Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TheRat posted:

who the gently caress is 'the uk soccer guy'

I think it’s ninpo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

if it helps, apparently the bernabeu is burning down, so that's nice

https://twitter.com/elchiringuitotv/status/1397628703216226304

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
You should be thankful to your American owners. Please just ignore the fact they loaned the CIA their private planes to perform extraordinary renditions to torture black sites.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

FullLeatherJacket posted:

UEFA's goon squad wasting no time handing out extrajudicial punishment I see

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Perez taking his shot at insurance fraud I guess

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Sandwolf posted:

Does insurance cover baldness?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Holy fuckin poo poo please let all three get thrown out into the gutter with mountains of debt

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Real Betis finished in 6th place with a 40-year-old captain playing regularly lol. Last time I saw a Premier League player this old was probably Teddy Sheringham at West Ham.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Merritt Paulson tried to swing on me once when I heckled him at a match and said "you should spend more of your father's cash on better defenders" (his dad is Hank Paulson, former CEO of Goldman Sachs)

being a Timbers supporter is enough of a shitshow without having to deal with his petulant rear end.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Sandwolf posted:

Definitely my theory on what started the fire

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Barcelona's on the dole!
Kante's trequartista role!
Roma's under Mourinho!
I can't take it any mooore!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
When the knife’s in your arse,
And they’re parking the bus,
That’s mourinhoooo

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

brocked posted:

Barcelona's on the dole!
Kante's trequartista role!
Roma's under Mourinho!
I can't take it any mooore!

Harry Kane, Son Heung-min
Poch is coming back again
Van Dijk crocked, Conte sacked
Brendan needs his bottle back
Players are pro Palestine, crush them in the headlines
Perez burnt the Bernabeu, Neymar assaults women now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bundy posted:

Neymar assaults women now

"'now" seems generous considering his history

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

"'now" seems generous considering his history

It was consensual with his mother

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Bundy posted:

Harry Kane, Son Heung-min
Poch is coming back again
Van Dijk crocked, Conte sacked
Brendan needs his bottle back
Players are pro Palestine, crush them in the headlines
Perez burnt the Bernabeu, Neymar assaults women now

But the greatest of them all
Zinedine Zidane

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/theMadridZone/status/1399106781448704001
:yeshaha:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao if true

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hm, yes, seems likely.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
That's loving absurd and has been from the start. Good luck enforcing that poo poo Perez

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Official Super League sources... have they even actually incorporated? Do they actually have employees?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Official Super League sources is code for “Florentino Perez”

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Didn’t JP Morgan do a public apology for being involved?

I’m sure they will definitely be up for diving right back in, launching enforcement action against former members and dragging their brand through the mud over a loan that’s the size of the company’s annual paper clip budget.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EUCourtPress/status/1399272856228356097
The Super League have gotten their case to the European Court of Justice, their argument is that UEFA and FIFA are in violation of EU law by attempting to prevent the Super League from existing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I dont think anyone has prevented the league from existing, have they?

e: And madrid courts are worth about as much as your average bowel movement when it comes to matters pertaining to Real Madrid

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Being told you can't have your cake and eat it is not the same as being prevented from having cake

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

They have been saying “They can’t really leave!! They have to pay!! They’re still in!!” from the start and it has been idiotic poo poo the whole time

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

freeedr posted:

They have been saying “They can’t really leave!! They have to pay!! They’re still in!!” from the start and it has been idiotic poo poo the whole time

I’ve come to the conclusion that Madrid, Barca and Juve think they can effectively extort 300m out of each former “member” of the ESL and that’s the only reason they haven’t pulled out themselves.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

trem_two posted:

https://twitter.com/EUCourtPress/status/1399272856228356097
The Super League have gotten their case to the European Court of Justice, their argument is that UEFA and FIFA are in violation of EU law by attempting to prevent the Super League from existing.

Tbh they probably are

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

African AIDS cum posted:

Tbh they probably are

No one stopped them from going ahead with the Super League. They all just backed out after the fan backlash

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Ya UEFA saying you can't be in the CL if you compete in the new league isn't against any laws

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

Official Super League sources... have they even actually incorporated? Do they actually have employees?

So I'm still kind of wondering about this: does the EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE COMPANY, S.L. actually have any employees? an office? an address? or is it all just run by Perez's PA and maybe his nephew or something?

Here's what the ESL has produced officially:

A website: https://thesuperleague.com/index.html, whose favicon just looks like a big zero and that only provides a list of teams and...
A press release: https://thesuperleague.com/press.html this is basically the only other content on the website, it's the one they put out on 4/20
An Instagram page? https://www.instagram.com/europesuperleaguesofficial/ This one's probably fake like the rest but it's got that low-effort vibe that feels genuine at least. One post that says official ESL picture DO NOT STEAL and then they followed 11 of the 12 original members and some Turkish dude.
A Facebook page? gently caress that place I don't know.
They do NOT have a Twitter

https://twitter.com/ESL/status/1384146690517598209

If anyone wants to spend €5, it looks like you can just look them up in the Spanish company registry and find out their tax ID and the location of their office according to this website https://www.strongabogados.com/company-search.php

I guess they have to be registered to secure that funding from JP Morgan but then again it could have just been a bunch of gentlemen's agreements and Perez is pissing Real Madrid's money up the wall on legal fees and the rest. Whatever happens, it's going to be fun watching the house of cards collapse.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya UEFA saying you can't be in the CL if you compete in the new league isn't against any laws

It could be antitrust etc

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

It could be antitrust etc

Still you can't take away the inherent difficulty in arguing that you are screwed over by a cartel when you are an even more of a cartel

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I feel like since it's pretty accepted that you can't be in multiple competing competitions at once (for example, a team can't play in both La Liga and the Premier League) it probably doesn't violate antitrust laws to say that if you join a competition that conflicts with one you're already in, the existing one can kick you out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

Still you can't take away the inherent difficulty in arguing that you are screwed over by a cartel when you are an even more of a cartel

That's true, its all a poo poo show

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

vyelkin posted:

I feel like since it's pretty accepted that you can't be in multiple competing competitions at once (for example, a team can't play in both La Liga and the Premier League) it probably doesn't violate antitrust laws to say that if you join a competition that conflicts with one you're already in, the existing one can kick you out.

esp since they said it was supposed to replace the CL

have a better shout arguing with the national FAs, but UEFA? nope

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Karl Sharks posted:

esp since they said it was supposed to replace the CL
Yeah I'm trying to figure how the three clubs argue successfully argue "Your honor, we are entitled to play in both this competition and the competition we created in order to replace it because we thought we were above taking part in it at the time."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it would be extremely funny to me if backing the super league ended up taking out the EU after some nerd in a courtroom decides that whatever documents were available are totally valid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Huh, just realised the volleyball nations League is just like this. 12 teams always qualified, can't be relegated, 4 other teams. Different because it's a national comp, but even so..