Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
It's not a contribution to a derail if it's a twitter thread!

https://twitter.com/qntm/status/1397625844877565952

...which culminates in...

https://twitter.com/qntm/status/1397649346146013192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/MargBarAmerica/status/1397752926840537088

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Reading a Wikipedia page that sums up a hundred episodes of character and plot will really not give you a good idea what the show is like!!!
We watched it mate, that's how we know the ending was poo poo :v:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Conrad_Birdie posted:

LOST is great and answers a ton of questions and most actual fans of the show think it concluded brilliantly and JJ had little to do with the show other than producing it after the first season and it’s wild that it’s still a lazy internet joke! YES this IS one of my sore subjects, how can you tell? Reading a Wikipedia page that sums up a hundred episodes of character and plot will really not give you a good idea what the show is like!!!

Lol you only think this because anyone who called themselves “true fans” by the end, or still consider themselves actual fans, are the odd ones out. Everyone else either stopped watching when they realized most mysteries wouldn’t have a real payoff and once the show quality dropped anyways, or watched to the end and still recognized it as a bad show with poor direction.

I watched it all, but the last 3 seasons were through sheer force of wanting to see to the end despite the poo poo they were pumping out by that point.

It’s like if in 5 years there’s ardent defenders of GoT, despite the last few seasons being weak and the final two being atrocious. Those defenders will somehow insist that no one else is really a fan, so they just don’t understand the real quality of the show.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Most mysteries in lost did have payoffs they were just inconsequential and doled out in args (the numbers) or that epilogue video on the dvd set (the Hurley bird). The main thrust of the show’s plot was straight forward.

I liked the show a lot, and thought the ending was fine. Was fresh off the disappointment of the x-files though, and there’s a series that really stumbled. The episode about the history of Jacob and the man in black was pretty bad though.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Milo and POTUS posted:

What I wouldn't give to get him and fruity rudy in a room

He's in San Francisco where there isn't any fat people.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

It's actually fine that there wasn't a plan. You don't really need a plan. If you make 3 good things that sorta go together people will just assume you had all that figured out with some big whiteboard covered in postits and string even if you didn't. Just look at the original Star Wars trilogy.

The real problem with the Star Wars sequels is they followed up a fine first one and interesting second one with a third one that was just a massive pile of rear end.

if you know you're making a trilogy why would you not figure out the story beforehand? that's insane. even if the details of the first draft are later changed in the sequels for whatever reason there should at least be a draft. just because good things can happen without planning doesn't mean "wing it" is a good strategy.

like yeah star wars, indiana jones and back to the future were pretty good trilogies that weren't super tightly plotted beforehand, but that's because none of those directors knew beforehand that their movies would have sequels. that even led to awkward story beats like the first 15 minutes of back to the future 2, or leia kissing her brother and the "from a certain point of view" retcon

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Ambitious Spider posted:

Most mysteries in lost did have payoffs they were just inconsequential and doled out in args (the numbers) or that epilogue video on the dvd set (the Hurley bird). The main thrust of the show’s plot was straight forward.

I liked the show a lot, and thought the ending was fine. Was fresh off the disappointment of the x-files though, and there’s a series that really stumbled. The episode about the history of Jacob and the man in black was pretty bad though.

I think lost probably benefits from being able to binge it as opposed to waiting a week or an off-season to see what happens next. When my wife and I burned through it years back, anything that didn't feel like it had the best payoff was less disappointing and the parts we enjoyed were still fresh. I think the only time I was bummed out a little was at the very end of the last season, but even that was more of a "well I kind of wish it went in direction X instead of Y" than feeling cheated.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1398000690761453571

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

rodbeard posted:

Gone Fishin' [...] J.J. Abrams movie.

Good lord, you weren't kidding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mobzw/status/1397582408816513034

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
There's a lot to be said for and against the writing/plotting of Lost but I think most people forget how hard the continuity was hit by the writer's strike in the 4th season. (And pretty much every other show that was on the air during 2007. Seriously, you can look at TV from the era and see it running through everything like damage in tree rings or geological strata)

Everything season 1-3 was solid. Seasons 4 - 6 had bright moments but it was on the strength of the established character relationships and actors in spite of the writing. I do remember being satisfied with the ending at the time it aired but I was a teenager and didn't know any better.

And people complained about there not being answers to mysteries but frankly a lot of the show's most eyerollingly bad moments were due to trying to shove in hamfisted lore and backstories to unnecessary things at the last minute. Not everything needs an explanation!! I didn't need to know why there was a weird green bird or how the Black Rock got there. And the less said about the time travel the better.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Fyadophobic posted:

And people complained about there not being answers to mysteries but frankly a lot of the show's most eyerollingly bad moments were due to trying to shove in hamfisted lore and backstories to unnecessary things at the last minute. Not everything needs an explanation!! I didn't need to know why there was a weird green bird or how the Black Rock got there. And the less said about the time travel the better.
You don't need to have answers to things if they're inconsequential side things, but if you focus your story on them you either need to have satisfying answers or do a drat good job of subverting expectations. Like a mystery novel that ends with "I guess we will never know who did the murder or how" is probably gonna be crap. Later Lost has hamfisted lore and backstory because the later seasons' writers had to try to post-facto make something up to justify earlier plot points. It's chickens coming home to roost, not later writers not being as good as earlier ones.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

Like a mystery novel that ends with "I guess we will never know who did the murder or how" is probably gonna be crap.

hercule poirot calls everyone to the parlor. when the guests arrive one of them looks out the window only to see him bolting away in the distance because he has no idea what the gently caress

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

"after talking to everybody, hearing your stories, and looking at the evidence, i've finally realized the truth of the murder: does it really matter what exactly happened? do we need to hash out every detail, explain every little thing? sometimes the journey is more important than the destination. didn't we have a lot of fun here tonight? wasn't it engaging and interesting? yes, the ending is a bit of a letdown, but the overall experience isn't the lesser for it"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The real murderer is the friends we made along the way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ghosthorse posted:

also Abrams just revealed in an interview that they didn't plan the star wars sequels out or knew what they were going to do before they made each one

I mean neither did lucas

Fricking owns, wish it was someone else

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean neither did lucas
Fricking owns, wish it was someone else

Yeah and return of the Jedi is a mess

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Nottherealaborn posted:

It’s like if in 5 years there’s ardent defenders of GoT, despite the last few seasons being weak and the final two being atrocious. Those defenders will somehow insist that no one else is really a fan, so they just don’t understand the real quality of the show.

I don't know if I would say ardent, but the show's first 6 seasons are fine, the books are good and I enjoyed the latest Westeros history book GRRM put out a couple years ago. The "journey vs. destination" really does depend on the type of show. If you set up a whole bunch of exciting and intriguing mysteries then the destination is extremely important, and the better the pay-off the more people will enjoy it. But in a fantasy universe where there's thousands of years of history behind the story and the world will keep on spinning once the story is over, it can definitely be enjoyable to learn about the characters and the setting, the "final showdown between light and darkness" isn't really as important.

I can't defend the last two seasons though. God, what garbage.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nWhQO6joQs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Evangelion openings
Yet you forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnNakMdvXk

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Nahh A Cruel Angle's Thesis is the classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZL5qeEKj0

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

LOST is great and answers a ton of questions and most actual fans of the show think it concluded brilliantly and JJ had little to do with the show other than producing it after the first season and it’s wild that it’s still a lazy internet joke! YES this IS one of my sore subjects, how can you tell? Reading a Wikipedia page that sums up a hundred episodes of character and plot will really not give you a good idea what the show is like!!!

As the "Guy who will defend Lost to the death" in any given room I'm in, every conversation is:

Person: So wasn't there a polar bear? What was the deal with that, did they ever explain it?

Me: Yes, but the explanation makes sense, and will make you go "Oh" and be disappointed because you didn't know what you wanted it to be, but it wasn't that.

Person: Try me.

Me: Part of the island had a zoological research base and it had polar bears.

Person: Oh.

(I know there's a much more weird explanation for WHY there were polar bears but still)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wait is this not a real anime? I recognized the song from this video

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

hahahah i hope this is real

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean neither did lucas

For the originals Lucas didn't think he'd get to make a sequel and possibly any movies again since the studio had little faith in it through the whole production. The prequels he supposedly had planned for years.

Abrams was given the first star wars sequel with 0 outline for what they really wanted it to do or become which is a terrible way to do it if you know you want three connected stories. Especially if you're going to spend roughly a billion dollars in making and marketing them.

Also Abrams did the new star trek movies and people are apparently very mad at him still.

https://twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/1397699802046078979?s=19

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I assumed they wanted him to make make a solid movie with a sequel hook. He failed at that for both franchises but he it didn’t really effect his career in any real way so you don’t need to defend him to hard

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1398072243767422985

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://twitter.com/martinmherlihy/status/1397587586860961795

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah and return of the Jedi is a mess

Jedi owns you halfwit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/socalledcharlie/status/1397916533867745280

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnhhBoioCI

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah as someone who was telling people I would reimburse them if they rented the first DVD of the first season of Lost and didn’t get hooked (as second season was starting), and watched it religiously in real time to the end, gently caress that show.

Part of the problem was the strike and such but the bigger problem was that Lindelof kept claiming in interviews it was a hard sci-fi show and that they had a 500 page bible they wrote before the first season and they had the whole show plotted out and there was a scientific explanation for everything, and then it turned out nope.

I don’t dislike Lindelof for exploring his Catholicism through sci-fi, but I disliked him for lying about the intent of the show.

Also that every year the writer’s room almost completely turned over because of the popularity and them all getting their own shows so whatever continuity could exist got blown apart.

The final season initially feels satisfying because they introduced a bunch of new mysteries and wrapped them up while leaving a bunch of old stuff hanging. It was just a shitshow. The Joker literally pulls out Lost as example in a Batman game about how disappointing getting answers will be because writers suck at coming up with them, to lampshade there being no good reason the Joker would be alive in the game.

“How come it all ended in a CHURCH?”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GndAZ2cyh0k

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Part of me thinks Lindeloff might have been telling the truth about the show bible and then they threw it all out when everyone online guessed they were all in limbo. The hard sci-fi was a misdirect.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I never watched the show, but are you saying Lindelof changed the show because people guessed correctly what was going to happen? Because if so that's some Vince McMahon level pettiness.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What show or movie or book series was it where fans guessed the ending so they changed the ending? I feel like Lost did that too because everyone immediately guessed that the big twist was they were all dead and they panicked.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

tbf it's possible that the writers were being completely honest when they said that the twist wasn't that they were dead because at that point they had no idea what the twist was going to be at all

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

vyelkin posted:

What show or movie or book series was it where fans guessed the ending so they changed the ending? I feel like Lost did that too because everyone immediately guessed that the big twist was they were all dead and they panicked.

Westworld, which if I'm not mistaken directly caused it to poo poo the bed and lose fan investment.

and yeah I don't know if there's any confirm on LOST-- I didn't know the writer's room turned over almost completely each season and :lol: at that-- but I wouldn't be shocked at all if scrawled on the whiteboard in the main office was "they can't already be dead" in increasingly faded ink for all those years.

Stexils posted:

tbf it's possible that the writers were being completely honest when they said that the twist wasn't that they were dead because at that point they had no idea what the twist was going to be at all
And I think everyone agrees there's nothing wrong with that, but writers in the last 15 years especially keep falling prey to two common pitfalls:

1. A reluctance to be "just" a typical satisfying narrative ending. There's this weird pretension and pressure to be an "innovator" and "get people talking."

2. The aforementioned desire to outplay their audience instead of focusing on just telling a story. It's like they all forgot the basic writer's lesson "no one really hates exposition, they just hate exposition when they can tell it's just exposition."

And fans definitely feed into this with all that CinemaSins/RLM amateur critique horseshit where pointing out the trees is seen as equivalent to dismantling the forest.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 04:14 on May 28, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

vyelkin posted:

That would be Westworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Memento posted:

I never watched the show, but are you saying Lindelof changed the show because people guessed correctly what was going to happen? Because if so that's some Vince McMahon level pettiness.

He wouldn't be the only person in charge of making that decision, but if you watch the first season that seems like such a likely idea that it makes you wonder if it was either the original plan, that they changed, or a deliberate misdirect.

Another possibility is he was telling the truth about the bible, and it being hard sci-fi and studio heads interfered at a certain point.