Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Bumping this thread as the latest episode was very good. Pener mentioned they might make it free, if they don't I can pm you the episode.

yeah. Mark's story about his experience with the ADL deep state was incredible. Not a surprise, but I thought they were just a lobbying group. Well, they are, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
really enjoyed the first part on the 1971 bangladesh liberation war. the first part mostly focuses on internal pakistani politics which is really interesting for anyone who's into the formation of identities/nationalism/etc. 'pakistani was a manufactured concept that contained (still contains?) a ton of contradictions which they couldn't resolve in the leadup to the war and genocide

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

really enjoyed the first part on the 1971 bangladesh liberation war. the first part mostly focuses on internal pakistani politics which is really interesting for anyone who's into the formation of identities/nationalism/etc. 'pakistani was a manufactured concept that contained (still contains?) a ton of contradictions which they couldn't resolve in the leadup to the war and genocide

My grandmother used to joke the only thing that kept the subcontinent running was mutual hatred of everyone else on the subcontinent.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mila kunis posted:

Yeah it was excellent, I learned a lot about something I was generally aware of but had no specific knowledge of. I'm grimly excited for tales of pure evil and idiocy from Kissinger.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Somebody needs to clip the part where Dolan says "people think Kissinger was good at foreign policy - NO"

They really gotta do the TrueAnon crossover live show before a 3rd wave of covid gets in the way

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Been saying it for ages, but my dream episode of War Nerd would be a crossover episode where they just go off for like three four hours. Its barely edited, the sound quality is atrocious, but its an all time great episode from start to finish.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Been saying it for ages, but my dream episode of War Nerd would be a crossover episode where they just go off for like three four hours. Its barely edited, the sound quality is atrocious, but its an all time great episode from start to finish.

https://twitter.com/thegunchman/status/1399519582562537475

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Add that meme to the OP. Perfect encapsulation of the show.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Someone add 'Guest is Annibale' to the bottom of that with the last panel of the expanding mind meme

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

New episode was great, kissinger is a piece of poo poo and I hope he dies soon.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

New episode was great, kissinger is a piece of poo poo and I hope he dies soon.

I'm honestly ambivalent about that. Sure, he's a piece of poo poo, but how will you pick out the worst shitheads in America if "friends with Henry Kissinger" isn't around as a category anymore?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

I'm honestly ambivalent about that. Sure, he's a piece of poo poo, but how will you pick out the worst shitheads in America if "friends with Henry Kissinger" isn't around as a category anymore?

They'll never shut up about having been friends with Kissinger.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They'll never shut up about having been friends with Kissinger.

and the next generation will wax nostalgic and wish they could've befriended kissinger

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Strangelovian episode where Nixon's chiefs of staff all thought Kissinger was a communist homosexual because of his overtures to China, and spied on the presidency, really drives home the sheer psychosis of America's position in the Cold War.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
We need more of Mark narrating conversations between Kissinger and Nixon.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nothus posted:

Agreed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nothus posted:

Easy way to find out if it's still possible for Mark to be "cancelled".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
someone get Mark to read the nixon tapes where they talk about Hot Pants

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Strangelovian episode where Nixon's chiefs of staff all thought Kissinger was a communist homosexual because of his overtures to China, and spied on the presidency, really drives home the sheer psychosis of America's position in the Cold War.

:dafuq: :stare:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
imagine being so coked out you could think kissinger was a communist

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Stringent posted:

imagine being so coked out you could think kissinger was a communist

The Chilean coup was him purging the left-deviant revisionist Allende

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It was even funnier when Mark got around to the anecdote about the JCoS's go-between, Charles Radford, getting found out and they beat the poo poo out of him to figure out who he was spying for. There were even plans to murder Radford when the Watergate scandal broke.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/04/nixon-and-the-chiefs/302473/

This old Atlantic article from 2002 goes over a lot of the details. Nixon himself suspected that Radford might be a homosexual prevert.

quote:

Nixon had a habit of viewing scandals that occurred during his presidency through the prism of the Alger Hiss spy case, in which Nixon had first gained national fame, and around which there had long been unsubstantiated whispers that Hiss was a homosexual. The Moorer-Radford affair was no exception. Observing that homosexuality "poisons a lot of these things," Nixon ordered Mitchell to explore whether Radford was sexually involved with the prominent syndicated columnist Jack Anderson. (It was a high-level leak to Anderson, detailing Nixon's covert "tilt" toward Pakistan in its December 1971 war with India, that had first led investigators to Radford. The yeoman and the columnist, both Mormons, acknowledged knowing each other, but both denied that Radford was Anderson's source. Under interrogation, however, Radford surprised everybody by confessing to spying for the Pentagon.)

Nixon thought the Radford-Anderson relationship was "sexual up the rear end," and he wondered whether Anderson had Radford "under blackmail." Ehrlichman followed up on Nixon's order, but investigators balked, and the idea was dropped.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Jun 12, 2021

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

is there a rwn about rwanda. asking all true rwnheads out there

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maya Fey posted:

is there a rwn about rwanda. asking all true rwnheads out there

In episode 89 they touched on Rwanda briefly as part of their Central African war literature review.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In episode 89 they touched on Rwanda briefly as part of their Central African war literature review.

ty i'll check it out

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

looks like the war nerd is covering the war of northern aggression! and apparently they’ve got some takes

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lmao of course a couple of californians are going to make it all about cali

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

tell me more about burnin sherman

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

There's a lot to be said about how many Civil War generals spent lots of time killing Mexicans during the Mexican-American War and then immediately took to exterminating indigenous tribes during and after the Civil War. So much of what was going through the minds of officials during the war was who was going to have that sweet sweet Western territory after everything had settled

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I loved RWN's ep on Reconstruction which was horrifying. iirc, they contextualized it as a long-war post-Emancipation which african americans were routinely terrorized and attacked with practically no help from the North most of the time. I think they estimated the deaths from just reported events were easily more than a thousand. totally changed my opinion on that era

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nothus posted:

lmao of course a couple of californians are going to make it all about cali

California is like the rectum of white America, which extrudes all of our greatest social evils after digesting them through the bowels of manifest destiny. You can trace everything hosed up about the present moment to something that started in California.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Max Blumenthal episode on I-P has been reposted for free to non-subscribers.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-52310943

Free episodes don't happen often, and this is a great one.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i'm not American so I find your civil war far more boring and overcovered than RWN's other stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yes but what about two hours of generals' connections of berkeley

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i think mao recalled during one of his meetings with kissinger that the egyptians didn't like mao talking to him because he was a jew, but mao was like "yeah but he's not as pro-israel as you think he is, they're not all the same, besides we've collaborated with others of their kind like karl marx." i think they also discussed dialectical reasoning

*gravely kissinger voice* yes i studied hegel in grad school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think mao recalled during one of his meetings with kissinger that the egyptians didn't like mao talking to him because he was a jew, but mao was like "yeah but he's not as pro-israel as you think he is, they're not all the same, besides we've collaborated with others of their kind like karl marx."

lmao