Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Kilika, Cao, and Gambler Jack confirmed for Kuro on clouded leopard stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Kilika, Cao, and Gambler Jack confirmed for Kuro on clouded leopard stream.

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1398257902494928899/photo/1

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cao's like the most nothing character to me, but he's somehow the most recurring tertiary character in the series? Zero, Azure, CS2, CS3(I think), CS4, Hajimari, Kuro. Thats only 2(3) less games less than Olivert, arguably the biggest driving force in the series. Hopefully something in Azure he does wows me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, Cao feels like one that recurs less because the writers are super enamored with him, and more because he's useful. 'Shady criminal syndicate leader who is somewhat allied with the protagonists' allows for some easy handwaving of certain plotpoints. How does the Crossbell cast get in and out of Crossbell after the imperial takeover? Cao. What's a good way to get information the military wouldn't have to the party? Cao. So on. He's very much a practical character, in a writing sense.

Only the Crossbell games and Hajimari really give him much in the way of actual screentime and characterization outside of his base function in the plot.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not really sure what to expect with their statement of "Kuro no Kiseki will have dialogue option and the story diverge depending on the players choice."

In a franchise that spans multiple arcs, you can't really create story branches since there's only one set of "canon" events and in that case, why bother with giving the player the option?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Erpy posted:

Not really sure what to expect with their statement of "Kuro no Kiseki will have dialogue option and the story diverge depending on the players choice."

In a franchise that spans multiple arcs, you can't really create story branches since there's only one set of "canon" events and in that case, why bother with giving the player the option?

completely bullshit nonsense prediction: Calvard has the Time Sept-Terrion, and it's gonna cause multiple timelines/parallel worlds to exist that can all get merged for the finale so technically all of the choices/branches are canon at once

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Ah. The Bethesda approach. Of course.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

Ah. The Bethesda approach. Of course.

I saw a Creepy Sheep the other day. Horrible creatures.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I used to be an adventurer, until I took a Magnum Dong to the knee

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skyrim belongs to the Nords

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
god, now I'm picturing an Ouroboros reveal that is basically just a rephrased version of CHIM

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Going through TCS2 and I got to Laura and Emma's reunion scene. I really like Laura, did the dance scene with her in CS1, so it was great seeing her and Emma one-shot the Ice Dragon Cryptic (especially since it gave me a hard time in the first game). Then when the Fungus Lizard spawned in, I just had Rean and Laura nuke it with Overdrive, Chaining Burst attacks, and their S-Crafts. And I liked the callback to the end of the first game with Laura reiterating that she'd be Rean's unbreakable sword. All in all, great scene.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong with Tokyo Xanadu because the combat feels awful. I just end up getting hitstunned to death because the dodge is awful and you can't cancel into it either.

I would honestly put this combat way below like, Zwei 1 and Gurumin.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It should be pretty easy. What's killing you?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I dunno, I just did the Chapter 2 extra thing and the boss there just did PBAOEs constantly so I either got two hits in and then backed off or just stood back shooting magic and that sucked bad. Also the enemies in that area that spat a tiny blue poison pool that hit-stunned you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

use Flash Guard

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I did forget that exists but it honestly doesn't feel any better than the lovely dodge.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TX combat is definitely simplistic, and that boss in particular is a dick. Later party members might be more fun to use, hopefully.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I just reached the final chapter of Trails from Zero and I'm getting that vague reluctance of not wanting to keep playing just because I don't want it to end. This game kind of crept up on me. No one character charms me as much as Estelle did in the Sky trilogy, but the SSS are such a great ensemble and I love their interactions.

Game's good.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

I really have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong with Tokyo Xanadu because the combat feels awful. I just end up getting hitstunned to death because the dodge is awful and you can't cancel into it either.

I would honestly put this combat way below like, Zwei 1 and Gurumin.

For me its that the gameplay lasts like 30 minutes at a time, but I'm doing like 4 hours of other stuff between dungeons unless I grind so it never really becomes second nature and I have to relearn it every time a dungeon shows up.

Modern Setting Anime with the detail of Falcom is good though. Should get back to it at some point, only finished chapter 3 I think myself.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 31, 2021

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

unimportantguy posted:

I just reached the final chapter of Trails from Zero and I'm getting that vague reluctance of not wanting to keep playing just because I don't want it to end. This game kind of crept up on me. No one character charms me as much as Estelle did in the Sky trilogy, but the SSS are such a great ensemble and I love their interactions.

Game's good.

just wait, azure's even better.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

unimportantguy posted:

Game's good.

Fortunately, you don't have to wait for Azure and more SSS interactions.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

unimportantguy posted:

Game's good.

You're really just going to love everyone more once you get to the end. including Estelle

Be ready to jump straight into Azure because things get even more tense

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno, I just did the Chapter 2 extra thing and the boss there just did PBAOEs constantly so I either got two hits in and then backed off or just stood back shooting magic and that sucked bad. Also the enemies in that area that spat a tiny blue poison pool that hit-stunned you.

It's been a long while since I played it, but I remember making heavy use of quickly cancelling into the extra attack that reduces incoming damage.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

infraboy posted:

You're really just going to love everyone more once you get to the end. including Estelle

Be ready to jump straight into Azure because things get even more tense

Holy cow you were right. Downloading Azure now. My slow-rear end internet will surely be done with it... some time today.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trails from Zero has suddenly decided to not display any mouse cursor. Has anyone ever had this problem, and been able to fix it?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Do you have a pad plugged in and/or enabled? That might cause it not to display the mouse cursor.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unplugging my controller fixed it. Thank you!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In CS4 do I need to do certain bonding events to see other bonding events? Reason I ask is I just did my first bonding event with Altina that made me think I need to have this one saved to see other ones that follow, since it seemed to have a “to be continued” feel.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think you only worry about bonding events if you want to see their final one, depending on how many points you get with each character.

You can’t get everyone’s character profiles in one playthrough anyways, you may as well do whatever you like during the first run and you can max bond everyone on a second playthrough.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

theblackw0lf posted:

In CS4 do I need to do certain bonding events to see other bonding events? Reason I ask is I just did my first bonding event with Altina that made me think I need to have this one saved to see other ones that follow, since it seemed to have a “to be continued” feel.

While it looks that way, I don't think you need to do them to see the later versions, just a couple of lines will be different.

infraboy posted:

You can’t get everyone’s character profiles in one playthrough anyways

:wrong: I did just that on my first playthrough. If you do it though you won't get enough hearts from other bonding events to get all the stupid romantic trophies. But considering three of them are with Rean's students and the other with his sister, welp.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Ah they must've changed that for IV, still can't get the platinum in one playthrough if you care about that since you need to see all the romances.

I was trying to platinum Hajimari but there is a timed Q&A game with a time limit like the one in Sky 3rd, and it's all in Japanese, oof back to practice.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah, you can do one of date all the girls or get all the notes. Obviously the notes are more important, but I was sad that Alfin is one of the ones I had to say goodbye too, triply so since her events should have been part of the main plot.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Anybody else had a problem with Azure crashing on launch? I get the opening Falcom logo, title screen, and then when I bring up the menu, it crashes.

Edit: It crashes right here.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 4, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It took me a little while to figure out but just delete everything and start from scratch. Use the Azure launcher from the patch to install the BG_setup file and it should all just magically work, i've done it on two separate computers.

Personally never had the game crash at any point. So they must've done plenty of testing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kuro no Kiseki first trailer. Contains characters beyond the new protagonists, so spoiler caution.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

"No returning characters" my rear end, I think this is already in first place in the series with the I think 6 we've seen. Zero had like 4, and I can't remember if CS1 had anyone but Olivert, was Mueller even seen in CS1?

Edit: Bleublanc is an Inevitability and is disqualified from all 5 arcs.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 4, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is that Fie? It hasn't even been more than one game since her series ended.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

"No returning characters" my rear end, I think this is already in first place in the series with the I think 6 we've seen. Zero had like 4, and I can't remember if CS1 had anyone but Olivert, was Mueller even seen in CS1?

Edit: Bleublanc is an Inevitability and is disqualified from all 5 arcs.

Mueller was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

"No returning characters" my rear end, I think this is already in first place in the series with the I think 6 we've seen. Zero had like 4, and I can't remember if CS1 had anyone but Olivert, was Mueller even seen in CS1?.
They said no returning characters in the main party, chill