Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Beginning to think the Chicago sorting vortex is more of a maelstrom.

Yar matey, there be no Austrian indie pop this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I had not observed that, thanks much, and sorry for any inconvenience. I hadn't experimented with that. At any rate, I just resized these and will also do that.

The woofers and tweeters look fine. There’s something going on with that midrange. I can’t tell if it’s a foam surround that’s bad or just damage.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

The woofers and tweeters look fine. There’s something going on with that midrange. I can’t tell if it’s a foam surround that’s bad or just damage.

Yeah, both midranges are a little messed up. One appears to be damaged and the other appears to have that foam looks like it is rotting. Lots of little holes. I have a couple decommissioned Klipsch midranges I can replace them with, but that may be a considerable downgrade. I just wired it up to an amp and ran my mp3 player into it and it all sounded good offhand. I mean maybe really good. What a bass sound.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Be careful with what devices you put these next to if those devices are sensitive to magnets. Old speakers were sometimes not shielded for that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Yeah, both midranges are a little messed up. One appears to be damaged and the other appears to have that foam looks like it is rotting. Lots of little holes. I have a couple decommissioned Klipsch midranges I can replace them with, but that may be a considerable downgrade. I just wired it up to an amp and ran my mp3 player into it and it all sounded good offhand. I mean maybe really good. What a bass sound.

Swap out the mid ranges. It’s easy to do unless they’re soldered in. 70s speakers with huge woofers are great for all sorts of stuff.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

petit choux posted:

I'd show mine but I'm sick and tired of this "bitch you live like this" poo poo.

I'm not terrified of that, I'm terrified of dealing with a possible "how the gently caress do you cope with that" response in regards to my set up.

petit choux posted:

If I can ever get it together. I need to make a drying rack for records so I can start washing, ripping and selling them. Probably going to make it out of cheap plywood.

I, erm, use an old dish rack to let mine air dry for a bit after cleaning.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm not terrified of that, I'm terrified of dealing with a possible "how the gently caress do you cope with that" response in regards to my set up.
I, erm, use an old dish rack to let mine air dry for a bit after cleaning.

Yeah, that's what I see a lot. I want to make something that only contacts them on the edge and center, consistently and it looks like all I need is my old jig saw.

BigFactory posted:

Swap out the mid ranges. It’s easy to do unless they’re soldered in. 70s speakers with huge woofers are great for all sorts of stuff.

Let me show you the midranges in question then. Purchased them at a Restore for like 5$ for the pair. Not sure they're what I need but I'll find out soon enough.

They are this:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/cs-650-w-in-wall-speaker

Like new condition.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This just restocked, if y'all are interested.

https://twitter.com/NeoncityRecords/status/1397622677595058179

(By the way, if I'm the only vaporwave/future funk/mallsoft/etc. nerd here: by all means, tell me to shut up with updates like these. :) I don't want to stink up the thread if no one is interested.)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

This just restocked, if y'all are interested.

https://twitter.com/NeoncityRecords/status/1397622677595058179

(By the way, if I'm the only vaporwave/future funk/mallsoft/etc. nerd here: by all means, tell me to shut up with updates like these. :) I don't want to stink up the thread if no one is interested.)

Nah, you rock.

ED: I'm prob never going to buy any of this stuff, but you be you man.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I mostly just figured I'd share 'em due to them usually having cool sleeves and/or colorways. :)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Chinook posted:

Well now I gotta see

Not yet, I'm in the midst of rearranging/organazizing but I'll tell you this: My speakers are JBL Control Pros, and an Onkyo sub. This is a small room and I think the JBLs easily fill this room with sound. And the Onkyo is way overkill for this tiny room, also known as my hole. A hole filled with crates full of electronics gear, music instruments, erotic underwear and some records.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Also found a pair of M-Audio AV-40s at the thrift for 15$. There's a little scratching when you adjust the volume but offhand, otherwise they sound really nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Also found a pair of M-Audio AV-40s at the thrift for 15$. There's a little scratching when you adjust the volume but offhand, otherwise they sound really nice.

Get yourself some contact cleaner and spray it under the knobs of whatever device you adjust the volume with. It's probably dust or dirt in the potentiometers.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Petit, that one mid range looks like it has a hole in the cone, you can get kits to replace the cone and foam surround. I've ordered from SimplySpeakers and it has always been high quality. I’d reach out to them and see if they’d put a kit together for you. I’d imagine it’ll be around $60 for the one with a damaged cone, and $20-25 for just the foam. I personally probably wouldn’t bother, unless you’re craving vibrating your house apart with bass.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Get yourself some contact cleaner and spray it under the knobs of whatever device you adjust the volume with. It's probably dust or dirt in the potentiometers.

Yeah, they are powered speakers and it's on board. I once had some contact cleaner, don't know where the hell it is now.

I think this image didn't get enough love yesterday:

And also, coming at you from the heart of the 1970s:

Can you believe I actually paid 3$ for that junk. My mother had the Jonathan Livingston Seagull coffee table book when I was a wee lad.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 27, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Bandit posted:

Petit, that one mid range looks like it has a hole in the cone, you can get kits to replace the cone and foam surround. I've ordered from SimplySpeakers and it has always been high quality. I’d reach out to them and see if they’d put a kit together for you. I’d imagine it’ll be around $60 for the one with a damaged cone, and $20-25 for just the foam. I personally probably wouldn’t bother, unless you’re craving vibrating your house apart with bass.

Thanks for this. Have you any strong feelings about replacing the midranges outright with those Klipsch speakers I linked?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

petit choux posted:

Thanks for this. Have you any strong feelings about replacing the midranges outright with those Klipsch speakers I linked?

I don't, I'm not an expert on this. I know that cabinets are generally designed to use specific drivers to get the best response. And I imagine the Klipsch speakers you posted are 4ohm and the OGs are 6.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I've posted in the turntable stereo hifi thread but just realized there is a Vinyl thread and figured I'd post a setup rundown.

You can skip the wall of text and just go to the pics and video at the bottom for a TL:DR.

I was always into music. And back in 1998-1999. I had a friend that dj'd school dances for extra cash.

He didn't want to do it anymore and offered to pass the few gigs he had lined up on to me. As a HS freshman I figured it be worth the cost of speakers and an amp to make $100 for a few hours of work every few months.

I had some ancient JVC reciever that was sitting in the attic and I found a pair of Yamaha 12" monitors and a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-12s in the newspaper classifieds (90s lol)

The JVC promptly failed and I needed a replacement. I saw Marantz 1060 in a pawn shop and I fell in love with the look. But I needed some more wattage so I bought an 1152dc and then an 1180dc both off of ebay. At the time they were less than $100 and not collectors items as vinyl was dead. When they would have issues there was a guy down the street who installed car stereos and fixed electronics cheap out of his garage.

I built a friendship with the Stereo repair guy since I was always having him look over stuff for me.

He had a beautiful mid 70s Marantz Stack he had bought new in the 70s that I kept jokingly pestering him to sell to me.

Then around 2003 or so he sold it to me but I had to buy 30 other pieces of hifi junk he had on his shelves for at the time a steep price of ~3k.

Then life happened and most of my stuff sat in storage til a 3 years back. I went through some life changes, had a son and dusted off some of my old gear.

I still have my original 1152dc and 1180dc that were my gateway drugs, but they only get used occasionally or snuck into backdrops of photoshoots.

This is my white whale system that I massively overpaid for in 2003.

Marantz 510m Power Amp, 3200 Pre, 150 Tube Tuner and 6300 Turntable. Ohm i speakers some one gave me back around 2003 as well because they said they were broken. (The 40w amp they had was not enough to power them)

Once dusted off, I had a BT adapter and a few records but I found my 1 year old son loved to push the record start button every night and I decided to make it a thing to play him something different every night.

So I spent the last 2 years combing antique/thrift stores and garage sales for .50 or dollar records and have made a few decent scores.

This was a recent 60 record haul at 50 cents each.
https://youtube.com/shorts/3X67OkjNNFM?feature=share

I also added some $5 Led strip lights from Walmart to the back of my Walmart cube organizer, added a thrifted Ikea Fonolit, replaced the 6300 dustcover, and replaced the Shure V15VMR stylus with a Jico SAS one after the original suspension broke.

More light, extra turntable is a 6270q I found on FB marketplace for $100 a few months back.

Here is a video of the setup playing obviously the mic on my gopro doesn't do it justice.
https://youtu.be/bQazMkBrtZY

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That stuff's all junk. If you mail it all to me I'd be happy to throw it out for you.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Rolo posted:

Silversun Pickups is having a limited black/white press of their Carnavas album.

https://www.newburycomics.com/products/silversun_pickups-carnavas_exclusive_2lp?variant=39851993235636

Limited whatever aside, I’m just glad to have the album re-release. I listened to it so much when it came out.

Well, I'd be a fool if I didn't also find two other records to bump me up to free shipping. Got Swoon and First Aid Kit's The Lion's Roar. Thanks for posting!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Bandit posted:

And I imagine the Klipsch speakers you posted are 4ohm and the OGs are 6.

Great point.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samsquamsch posted:

Well, I'd be a fool if I didn't also find two other records to bump me up to free shipping. Got Swoon and First Aid Kit's The Lion's Roar. Thanks for posting!

You’re welcome, happy to contribute to a thread that helped me like 15 times in a week starting out.

I’ve never listened to Lion’s Roar but I like Stay Gold. Guess I need to check it out?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

my turn in the barrel posted:

I've posted in the turntable stereo hifi thread but just realized there is a Vinyl thread and figured I'd post a setup rundown.

You can skip the wall of text and just go to the pics and video at the bottom for a TL:DR.

I was always into music. And back in 1998-1999. I had a friend that dj'd school dances for extra cash.

He didn't want to do it anymore and offered to pass the few gigs he had lined up on to me. As a HS freshman I figured it be worth the cost of speakers and an amp to make $100 for a few hours of work every few months.

I had some ancient JVC reciever that was sitting in the attic and I found a pair of Yamaha 12" monitors and a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-12s in the newspaper classifieds (90s lol)

The JVC promptly failed and I needed a replacement. I saw Marantz 1060 in a pawn shop and I fell in love with the look. But I needed some more wattage so I bought an 1152dc and then an 1180dc both off of ebay. At the time they were less than $100 and not collectors items as vinyl was dead. When they would have issues there was a guy down the street who installed car stereos and fixed electronics cheap out of his garage.

I built a friendship with the Stereo repair guy since I was always having him look over stuff for me.

He had a beautiful mid 70s Marantz Stack he had bought new in the 70s that I kept jokingly pestering him to sell to me.

Then around 2003 or so he sold it to me but I had to buy 30 other pieces of hifi junk he had on his shelves for at the time a steep price of ~3k.

Then life happened and most of my stuff sat in storage til a 3 years back. I went through some life changes, had a son and dusted off some of my old gear.

I still have my original 1152dc and 1180dc that were my gateway drugs, but they only get used occasionally or snuck into backdrops of photoshoots.

This is my white whale system that I massively overpaid for in 2003.

Marantz 510m Power Amp, 3200 Pre, 150 Tube Tuner and 6300 Turntable. Ohm i speakers some one gave me back around 2003 as well because they said they were broken. (The 40w amp they had was not enough to power them)

Once dusted off, I had a BT adapter and a few records but I found my 1 year old son loved to push the record start button every night and I decided to make it a thing to play him something different every night.

So I spent the last 2 years combing antique/thrift stores and garage sales for .50 or dollar records and have made a few decent scores.

This was a recent 60 record haul at 50 cents each.
https://youtube.com/shorts/3X67OkjNNFM?feature=share

I also added some $5 Led strip lights from Walmart to the back of my Walmart cube organizer, added a thrifted Ikea Fonolit, replaced the 6300 dustcover, and replaced the Shure V15VMR stylus with a Jico SAS one after the original suspension broke.

More light, extra turntable is a 6270q I found on FB marketplace for $100 a few months back.

Here is a video of the setup playing obviously the mic on my gopro doesn't do it justice.
https://youtu.be/bQazMkBrtZY

That photoshoot though. Penthouse? Femjoy?

The Bandit posted:

I don't, I'm not an expert on this. I know that cabinets are generally designed to use specific drivers to get the best response. And I imagine the Klipsch speakers you posted are 4ohm and the OGs are 6.

You can use a meter and get a ballpark estimate, right? ED: but yeah, the sticker on the side says CS6650W-0444539, and I bet all those 4's are trying to tell me something.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 27, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, the wife is saying those speakers are not coming in this house so anybody in the DelMarVa or DC area, if you're interested in purchasing them, PM me. I can also deliver at a reasonable rate if it's not more than like 100 mi.

I mean I know I gotta fight for my right to party but they are really loving big.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

Rolo posted:

You’re welcome, happy to contribute to a thread that helped me like 15 times in a week starting out.

I’ve never listened to Lion’s Roar but I like Stay Gold. Guess I need to check it out?

The first two tracks are what made me a fan of them, their vocals really shine. Also, I'm a total sucker for cool colors in a pressing, and all of these look great.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samsquamsch posted:

The first two tracks are what made me a fan of them, their vocals really shine. Also, I'm a total sucker for cool colors in a pressing, and all of these look great.

Gonna listen to them today then.

In a bit of weakness, I copied you got the limited of Swoon on preorder.

I also preordered the non-fancy black edition of Muse’s Origin or Symmetry remix because I freaking love this album and can’t wait to hear it slightly different:

quote:

Dubbed Origin of Symmetry: XX Anniversary RemiXX, the set is not the traditional remix set inviting a bunch of mixers to radically rework the tracks. Rather, the band worked closely with producer Rich Costey, revisiting the material and finding a more open, dynamic and less crushed sound overall. As a result, fans will hear a fuller instrumentation as certain tracks that previous got buried or muted in the mix now can be more prominently featured.

They dropped the updated version of Citizen Erased online and I liked it enough to preorder the whole thing.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 27, 2021

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
That remix is super tempting. Those first... three? Muse albums were varying degrees of good to great before the band fell off a cliff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Schremp Howard posted:

That remix is super tempting. Those first... three? Muse albums were varying degrees of good to great before the band fell off a cliff.

I agree with 3. I’m going to probably end up with Absolution, Showbiz and this one then call it. The next few albums had a handful of songs I like but that doesn’t qualify for vinyl money. The newest stuff I’ve been listening to and deleting immediately.

Good thing is that the album drops digitally next month so I can preview and cancel the preorder if needed, doubt I will though, the digital teaser track is good.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm done adding everything to my discogs collection.

https://www.discogs.com/user/shivan000/collection

My stuff plus the stuff I got from my mom. Neat to see a counterfeit Beatles album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If anyone plans on buying something from Father Daughter Records you can get five bucks off a purchase of fifteen dollars or more with the code PVPAL. It works on their own site and bandcamp.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

If anyone plans on buying something from Father Daughter Records you can get five bucks off a purchase of fifteen dollars or more with the code PVPAL. It works on their own site and bandcamp.

You should totally buy the new Remember Sports record. But I'm just saying that because it's really good and they released it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

You should totally buy the new Remember Sports record. But I'm just saying that because it's really good and they released it.

I just had three records who up in the mail this week so I'm trying to take a break from records for a while.

Until next week when my brother wants to go to my favorite record store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I probably have enough Sparks albums now.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'm hoping to head back to the local record store next weekend or so...send "good vibes" my way for me to find any Supertramp, Jethro Tull, or Primus.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I finally pulled the trigger on a record cabinet on display at one of the record stores around me. Locally built and the guy was nice enough to drop it off. Absolutely love the new setup. Now to figure out how I'd like to organize the records.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s drat cool.

Also the idea of not having my dust cover on 24/7 scares me. My building is new, I have no pets but it’s duuuusty.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Rolo posted:

That’s drat cool.

Also the idea of not having my dust cover on 24/7 scares me. My building is new, I have no pets but it’s duuuusty.

could always invest in a moderately sized air filter/purifier machine. stamp down a lot of the dust in a room that way.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CaptainBeefart posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a record cabinet on display at one of the record stores around me. Locally built and the guy was nice enough to drop it off. Absolutely love the new setup. Now to figure out how I'd like to organize the records.
Hell yeah that Lifetones album. :hfive:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Rolo posted:

That’s drat cool.

I started finally using the dust covers yesterday after setting up. So much dust and cat hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah that Lifetones album. :hfive:

:hfive:

It's drat good.