Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ever hear of Robert Durst?

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ever hear of Robert Durst?

Not until now, no.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not until now, no.

NOT Fred Durst

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

NOT Fred Durst

He hosed his dog or something? I'm reading the Wikipedia article on Robert Durst at the ATM moment - haven't seen anything lavatorial yet.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He hosed his dog or something? I'm reading the Wikipedia article on Robert Durst at the ATM moment - haven't seen anything lavatorial yet.

There's a documentary called The Jinx where Robert Durst incriminates himself heavily upon going to the restroom, forgetting his mic is still on and muttering to himself "I did it, I killed em all." or something to that effect.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just realized that was a double entendre-he was wearing his lavaliere mic in the lavatory

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a documentary called The Jinx where Robert Durst incriminates himself heavily upon going to the restroom, forgetting his mic is still on and muttering to himself "I did it, I killed em all." or something to that effect.

So that Naked Gun joke was based on a real life but somehow funnier thing??

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Pondex posted:

How does your mouth feel/taste like rn?

I've never smoked anything bigger than a Montechristo no. 2 and that stayed with me for a day afterwards.

I'm doing pretty well - being a glutton for nicotine aside, it was definitely more of a novelty than an actually smokeable cigar. It took some engineering to smoke the entire thing.

I'm feeling good, looking forward to figuring out what sticks I'll have today before and/or after a massive edible I got yesterday.

I'm on vacation, so I'm really doing it big in all things.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rolo posted:

So that Naked Gun joke was based on a real life but somehow funnier thing??

Assuming the writers had a time machine, then yes!

I bought hardware to mount a stair railing which I probably will put off buying and painting for a few months but hey at least I've got the hardware!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

davebo posted:

Assuming the writers had a time machine, then yes!

Awwww that would have been great if it were the case. “Let’s copy this super funny trial but just have him go piss loudly” is comedy gold in my head.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

I'm doing pretty well - being a glutton for nicotine aside, it was definitely more of a novelty than an actually smokeable cigar. It took some engineering to smoke the entire thing.

I'm feeling good, looking forward to figuring out what sticks I'll have today before and/or after a massive edible I got yesterday.

I'm on vacation, so I'm really doing it big in all things.

Well, Godspeed in you endeavors then :)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Haul from Portugalia Marketplace: 2 tins of Lucas stuff squids in Mediterranean sauce, Lucas octopus in olive oil, Tricana stuffed squid, and a Lateria dish that holds the tin perfectly. :discourse:

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I also bought tinned seafood - a dozen cans of Ortiz Bonito loin tuna. I’ve been making a really good tuna salad with it, some capers, minced preserved lemon, and a little harissa.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Android Apocalypse posted:

Haul from Portugalia Marketplace: 2 tins of Lucas stuff squids in Mediterranean sauce, Lucas octopus in olive oil, Tricana stuffed squid, and a Lateria dish that holds the tin perfectly. :discourse:

Hahaha, love the name of that dish. Althogh the word does not seem to exist like that, "lata" means a tin so "lateira" = "For tins" more or less.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for the translation! This makes the dish even more awesome!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Bought some Real Turmat freeze dried meals and a new puukko knife, Roselli Mummunhammas (”grandma’s tooth”). Should be adequate for summertime hikes during forest fire warning.

Had this exchange with the cashier:
”Should I put the knife in the bag too?”
”Yes please. I’m not going to use it right away.”

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

j.peeba posted:

Had this exchange with the cashier:
”Should I put the knife in the bag too?”
”Yes please. I’m not going to use it right away.”

LOL

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Got a new camping-stove (Trangia 27) and a coffee-pot.

Already made a crispy panini on the Trangia. Also, percolated coffee is really good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pondex posted:

Also, percolated coffee is really good.

You’re the first person I’ve heard say that.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Huh, must be the novelty then. We mostly drink french press or pour-over in scandinavia

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The key is removing the fish from the percolator.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pondex posted:

Huh, must be the novelty then. We mostly drink french press or pour-over in scandinavia

I’ve never had perc coffee I’ve just always heard it’s maybe a step above cowboy coffee. Whereas pour over and French press are probably the best methods. But ultimately you should just drink what tastes good to you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can’t beat an aeropress for time to taste ratio. Almost no cleanup too. I only use the french press for cold brew now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I’ve had really amazing percolated coffee and utterly rancid percolated coffee, and I’m really not sure what the difference was since both were fresh grinds. I do know the giant Cabelas Percolator I got to roast over the fire for car camping was a huge mistake, maybe I just boiled the poo poo out of it or something.

100% French Press at home though, and Nescafe instant coffee pockets on the trail

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
There's a few old noir detective fictions that I like from the 50s wherein the main character talks about him coaxing his percolator back to life and how good he's gotten at using it but I'm like it's still percolator coffee that's just the best they could do at the time.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If you need to kill half an hour here's a turbo nerd talking about percolators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9avjD9ugXc

mystes
May 31, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

If you need to kill half an hour here's a turbo nerd talking about percolators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9avjD9ugXc
I was expecting this to be James Hoffman.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got some field guides on wildflowers so I can start identifying on my walks.

All of the plates are watercolours

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megabound posted:

Got some field guides on wildflowers so I can start identifying on my walks.

All of the plates are watercolours

I don't think I've ever used a plant/mushroom/insect/bird guide that had photographs instead of drawings or paintings. I wonder if there's an actual reason for that?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

From my understanding it's easier to identify plants from drawings as the artist will accentuate important details and omit ones that aren't. Also it was first published in the early 70s.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Purchased a cheap standing desk frame, liking it so far. Only worried the bigger monitors I ordered might have been a bad idea due to weight.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pondex posted:

I thought we drank mostly brewed in dedicated machines coffee. Got a french press but always considered it a novelty, and those pour overs things for poor students.

I do like percolated or cowboy coffee as well though..

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

I thought we drank mostly brewed in dedicated machines coffee. Got a french press but always considered it a novelty, and those pour overs things for poor students.

I do like percolated or cowboy coffee as well though..

There's probably regional differences. A drip coffe machine always seemed a little bougie to me. :)

PYF scandinavian coffee-politics in this thread

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's pretty wild how every country has a different standard coffee. If you get one in Australia it'll be an espresso based drink with a latte or flat white being the top contender. I drink lattes at home but also have an aeropress when I want something cleaner, crisper and black.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
UK it's instant as standard. I remember as a kid in the 90s the fancy coffee you might get in a cafe was cafetiere aka French press and that's still the case in some restaurants. Then Starbucks happened and now it's espresso based drinks out (even in supermarket cafes) and usually instant at home.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I grew up in Finland where every home has a drip machine (they’re not bougie at all to me, you can get one very cheaply but even the nicest models won’t touch a full espresso set-up pricewise) and now live in the UK where I’ve never seen one in a household setting. I use an Aeropress at home and it works great except when we have guests over and I need to brew a bigger batch. That’s where a drip machine shines since it’s very fire and forget, coffee stays hot and won’t turn bitter as quickly.

For content, I bought a PuckPuck cold brew attachment for the Aeropress a while ago (saw one in this thread I think) and tried it for the first time this week now that the weather is finally nice. Results were encouraging!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I've got a moka pot for stove-top coffee, and it's fine? Or maybe I'm just a filthy animal who doesn't know any better.

I picked up this well-reviewed biography of Neitzsche and so far, it's really dryly funny and well written.

I'm also lolling at sad Hitler in this picture.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Teach posted:

I'm also lolling at sad Hitler in this picture.

I think I need Rainbow Dash photoshopped in before I can really understand what Hitlers going through.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Here you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Teach posted:

Here you go!

:sickos: