Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

What they leave in must be pure gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spaceblancmange posted:

:hmmno:

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Reminded me of this, but expanded on and not a straight rip, so

Data Graham posted:

Too close to being funny, cut it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

That's it. I'm taking your caricature down from Mount Lushmore.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Paingod556 posted:

Reminded me of this, but expanded on and not a straight rip, so

Imagine if they did this sight gag today.

As a matter of fact, don’t.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You Are A Elf posted:

The light flashes 'Vladimir Putin"

Homer straightens up. He talks to nobody in particular except presumably the audience.

"Vladimir Putin? But I'm not a drunk president of Russia"

In case the audience still don't understand, he adds
"I'm just a drunk Homer"
The third person reference is for his own benefit.

Because the joke hasn't been worn thoroughly out, there is a cutaway gag to a semi-photorealistic yellow Vladimir Putin on a tropical island. He looks down, sadly, beer bottle in his hand.
"And I am just a drunk Vladdy." he opines, in a thick Slavic accent.

Cue next scene which has nothing to do with this scene

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Boris Yeltsin?! What are you doing in Moe's?

That's right, Homer, it's me.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

pooch516 posted:

Boris Yeltsin?! What are you doing in Moe's?

That's right, Homer, it's me.

Hey, what happened to that birthmark you had!?

I'm, erm...

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Jimmy Mallon

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

*Yeltsin pulls out a balalaika from some oversized matryoshka dolls and starts singing a Russian folk tune (because he’s Russian, you see, and the audience needs to know that he’s Russian)*

Homer: Hey, Yeltsie, what the hell is that? Some sort of triangular banjo?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

:toot:
I can hear it

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is the Simpsons still bad

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

porfiria posted:

Is the Simpsons still bad

Hold on let me check....

Oh ..oh NO

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Watched King-Size Homer and Marge vs. The Monorail today to remind myself what a legitimately funny Simpsons episode is like and was not disappointed

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick" should not be as funny as it is, but it always cracks me up

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hakkesshu posted:

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick" should not be as funny as it is, but it always cracks me up

Most of the jokes in that episode shouldn't work as well as they do and should have aged poorly, but instead it's written so snappily, and without cynicism and malice, that it just fires all cylinders nonstop.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Love that Charles Bronson-ish offscreen “Hey, fatty! I got a movie for ya, ‘A Fridge Too Far!’”

You can hear it in your head just by reading it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hakkesshu posted:

I love the running joke of Bart imagining his adult self as some kind of total wreck, whether it's a drifter testing cola additives for money, a 300lb ragstick-washer, or a nihilistic rock star who implodes in drink and drugs while driving Milhouse away, and consistently reacting with "cool".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The part that aged poorly was that the number he hit for his supposedly disabling weight was far too low. You can go to Walmart and see multiple guys who weigh 300 pounds any day of the week nowadays, and while they certainly won't be anyone's definition of healthy, they won't be reduced to shuffling around at home with a cane on disability while wearing only hospital gowns. If I were writing that episode today I'd have said 500 pounds.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I love the running joke of Bart imagining his adult self as some kind of total wreck, whether it's a drifter testing cola additives for money, a 300lb ragstick-washer, or a nihilistic rock star who implodes in drink and drugs while driving Milhouse away, and consistently reacting with "cool".

On a similar note, Krusty's groans of despair everyone time he realises his show sucks or has hosed something up, like seeing he has three burning Ks has his stage background or seeing the repeat he put on announced the Falklands War

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

Love that Charles Bronson-ish offscreen “Hey, fatty! I got a movie for ya, ‘A Fridge Too Far!’”

You can hear it in your head just by reading it.

It's not from offscreen, sarcastic mustache guy is in the crowd of gawkers.

Hakkesshu posted:

The crowd politely applauding this is what makes it for me.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
comrade simpson makes a good point when he says he's "gonna be a lardo on workman's comp."

jobs that force people to sit all day should pay out for the effects

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

So let me get this straight because I do not want to look it up and want to remember a bad season episode from the nether-regions of my mind:

The Fat Tony we see today is not actually the Fat Tony we all grew up watching because the Fat Tony we grew up watching died from a heart attack or something, and his cousin, Thin Tony got stressed out from his death, binge ate, and became fat, thus taking over the Fat Tony we grew up watching, correct?

I think that’s a lot worse and lazier than The Principal & the Pauper, tbh.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

You Are A Elf posted:

So let me get this straight because I do not want to look it up and want to remember a bad season episode from the nether-regions of my mind:

The Fat Tony we see today is not actually the Fat Tony we all grew up watching because the Fat Tony we grew up watching died from a heart attack or something, and his cousin, Thin Tony got stressed out from his death, binge ate, and became fat, thus taking over the Fat Tony we grew up watching, correct?

It was Fit Tony, not thin Tony, but yes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

Donnie Fatso, season 22:

quote:

Homer and Marge wake on New Year's Day with hangovers after the family's New Year's Eve celebration. As Homer takes the garbage out, Chief Wiggum, Eddie, and Lou arrive and issue him multiple citations and fines - the result of recently passed, frivolous laws intended to bring in revenue for the city when broken. Taking Moe's suggestion that he bribe a city official to clear up the fines, Homer leaves a sack full of cash on the official's desk but is promptly arrested, convicted, and sentenced to ten years in prison. Wiggum takes pity on Homer and tells him to meet with an FBI agent, who offers to reduce the sentence if Homer will go undercover in the prison to investigate Fat Tony, who is also serving time along with his top henchmen.

Homer quickly gains favor with Fat Tony, due to a confrontation engineered by the FBI agent, and Fat Tony breaks him and the entire group out of prison and offers him a chance to join the syndicate. Homer's first task is to burn down Moe's Tavern in revenge for Moe's rudeness toward Fat Tony on the phone, but Homer finds that Moe has already done the deed himself. Fat Tony accepts Homer into the syndicate and the two develop a special bond; however, complications over a scheme to import weapons put the syndicate under severe stress. Eventually Fat Tony discovers Homer's undercover status and, emotionally devastated by his betrayal, suffers a fatal heart attack.

Meanwhile, Marge has begun to panic over being unable to communicate with Homer, as she knows nothing of his undercover work and cannot get any information on his whereabouts. She is surprised and thrilled when he returns home with his prison sentence lifted, but Homer feels guilt for Fat Tony's death and bitterness toward the government over being used to bring him down. Homer visits Fat Tony's grave to apologize, but is kidnapped by his cousin Fit Tony, who plans to kill him for revenge. However, Fit Tony spares his life after Homer tells of the time he and Fat Tony spent together, seeing that Fat Tony lives on in Homer's memories. Fit Tony takes charge of the syndicate, but the stress of the position causes him to overeat and gain weight, becoming known first as Fit Fat Tony and then simply Fat Tony - now physically indistinguishable from the original.

In court, Homer is sentenced to ten years in the federal penitentiary. He is given one option to get out sooner: He must wear a camera and microphone in a disguise and infiltrate Fat Tony's gang. In a parody of the award-winning movie Donnie Brasco, with elements from Tony, eats, gaining weight. He is then called Fit-Fat Tony, but gains more weight and is just called Fat Tony. He looks, acts and sounds like Fat Tony, which is The Simpsons way of making it like it never happened.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget the classic character Fit Fat Tony either. Shame about him and Roy's spin off getting canceled after the M&M's lawsuit and all. They were -not- happy once they finally took a look at that corner. :smith:

edit: drat, just barely beaten.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Simpsons Wiki is so committed to this continuity that the "Fit-Fat Tony" character is listed as having appearances every season since Season 22 since he's now the mobster guy

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

Donnie Fatso, season 22:

Much obliged, friend! :tipshat:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What Snowball are they on? 4? That was one of the last episodes I saw, and it must have been almost 2 decades ago.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

IUG posted:

What Snowball are they on? 4? That was one of the last episodes I saw, and it must have been almost 2 decades ago.

They killed one off every episode in season 35.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember one where like four Snowballs died so Lisa just called the last one Snowball II for convenience's sake and they ended it with Skinner remarking that that makes no sense and they made an Armin Tamzarian joke just in case you didn't get it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I'm on season 11. The Golden Age definitely ends in season 10. There are a lot of great episodes that happen after Principal and the Pauper in season 9, so I don't take stock in the theory that it's all crap from there.

Season 10 gets weird. I'm looking at the episode list and the only one I'd say was anywhere on par with the classics is Bart The Mother. From there, episodes range from watchable to terrible. Every once in a while I'll hear a classic quote or see a classic moment. I'll be surprised when a meme is from this far. Otherwise, season 10 is where the series becomes far too reliant on celebrity guest stars. The one with Mel Gibson has aged like milk. (Homer turning a remake of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington into an action movie is a good gag tho.)

Also lots of casual transphobia.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MrQwerty posted:

Watched King-Size Homer and Marge vs. The Monorail today to remind myself what a legitimately funny Simpsons episode is like and was not disappointed

A joke I didn't get in King-Size Homer was when Homer goes to the clothing store:

Homer: I'm looking for something loose and billowy, something comfortable for my first day of work.

Salesman: Work, huh? Let me guess. Computer programmer, computer magazine columnist, something with computers?

Homer: Well, I use a computer.

Salesman: What's the connection? Must be the non-stop sitting and snacking.

I get the salesman is mocking him, but I think he messes up the delivery. I thought he was saying "lost connection" and that he believed Homer hadn't made a connection because of poor diet and misunderstood his question. Eh, minor issue.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always thought the salesman's final line was completely unnecessary and ruined the joke

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Data Graham posted:

I always thought the salesman's final line was completely unnecessary and ruined the joke

Yeah great ep just a weird hiccup. Like in Cape Feare when Grandpa talks about corn being good eating and the animation gets weird.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I'm on season 11. The Golden Age definitely ends in season 10. There are a lot of great episodes that happen after Principal and the Pauper in season 9, so I don't take stock in the theory that it's all crap from there.

Season 10 gets weird. I'm looking at the episode list and the only one I'd say was anywhere on par with the classics is Bart The Mother. From there, episodes range from watchable to terrible. Every once in a while I'll hear a classic quote or see a classic moment. I'll be surprised when a meme is from this far. Otherwise, season 10 is where the series becomes far too reliant on celebrity guest stars. The one with Mel Gibson has aged like milk. (Homer turning a remake of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington into an action movie is a good gag tho.)

There are a handful of good lines peppered through like season 13, but it's always a surprise to see what episode they come from.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at anyone still caring about the show’s continuity when

1. They hardly cared in the classic seasons either

And 2. The current writers have very likely not even seen the classic seasons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Neither had the original writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Stupid sexy Flanders is from season 11, that always surprises me.