Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Byzantine posted:

I mean, it's pretty hard to overcome protagonist bias. Kratos literally destroyed the universe because he had a mad-on, and people still fell for him as a sad old dad just trying to raise his boy.

I liked the feeling of Dad Of Boy. The whole dude being ashamed of the toxic masculinity of his youth and TRYING to be a good dad but having precisely zero idea how.

I think it's cause I was the right age to think Kratos was great when the first games came out, and the right age now to be embarrased of that fact.

Content: Back to New Vegas for the first time after reading about the original plans for the Legion that were cut due to development time crisis. It's hard looking at these moustance twirling villains after finding out that they were initially going to be a legitimate faction that you might want to side with. A blemish on what's otherwise one of my favourite games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah unironically there should be more depth to fash.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I liked the feeling of Dad Of Boy. The whole dude being ashamed of the toxic masculinity of his youth and TRYING to be a good dad but having precisely zero idea how.

I think it's cause I was the right age to think Kratos was great when the first games came out, and the right age now to be embarrased of that fact.

Content: Back to New Vegas for the first time after reading about the original plans for the Legion that were cut due to development time crisis. It's hard looking at these moustance twirling villains after finding out that they were initially going to be a legitimate faction that you might want to side with. A blemish on what's otherwise one of my favourite games.

Congrats that what all the dads currently making AAA games are doing too, but with less self awareness.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Playing straight through from Resident Evil Revelations 1 to 2, one tiny thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that the "pick up item" button has been changed to be something other than the default "interact with everything" button it was in the first game. It's still screwing me up a couple hours in, and it's weird because the controls are 99% the same with a couple nice improvements, but someone made the choice to make this one less intuitive for no apparent reason.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I still like Kratos for what he was but mostly because I only played the first game when it came out and so my version of Kratos I remember just murdered various mythical creatures on the way to revenge-kill Ares. Which I thought was fair.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah but manual transmissions aren't common and I don't believe this teenage orphan was taught how to pop a clutch.

Ohhhh you meant manual transmissions instead of cars in general. Okay I can understand that.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Last of Us was originally meant to depict the last people in the UK who hadn't left yet and there was originally no time skip.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm playing Dusk at the moment because I got a discount code on GoG. It's a lot of fun, but I don't like how small the flashlight is. Some stages are so dark that you need to use it, and the beam is so thin that it makes you feel like you're playing the game with an ultranarrow field of view. It makes me queasy. I wish I could just turn the gamma up so I can go without using the flashlight altogether. :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Last of Us was originally meant to depict the last people in the UK who hadn't left yet and there was originally no time skip.

“The Last of UK” was just a weaker title so I can understand why they changed it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hate to suggest more work for designers, but games should really come with a setting to choose between "I have never seen a video game before, please help me" and "I have spent a dozen years of my life gaming, just spend five seconds telling me about your control quirks"
Ha then you'll just get everyone picking the I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING OPTION and still not paying attention to a drat thing, again look at Streamers and YTGame channels.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Croccers posted:

Ha then you'll just get everyone picking the I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING OPTION and still not paying attention to a drat thing, again look at Streamers and YTGame channels.

That's why you have a streaming mode, with stuff that makes streaming easier but also forces full tutorials.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Hel posted:

That's why you have a streaming mode, with stuff that makes streaming easier but also forces full tutorials.

Also it should have mic detection so if the streamer is talking over dialogue, the game volume gradually ramps up and up until the streamer is yelling to be heard over a game thats so loud it's just distorted and blowing speakers

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“The Last of UK” was just a weaker title so I can understand why they changed it.

yeah you don't want the title to evoke hope

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Len posted:

Yeah but manual transmissions aren't common and I don't believe this teenage orphan was taught how to pop a clutch.

I could swear I remember her saying she grew up in a military school and they learned there, for some reason?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yakuza 0: I'm on chapter 7 and the blind girl in Majima's story is really grinding my interest down. She's just the most generic Sweet-hearted Damsel In Distress character, and I can't bring myself to care about any of the incredibly lengthy conversations with and about her. Not to mention her backstory which is that she was sex trafficked and raped so much that she went blind as a psychosomatic response. :stare:

Edit: To be clear, I understand at this point that she either is or is closely related to the Empty Plot Owner macguffin, and I would love for this game to introduce a compelling female character. My issue is with her characterization itself.

Tender Bender has a new favorite as of 15:17 on May 28, 2021

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Yakuza 0: I'm on chapter 7 and the blind girl in Majima's story is really grinding my interest down. She's just the most generic Sweet-hearted Damsel In Distress character, and I can't bring myself to care about any of the incredibly lengthy conversations with and about her. Not to mention her backstory which is that she was sex trafficked and raped so much that she went blind as a psychosomatic response. :stare:

Edit: To be clear, I understand at this point that she either is or is closely related to the Empty Plot Owner macguffin, and I would love for this game to introduce a compelling female character. My issue is with her characterization itself.

Though I don't agree with your assessment of her character at the beginning, you definitely will not feel this way about her at the end of the game. Stick with it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Though I don't agree with your assessment of her character at the beginning, you definitely will not feel this way about her at the end of the game. Stick with it.

Good to know, thanks!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another Starcraft 2 thing: in Legacy of the Void, Blizzard redid the protoss women to make them look more human and pretty. And it's awful.

https://twitter.com/kissy90530522/status/1288490518083665920

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cythereal posted:

Another Starcraft 2 thing: in Legacy of the Void, Blizzard redid the protoss women to make them look more human and pretty. And it's awful.

Wow, not only is the new one more boring, it's not even more attractive. The smooth skin just highlights the fact she doesn't have a face and how creepy and unnatural that is, I can't actually look past it to take in the rest of the design. The old one actually has more presence and structure to her to suggest some form of physical beauty; sure she's less human, but she has an air where I feel like, if the Protoss actually do have a concept of beauty (I have no idea what their deal is), she's probably considered a very attractive one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

Queen Sectoid

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

Wow, not only is the new one more boring, it's not even more attractive. The smooth skin just highlights the fact she doesn't have a face and how creepy and unnatural that is, I can't actually look past it to take in the rest of the design. The old one actually has more presence and structure to her to suggest some form of physical beauty; sure she's less human, but she has an air where I feel like, if the Protoss actually do have a concept of beauty (I have no idea what their deal is), she's probably considered a very attractive one.

Everything about Selendis is awful, really.

In Wings of Liberty, she's presented as the second in command of the Protoss military, flying a super-carrier and was strongly hinted to have been the Protoss PC from Brood War. She's willing to talk things out with Raynor, but if you choose to fight her, she is ridiculously pumped to fight a celebrated leader like Raynor and assures him it's nothing personal, wishing him well when you beat her.

In Legacy of the Void, her only contribution to the game is that she gets corrupted at the start of the game and possessed by the main villain to serve as his voice for most of the game to spout nonsense threats at the main cast. When she gets a model, it's a generic reused Protoss woman in a dress model created for Heart of the Swarm. It's not clear if she survives the campaign, no one raises the possibility or seems to care.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Cleretic posted:

It's OK you can just say it, we're all friends here

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cythereal posted:

In Legacy of the Void, her only contribution to the game is that she gets corrupted at the start of the game and possessed by the main villain...

Can we please find out who at Blizzard has this possession/corruption fetish and chase them out of the company for good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vandar posted:

Can we please find out who at Blizzard has this possession/corruption fetish and chase them out of the company for good?

You can try but you’ll just end up corrupted and turning into him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's Chris Metzen. He only knows how to write corrupted characters.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Croccers posted:

3 settings

- I'VE NEVER PLAYED A GAME BEFORE

- gently caress OFF I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING

- I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M DOING BUT I'VE BEEN PLAYING VIDEO GAMES TOO LONG FOR ME TO FEEL COMFORTABLE ADMITTING IT

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Those cowards at Blizzard even turned down the glow in her eyes!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk mostly worked for me as a turned-based tactical strategy game with some RPG dungeon exploring. The party characters had enough variety in abilities that it was fun to mix and match different ones together.

The big thing dragging the game down was the writing, especially the dialogue. The game was meant as a kind of parody/satire of the RPG tropes, but it really leaned into some painfully bad caricatures. I clicked through the dialogue as fast as I could so I could get back to the game play.

The little thing dragging it down was that is felt like quite a few items and abilities just don't work with a tactical strategy game. They generally require a character to maximize their damage output every turn and it is crucial to kill or stun enemies in the first two or three turns before the player is swarmed by the mobs. In this game, each character has one move and one action per turn. Attacking, using a skill, throwing an explosive, or consuming an item all count as that one action.

The enemy HP increases over the course of the game, but the damage put out by explosives does not, so they immediately felt like a waste of a turn. And a few items and skills are of the type "use this and then do 10 to 20% more damage the next two turns". Even if it was more than a 50% bonus for the next two turns, the opportunity cost of not attacking that turn is so big that you need to do lots of damage to offset it.

The game also does the thing of monsters dropping both money and junk items. The junk items can be sold for money, however, some of the junk items are needed at some point during the game to solve some puzzles. The only way to know for sure if the junk items are truly junk, is to look on the internet for other people asking the same question.

I don't know if I have ever liked the implementation of worthless items that are only to be sold for money; just drop more money instead. I was okay with Witcher 3 dropping currency from other places and once you had access to the bank it could be converted to the useful currency. At least in that case it didn't clog up the inventory and there is no confusion on if you needed to save it for a puzzle or for crafting later.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Things pissing me off: Mod creators.

I'm mainly a PC gaming kind of guy, and while I'm not one of the "run three hundred mods at once in every game I can" people I'm willing to run a few if I'm looking for something to be improved or a new experience with an old game. And nowadays, it seems like a lot of mods don't just do one thing. In the specific case annoying me right now, Mechwarrior 5's mechlab is very barebones when compared to MWO or Battletech. It's more akin to Mechwarrior 4's than anything, which was acceptable at the time but nowadays just doesn't feel good to use. And apparently, there are very few mods to change it. There was one (that was broken in the last patch with no plans to update it) that made it work really well - same hardpoint system as MWO, full engine replacement, basically allowing full mech customization as long as you have the parts. It also, however, adds a bunch of new items, buffs enemy health and damage, reworks enemy spawns, and some other stuff. Its primary description is literally "This mod aims to first and foremost bring back the much needed detailed mech customization to MW5, along with new gameplay features. " Why couldn't the maker make either separate mods for each major change, or provide just the mechlab changes separately as an option? Who knows! But it's the only mod for the mechlab that I can find, probably because it was one of the first major mechlab mods and it worked well enough no one felt the need to compete.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Those cowards at Blizzard even turned down the glow in her eyes!

I'm looking at that second image and I feel like that woman in the second picture has an upside down head and her mouth and nose are hidden by that metal plate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rodbeard posted:

I'm looking at that second image and I feel like that woman in the second picture has an upside down head and her mouth and nose are hidden by that metal plate.

She looks like an uncanny valley Queen Tyr'ahnee now. Super weird, can't believe they approved that.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

JackSplater posted:

Things pissing me off: Mod creators.

There was some top level Skyrim drama a few years back when Arthmoor, the creator of Open Cities (massively popular mod which removes loading screens around city areas) did an update which also added dormant Oblivion Gates to every city for no real reason. When people complained he doubled, then tripled, down on them being required content. When the community started creating patches to remove them he threw an even bigger bitchfit and got a bunch of creators banned for uploading patches to his mods.

Last time I checked he now does two versions with and without Oblivion Gates but also with locked comments and ratings.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

darkwasthenight posted:

There was some top level Skyrim drama a few years back when Arthmoor, the creator of Open Cities (massively popular mod which removes loading screens around city areas) did an update which also added dormant Oblivion Gates to every city for no real reason. When people complained he doubled, then tripled, down on them being required content. When the community started creating patches to remove them he threw an even bigger bitchfit and got a bunch of creators banned for uploading patches to his mods.

Last time I checked he now does two versions with and without Oblivion Gates but also with locked comments and ratings.

This feels like it's part of some kind of Gamer Horror Movie where the gates are going to open and the monsters come out of our computers to eat us

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

darkwasthenight posted:

quote:

Why are there dead Oblivion gates in the cities now?

While the gates in TES4 were shown to collapse into their debris piles, the only known reason for why the physical parts vanished is because that's just how the animation was done. All gates used the same resource file so they all collapse the same way. Further, the gates that you as the player close down are done via removal of the sigil stone power source. So when those close, they're doing so under a controlled set of conditions and the physical portal withdraws as per whatever designed system the Daedra use for that.

When Martin pulls the Akatosh avatar bit at the end of TES4, whatever gates were standing open would have had their dimensional bridge abruptly severed, and I believe that would result in the physical manifestation remaining behind since it was NOT properly shut down. The end result of this should logically have been a series of gates still standing but with no portal. This was limited by how the scripting works to call their shutdown code though. All it did was instruct every gate to run the reverse animation. The code was also supposed to have caused all the debris everywhere to vanish as well but that doesn't happen, nobody reported it as a bug, and Bethesda didn't care enough to fix it.

So there ought to be various gates all over Tamriel that were left intact, including gates within cities. 200 years isn't long enough for solid stone to crumble into nothing. It is long enough for those gates which aren't being marginally maintained by those near them to become overgrown, cracked, damaged by weather, wars, etc. Could be up for debate as to weather the Nords would leave them sitting around like this or not, but there's nothing in the lore that says these couldn't simply have been left there as monuments to the Crisis.

Even here on Earth we build monuments to incredibly painful events in our history - like the WWII memorial at Pearl Harbor where they left the sunken ships in the harbor and turned it into a national monument. The statue representing the Battle of Iwo Jima. Whole museums dedicated to WWII history, and other wars fought as well. Battlefield memorials for the Civil War are everywhere. People even reenact these battles on a regular basis.

Arguments of it being feature creep don't fly either. No more so than a smelter in Riften where none exists, or gatesmen who open the gates for you if you're on horseback. These gates add a touch of uniqueness to the mod, and pay what I believe is an homage to TES4:Oblivion as one of the best games of its time. They are not active portals and nor are they eyesores. They're not even in your way.

Still not happy? Thomas Kaira has created a patch to remove the gates. Keep in mind that use of this patch is unsupported by me. Any problems arising from using it will be ignored. His is the only authorized patch, any others have been produced without permission and are likely to have game killing bugs in them. Any mention of an unauthorized version will be reported.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Arthmoor is the worst.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Am I correctly understanding his explanation that every gate in Oblivion collapses and disappears when it's shut off, regardless of how or why, but he thinks that was a mistake for [no reason provided], and so he's imagined what he thinks probably makes more sense? That's the basis for this part of his mod that he wants everyone to use?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Mmhmm

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The "any UNOFFICIAL PATCH I DON'T ENDORSE will definitely have game killing bugs in it also I'll report you for talking about it" poo poo is the best part. It's just a slight step below threatening legal action for going into the mod yourself and removing them.

... Didn't he do that too? I can never remember what was actual Arthmoor and what was a fever dream of Arthmoor I made up in my head.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

A modder against modding is some special level of stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone designed Matador and thought "let's put him here"