Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

yeah that article only mentions in passing that part of the union busting message was a threat from management that unionizing "could result in a reduction of benefits" which I read as "if you vote yes we're going to take away your healthcare and lay people off"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

every company says poo poo like that

it would require the union agreeing to that in a contract

it would never happen

in an absolute worst case, Amazon could demand to the end through any job actions, etc. that they would no longer provide anything beyond the minimum health insurance required by law, and the u ion would never agree to it and there would never be a contract, but status quo rules would prevent them from actually changing anything

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

even with a union in place, Amazon still has to hire and retain workers, and that healthcare is a big way they do it

the public relations fallout would be massive as well

they would never get of it. it’s posturing and pure power politics

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
workers lost the Amazon warehouse but won this one: https://www.newscentermaine.com/mob...f3-059e7640257a

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kingcobweb posted:

workers lost the Amazon warehouse but won this one: https://www.newscentermaine.com/mob...f3-059e7640257a

good!
the nurses near where i live are on a long loving strike, more than two months now. i fundraised heavily for their strike fund when it started but then work got crazy and i frankly forgot and assumed the strike ended. they're back negotiating again but it doesn't sound like the hospital administrators are close to pulling their heads out of their asses

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/thetrillbillies/status/1395465291249901570

I didn't realize there was a union thread. The trillbillies put out an episode which is a casual chat of the power of unions between a bunch of union friends one of the hosts has.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

theres a pretty severe backlash brewing in danish unions and local govts against the "americanized" gig economy atm

we'll see if theres any follow-thru from the govt, but im a stupid optimist

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
What is a good way for introverts to help with organizing? My workplace has a union, and I would like to help out beyond paying my dues, but I'm terrible at proactively approaching people and "selling" anything. I know this isn't where my strengths lie, and I feel that any attempts I make could backfire. Are there other ways I could contribute?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Konstantin posted:

What is a good way for introverts to help with organizing? My workplace has a union, and I would like to help out beyond paying my dues, but I'm terrible at proactively approaching people and "selling" anything. I know this isn't where my strengths lie, and I feel that any attempts I make could backfire. Are there other ways I could contribute?

If your workplace is already unionized, you don't need to be an organizer to be helpful. Ask your union leadership about being a steward. When I was in CWA, it was really helpful to have someone sit in meetings between a worker who might be in trouble and management, almost like their lawyer.

In the meantime, it's very helpful to actually read the contract, chances are neither your coworkers nor your bosses has actually done that. It's pretty common to catch stuff either that your bosses are doing against the contract, or just a privilege you didn't know you had.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
There's a lot of ways to help besides organizing or getting people on board with the union. There's a lot of documentation/paperwork that goes along with the day to day poo poo an established union does.

Even just tagging along to meetings between stewards and management to take notes can be helpful. And it's always nice to have extra members in a meeting to balance out all the dupes the boss brings along.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kingcobweb posted:

In the meantime, it's very helpful to actually read the contract, chances are neither your coworkers nor your bosses has actually done that. It's pretty common to catch stuff either that your bosses are doing against the contract, or just a privilege you didn't know you had.

As a union official, holy poo poo this.

I wish my loving bargaining unit would pick up their contracts and loving read them. So much time and effort wasted getting worked up and arguing over things that are absolutely covered by the contract. Just knowing the contract and saving your rep/steward the time of explaining something for the nth time is helping out more than you’ll ever know.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
as someone who tried to unionize a campaign this is a huge HOLY poo poo for me:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mayoralesunion/status/1398037672019496966

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

as someone who tried to unionize a campaign this is a huge HOLY poo poo for me:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mayoralesunion/status/1398037672019496966

its super gross, hope the staffers all the best with the strike they started. especially frustrated as a voter bc morales was the only person at least talking in vaguely leftist terms, not there's basically no one to even care about which sucks, but hey, same as it ever was.

at least counterbalancing that is that my workplace union vote finally has a date set after many months of delays, both pandemic and management related. probably the first ballot in my life i look forward to actually filling in lol

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Teamsters local, doing forklift work in tough environment. Management has been dicking around the negotiating team for like more than half a year. Total garbage and a pittance of raise waging plus bad faith bargaining, including removing or vastly increasing medical insurance costs.

The company lawyer told our union rep that they didn't think we'd get the votes for a strike.

We had our vote for strike authorization for unfair labor practices yesterday.

Number of people who voted no?

Get hosed.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

make it a party out there, fuckin a

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
striking… folks it’s good, because it’s the only real weapon we have against capital

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Justin Credible posted:

Teamsters local, doing forklift work in tough environment. Management has been dicking around the negotiating team for like more than half a year. Total garbage and a pittance of raise waging plus bad faith bargaining, including removing or vastly increasing medical insurance costs.

The company lawyer told our union rep that they didn't think we'd get the votes for a strike.

Get hosed.

:hmmyes:

Which local?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

Get hosed.

Hell yeah

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Dunking on the company lawyer is a top 10 good time feeling hell ya

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Justin Credible posted:

Get hosed.

hell yeah. remember that striking is an ACTIVE thing; one of my biggest regrets is not organizing better picket lines, reaching out to orgs, other unions, and media etc, my union didn’t do poo poo and when I talked to a city councilwoman later she had no idea we went on strike and was like “oh I totally would have been at the picket line if I had known”

don’t assume your union reps will do anything for you!

also, ask if you can sit in on bargaining, bring as many people into that room as you can

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Thanks all.

Yeah they're pretty on point since the writing has been on the wall for months now. We got leverage with that vote to negotiate a decent contract, it is highly unlikely the company could survive even a week long strike due to our customers and accounts who's parent companies would pull the plug on their facilities here if production dropped/stopped.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I finally landed a job, and it's unionized as well. I hope I'll be able to get more involved once I start working.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm halfway through the Organizing for Power online training, hosted by Jane McAlevey and other organizers. If you get an opportunity to do it, it's six 2-hour sessions with group work and practice in between. Best of all, it's free. https://www.rosalux.de/en/o4p

It's been super helpful to help reframe your thinking from top-down to bottom-up and getting the workers on board to take action. We had a great example of bottom-up action and results earlier in the COVID crisis and really want to bring that force back to bargaining that's coming up in the next 18 months.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lmao. My company's last best offer is 4% raise. Where the median where I live is 5-7/hr above their offer, which is also close to the averages for my sort of work in my state.

They already have scabs they flew in from out of state, enough to replace us all, and are currently paying them a fixed rate for 3 months no matter what happens. Assumedly putting them up in a hotel too. And are winding up to eat huge fines from their customers for lost production.

All of these measures are far more expensive than just giving us a 4-5k/yr raise. Oh and the CEO is a Christian too of course. But we are just scum to be hated.

This isn't intimidating anyone here and is just making us more amped to strike. I love it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Justin Credible posted:

Lmao. My company's last best offer is 4% raise. Where the median where I live is 5-7/hr above their offer, which is also close to the averages for my sort of work in my state.

They already have scabs they flew in from out of state, enough to replace us all, and are currently paying them a fixed rate for 3 months no matter what happens. Assumedly putting them up in a hotel too. And are winding up to eat huge fines from their customers for lost production.

All of these measures are far more expensive than just giving us a 4-5k/yr raise. Oh and the CEO is a Christian too of course. But we are just scum to be hated.

This isn't intimidating anyone here and is just making us more amped to strike. I love it.
If you end up with a strike fund or whatever, post it

gently caress them boys

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
check out how good this poo poo is. a day is in view when every “progressive” campaign and nonprofit is organized by default, it can’t come soon enough to make campaign work sustainable

https://twitter.com/MiddleSeatUnion/status/1403473855566450690

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
gonna put this in the OP as well, DSA and some unions collaborated on this how-to of workplace organizing. read it! https://workerorganizing.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/ewoc-organizing-guide.pdf

this spcifically is a big ol lol from me

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Jun 13, 2021

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That's the least challenging bingo card ever. I'd get like quadruple bingo from one meeting

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
:siren: new kim kelly about striking coal miners in Alabama :siren:

https://www.thenation.com/article/economy/alabama-warrior-met-coal/

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
put that bingo card to use y'all

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/13/business/media/new-yorker-union.html

quote:

And unlike organizers in the 1930s, the NewsGuild has social media. It never rains on a Twitter picket line. Writers who are skeptical of the union’s tactics — some told me they object to its confrontational social media style — have bitten their tongues or deleted critical tweets. In one recent Zoom call, writers even complained to Mr. Remnick of their fears of being bullied on Twitter if they diverge from union talking points.

And underlying much of the 2021 labor tensions are political tensions. The younger generation of employees is to the left of its elders on issues of substance. The New Yorker’s union, for instance, tweeted and then deleted its “solidarity with Palestinians from the river to the sea,” a phrase that some interpret as threatening violence.

Virtually all of The New Yorker writers I spoke to said they supported the union’s core economic goals, and believed the junior staff members deserve pay increases. The union includes 120 people and there are about the same number of staff and contributing writers. Many, including Ms. Nussbaum, have spoken out in favor of the union’s current posture. But some also shun its blunt and adversarial language.

Some of the writers are also worried about the impact of a strike. On one recent Zoom call with union leaders, Mr. Wright, a former Teamster and longtime W.G.A. member, warned that a strike could last months and do immense damage.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the New Yorker union has a strike issue coming out soon, and it’s gonna be real good

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the New Yorker union has a strike issue coming out soon, and it’s gonna be real good

yeah i'm vvvv excited

it's so telling that the people they choose as writers- the people whose political opinions readers actually get- are those on the anti-union side. probably just coincidence!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
threatening strikes works, folks

https://twitter.com/newyorkerunion/status/1405281717804355584

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1407756781812535299

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

“Setback for Unions”: Farmworkers Fought to Allow Unions Access During Breaks. Supreme Court Says No.

quote:

The Supreme Court has ruled 6 to 3 that a California labor law violated the constitutional rights of property owners by giving union organizers access to workers on privately owned farms during their work breaks. The union-busting decision strikes down a crucial part of a landmark 1975 labor law that was the United States’ first to recognize agricultural workers’ rights to collective bargaining and grew out of efforts by the United Farm Workers to demand better pay and working conditions for California’s agricultural workers. “This ruling is a setback for unions, for workers’ rights,” says Camila Chávez, executive director of the Dolores Huerta Foundation.
Supreme court bad.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There's a simple way around that: get a job at the farm and start talking union rhetoric.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Couple weeks ago we did a day and change ULP strike. They didn't get the message. We came back because they said they would negotiate with a federal mediator.

Which they refused to meet with along with the union today. We worked for 1 hour, now we are on an extended strike. What a bunch of clowns.

Teamster solidarity baby.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Justin Credible posted:

Couple weeks ago we did a day and change ULP strike. They didn't get the message. We came back because they said they would negotiate with a federal mediator.

Which they refused to meet with along with the union today. We worked for 1 hour, now we are on an extended strike. What a bunch of clowns.

hell loving yea gogogogogo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

gently caress federal mediators though

reneg and say ‘welp, now we do it our way’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Justin Credible posted:

is there some social media about this so we can boost/contribute to strike funds?