Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Phanatic posted:

That's titanium nitride, or titanium oxynitride. Titanium oxide is just a white pigment.

Powdered titanium oxide is, but the oxide layers on rainbow coatings aren't thick enough for the white to be seen so it just refracts the light passing through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I love the two bowls in the corner, each holding a copy of what seems to be a magazine called "Kunst" ("Art").

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is no microwave or fridge.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's clearly room for a fridge in front of the bad LSD trip paintings - maybe they took it out because the random paint swooshes on it were too ugly (even in this context) for the photographer to allow it?

Oh, and I love how they've destroyed every single cupboard and drawer front by scratching 90's Jazz patterns into them. It's even more obvious in the bathroom.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So what happened with this house in Christchurch? The wall wasn't secured properly to the frame?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The only thing that sucks is the cabinets should be super modern, not some lovely shaker style. Ruins the whole trip.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

If only this had charging stations it would be perfect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Those lion heads need to be cigar lighters.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Darchangel posted:

How the gently caress have I never seen these before!?
I'm pretty good at it, but holy heck that makes it super easy. Not that I need to terminate cables all that often any more, but wow.
I see what you did there.

There are going to be some very surprised fish at some point:

aHAHAH this is literally my house! The sellers replaced the tank and seat with a normal one before listing the house, but I've seen that picture before in some news articles about how weird the house used to be. The entire toilet has since been replaced, too. Also the floor to that bathroom is a single slab of stone, these people were totally nuts.

Just noticed the dolphin faucet, drat, they got rid of that before selling too.

Good news is the master bath is still in its original condition:

mcgreenvegtables fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 28, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

mcgreenvegtables posted:

aHAHAH this is literally my house! The sellers replaced the tank and seat with a normal one before listing the house, but I've seen that picture before in some news articles about how weird the house used to be. The entire toilet has since been replaced, too. Also the floor to that bathroom is a single slab of stone, these people were totally nuts.

Lol, that's awesome! Congratulations on owning a real freaky deal of a house, I'm jealous.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

mcgreenvegtables posted:

:stare:

for real? That's awesome.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

mcgreenvegtables posted:

oh my good lord

i love it

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Vim Fuego posted:

:stare:

for real? That's awesome.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mcgreenvegtables posted:

YO!! Sweet crib dawg!
What do the :females: think of your bathroom?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Couldn't nail that centerline any better if you tried.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mcgreenvegtables posted:

This is the most serendipitous moment the thread has ever or will ever see. Incredible.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kastein posted:

Couldn't nail that centerline any better if you tried.

A fraternity brother of mine did that exact same thing trying to pirate cable between rooms 20 years ago, only he hit a half inch copper pipe. I don't care who you are, you need to be a goddamn expert to hit a half inch metal pipe and not deflect off of it.

Also... NSFW

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Baby got back

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

kid sinister posted:

A fraternity brother of mine did that exact same thing trying to pirate cable between rooms 20 years ago, only he hit a half inch copper pipe. I don't care who you are, you need to be a goddamn expert to hit a half inch metal pipe and not deflect off of it.

Also... NSFW

Now I ain't no artist. But I do know that having a grid does help plot out pretty much anything, and that includes art of naked ladies futzing their hair with their back to you. How do you end up with Cotton Hill legs??

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

value-brand cereal posted:

Now I ain't no artist. But I do know that having a grid does help plot out pretty much anything, and that includes art of naked ladies futzing their hair with their back to you. How do you end up with Cotton Hill legs??

obviously if you’re standing in the stall the stumpiness is merely foreshortening: a trompe-l'œil effect to simulate truly being beside the f e m a l e as she showers, and furthermore :goonsay:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Amazing!

Lotta bathing options in that master bath, there. I see a clawfoot tub, the big tub, and I think a shower? Hey, if there's room for it, why not. I don't hate that master bath at all.
Wood stove is interesting. Cold climate? If so, it's useful.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

YO!! Sweet crib dawg!
What do the :females: think of your bathroom?
Despite being infinitely weird it's surprisingly relaxing and comfortable in there, once you dial in the 17 (most dimmable) light switches. My wife and I both just think it's kind of funny and impractical.

Darchangel posted:

Amazing!

Lotta bathing options in that master bath, there. I see a clawfoot tub, the big tub, and I think a shower? Hey, if there's room for it, why not. I don't hate that master bath at all.
Wood stove is interesting. Cold climate? If so, it's useful.

clawfoot tub, jacuzzi tub, and a double shower. Behind the glass blocks are a dark green toilet and matching bidet. The big tub unfortunately became impractical after we replaced the leaking 100-gallon water heater. That's actually a gas-burning stove, not wood. It and a matching one in the bedroom are the only sources of heat for the master suite. Enough BTUs but kind of stupid. Plz don't ask about the remainder of my seven-zone three-fuel heat system.

At the risk of doxxing myself I can post more about the house if there is interest. It has been a 3-year process of slowly de-weirding it and catching up on serious maintenance deficits. The POs spent 20 years putting tons of money into crazy stuff and zero into anything actually necessary or thoughtful, which is a lot on a 160-year-old house.

Sneak peek:

mcgreenvegtables fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 28, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/planningshit/status/1398331046475796482?s=21

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wow that is amazing

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

that is A Crime

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

At the risk of doxxing myself I can post more about the house if there is interest.

Holy. poo poo. :justpost:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

As someone with a grass allergy, this is almost my dream backyard. In reality though, I'd go for sand and desert plants and a big shed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tell me you kept that, please.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mcgreenvegtables posted:

At the risk of doxxing myself I can post more about the house if there is interest.

Don’t worry.

We already know where your house is, and we approve of what you’ve done to the place.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GotLag posted:

that is A Crime

for sure, too many people doing poo poo like this has caused a real flooding problem in the UK (where this appears to be)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

for sure, too many people doing poo poo like this has caused a real flooding problem in the UK (where this appears to be)

I've occasionally wondered how effective using something like permeable concrete would be at alleviating this kind of issue.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Grow clover or something

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've occasionally wondered how effective using something like permeable concrete would be at alleviating this kind of issue.

I'm not gonna watch that video but it's not. I mean, it is, but it's not a total solution. With the right mix and base you can achieve a fraction of regular permeability by the numbers so that might get you there for your small area, but you can't pave everything with it and expect this to work for runoff for so many reasons. This works on a very small scale with the right things around it. It's not a complete solution for paving everything with no consequences. A heavy rain storm will rip the poo poo out of everything around areas paved that way if the surrounding areas aren't correctly prepared and separated.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 29, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm not surprised that it's not a panacea, so thanks for that. Can you give some detail on why it'd break down in the case you provided? I would naively expect that if water goes through the concrete into whatever's underneath it, it would have negligible impact on the area adjacent to the concrete, so I must be missing something. I figured the issues would be more around, like, creating sinkholes out of what you thought was a solid foundation, or something along those lines.

And yeah, sorry for the ad video, it was just the first thing that came up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It doesn’t pass water fast enough. Like, water can pass through a sponge, but if you hold a kitchen sponge under a faucet, most of the water will run off the sides.

There are also major issues with clogging. If dirt gets onto the concrete, it can fill pores and greatly decrease permeability.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 29, 2021

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Grady goes into it a bit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERPbNWI_uLw

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Aha, thank you, both of you! The video you linked also mentions that permeable pavement isn't nearly as strong as traditional mixes, and because of how it works it doesn't provide any real advantage on a slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Platystemon posted:

It doesn’t pass water fast enough. Like, water can pass through a sponge, but if you hold a kitchen sponge under a faucet, most of the water will run off the sides.

There are also major issues with clogging. If dirt gets onto the concrete, it can fill pores and greatly decrease permeability.

The best permeable concrete mixes you can basically turn a hose on, and make a wet spot just a few in diameter while it disappears. You can't run loaded freight over it, but they can typically handle light trucks, if it's professionally done.

The trick is all the infrastructure that goes below the permeable concrete. You need storage volume underneath, to allow for percolation (if your soils can even perc), and connecting underdrain if needed. All this stuff is what makes it "work" for Stormwater Management, but is mostly beyond the scope of backyard hobbyist.

Also like mentioned, it clogs up so you need to vacuum it periodically with streetsweeper-scale equipment, which again, homeowner won't do.