty Towers and Black Adder are sitting right there.

Oh and the great british bakeoff is great for yelling at Paul Hollywood that he's british and doesn't get to have an opinion on flavors.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

but we watched 1776 last week

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why bring two movies when we can just watch Remember the Titans both ways to NYC?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

OwlFancier posted:

Lady Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Bold claim when Fawlty Towers and Black Adder are sitting right there.

Oh and the great british bakeoff is great for yelling at Paul Hollywood that he's british and doesn't get to have an opinion on flavors.

Porridge and only fools and horses are both still great.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm getting the impression that Americans no longer watch Python, even if the Americans in question are tremendous nerds

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm getting the impression that Americans no longer watch Python, even if the Americans in question are tremendous nerds

Much like his fellow posh Oxbridge Brit Dickie Dawkins - John Cleese has pissed all over his legacy and goodwill with his terrible, brain dead Twitter posts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's just old as hell now. The Flying Circus stuff is from literally half a century ago. Nerdy teenagers watching it on PBS reruns in the 80s and quoting it on Usenet were only ten or fifteen years out from its original airing, and the films were still in theaters (Meaning Of Life was 1983). Fifty years is a much bigger cultural gap to span.

The equivalent of a teenager today watching Monty Python would be those 80s nerds watching like Marx Brothers films or something.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 01:05 on May 28, 2021

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I'm trying to think of British TV that I, as a brit, actually really like and coming up very short. Life On Mars, Ashes to Ashes, some of Dr Who, Psychoville and Friday Night Dinner. I've watched Downton Abbey too but mainly for the sake of watching it.

Even as a kid my main watches were Simpsons, Fresh Prince and Malcolm in the Middle. I'd accuse American cultural hegemony here but I think the fact of the matter is we're not very good at it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Daktar posted:

I'm trying to think of British TV that I, as a brit, actually really like and coming up very short. Life On Mars, Ashes to Ashes, some of Dr Who, Psychoville and Friday Night Dinner. I've watched Downton Abbey too but mainly for the sake of watching it.

Even as a kid my main watches were Simpsons, Fresh Prince and Malcolm in the Middle. I'd accuse American cultural hegemony here but I think the fact of the matter is we're not very good at it.

Utopia was good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kids still like the python movies.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's just old as hell now. The Flying Circus stuff is from literally half a century ago.

I like watching them for that reason, they are little time capsules. Having said that, I've been showing my 11 year old daughter the classic sketches and she is laughing her rear end off. It started when I realized she ought to know where "spam" came from, but she does enjoy them. I've overheard her quoting lines to to her friends, and getting no response. I remember that from my childhood.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Daktar posted:

Great British Bake Off, The Thick of It, Black Mirror, The IT Crowd, The Crown, Broadchurch, Bridgerton Sherlock and Catastrophe are all relatively recent (like last 15 years) British shows that I've enjoyed.

Other poo poo that I've enjoyed but probably/definitely dont hold up are Blackadder, The Office and Black Books

e: oh forgot to add: Skins, Misfits and Ali G. I'm told Peaky Blinders is really good too

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 01:45 on May 28, 2021

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Much like his fellow posh Oxbridge Brit Dickie Dawkins - John Cleese has pissed all over his legacy and goodwill with his terrible, brain dead Twitter posts

lol if you read twitter

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

apatheticman posted:

Utopia was good

Utopia was very good.
I wish there was more than 2 seasons.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't forget the good pythons are dead and John Cleese and Terry Gilliam are on their "rarhhmbargl cancel culture can't tell jokes anymore" old man bullshit.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Spaced was p good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rome was technically a British show

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Don't forget the good pythons are dead and John Cleese and Terry Gilliam are on their "rarhhmbargl cancel culture can't tell jokes anymore" old man bullshit.

Ah man, really? I loved his books.

Wait, isn't he dead?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Boba Pearl posted:

Ah man, really? I loved his books.

Wait, isn't he dead?

Terry JONES died last year.

Gilliam is alive and yelling at a cloud.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sentinel posted:

Utopia was very good.
I wish there was more than 2 seasons.

One of the key differences between British TV shows and US tv shows is that British ones generally end while they are still good. US ones keep going until they stop being good, and then end.

memes:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Palin is still alive, he always seemed cool.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I watched Top Gear as it hit the :filez: sites and looking back there were some stinkers but there were some great segments. I even watched the US version.

This meme is true.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qfdvpzobW21tbuh4t.mp4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Friday Night Dinner is on Prime and it's great. Two adult brothers go to their parents house every Friday night for dinner. It's a situational comedy.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Every time I see this guy dancing I imagine people in like 100 years looking back and trying to fit it into a particular style or category of dance and just utterly failing, but also refusing to believe it wasn't part of some sort of popular dance movement for how widely shared the footage is.

But then I remember the earth will be a nearly uninhabitable wasteland in 100 years and the internet along with everything on it will be inaccessible.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Notably missing from both this and the show: hey maybe grading "sins" and "good deeds" on a linear scale like a person's life is simply the sum of their atomised actions is the real problem and we should question that

Somfin has a new favorite as of 02:34 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

bike tory posted:

Every time I see this guy dancing I imagine people in like 100 years looking back and trying to fit it into a particular style or category of dance and just utterly failing, but also refusing to believe it wasn't part of some sort of popular dance movement for how widely shared the footage is.

But then I remember the earth will be a nearly uninhabitable wasteland in 100 years and the internet along with everything on it will be inaccessible.

The raccoon-dolphin-ant alliance isn't gonna give a single gently caress about the maturing rituals of long-extinct apes.