Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Onmi posted:

I will point out, that people going "Sonic Team are the collection of the most dogshit developers." Is funny because every proposed solution (Give it to new devs) is... poo poo that has happened. Forces was not made by the same people who made Generations or Lost World or Colours. It was made by relatively new blood. The actual make up of who IS Sonic Team has changed multiple times.

Yeah, the most consistent issue seems to be Sega's lovely management, mostly never allowing Sonic games to be delayed even when they desperately need it. This isn't even new, Sonic 3, a good game even, had to be split into two games! Sonic 06 was rushed to hell even after the dev team was split in half twice, Forces is pretty clearly not completely done/polished though we don't know exactly what happened there, and Boom had some development hell as well, with Sega telling BigRedButton to make a Sonic game and then only later telling them it was a Wii U exclusive, a console the engine did not support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

I will point out, that people going "Sonic Team are the collection of the most dogshit developers." Is funny because every proposed solution (Give it to new devs) is... poo poo that has happened. Forces was not made by the same people who made Generations or Lost World or Colours. It was made by relatively new blood. The actual make up of who IS Sonic Team has changed multiple times.

i remember the "Dimps are making better games, they should be the main Sonic dev now [Unleashed comes out and the HD version by Sonic Team is significantly better than the empty SD one by Dimps]" to know it isn't as simple as just "replace Sonic Team" but whatever Sega and the producers at ST like Iizuka have been doing for the last decade clearly isn't working either

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

when were dumps making better games lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I’ve never played Colours. Is it actually good? I’d have liked Generations to be ported so I could play on switch.

Its very good. A bit on the shorter side but maybe the most polished game of boost-era Sonic? I can see why it's the game getting a port.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

when were dumps making better games lol

when the choices were Advance and Rush vs Shadow and 06

like, i don't like the Dimps sidescrollers near as much now as i did back then but at least they were functional games

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

when the choices were Advance and Rush vs Shadow and 06

Four bad games :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems there’s a possibility that Tails may be playable in Colors Ultimate (they also seem to be adding an Easy Mode of some kind):

https://tailschannel.com/sonic-the-hedgehog/30th/tails-to-be-playable-in-sonic-colours-ultimate-remixed-music-and-more-revealed/

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Should have posted this before the stream.

We did not get a Bingo.

Sonic loving wishes he still had the cultural cache to get into Fortnite.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Caidin posted:

Sonic loving wishes he still had the cultural cache to get into Fortnite.

Lol are you insane Sonic is still massively popular

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Seems there’s a possibility that Tails may be playable in Colors Ultimate (they also seem to be adding an Easy Mode of some kind):

https://tailschannel.com/sonic-the-hedgehog/30th/tails-to-be-playable-in-sonic-colours-ultimate-remixed-music-and-more-revealed/

What's weird is that you can very clearly see Sonic popping out of the cyan wisp in this screenshot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

What's weird is that you can very clearly see Sonic popping out of the cyan wisp in this screenshot.

That’s still clearly a Tails life icon though, maybe they just haven’t finished his in-game model yet.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't see Tails in any of those screenshots, just that icon. He might have just been regulated to like, I dunno, bottomless pit insurance or something.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caidin posted:

I don't see Tails in any of those screenshots, just that icon. He might have just been regulated to like, I dunno, bottomless pit insurance or something.

That’s also a possibility (kind of like Beat in Megaman 7 and 9 through 11) or like I said, they haven’t fully implemented his model yet and are just using Sonic as a placeholder now (notice that in every shot the character is in Wisp form). We’ll see I guess (though if the former, why would he replace the Sonic life icon?)

I’m also curious as to what the Easy Mode they talk about entails (infinite lives maybe?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 28, 2021

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So how long has it been since the last release of Sonic 3? I guess this means they finally settled the soundtrack issue with MJ's estate.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think the Steam release of Sonic 3 & Knuckles in January 2011 was the last time it was officially released (and at least rumours of legal troubles came up later that same year).

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So how long has it been since the last release of Sonic 3? I guess this means they finally settled the soundtrack issue with MJ's estate.

Maybe Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam, which was released in 2011?

And I'm going to guess that this new release will probably change the music out to avoid any rights disputes. So prepare yourselves for that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Baggot posted:

Maybe Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Steam, which was released in 2011?

And I'm going to guess that this new release will probably change the music out to avoid any rights disputes. So prepare yourselves for that.

Didn’t they already change the music for a PC release of the game a long while back?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

Didn’t they already change the music for a PC release of the game a long while back?

Yes, Sonic & Knuckles Collection in 1997 (and my first exposure to the game). It used what is now known as the beta songs to replace the disputed MJ tracks.

So maybe they'll use those, or maybe they'll have Tee Lopes remix them or make some new songs. Either way I think it's unlikely we'll have the original tracks in any official releases going forward, unfortunately!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
release the friends, let amy rose be playable in a main game again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

release the friends, let amy rose be playable in a main game again

Yeah, I think the last time she was playable in a mainline Sonic game was 06 (though she was also in all of the racing games as well as the 2 player modes of Secret Rings and Black Knight), there was also the Sonic Boom series minus Shattered Crystal but those don’t really count in my opinion.

Though they did bring back Tails, Knuckles, Mighty, and Ray in Mania/Plus and Shadow was playable via DLC in Forces so maybe they’re finally easing up a bit on the “Sonic only” philosophy they seem to have adopted for a little while now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Baggot posted:

Yes, Sonic & Knuckles Collection in 1997 (and my first exposure to the game). It used what is now known as the beta songs to replace the disputed MJ tracks.

So maybe they'll use those, or maybe they'll have Tee Lopes remix them or make some new songs. Either way I think it's unlikely we'll have the original tracks in any official releases going forward, unfortunately!

I forget, did the DS Sonic Collection (or any of the other collections that have included Sonic 3 over the years) keep the original music or was it changed for all of those as well?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

I forget, did the DS Sonic Collection (or any of the other collections that have included Sonic 3 over the years) keep the original music or was it changed for all of those as well?
Hardware/mixing issues aside, it's the same compositions as the Genesis/Mega Drive releases. Sonic & Knuckles plays the Sonic 3 boss theme, though.
For the DS collection that is. I don't think any other collection has had the beta music besides that 1997 PC release.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

Hardware/mixing issues aside, it's the same compositions as the Genesis/Mega Drive releases. Sonic & Knuckles plays the Sonic 3 boss theme, though.
For the DS collection that is. I don't think any other collection has had the beta music besides that 1997 PC release.

Huh, wonder why they only changed it for that particular release and nothing else

Perhaps the whole issue already got resolved years ago then and the Origins Collection will have the original music after all.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 28, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i was thinking about which edition of the encyclo-speed-ia to get and i think i am gonna spring for the deluxe, the cover is just so much better than the regular edition's

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Is there actually an issue with Michael Jackson’s estate? I always figured the problem was with Brad Buxer et al.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the story goes that after they did confirm Michael Jackson was involved with Sonic 3, Brad Buxer and the other artists involved came out of the woodwork to confirm their involvement and wanted more royalties or something.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yeah, I just use "MJ" as shorthand for the whole situation with MJ and Brad Buxer and their teams.

Nobody knows full details but the fan speculation is that the rights were in murky gray legal space so that's why Sonic 3&K stopped being included in compilations or released for 10 years now, because doing so with the original music would be a rights violation, and doing so with new music would be an admission of guilt of sorts about having used it in the past. So who knows what this new one will be.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

No evidence, just nerds theorizing in a vacuum. Like how everybody decided that Earthbound could never be released because of the Beatles, until somebody at Nintendo of Japan found out that it was popular in the US and suddenly it was on the virtual console and the snes mini. They had literally only been looking at the original sales figures

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Baggot posted:

Yeah, I just use "MJ" as shorthand for the whole situation with MJ and Brad Buxer and their teams.

Nobody knows full details but the fan speculation is that the rights were in murky gray legal space so that's why Sonic 3&K stopped being included in compilations or released for 10 years now, because doing so with the original music would be a rights violation, and doing so with new music would be an admission of guilt of sorts about having used it in the past. So who knows what this new one will be.

Sonic Classic Collection was released on the DS in 2010 and included both S3K and the original soundtrack for vanilla Sonic 3 (same goes for the GameCube/PS2 Mega Collection before it) and I believe the game was also released on Steam a little while back so that can’t be it (as someone else mentioned, the only rerelease that changed the original Sonic 3’s music was the PC Sonic & Knuckles Collection in 1997).

In other words, who knows what’s going on currently (unless the rights issues were suddenly reignited in recent years that is, I’m not sure)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 28, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
These aren't much beyond hearsay without legal documents to back them up, but this is as much as I've seen on the situation.
Here's the first post in 2012: in the midst of trying to get in touch with the music team for Sonic 3, Cirocco Jones apparently says "I believe that there is a lawsuit going on or about to go on. Sega owes a lot of people money from the Sonic stuff. Speak with Bobby Brooks. He may tell you a LOT more about everything....."
Then last year in 2020, Cirocco Jones apparently replies to a DM after half a year: So to sum it up: Cirocco states that SEGA still owes the team money, but what’s interesting is the numbers he gave (60,000 downloads and retro sales) and if I’m reading it correctly, they didn’t work on the game as a “work for hire” team so they didn’t sign their rights over to SEGA.

This is all in the span between no Sonic 3 rereleases, but if speculation includes these as true statements, it's possible they were approaching some kind of settlement (I wouldn't think it'd be a good thing for Cirocco to comment on ongoing litigation if he's part of it, but I'm not going to completely rule it out just because it'd be unwise for him if so.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also doesn’t S3K in and of itself change the music for the Sonic 3 stages anyway?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Also doesn’t S3K in and of itself change the music for the Sonic 3 stages anyway?

It changes some stuff like Knuckles' theme but not the stage music.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Sonic 3 versions are almost all better except the invincibility music where S&K wins purely by having a loop that's more than eight seconds long. Sonic 3 AIR letting you toggle all of those individually is a great feature

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

It changes some stuff like Knuckles' theme but not the stage music.

Ah, I could have sworn Angel Island sounded different and I’m pretty sure the boss and Super themes were changed to the (much worse) Sonic & Knuckles version at least. Nevermind then

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the sonic and knuckles one is like a 12 second loop and the main reason I don't use super/hyper at all

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wait did I get them backwards? Maybe Sonic 3 is completely superior

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Sonic 3 one is a pretty short loop too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

the sonic and knuckles one is like a 12 second loop and the main reason I don't use super/hyper at all

Yeah, it’s hands down the worst invincibility/Super theme in the franchise in my opinion. Does AIR give you the option to change/turn it off at least?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sonic 3 prototype had an actual S2-style super sonic theme, so you don't have to listen to the invincibility loop forever. I forget if S3C/AIR incorporated that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Change it to a MIDI version of Live & Learn