Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

has anyone specifically created a combat vehicle for use in urban combat? most seem really ill suited for the task.

f-35 is the pinnacle of urban combat vehicles like that

just like with airplanes, you can't actually do poo poo other than carpet bomb areas with just drones, if you want to hold territory you're gonna need people on the ground

usa tried the approach a lot, most famously in vietnam where they dropped 2-3 times the amount of explosives compared to the entire ww2 and flattened entire regions. while the terror and devastation was immense, it didn't end up going so well for them. i think if israel tried that now that the narrative isn't so favourable to carpet bombing gaza anymore they couldn't get away with it anyway tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I listened to the new Radio War Nerd and thought it was especially interesting how the Israelis were afraid of even getting near the Konkurs atgm teams, which is one of the real reasons why they didn't want to do another ground invasion. So I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find out why, since there's obvious contradictions in how Israel claims they conducted themselves in combat and what they actually did.

If you look at what the Israelis claim about the Trophy APS (active protection system) deployed on Merkava IV tanks, they whoop up the fact that of the 12 vehicles fired upon by missiles from Gaza none of them were penetrated. The APS system worked as advertised. The problem with this is, Israel never attempted any kind of ground invasion of Gaza. Their vehicles were deployed at long distances over flat terrain where you can see anything coming. Those are ideal conditions for the radar sensors on an APS to detect incoming projectiles and divert or destroy them. It also makes it easier for them to defend against the traditional means of defeating APS, which is to use dummy fire or multiple projectiles to dupe the radar or force the APS to spend its munitions. At every conceptual level Israeli forces were operating in optimal conditions. So what do they have to be afraid of?

In urban combat everything changes. You're driving down streets with obstacles on either side, or driving by rubble which presents massive clutter for a radar system. That effectively makes APS useless, especially when somebody with an RPG can go up to the top of a high rise and shoot down into your top armor. Most APS systems aren't designed to defend against this, and if you're close enough there's no time to respond.

You don't need an RPG to knock out armor in an urban environment. I mean you can and it's a shooting gallery, but not everyone will have access to heavy ordinance.

During the invasion of Chechnya in the late 90's there was a disastrous series of tank rushes by Russia into Chechnya under the Yeltsin administration. Some tank columns were destroyed because a few up front and back were blown up on long highways. With no way to pass everything in the middle was captured or destroyed. Mostly destroyed. Hundreds of tanks and many more of the tankers inside were killed.

But when tanks did make it into urban areas what knocked them out were carpets soaked in gasoline that were tossed onto the tops of tanks from buildings. Even though the tank wouldn't immediately take damage the tankers inside were usually roasted to death and they couldn't escape because escaping through the hatch up top just meant roasting to death faster. And in an urban environment enough tanks getting knocked out become further obstructions on the roads. Any tank trapped between two tanks are pretty much guaranteed to die under "carpet bombing" (heh) and those rugs will burn hot and burn for a while. Getting the rugs off will require touching burning gasoline maybe with hand tools while under fire. So anyone inside of the tank is probably hosed within the space of a few minutes. Also the main gun of a tank and any machine guns don't have the firing arc to hit anyone very high up. So tankers can't respond to fire from above.

Wheeling tanks into an urban area is a bluff to scare the poo poo out of people but every tanker knows that rolling tanks into an urban area can quickly become suicide with extra steps if the civilian populace wants to resist. The tank itself is a projection of power of the state that depending on them says, "Don't make me kill you" or "I have come to kill you". But the tanker inside is screaming, "Please don't kill me, please don't kill me" because it's not particularly hard to knock out a tank in an urban environment.

Ice Phisherman has issued a correction as of 09:39 on May 28, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Truga posted:

just like with airplanes, you can't actually do poo poo other than carpet bomb areas with just drones, if you want to hold territory you're gonna need people on the ground

usa tried the approach a lot, most famously in vietnam where they dropped 2-3 times the amount of explosives compared to the entire ww2 and flattened entire regions. while the terror and devastation was immense, it didn't end up going so well for them. i think if israel tried that now that the narrative isn't so favourable to carpet bombing gaza anymore they couldn't get away with it anyway tho

I get the feeling the IDF likes to legitimately pigeonhole themselves so that they can say they lost due to a lack of superiority in some undefined manner and seem genuine when they say it was due to a lack of technology or expertise

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Truga posted:

i figured they were talking about smaller drones, which iirc have been used as recon or dealing with traps/explosives, both the little flying dorks and treaded ones

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
stilla wondera whatsa exactla isa shanda

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i figured they were talking about smaller drones, which iirc have been used as recon or dealing with traps/explosives, both the little flying dorks and treaded ones

that was what i was thinking, like the boston dynamics mule or w/e, but i guess that stuff's still experimental at this point

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

those are more useful in a "less collateral damage than carpet bombing/shelling" kinda way, but they're still there alongsite troops not as a self-contained option. maybe one day israel will send remote controlled boston dynamics enforcers into gaza but that day isn't today yet :v:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's probably not a great idea to make fighting vehicles out of something you could take out with a baseball bat.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I listened to the new Radio War Nerd and thought it was especially interesting how the Israelis were afraid of even getting near the Konkurs atgm teams, which is one of the real reasons why they didn't want to do another ground invasion. So I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find out why, since there's obvious contradictions in how Israel claims they conducted themselves in combat and what they actually did.

If you look at what the Israelis claim about the Trophy APS (active protection system) deployed on Merkava IV tanks, they whoop up the fact that of the 12 vehicles fired upon by missiles from Gaza none of them were penetrated. The APS system worked as advertised. The problem with this is, Israel never attempted any kind of ground invasion of Gaza. Their vehicles were deployed at long distances over flat terrain where you can see anything coming. Those are ideal conditions for the radar sensors on an APS to detect incoming projectiles and divert or destroy them. It also makes it easier for them to defend against the traditional means of defeating APS, which is to use dummy fire or multiple projectiles to dupe the radar or force the APS to spend its munitions. At every conceptual level Israeli forces were operating in optimal conditions. So what do they have to be afraid of?

thanks for the effortpost

also want you to know i heard this in otacon's voice from MGS

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

has anyone specifically created a combat vehicle for use in urban combat? most seem really ill suited for the task.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYteGJPtgM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMPT_Terminator

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the answer to all possible environmental combat problems is power armour

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Finklestein good? He came across as odd more than anything in the Defamation documentary.

he may be the angriest man in the world, but he's got some very good reasons to be that way

i'd recommend reading/ listening up on everything between him and dershowitz:

finkelstein explained that dershowitz's history book was fake, so dershowitz starts a vast smear campaign against him - 'you're an anti-semite, your Auschwitz survivor mother was a kapo' and such, ultimately destroying his career, reputation, etc

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VileLL posted:

he may be the angriest man in the world, but he's got some very good reasons to be that way

finkelstein explained that dershowitz's history book was fake, so dershowitz starts a vast smear campaign against him - 'you're an anti-semite, your Auschwitz survivor mother was a kapo' and such, ultimately destroying his career, reputation, etc

i think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you assumed that finklestein's guiding passion in life is his feud with dershowitz.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

But when tanks did make it into urban areas what knocked them out were carpets soaked in gasoline that were tossed onto the tops of tanks from buildings. Even though the tank wouldn't immediately take damage the tankers inside were usually roasted to death and they couldn't escape because escaping through the hatch up top just meant roasting to death faster. And in an urban environment enough tanks getting knocked out become further obstructions on the roads. Any tank trapped between two tanks are pretty much guaranteed to die under "carpet bombing" (heh)

this rules. i love when people beat fancy weapons systems with caveman tactics

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dershowitz plagiarized a book that Finkelstein had previously shown to be a fraud in his doctoral thesis (From Time Immemorial which had been reviewed well over here but got demolished in the British press since Finkelstein's revelations had been written by then). Finkelstein embarrassed Dershowitz on Democracy Now! so Dersh did what he does and threw a fit about it including calling Finkelstein's mom a kapo on the Harvard website and eventually destroyed Finkelstein's academic career because he's a cowardly piece of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzIJDiedrQ

I was also watching this debate between Chomsky and Dershowitz on Israel-Palestine and he's so loving obnoxious he's really transparent here and in the Democracy Now! debate with trying to use all sorts of lawyerly tactics and it's clear he doesn't care about any facts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dvMdSuLKCE

Groovelord Neato has issued a correction as of 14:06 on May 28, 2021

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

VileLL posted:

Dersh just copied whole passages from someone else's book but at least he had his underwear on the whole time

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Finklestein good? He came across as odd more than anything in the Defamation documentary.

Finkelstein is a loving god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vRBingBhKw

Grandpa Palpatine has issued a correction as of 14:18 on May 28, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dershowitz should be minecrafted in Central Park

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Dersh got loving pantsed on that Democracy Now! debate.

Absolutely insane that it affected Finkelstein's career...

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Absolutely insane that it affected Finkelstein's career...

Dersh has been on the Little St. James VIP list since the beginning and his good buddies have been pulling things in his favor for his entire public career

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

yeah, that's one of the fiercest beatdowns in history.

totally predictable it killing his academic career tho. on the other hand, good riddance.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm starting to suspect that Israel is in fact bad

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

oxsnard posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Israel is in fact bad

Survey says! Top answer!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Rutibex posted:

this rules. i love when people beat fancy weapons systems with caveman tactics

You'd be surprised just how many fancy toys that go pew pew can be taken down by caveman tactics.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Stringent posted:

i think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you assumed that finklestein's guiding passion in life is his feud with dershowitz.

oh, for sure, I didn’t mean to imply that so much as give it as context, I guess because it’s such a hideous little moment of cruelty

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Isn't that crying woman Jeff Bezos' sister or something?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ficklestein is this guy? He loving owns!

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/drdominicgreen/status/1398099525852598278?s=21

quote:

The Twitter line of attack on Eve Barlow is to call her ‘Eve Fartlow’. It’s not much of a pun; perhaps it originates in a subliminal association about Jews and the release of gas.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmfao is that about the holocaust joke?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's probably not a great idea to make fighting vehicles out of something you could take out with a baseball bat.

or fall victim to a net :henget:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

these guys all write burns like they're thinking of epic playground comebacks 20 years later

Victory Position posted:

or fall victim to a net :henget:

there's just too many ways to defeat those things if you really think about it. you could even do Looney Tunes poo poo like cover up a hole in the floor, or paint a wall so that the sensors or operator think it's a door and run in full speed.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:03 on May 28, 2021

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pogrom? More like fartgrom!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Those fortunate enough to be spared a daily bath in the sewers of Twitter may need to be filled in. Seth Rogen is to comedy as Chapo Trap House is to Henry Kissinger: a kind of stoned, dirtbag antidote to adulthood. He specializes in depicting that saddest of American male specimens, the pot-smoking, pot-bellied, moob-stricken man-child.

Holy poo poo, imagine using Kissinger as a positive example.

quote:

It was smart of Barlow to smoke out the bullies. By describing what they’re doing, she drew them out in the thousands. So eager were they to insult her that they forgot to don their implausible ‘Free Palestine’ fig leaves and got straight down to the Jew-baiting.

lmao, actually it's good that everyone is owning me online.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 17:05 on May 28, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Say what you will about Seth Rogen, but he did not bomb Cambodia.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I want to wedgie this guy so loving bad

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Dersh has been on the Little St. James VIP list since the beginning and his good buddies have been pulling things in his favor for his entire public career

Can't believe that the guy who built his career defending rich sexpests and murderers would do something like destroy a critic's reputation after being humiliated

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I want to wedgie this guy so loving bad

Lmfao

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
One of norm macdonalds best bits during the OJ trial was having his punchlines be just "man, Alan dershowitz is ugly. Boy is he ugly. Jeez"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

paul_soccer12 posted:

One of norm macdonalds best bits during the OJ trial was having his punchlines be just "man, Alan dershowitz is ugly. Boy is he ugly. Jeez"

He and Richard Epstein (NYU professor that made the hilariously bad COVID death predictions early on and quit Twitter after Isaac Chotiner bodied him in an interview) are like living antisemitic caricatures. Ugly as sin with super annoying whiny voices (though Epstein's is far whinier). I think Felix on Chapo said Tucker puts on Dershowitz to make his antisemitic audience hate Jews more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In urban combat everything changes. You're driving down streets with obstacles on either side, or driving by rubble which presents massive clutter for a radar system. That effectively makes APS useless, especially when somebody with an RPG can go up to the top of a high rise and shoot down into your top armor. Most APS systems aren't designed to defend against this, and if you're close enough there's no time to respond.

Getting that close to the enemy is also a big problem because they can just knock out your sensors with explosives and small arms fire.

This is what the radar system for Trophy looks like. It's totally exposed and you can't miss it. Once it's knocked out you're practically defenseless.

But then the biggest problem is that the Trophy system makes the Merkava's intended purpose impossible. The Merkava is designed to be an infantry support tank, which means it's supposed to provide mobile cover and fire support for advancing soldiers. But the Trophy is a "hard kill" APS system. Soft kill APS tries to deflect incoming fire by duping its sensors with radio, radar, or infrared jamming; but hard kill tries to outright destroy an incoming missile with its own counter munitions. The munitions themselves are small and only create shrapnel in a limited cone, but ATGMs don't simply disintegrate, they fragment.

Any infantry standing near the tank, where they're supposed to, would get shredded by this. So if you're supporting infantry, then you have to turn off the APS and be vulnerable. If you want the APS to be on, then you need to be operating as an isolated fighting vehicle. Sending tanks into urban combat without any infantry support is almost always a death sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l65-OWWHkI4
This video features a lot of test footage of hard kill APS systems, if you want to get a real sense of how dangerous it is to be around one.

The simple solution to the problem is that you send them in anyway. You take the risk that you're going to have some acceptable losses to accomplish an objective - but Israelis don't want to take any risks. They can't tolerate any amount of casualties because it's a massive social and political liability. Their multimillion dollar fighting vehicles are only good for bombing distant targets. They can't do anything about the Gazan tunnel network because they're too afraid to go in there. So instead they resort to artillery and bunker buster bombs, as if all of Gaza is one big board of Battleship.

this was cool, thanks