Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i sure hope deku gets some backup from his nakama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We've seen all the good quirks. The last One-for-All holder is going to turn out to be the glowing baby that started all of this.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

i sure hope deku gets some backup from his nakama

me too

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Aurora posted:

it's literally a named concept in martial arts. if someone had a quirk named bajiquan or taekwando would you request they translate it.

I would. What are they gonna do to me?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I admit I don't really understand this new quirk in the same way that I understand Black Whip means "he can make black whips appear" or Danger Sense means "he can sense danger". We've only seen it used in one chapter so far, though, so it'll probably be clearer soon enough.

This does make me wonder if we're being introduced to Deku's endgame setup. He might have another quirk or two to throw into the mix, maybe some new tricks and combinations he can pull off, but do we think he's going to do any more training or pick up more gear? Shigaraki/OFA have their Final Form(s?) still to come, when Shiggy's body is done baking, but we might be reaching Peak Deku.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
We have one left iirc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dolash posted:

I admit I don't really understand this new quirk in the same way that I understand Black Whip means "he can make black whips appear" or Danger Sense means "he can sense danger". We've only seen it used in one chapter so far, though, so it'll probably be clearer soon enough.

This does make me wonder if we're being introduced to Deku's endgame setup. He might have another quirk or two to throw into the mix, maybe some new tricks and combinations he can pull off, but do we think he's going to do any more training or pick up more gear? Shigaraki/OFA have their Final Form(s?) still to come, when Shiggy's body is done baking, but we might be reaching Peak Deku.

Deku is still considerably weaker than early All Might, though I think that the comic might just be deliberately ignoring how ludicrous early All Might was.

Then again, Deku against Overhaul* got sorta into that ballpark.

* "Overhaul" is a really good hero/villain name for someone with his power IMO, especially given how many of the hero/villain names in this series sound kind of goofy to English speakers).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

christmas boots posted:

We have one left iirc

Yeah, just missing whatever the second user had

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Do we know whether One for All hosts are still able to use their original quirks after passing the power on? I figure they'd at least have them during the transition period, but unsure whether they'd retain their own quirk after that...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

jassa posted:

Do we know whether One for All hosts are still able to use their original quirks after passing the power on? I figure they'd at least have them during the transition period, but unsure whether they'd retain their own quirk after that...

Most (or, maybe all of them bar all might?) of them pass their power on like right before they go have their dramatic final battle or as they're dying (black whip guy is showing under rubble and bleeding out when he's passing his on) so I don't think we know.

If we want to take All Might's ability to very briefly poof up to his muscle form well after the kamino raid as anything other than a gag, they might be able to tap into their quirk for like...a second? But really I assume the answer is "no", since their quirk is theoretically now part of OFA completely rather than just making a copy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What about the one who dropped dead at forty? He was in isolation the whole time then unexpectedly died, when did he find time to pass his power on?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What about the one who dropped dead at forty? He was in isolation the whole time then unexpectedly died, when did he find time to pass his power on?
I didn't think he dropped dead at forty, that was just when he started feeling unnaturally aged, and presumably he went to find a successor. If he just dropped dead, clearly some scavenger rat was an unstated heir in the cycle.

The aging doesn't seem to apply if you're quirkless to begin with, right?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Aging was just first of potential "overlocking" effects we are aware of. By now probably nobody with existing quirk can handle OfA, not even Machia.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Aging was just first of potential "overlocking" effects we are aware of. By now probably nobody with existing quirk can handle OfA, not even Machia.

Should be renamed 'One for Few' imo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
https://w25.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-314/ New chapter of the main series

So yeah it looks like the people were on the right track about her motivations

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
She's like a metal gear boss and I love it

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

So Hawks isn't the first time the Hero Commission has sought out kids with promising quirks and groomed them into government assassins. And I'm absolutely stunned that the Commission threw her in Tartarus instead of straight up putting her down, given everything she knows.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lady Nagant rules

"Chisaki", he says, not "Overhaul" -- and she's reacting sharply to that. Even odds that Deku simply pummeling Overhaul into unconsciousness instead of killing him is going to be what puts her over.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Also lol that she's known Deku for all of like 5 minutes tops and she's already concerned about his joints.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Also lol that she's known Deku for all of like 5 minutes tops and she's already concerned about his joints.

I read that as more "Hmm, he's specifically protecting himself", not "Oh no! His joints!"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I usually hate stories where a character's power is 'i have all the powers' or (i steal powers) (*ahem* Heroes) but I've enjoyed the trope in MHA. Go figure.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

christmas boots posted:

I feel like anyone that knows Deku for 5 minutes is rightfully concerned about his physical health.

Also that panel with the dichotomy of the smiling children from Nagant's perspective and her hand is covered in blood was super good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lookin cool, Deku!

Good chapter. Good characters. Thumbs up emote.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fingers crossed that Lady Nagant is the first villain Deku can 'save' and he's able to convince her to join him. She's so freaking cool.

I know it probably won't happen, but man would I like to see the resolution to this be 'If what you say is true, then we need to take down the safety commision as soon as we're done with All for One.' In 2021, I think we all have less patience with the hand-wringing over the merits of fighting corrupt institutions at this point.

I'm reminded of when Hawks responded to the prospect of him going undercover in the League with 'It's not like I've got a choice, is it?' and they responded 'Nope.'

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 28, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
scans bad etc

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

nagant rules

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm liking Nagant a lot. She's pretty compelling.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I can always appreciate a character that responds to threats by just shooting the other guy immediately

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
If Stain is the super edgy late 80s/early 90s antihero, Nagant is the more nuanced late 90s/early 00s reaction to that character. The Midnighter to Stain's Punisher. Remove a lot of the needless edge and give a point to the more gritty antihero take.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I usually hate stories where a character's power is 'i have all the powers' or (i steal powers) (*ahem* Heroes) but I've enjoyed the trope in MHA. Go figure.

Usually those stories try to create nebulous and artificial tension/risk by explaining that their powers "detract from their lifespan" or "can take a toll on their bodies", which means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but this is the first time that this trope is used effectively. Deku is tremendously powerful but we can see that his powers are killing him and that at the end of all this he'll be permanently and irreversibly crippled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

With the most recent episode, Black Whip has made its debut in the anime and now we can finally start heading towards the good part of this season.

I am very curious to see how they handle MVA as it’s the beginning of a major tonal shift for the manga that never really lessens up from that point on (and is one of the more violent arcs in the series besides)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yea, there are parts, like Shigaraki's flashback, or the way he just massacres the Liberation army goons when he gets in the zone, that are pretty dark and explicit and I'm really curious about how they will adapt them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When Shigaraki annihilates his family in the anime, they explode into confetti.

The dog is cut out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*Always Sunny music plays*

Shigaraki's family goes to a farm upstate

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

When Shigaraki annihilates his family in the anime, they explode into confetti.

The dog is cut out.

They’ll likely just shadow it out like they do with most scenes of that nature in Shounen anime

But yeah, this and the assault on the doctor’s lab with Mirko later are going to be an interesting test of how much this anime is actually allowed to get away with.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 29, 2021

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, I don't really see any issues with Mirko's assault. Brutalities against clearly monstrous opponents and characters losing limbs during a heroic battle are pretty much shonen staples at this point.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We'll probably get Mirko's arm stump covered up by some shadows, so you can tell the arm is gone but don't see any of the gore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also curious how they’re going to manage to do the usual opening recap episode from Season 6 onward seeing as most of the stuff from MVA onward is essentially one continuous arc (or how they’re even going to break the seasons down going forward for that matter).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The first episode of MVA should be the usual recap filler that reintroduces everyone but this time instead of reminding us that Sugar Man exists for the hundreth time, it goes over the Legion of Doom's Quirks and Villain Names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The first episode of MVA should be the usual recap filler that reintroduces everyone but this time instead of reminding us that Sugar Man exists for the hundreth time, it goes over the Legion of Doom's Quirks and Villain Names.

Cyrus Gold

Villain Name: Solomon Grundy

Quirk: Wants Pants!