Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If anyone's interested in reading, I've been writing up reviews of each episode of Invincible in turn, starting from episode 8 and working backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Liked your review more than I thought i would. You'll probably keep #6 on the lowest score all through.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

josh04 posted:

If anyone's interested in reading, I've been writing up reviews of each episode of Invincible in turn, starting from episode 8 and working backwards.

These are fun. I'm not sure why you're watching them backwards but I guess that's the gimmick.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i changed my mind a little on why the train scene exists: comic book fans have already demonstrated a desire to side with genocidal fascists who kill the people they love as long as they're voiced by someone appropriately authoritative and certain-sounding, so they added a scene where omniman kills a bajillionty random people to make it extremely clear that you're not supposed to like him

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ungulateman posted:

i changed my mind a little on why the train scene exists: comic book fans have already demonstrated a desire to side with genocidal fascists who kill the people they love as long as they're voiced by someone appropriately authoritative and certain-sounding, so they added a scene where omniman kills a bajillionty random people to make it extremely clear that you're not supposed to like him

there's still gotta be piles of essays written by dudes who argue that actually omniman is right and earth should just join the viltrumite empire because it would be so awesome for us

just imagine how bad it would be if europeans never colonized the americas! :suicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I really love how Nolan swings from "Earth would benefit from joining us. This is for their own good." to "I hate all of these sub-human meatbags and their lives are inconsequential and worthless.", yet there are probably people who still think he's right.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this is a comic spoiler i guess but not a very important one, i was just curious, does Mark ever get a full blown Viltrumite 'stache or does he take after his mom?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

uber_stoat posted:

this is a comic spoiler i guess but not a very important one, i was just curious, does Mark ever get a full blown Viltrumite 'stache or does he take after his mom?

No

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

uber_stoat posted:

Yes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
random aside: "they're putting chemicals in the water to make the rooms invisible" is a joke that hasn't aged great. i kinda wish that conversation had continued with:

mark: so the fluoride conspiracies were right?
cia guy: what? no, fluoride's good for your teeth. this stuff is completely different.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Huh, that never occurred to me, I honestly just thought "of course the not‐CIA is doing spooky stuff 'for our protection' why would they not" and forgot that people think fluoride is bad for them

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ungulateman posted:

random aside: "they're putting chemicals in the water to make the rooms invisible" is a joke that hasn't aged great. i kinda wish that conversation had continued with:

mark: so the fluoride conspiracies were right?
cia guy: what? no, fluoride's good for your teeth. this stuff is completely different.

"and also, the chemical makes the frogs gay. unintended side effect. our bad."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Affi posted:

Liked your review more than I thought i would. You'll probably keep #6 on the lowest score all through.

Yeah, I've seen them all now and it's definitely the low point overall. It's weird because there are lots of bits that are as charming as the rest of the show, like the frat party, but so much of it is just undercooked.

Ccs posted:

These are fun. I'm not sure why you're watching them backwards but I guess that's the gimmick.

Yeah, it was pretty arbitrary, I just kinda picked a thing and went for it. Just finished editing episode 4.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Watched the first 10-15 mins with my girlfriend. We were both interested. Had to stop.

This show might have some of the worst expository dialog that I have ever heard. I assumed the initial intro + fight was going to pan out to a TV and reveal the entire scene as part of a lovely in-universe movie. Nope.

The poo poo where John Hamm is describing how much he loves his fuckup son... is this parody? Help me, goons, am I missing something?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

androo posted:

Watched the first 10-15 mins with my girlfriend. We were both interested. Had to stop.

This show might have some of the worst expository dialog that I have ever heard. I assumed the initial intro + fight was going to pan out to a TV and reveal the entire scene as part of a lovely in-universe movie. Nope.

The poo poo where John Hamm is describing how much he loves his fuckup son... is this parody? Help me, goons, am I missing something?

Uh just watch the first episode and decide if you want to continue.

Make your own decisions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

uber_stoat posted:

"and also, the chemical makes the frogs gay. unintended side effect. our bad."

if ungulateman takes issue with the original joke, that's the same thing but far worse :v:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

androo posted:

These scenes are very intentionally cheesy. I'd finish the first episode and come back. Don't miss the post-credits!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I thought the dorky security guard scene was actually pretty good and effective taken as played. It's also got the meta joke where obviously this guy's about to get flattened. Fun!

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
You have to watch to the actual end of the first episode or the story will definitely come across as hilariously basic and boring, yes.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I watched 25% of the first episode and this show is going nowhere!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the first half of the first episode had me double checking that this wasn't some weird situation where somebody couldn't get the rights to the justice league characters because the pastiche is that thin

Zaphod42 posted:

if ungulateman takes issue with the original joke, that's the same thing but far worse :v:

i mean, being this on-the-nose about it would at least be amusing. instead it's like...surprisingly po-faced "yes the government is putting stuff in the water to control what you see and hear" "but this is good actually"

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
do you filter out your flouride

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How on Earth did people watch television before we had the internet to tell them whether a show was good or not…

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

These are the kinds of problems you avoid when you start with the last episode!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

How on Earth did people watch television before we had the internet to tell them whether a show was good or not…

they mostly didnt also there was only three channels total and they all sucked

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

androo posted:

Yep, the beginning is intentionally like that and you didn’t watch long enough into the first episode to hit the hook and what the series is actually about

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

There was this thing called "water cooler shows" :corsair:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a wonder that this show got as popular as it did, despite it not having a stunning opening like the first 2 minutes of the walking dead. No way people can stick to a show for 3 episodes these days.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked the John Hamm opening in the first episode. It was weird, this extended dialogue scene that was like "where is this going..." and then a big fight at the white house as payoff. And then the bigger payoff at the end of the episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

It's a wonder that this show got as popular as it did, despite it not having a stunning opening like the first 2 minutes of the walking dead. No way people can stick to a show for 3 episodes these days.

It was the meme.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ungulateman posted:

the first half of the first episode had me double checking that this wasn't some weird situation where somebody couldn't get the rights to the justice league characters because the pastiche is that thin

It still makes me laugh that there's a character named Martian Man, which is about as on the nose of a reference as you can get.

I suppose it does help that he's Martian Manhunter + Plastic Man, though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Speaking of outside this community, boy people really hate Amber. I mean I get it, she doesn't have powers like Eve and she's "being mean" to Mark (because she's standing up for herself and not taking his poo poo) but I was quite surprised at how much people want her out of the way.

I'm not shocked, but I didn't realise that the popular opinion was that she sucks and Mark deserves better, comic spoilers though if some of these people have also read the comics then perhaps they are just impatient and want Mark and Eve to get together already

Aces High fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 29, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

If you're gonna post comic spoilers you should clearly label them, I assumed it was going to be a show spoiler.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aces High posted:

Speaking of outside this community, boy people really hate Amber. I mean I get it, she doesn't have powers like Eve and she's "being mean" to Mark (because she's standing up for herself and not taking his poo poo) but I was quite surprised at how much people want her out of the way.

I'm not shocked, but I didn't realise that the popular opinion was that she sucks and Mark deserves better though if some of these people have also read the comics then perhaps they are just impatient and want Mark and Eve to get together already

This thread also went on a multi-page tirade against her which was weird.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

you can't be the romantic interest of a male character of a tv show without attracting completely disproportionate hatred and anger for anything and everything you do that hurts the protagonist in some way, regardless of whether it's justified either in or outside of the story

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tip posted:

If you're gonna post comic spoilers you should clearly label them, I assumed it was going to be a show spoiler.

My bad, I'll fix that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My take on it is that neither side handled it well. I feel like Amber could've been more willing to talk things out once he revealed his secret instead of being immediately dismissive, but taking secrets that concern your physical well-being into a relationship also isn't great.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The biggest Invincible shitposting group on Facebook (100K~) had to fully ban Amber posts because every single one took less than ten minutes to turn racist and/or sexist.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Amber seemed pretty realistic and reasonable to me throughout the whole season. I felt like her character was pretty well-suited to the whole "dude reveals his secret identity but actually it doesn't make it okay that he was a lying flakey dipshit for weeks on end" thing that the show wanted to do to invert the usual superhero trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think it's perfectly reasonable to not want to commit to a relationship with someone who will have to bail on plans all the time, even if you know they're doing it for a good reason.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 29, 2021