Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

A lot of homemade ice cream makers have been run by electric motors for as long as I've been alive, and I am horribly, horribly old, so I'm willing to accept that people could conceivably have seen one without knowing that in the olden days they used to be powered by child labor.
Yeah, we had an electric one growing up(this was the 90s). I think that's what most people think of now when they think ice cream makers.

I did understand that other toonerville since it gave more context, but in the car one I was thinking along the lines of Bruceski and was thinking it was some overly complicated way to fix a flat.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Another child falls. The family circus grows smaller yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Another child falls. The family circus grows smaller yet again.

The Family Circus mom always looks like she's having the realization that pumping out a bunch of kids was a mistake and that in an era of low infant mortality and high child poverty, having just one is fine.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kazinsal posted:

Lynn Johnston's actual kids loving hate her and she continues to have no idea why despite reading all her old comic strips back so she can make edits to them

Lynn is the platonic ideal of a Boomer. Their kids hate them, and they have no awareness as to why. They completely believe everything they did was cool and good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And that if ever it isn't an angel will come and tell you. No angels, everything's fine.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Golden Tail

Why not Per Asperger Ad Aspera instead? More relatable.

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, we had an electric one growing up(this was the 90s). I think that's what most people think of now when they think ice cream makers.
Our still runs. :toot:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Kazinsal posted:

Lynn Johnston's actual kids loving hate her and she continues to have no idea why despite reading all her old comic strips back so she can make edits to them

I honestly didn't realize she was still doing this until this strip:

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

And I thought it was funny that the newest car in her update is still eight years old. It makes me wonder how often she makes these updates, and how long ago she did them.

I could really see her just taking a month of 2014, doing all the updates at once, and then slowly dispersing her entire body of work out for the next couple of decades, each "updated" version getting more and more out-of-date each day.

(This would also explain why all the kids were referring to their "MP3 Players" a year or so ago.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (April 17, 1993)

SIGH

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That kid sucks in a town where life is already hard enough.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A Funny Online Animals Triptych

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 25th, 1940

Axa

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 20, 1933)

Peanuts (May 30, 1974)

HA (dot dot dot) HA

STALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 27, 1937)

Out Our Way (September 10-12, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (August 23-25, 1917)

Dok's "Lucky At Love, Unlucky At Friendship" Duck (August 14, 1913)

Little Lefty (October 29-31, 1934)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

A Funny Online Animals Triptych

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1398039358343725057

I like FOA.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

These people really have to adopt a religion where you consider god to be an old moose, it'd make them a lot happier.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

https://twitter.com/olivebrinker/status/1398041800552689666

https://twitter.com/olivebrinker/status/1398042125967802374

There are kinds of people.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Eh, KC Greene has been kind of lackluster for years.

FOA is like " It's okay". Not really Funny-funny, but still better than alot of other "comics"

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (June 10, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 25, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 3, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 11, 1929)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignacy_Jan_Paderewski

Oaky Doaks (December 12, 1935)

Mopsy (February 10, 1937)

Dark Laughter (November 17, 1945)

Those Were the Days (June 25, 1953)

Dinky Fellas (August 31, 1965)

Wee Pals (August 31, 1965)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

OK, so what exacty is FBOW's fatal flaw that makes everybody hate it (besides being terminally boring)? Is it a Dustin situation where everybody is terrible for no reason and you are constantly wishing 2/3rds of the cast dead? It looks bad so I've never actually bothered to read it.

Old School Peanuts (Oct 4, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 1-2, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

gleebster posted:

Oh, Bootsie, you lovable old committer of sexual assaults!

Bogor

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

OK, so what exacty is FBOW's fatal flaw that makes everybody hate it (besides being terminally boring)? Is it a Dustin situation where everybody is terrible for no reason and you are constantly wishing 2/3rds of the cast dead? It looks bad so I've never actually bothered to read it.

At best Lynn's autobiographical wish fulfillment comic shows she had some severe PPD and other issues. IIRC her husband ran off with her assistant, her gay son's in-comic version married a nice girl he knew all his life and they have two kids, and I have no idea who Liz-comic is based on. In comic, the parents despise their kids, but unlike Dustin, they share the wealth for all three. There is no Favorite Child, all of them are seen as little selfish monsters who never appreciate their parents' sacrifices for them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
FBOW is actually a reasonably average comic unless you know the author's history, things like the story of almost letting her infant child freeze to death, rewriting her gay son into a hetero relationship and that her real life children are estranged from her by their choice. It gives everything really weird and subtly hateful undertones and that's before the weird and directly joyless themes. Everybody in Dustin is an rear end in a top hat because that's what the sitcom is written as. Everybody in FBOW is an rear end in a top hat because of the mistaken belief that mother knows best and actually you'll appreciate this when you're older. It's like Luann, the author thinks they're presenting a long suffering voice of reason instead of a big phial of poison shaped like a human.

I skip it daily but the thread osmosis has been interesting to say the least. And when I do look I can't blame Michael for getting the gently caress out.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
FBOW is a comic about emotion abuse/manipulation , and how Lynn is always so put upon and no one appreciates her, and her children are horrid monsters that should be GRATEFUL that they are treated like Flesh-Robots and not people with their own thoughts and feelings.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

You know who isn't hated by his progeny? Greg.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jesus Bernice, get some therapy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (October 29-31, 1934)

Hey Lefty, what the gently caress?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Doomykins posted:

FBOW is actually a reasonably average comic unless you know the author's history, things like the story of almost letting her infant child freeze to death, rewriting her gay son into a hetero relationship and that her real life children are estranged from her by their choice. It gives everything really weird and subtly hateful undertones and that's before the weird and directly joyless themes. Everybody in Dustin is an rear end in a top hat because that's what the sitcom is written as. Everybody in FBOW is an rear end in a top hat because of the mistaken belief that mother knows best and actually you'll appreciate this when you're older. It's like Luann, the author thinks they're presenting a long suffering voice of reason instead of a big phial of poison shaped like a human.

I skip it daily but the thread osmosis has been interesting to say the least. And when I do look I can't blame Michael for getting the gently caress out.

Jesus... :stare:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Also, FOA is good please keep posting it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
For Better or For Worse's fatal flaw is that there isn't an obvious one. It all just feels like a normal slice-of-life strip - The kids are too darn rambunctious! Our teen son is cocky, but oblivious! Isn't family life a headache, but the good kind? - until you read it regularly. After a while you realize that only the mother is without sin, all her children are either ungrateful shits or active nuisances in her life. Her husband sometimes cruises through and is the "cool dad." Every other parent she encounters doesn't share her misery, she's confused by their ambivalence and resents them for it.

I stand by my thesis that Lynn Johnson only married and had children because she had been conditioned to believe that, as a woman in a certain generation, it was her designated role in life. It was not a lifestyle that suited her. FOOB became her therapy, which is why it's ugly and angry and routinely betrays her inability to honestly self-assess.

Also, it's REALLY hard to look past the whole incident where she thanks an angel for giving her the wisdom of "Do not kill your infant by throwing him outside into the Canadian winter." I know that exists outside the text but, once you hear it, it feels like the Rosetta Stone for the whole goddamn endeavor.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 28, 2021

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FBOW also got a lot of flack at the end of its first run for being so depressingly conservative and old fashioned. Michael marries his high school sweetheart and buys his parents' house to raise his own set of children. Liz gives up an exciting career to marry her high school sweetheart, the most boring man alive and become a homemaker. April begins dating her middle school sweetheart.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
In the strip, Michael is a ...well a photographer of some sort. He is covering a car accident, or comes across one, and becomes the hero by pulling a lady out of the vehicle.
It's the childhood sweetheart that he lost touch with! They get married, and have children.

In Reality, Micheal doesn't find out that she was in that car until later, and she had died from the injuries. It hosed him up for a while. Also, he is gay.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

For Better or For Worse's fatal flaw is that there isn't an obvious one. It all just feels like a normal slice-of-life strip - The kids are too darn rambunctious! Our teen son is cocky, but oblivious! Isn't family life is a headache, but the good kind? - until you read it regularly. After a while you realize that only the mother is without sin, all her children are either ungrateful shits or active nuisances in her life. Her husband sometimes cruises through and is the "cool dad." Every other parents she encounters doesn't share her misery, she's confused by their ambivalence and resents them for it.

I stand by my thesis that Lynn Johnson only married and had children because she had been conditioned to believe that, as a woman in a certain generation, it was her designated role in life. It was not a lifestyle that suited her. FOOB became her therapy, which is why it's ugly and angry and routinely betrays her inability to honestly self-assess.

I agree with all of this.

As far as its appeal goes, well, the original audience would not have been reading this thing as closely as we do. Most people reading the comics pages drift in and out. Even the people who made a point to read it every day and buy the collections would not then have a forum to go to and share their thoughts about the strip and dissect every plot point and compare to the author's real life. Much easier to miss the toxic undercurrent when you're not reading it under a microscope.

Besides that, Foob started in the 80's. I know "it was a different time" gets tired, but there were still a LOT of parents back then who, like Lynn, probably should never have had kids but who bowed to societal pressure. You grow up, you get married, you have two or three kids. It's just what you do. So that means there were lots of people reading the strip who, of course, loved their kids with their whole hearts, but also kind of low key hated those little shits. And they'd read Foob and be like, "Yeah. This is so true."

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Johnny Aztec posted:

Jesus Bernice, get some therapy.

Like, she's dated people in the strip before, hasn't she? This would only make sense if she'd literally never kissed a boy before.

Also weird when you take into account that she's been salivating over Jack for weeks and weeks. What did she expect was going to happen there?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Like, she's dated people in the strip before, hasn't she? This would only make sense if she'd literally never kissed a boy before.

Also weird when you take into account that she's been salivating over Jack for weeks and weeks. What did she expect was going to happen there?

Bernice proposed to Zane at one point. And was awkwardly sexually harassed by Ann Eiffel years before that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

The same thing I've been expecting: a graphic strip where Jack is just railing her. Pure poundage. A single panel, yet the illusion of repetitive, relentless movement is there.

(But for real, it's going to loop around to "Bernice thinks she's been leading Jack on - which is all in her head - and feels guilty. Jack, a dumb hunk of meat, remains utterly sexless.")

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Green Intern posted:

Hey Lefty, what the gently caress?

He could have better illustrated his point thus.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JethroMcB posted:

For Better or For Worse's fatal flaw is that there isn't an obvious one.

Yeah, I grew up reading it, we had various collections, it was a well-liked slice of life comic. But then you find out about... everything, and suddenly little things you never really thought about stand out and storylines take on new meaning and you start realising that it's actually kind of hosed up. It's a tragedy, really.

Also, good lord, Bernice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

The upshot of foob relative to a lot of strips was that the characters aged, and things happened that changed the state of the world. Relative to the soap strips where nothing ever loving happens, it’s at least a little interesting to follow for that reason