Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

hard counter posted:

guys, guys

bebe glazer

Hello, Puddin'

:biglips:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Hound posted:

Relationships and sex as presented in 1990s sitcoms were pretty messed up

Yeah, we call it Romcom Poisoning over in r/relationships for a reason.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Achmed Jones posted:

how about not doing weird thirsty posts?

unless they're about marice or martin. then it's cool

If being thirsty for Roz is weird, then I guess I'm weird :shrug:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Achmed Jones posted:

how about not doing weird thirsty posts?

unless they're about marice or martin. then it's cool

Okay

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, we call it Romcom Poisoning over in r/relationships for a reason.

That's a fabulous term and I wish someone had grabbed me by the shoulders and shouted it into my face in my early twenties when I felt like poo poo but was doing perfectly fine

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Martin is an all time Top Ten TV character

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

TV: men are relentlessly horny beasts who want sex more than anything 24/7 and women have to be flattered, cajoled, or otherwise tricked into it

Me as a kid: I sure hope this doesn't give me any bullshit neurotic complexes that I'll need to unpack and reexamine once I grow up

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

watching the episode with frasier cranes humongous rear end contest

fuckin classic

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

watching the episode with frasier cranes humongous rear end contest

fuckin classic

That episode rules if you can avoid wondering why a stodgy AM talk radio station like KACL would ever hire a pair of frat bro shock jocks like Carlos and the Chicken

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cosmik Slop posted:

That episode rules if you can avoid wondering why a stodgy AM talk radio station like KACL would ever hire a pair of frat bro shock jocks like Carlos and the Chicken

Given what we see the management is like it doesn't seem that surprising. Though I imagine it's more they couldn't pass up the opportunity given how much the frat bro dj stereotype is apparently universal, showing up everywhere from Daria to Dragon Ball Abridged.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They already have Bulldog so it's not weird at all. KACL never seemed to have a specific characterization other than "a radio station" which is fine, left room for whatever radio jokes they had.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cosmik Slop posted:

I can answer this!

In the 90s there was an FM Talk Radio station in Los Angeles. They were anchored by Howard Stern in the mornings, (like 5-10am), then filler like an Entertainment/Hollywood Chatter show (10-12), a local trio for the early afternoon (12-3), TOOOOOOOooooooOOOOoooM LEEEYYYYYYYYKIS for the afternoon drive (3-6), Tim Conway Jr for the evening drive (6-8), a generic dude in the night (8-11). And then for the late shift, some bro-team of libertarian/conservative Gen X morons [john and jeff] (11-2).

I can easily see KACL deciding to shake the mornings up with their dime-store Howard Stern knockoffs to try and get some new blood into their demos.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A list of shows KACL has aired

Gardening
Religion
Cooking
Restaurant Reviews
Psychiatric Advice
Sports
Cars
Theater
Pets
A second psychiatric advice show
Morning Zoo
Nature

No politics or news though (the big money makers in talk)

With such a wildly changing and strange schedule its no surprise they were forced- to change to the far more lucrative and stable climes of salsa

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Gardening
Religion
Cooking
Restaurant Reviews
Psychiatric Advice
Sports
Cars
Theater
Pets
Morning Zoo
Nature

With such a wildly changing and strange schedule its no surprise they were forced- to change to the far more lucrative and stable climes of salsa

Honestly it's not too divorced from that radio station I mentioned in my post above. They had:

Morning Zoo
ENTERTAINMENT
Local Gossip
Hot Takes/Shock Jock
Variety Duo Call-In
Phil Hendrie
ENTERTAINMENT / LOCAL NEWS
Late Night Zoo
Restaurant Reviews
Movie/Film Talk
Cigar/Wine Afficionado
Car Talk
And probably some other poo poo I never gave the time of day to like INVESTING or SPORTS

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Why you're Frasier Crane! I listen to your show all the time!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Frasier's version of this is a lot of fun to sing, you don't even need to know the words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aumM2asVqWU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lilith is only in like 12 episodes I think which is nuts. It feels like a lot more because those are almost all of my favorite episodes. Followed by Bebe's.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Rascar Capac posted:

Frasier 2077.

Someone seems to have run with this theme....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwpjaXarsDc

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Gardening
Religion
Cooking
Restaurant Reviews
Psychiatric Advice
Sports
Cars
Theater
Pets
Morning Zoo
Nature

Traffic with Chopper Dave

okiedoke
Aug 24, 2008

I am the Doke to the Okie
After marathoning through Frasier and keeping up with this thread, I decided to revisit Cheers. Doesn't hold up nearly as well and I had to skip the first couple seasons cause the Sam/Diane combo sucked. Coach was the real MVP.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I also started watching cheers, but I'm skipping around to the frasier episodes. I'm more interested in frasier than anything. I just need more frasier content.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Cheers, ironically, depresses the hell out of me. Part of it is that it represents the blue-collar 80s that I grew up in and worked to get away from, and part of it is that everyone looks old as hell even though they aren't (Norm was, what, 35 at the start of Cheers? dude looked about 60), but mostly it just gives me the same feeling that The Deuce gives me, that everyone was impossibly beat down back then and escaped into booze drugs and sex to get away from it, and things might have a different veneer now but they haven't changed at all. Cheers and every other pleasure-hole in the world (bars, video games, whatever) is Hotel California.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 23, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Cheers: Frasier Origins

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The "[character] from Cheers stops by" episodes did a great job of making me never want to watch Cheers

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pretty much. I’m struggling to think of a single crossover episode that made the Cheers character interesting in the least.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Pretty much. I’m struggling to think of a single crossover episode that made the Cheers character interesting in the least.

I like the one where Woody shows up because it's played straight- there's no real reason for them to hang out and Frasier is immediately sick of him. The reveal at the end is great and overall it ends up being a very sweet episode- a fitting way to close the door on Cheers (more than the one where they go to Boston, anyway). Excepting that, every Lilith episode is good if we're counting her appearances in Frasier as still part of the Cheers extended universe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ll admit that I never actually watched that one all the way through and always skip it on my binges. Just checked it out now and it was kind of sweet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When woody visits and Frasier wants him gone so he makes a big deal of how glad he is woody came by and he will always consider him a friend, woody agrees and they embrace and then woody asks where they’re going for dinner always makes me laugh

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Communist Walrus posted:

The "[character] from Cheers stops by" episodes did a great job of making me never want to watch Cheers

They're all terrible but Cheers is good. Frasier is extremely different as a character, that's for sure.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Inspector Hound posted:

They're all terrible but Cheers is good. Frasier is extremely different as a character, that's for sure.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

martin, tell eddie he either puts down that sliced wagyu or i put HIM down

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When can technology give us the Cheers/Always Sunny crossover we deserve

e can't decide what the Danny DeVito situation would be, I'm leaning towards "old and young DeVito interact as their respective characters but in the whole bar only Charlie acknowledges that they are the same person"

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 28, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Inspector Hound posted:

When can technology give us the Cheers/Always Sunny crossover we deserve

e can't decide what the Danny DeVito situation would be, I'm leaning towards "old and young DeVito interact as their respective characters but in the whole bar only Charlie acknowledges that they are the same person"

DeVito never appeared in Cheers. You’re thinking of Taxi.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Your semi-annual reminder that taxi ruled and was ahead of its time

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Your semi-annual reminder that taxi ruled and was ahead of its time

Taxi is really good. Everyone is great in it. If you want to watch it I would recommend hunting down the dvds. Not all the episodes are available streaming. I’m not sure if it’s a music issue. I haven’t watched it in a while so I’d have to check out the missing episodes to see if that’s the case.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

have an image i found because i keep misreading the thread title

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

When I watched it in the 90s I never realized just how good of a casting choice David Hyde Pierce was as Frasier's brother

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

DeVito never appeared in Cheers. You’re thinking of Taxi.

I actually gasped, I'm ashamed

Maybe a running joke about the dynamic between him and Rhea Perlman, they fall in love or hate each other or whatever. And now a Taxi crossover, where Andy Kaufman and Charlie become friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inspector Hound posted:

I actually gasped, I'm ashamed

And now a Taxi crossover, where Andy Kaufman and Charlie become friends.

I would watch the hell out of that.