Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Prey is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You guys actually have me playing it again on Nightmare right now (no hacking run, all lives saved, all bodies and data entries found). Gonna beat it and then probably run through Mooncrash after.

I love how useful the security stations are for finding secrets. Aside from the "Clive was here" hideouts, almost every other secret area can be found via the security station.

Really struggling figuring out how to get inside the locked room in the lobby security office without hacking, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The pass is somewhere on the second floor I think? The guy in there is a big ol SNITCH

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Really struggling figuring out how to get inside the locked room in the lobby security office without hacking, though.

I think there's a sticky note with the code next to the computer in the same place.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GlyphGryph posted:

Think vertically

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
God help me, I'm reinstalling because of this thread again. Think I'll finally get around to my alien powers only & kill 'em all run.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I think there's a sticky note with the code next to the computer in the same place.

Wafflecopper posted:

Think vertically

I've checked everywhere for the note, including the ceiling and the maintenance tunnel above it. I can't for the life of me find it. It's incredibly frustrating!

I might just end up picking up hacking to get through this one door eventually.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ok, you're talking about the code for the holding cell in the security office in the lobby, right? Where the first shotgun is? There's a sticky note on the lamp to the right of Elazar's computer.

If it's not there, something has bugged out and you might as well look up the code.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

are only some of the codes randomized? I thought the one scratched to the wall in the lobby medlab rubber room was

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Goddamnit I tore that room apart three times over, and I've found it twice before, but there it is on the lamp as always, I'm just blind.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

Ok, you're talking about the code for the holding cell in the security office in the lobby, right? Where the first shotgun is?

Oh my bad sorry, I haven’t played in a while and thought OP just meant the room with the shotgun

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I just love the EVA atmosphere in Prey. Exploring the outside, floating around in a pitch-black forest of girders and struts inside the shell of solar panels, never quite sure when you might run into a telepath or technopath. Are there any other games with a similar experience? Subnautica, maybe?

I've found four places where you can get inside the station and find neuromods in hidden supply caches with a few other items. Maybe they're possible locations for Kaspar to hole up, but they're completely optional, otherwise.

-On top of the Hardware Labs
-On top of the Neuromod Division
-Underneath the Shuttle Bay
-At a bottom corner of Deep Storage

And a few more minor supply caches scattered around.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hannibal Rex posted:

I just love the EVA atmosphere in Prey. Exploring the outside, floating around in a pitch-black forest of girders and struts inside the shell of solar panels, never quite sure when you might run into a telepath or technopath. Are there any other games with a similar experience? Subnautica, maybe?

Lone Echo does this but in VR. There's no combat, mostly environmental puzzle solving and exploration, but it captures the feeling of 0g better than anything else I've played VR or not (presumably).

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

When did this game patch in HUD options? Played it at release and think I needed a mod to turn off objective markers.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

spaceblancmange posted:

When did this game patch in HUD options? Played it at release and think I needed a mod to turn off objective markers.

I know that you could unselect an objective from your quest log to remove markers - pretty sure the HUD options have always been there too, though I may be wrong. I generally don't play with objective markers and I didn't have to install a mod at release.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah i'm pretty sure that's been in since release

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I think HUD control has been a thing in Arkane games since... I want to say post-release updates to Dishonored 1

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I think it was in Vanilla D1? I bought it early, turned the markers off, and then had to turn them back on again for a moment due to a "hide the body in a safe location" task requiring it to be stashed in one specific place.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, I finished up my last few achievements in the main game, and finally started Mooncrash. I'm only on the second mission, but I'm very impressed about both the gameplay refinements and the radical new direction. If Deathloop plays like this, I'm super pumped.

Arkane has a really good track record with DLC that refines and improves upon the base game.

Also, I found the neuromod blueprint with the first character, and the time loop blueprint with the second. I'm so going to break this game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think I'm gonna finally give in and buy Mooncrash now. About to beat the game again and I'm thinking I'll still want more when it happens.

SCheeseman posted:

Lone Echo does this but in VR. There's no combat, mostly environmental puzzle solving and exploration, but it captures the feeling of 0g better than anything else I've played VR or not (presumably).

I really wish it didn't get so drat annoying at the end. The beginning was great but then it rapidly becomes nothing but precision floating through super narrow death corridors and boy was that not particularly fun. I missed being out in space.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I never finished this when it first came out and decided to give it a try on a new computer and the sound is completely messed up. NPC voices are incredibly loud and have no direction or dynamics based on distance, as soon as they start talking it just booms in my ears and doesn't change no matter how far I move from them or what direction I face. I don't remember it being like that when I first played it. Is there some kind of fix for this? The 2 suggestions I got from googling were run the game as admin and disable every sound device except the one being used, and neither of them worked.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm finally getting around to this game and love it. Are the percentages in the neuromod descriptions (like sneak attack damage) total or stacking? Paying six mods for an extra 50% surprise damage seems like terrible returns.

I'm into Deep Storage and still don't have any Typhon mods. Friendship ended with Coral, Turret is my new best friend.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

I'm finally getting around to this game and love it. Are the percentages in the neuromod descriptions (like sneak attack damage) total or stacking? Paying six mods for an extra 50% surprise damage seems like terrible returns.

I'm into Deep Storage and still don't have any Typhon mods. Friendship ended with Coral, Turret is my new best friend.

You usually have more then enough neuromods to get whatever you want by the end of the game, especially since you can craft them. This goes double if you're not getting any alien powers.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

If you didn't know already, you can get two Typhon mods before turrets consider you a threat. Unless you plan to play the game multiple times and really care about achievements, you don't need to stay completely human.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't know why, but every time I play this I love it at first and then burn out around 2/3 of the way through. It's weird because I'm a dumb sucker for every other game vaguely like this (SS2, DX & its various sequels, Dishonred, etc.)

Not sure why I keep bailing on it tbh since it's not like there's this one thing about the game that pisses me off or something :iiam:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

been watching my gf play this for the first time ever and she's approached it the opposite way I did lol. I was very dependent on psychic powers; she rushed weapon upgrade/gunsmith stuff and jacked up the shotgun to max ASAP. She basically destroys most enemies with it and treats the game like DOOM, got Psychoshock later on for crowd control. I never prioritized the gunsmith/upgrade paths since I wanted to be Mewtwo but holy poo poo, it's very viable in this game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I will say that fabbing your own neuromods is a bad decision. There really isn't enough of a cost to it, the biggest thing I can think of is the... err, metal? cost of the components, which you still still have more than enough of, but will put a minor crimp in weapon upgrades, but only in hindsight. There where one or two other upgrades like that such as the 'extra resources (which in turn make more neuromods)' picks.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Serephina posted:

I will say that fabbing your own neuromods is a bad decision. There really isn't enough of a cost to it, the biggest thing I can think of is the... err, metal? cost of the components, which you still still have more than enough of, but will put a minor crimp in weapon upgrades, but only in hindsight. There where one or two other upgrades like that such as the 'extra resources (which in turn make more neuromods)' picks.
If you spend money on Excision, neuromods are cheaper than a box of 9mm. While that's somewhat reflective of 2021 real-world ammo prices :haw: I'm still finding myself short of mods because I can repair, hack, lift AND shoot moderately well.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Just had a mimic try to disguise as another's corpse. Close second to that is a medkit jumping out of a grav shaft. I really should try Typhon Hunter.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sorry for the chain posting, but I seem to have bugged fan 3 by knocking the obstruction out with the dart launcher. How was I supposed to do it, and how can I fix it?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Are you talking about Atmosphere Control, or some place in the GUTS?

If it's the former, there's a terminal to shut down the fans and you can simply go in and remove the obstruction before they restart.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I found the solution. I was referring to Fan 3 in Atmosphere Control, where if you dislodge the obstruction in unintended ways (dart gun being my case) you have to either delete the local environment .level file and start again or home you get lucky spamming recyclers.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
In case anyone is getting their Arkane news primarily from this thread, their new game Redfall has been announced. Open-world coop or solo vampire hunting reminiscent of Left 4 Dead and Borderlands.

https://youtu.be/9T_nBy78Ofw

I'm... not excited.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, same here. My knee-jerk reaction was to say that it looks more like a thoughtless copy of a good game (L4D) than an evolution of (or response to) great ones (System Shock/Prey and Thief/Dishonored). But it's Arkane, who hasn't made a game that hasn't pulled me in like great old games did, so I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. And I'm still incredibly looking forward to Deathloop.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

L4D is one of those games I always wanted to like but didn't, so I wouldn't mind seeing them take a stab at it just to see if they can figure out a way for it to grab me. Although the trailer doesn't actually come across as a L4D style game to me, so I dunno! I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was originally a bit disappointed until I realized that "co-op immersive sim" is a thing I've wanted since forever (or at least since System Shock 2).

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Almost any cinematic trailer tells us very little about gameplay. Way too early to judge

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I never finished this when it first came out and decided to give it a try on a new computer and the sound is completely messed up. NPC voices are incredibly loud and have no direction or dynamics based on distance, as soon as they start talking it just booms in my ears and doesn't change no matter how far I move from them or what direction I face. I don't remember it being like that when I first played it. Is there some kind of fix for this? The 2 suggestions I got from googling were run the game as admin and disable every sound device except the one being used, and neither of them worked.
Something similar happens to me when I'm running 7.1 virtualization software in certain games
https://sourceforge.net/p/hesuvi/wiki/Help/

Umm I think the solution is to default all your sound settings and then try stereo or like 5.1 and see if it un-confuses it. There are also some windows spacial and volume equalizing things.

Reset all your sound driver/settings to default and mess with it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So uh, I finished playing Prey in 2018 but was never able to get MoonCrash running smoothly in Proton. Few days ago I decided to try again on a lark, and it's miraculously playable?!

I just finished unlocking the fourth character (mister shotgun), and was wondering what are some tips to help that you might wanted to have told yourself in hindsight? Should I be dumping excess crafting gear in the crater as I go to escape with a character? Opening runs with the mechanic to leave behind a trail of fixed things? Meticulously check each area at each hazard level to see what new human corpses spawn? I'm currently gearing up with about 5-7k worth of toys per run and have 80k banked, I kinda have a feeling I'll be needing that bank for control modules instead of splurging on neuromods, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Serephina posted:

So uh, I finished playing Prey in 2018 but was never able to get MoonCrash running smoothly in Proton. Few days ago I decided to try again on a lark, and it's miraculously playable?!

I just finished unlocking the fourth character (mister shotgun), and was wondering what are some tips to help that you might wanted to have told yourself in hindsight? Should I be dumping excess crafting gear in the crater as I go to escape with a character? Opening runs with the mechanic to leave behind a trail of fixed things? Meticulously check each area at each hazard level to see what new human corpses spawn? I'm currently gearing up with about 5-7k worth of toys per run and have 80k banked, I kinda have a feeling I'll be needing that bank for control modules instead of splurging on neuromods, right?

Don't bother buying control modules, at most you'll need 2 per simulation reset and there are set spawns that more than cover your needs. Just splurge on mods.

Some tips

-When you're about to escape with a character and don't want to lose all the stuff they have you can find a handy storage container then shove your entire inventory in it for the next character to come by and pick up. Alternatively just recycle it all and leave the mats those behind instead.

-You've probably already noticed but you'll need to do at least two successful runs of each character, one to unlock their story objective and one to do the story objective. The story objective stuff pre-set stuff so you can plan for how to deal with it, once the story objective is completed for a character you never have to do it again.

-Having trouble with Moon Sharks and Nightmares? Start every character with a few Typhon Spores and toss it straight on top of your problem, watch it melt. Not sure why but the tentacles kill the hell out of the otherwise extremely tanky enemies, and if you're desperate and there are naturally spawning tentacle nests around you can use those too.

-You'll need to unlock the Custodian if you want to try and get the Volunteer's story objective unlocked, as the Mimic Portal escape requires both Hacking and Repair to function.