Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

~$80USD for a basic set of dice and ~$20 for them to be shipped...

And they've got about $2.8m in backing so far. Good for them and some of them certainly look nice but :whatthechrist:

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its essentially roll-able artwork and is priced accordingly

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Have those previous campaigns delivered yet?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

CitizenKeen posted:

Have those previous campaigns delivered yet?

I backed their last dice campaign and we got ours more or less when we were supposed to. I was missing a die but they sent it out right away when I emailed them about it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crow brain demands shinies

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Looks like if you're backing now you won't actually get anything for a whole year, assuming no delays whatsoever.

Might as well wait for the inevitable followup kickstarter.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Infinitum posted:

Crow brain demands shinies

You've got a messed-up notion of the evolutionary tree.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

You've got a messed-up notion of the evolutionary tree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_collecting

Crow brain's working as intended :v:

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Has anyone here heard anything about the "The Witcher: Old World" kickstarter. I'm wary of licenced game with minis front and centre but my wife would love the theme so we'd probably get a lot of play if the game is even half decent.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Atillo posted:

Has anyone here heard anything about the "The Witcher: Old World" kickstarter. I'm wary of licenced game with minis front and centre but my wife would love the theme so we'd probably get a lot of play if the game is even half decent.
I know that I’m pissed off you brought it to my attention and now I can’t help myself

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Atillo posted:

You are right to be wary, but I don't want to be too discouraging. Overall, for this one, it's probably tough to say. I looked into it because I thought it was the failing-upward monkey-cheese-meisters at Steamforged Games (responsible for the Dark Souls debacle), but they are not actually doing this one; they are doing Monster Hunter instead. This is by Go on Board games.

Their last Kickstarter only very recently started shipping to backers and was like 30x less successful. Can they scale up so much or will they have trouble with that? They have delivered 2 previous kickstarters so far, so that probably reduces your risk a bit, and any issues with that last project could be chalked up to Covid. Also, CDPR is a huge company and will probably step in if they gently caress up.

Bear in mind: the standard I've heard people repeat around here is: "No rules? No pledge." I don't see a rules document here, so what are sure you're buying besides pretty baubles? On the other hand, that is allowed to be enough to you if you like. If that is within your disposable income and you think it is an entertainment product you will get use out of, then I won't tell you to dismiss that inner fomo junkie. Talk to your wife and see what she thinks.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Has anyone here played Vampire the Masquerade: Rivals? It looked interesting, but I didn't pledge to it at the time, and now that it's in stores, I was thinking of picking it up.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Haystack posted:

Could I get some recommendations for some board games to play with my 5 year old? It'll generally be just me and her playing, with maybe another kid or adult now and then. She likes candy land and has somewhat outgrown the random Haba games that I have. Thanks.

Tok Tok Woodman!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Atillo posted:

Kickstarter Anonymous Mantra:

- If it's full of miniatures the rules were not the focus of the devs
- If it's a licensed property it's likely to suck
- If it's any good it will be released to retail or re-kickstarted later

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 28, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My friends on Before You play made a play through of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GqZcOie4Tw

Which means I could borrow their copy which I may do at some point (kind of overwhelmed with new games atm) and then I'll let you folks know :).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Man, liking this "let's transpose COIN onto other things you wouldn't expect" direction GMT is going.

Here's a Robin Hood themed one that I just heard about : https://www.gmtgames.com/p-934-a-gest-of-robin-hood.aspx

And it's a two-player!

quote:

An ideal entry point to the COIN system and the ICS series: a two player, relatively low complexity game with a family friendly theme that plays in one hour and introduces all of the key concepts found in the COIN series.

A new hidden movement mechanic: The Sheriff will chase Robin Hood across Nottinghamshire to prevent him from organizing peasant revolts, but Robin can sneak away and hide amongst his Merry Men.

A second new hidden movement mechanic: Carriages serve as a simple twist on Lines of Communication, transferring wealth back to Nottingham while providing a target for robbery by the Merry Men—but some of them might be a trap, containing concealed Henchmen!

Random encounters with rich travelers: Robin Hood draws from the Travelers Deck when conducting a Rob action, then decides whether to play it safe or demand a larger ‘donation’ with potentially negative consequences.

A streamlined sequence of play: Further developing the two-player sequence of play first found in Colonial Twilight, this new sequence of play is easy to understand while still presenting difficult tactical decisions.

Player Factions:
Robin Hood and the Merry Men: Robbing from the rich to give to the poor. An archetypal insurgency faction focused on undermining the Sheriff’s authority by inciting peasant revolts, robbing carriages and travelers, and building a network of camps across Nottinghamshire.

The Sheriff of Nottingham and his Henchmen: In charge of maintaining order and collecting taxes for Prince John. A proto-counterinsurgent faction focusing on suppressing peasant revolts and securing roads to ensure the safe travel of wealth confiscated from the parishes.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Atillo posted:

The usual rule for these things is you back for the miniatures, paint them and use them in whatever indie skirmish wargame or RPG you use that has actual cool gameplay. Assume the game is unplayable garbage unless they do a gloomhaven and release a playable demo.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

FulsomFrank posted:

Man, liking this "let's transpose COIN onto other things you wouldn't expect" direction GMT is going.

Here's a Robin Hood themed one that I just heard about : https://www.gmtgames.com/p-934-a-gest-of-robin-hood.aspx

And it's a two-player!

:stare: That sounds awesome!

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Has anyone here played Vampire the Masquerade: Rivals? It looked interesting, but I didn't pledge to it at the time, and now that it's in stores, I was thinking of picking it up.

Quoting this because I was also curious and don't want it to get lost

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've always found history in board games to be unappealing. I want more lasers and wizards. Robin Hood is an excellent step in the right direction.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

What's the turnaround on these GMT P500 projects like? Is it similar to Kickstarter, where it's basically at least a year out but likely even longer?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

untzthatshit posted:

What's the turnaround on these GMT P500 projects like? Is it similar to Kickstarter, where it's basically at least a year out but likely even longer?

I signed up for Border Reivers in June of last year, it hit the P500 goal at the end of July last year, and is still waiting for production. I have no idea if that's a typical timeline though.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Funzo posted:

I signed up for Border Reivers in June of last year, it hit the P500 goal at the end of July last year, and is still waiting for production. I have no idea if that's a typical timeline though.

Yeah, allow for a minimum of 1 year, realistically 2 and sometimes even longer. It depends on how quickly they get the required numbers and how far along in development it is. Its important to remember that the overwhelming majority of GMT designers have day jobs, so they never move all that quickly.

It feels like recently they've been better at frontloading the dev work and only putting it onto P500 at all once it's in a decent state, but I could be imagining that.

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I picked it up, and it's pretty good. It's a bit of a mix between Doomtown Reloaded and the Game of Thrones LCG. I only played two-player, but I can see how multiplayer would get really interesting.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Funzo posted:

untzthatshit posted:

When a game is stil in process of design it can take a while and the P500 is essentially a long pre-order with indeterminate duration. So it's a kickstarter.

If you do a P500 of something that already exists but is currently between printings, it is more likely to come to in a more definite time frame after it hits its goal.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Impermanent posted:

If you do a P500 of something that already exists but is currently between printings, it is more likely to come to in a more definite time frame after it hits its goal.

GMT’s most popular titles (like Twilight Struggle) are automatically reprinted regardless of the number of preorders the P500 has amassed.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
For anyone waiting on Sleeping Gods

Apparently there was a printing issue and the timeframe is TBA, though it's possible it could be as late as fall.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

nordichammer posted:

Quoting this because I was also curious and don't want it to get lost

About Vampire: Rivals, I've played a half-dozen games. I work for Renegade and am the one handling the Organized Play with it, so definitely pick it up and come play the events at GenCon or Pax Unplugged!

In all seriousness though, I'm happy to answer questions!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I need board game table recommendations please. It doesn't have to be felt or anything but actually if it is felt then it would probably have to be able to convert beach to hard top too.

It's usually 4 of us and some games are big like Gloomhaven. A rectangular one would probably be best.

Oh no, are lumber prices messing with tables too?!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I went down to a fabric store and bought some velvet, and then just hemmed the edges on a sewing machine. Cost me like.. $30aud total? The only issue with it is that it slips and slides around the table so it needs to be weighted down, or to have a table cloth placed down first.
Good super cheap solution that works great for my needs atm.

A lot of goons ITT will probably say "go source a local woodworker" if you're looking at buying a table.

If you're going to drop a few grand on a table there's a bunch around depending on your global location that you can find without too much headache.

KingKapalone posted:

I work for a company that does fencing. Global steel, aluminium and wood pricing are all going up.

From next month I'm seeing increases of 10-15% on Steel + Aluminium
10-25% on Wood.

This is essentially the flow on cost of the pandemic.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 29, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KingKapalone posted:

I need board game table recommendations please. It doesn't have to be felt or anything but actually if it is felt then it would probably have to be able to convert beach to hard top too.

It's usually 4 of us and some games are big like Gloomhaven. A rectangular one would probably be best.

If you want a proper deluxe table, hit up the BGG forums and take a look at plans. It will be cheaper and quicker to buy the materials and hire a local ... oh, gently caress off Infinitum. :v:

If you don't care about that, hie thee to Costco and buy a couple of foldable 6x3s.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

pbpancho posted:

In all seriousness though, I'm happy to answer questions!

So, this may seem slightly out of left field, but did you ever play V:TES back in the day? If so, how do you feel the randomly selected rivals works as compared to the Predator/Prey system from V:TES?

For anyone not familiar, in V:TES, you could only get victory points by outsting (eliminating) your prey, who was the player to your left, next in turn order. The player to your right was obviously doing the same, and was your predator. So, you could be the last player standing and still lose if that player otherwise ousted the other 3 players in a 5 player game (you gain your own VP for surviving). If someone else somehow ousted your prey in error, you got the points and 6 pool (the equivalent of influence in Rivals?), which is 1/5th of your starting total. This created a terrific dynamic where you get situations like hammering your prey so hard that it causes your grand-prey to win because the pressure on them dropped off. These pressure waves resonated into "cross-table buddies" (your grand-prey and grand-predator) having reason to help you do things. It is capital-t The Best part of the game.

Many multiplayer games that do not have "free blocks" like Magic encourage going to the next person in turn order for this reason. For instance, You normally have to tap/lock (turn) to intercept in V:TES. This means if you hit someone and weaken them, someone else could take advantage, so you go left to avoid affording the other players the opportunity, since they will untap/unlock.

Decoupling turn order and your random target works differently. In a 4 player game, they could be in any position, and they may be targetting someone in a different relative position. This sounds chaotic and seems like some may have an inherent positional advantage. For instance, imagine players seated in alphabetical order but targetting , A -> C, C -> B, B -> D, D -> A. If A is targeting C for elimination, but B happens to be playing an agenda (?) card that gives them additional agenda points for defeating vampires or something, then B could potentially have advantage that A does not simply because of deck choices, seating order and random rival selection.

I'm not saying it's a problem; just making the comparison as an outside observer. Frankly, I don't fully remember how secrecy and intel work, so I might be overestimating the effects of this anyway.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Played another couple of games of StationFall and still loving it. The description of a 'party game for heavy gamers' feels right on point for me. It's pretty complex and has a very unpleasant rules explanation but once everyone has the hang of things it flows really smoothly and leads to a lot of the 'good' kind of agonising decisions and fun moments. I realise now that the first game we played was relatively sedate all things considered, and that we hadn't really grasped that for many characters to achieve your objectives it's best to start creating havoc as early as possible - so we went from a first game where everyone mostly went about their own business inadvertently getting in each other's way to two games where the station was set on fire on turn one and someone triggered self-destruct before we passed the half-way point, with escape pods getting sabotaged and blown up with critical characters still onboard. If you play on TTS at all I really recommend giving this one a shot.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

We're really happy with the jasper from boardgametables.com

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Took Gaia Project out for a spin on TTS to see if it was better for my colorblind friend than Terra Mystica, and not only was this the case, everyone enjoyed the game significantly more than TM which is already well-regarded. The moral of this story is that Ive already got a physical copy heading my way

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

If you want a proper deluxe table, hit up the BGG forums and take a look at plans. It will be cheaper and quicker to buy the materials and hire a local ... oh, gently caress off Infinitum. :v:

If you don't care about that, hie thee to Costco and buy a couple of foldable 6x3s.

Orrrrrrrrr, Do not build anything with wood right now. Lumber prices are insane.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

djfooboo posted:

Orrrrrrrrr, Do not build anything with wood right now. Lumber prices are insane.

That being said, I work in lumber commodities and I don't see lumber prices dropping anytime in the near future. If you have your heart set on a wood table, you might as well get it, because I think it's only going to get more expensive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

They're no less insane for the people who make tables, and those costs will be passed on to the consumer.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I think it's only going to get more expensive.

Tell me more. I was hoping wood to be back to pre-Covid in ~2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There are a ton of old conference tables going for cheap where I live on Craigslist so that's what I'm doing