Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

J-Spot posted:

Cauterizing a wound in classic gross Far Cry healing tradition.

oh right, i missed that she was wounded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

JorRaptor on Youtube has some gameplay and info videos up:

General Info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgIYB39B7Ic
Combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfl6-2Vm4vA
Exploration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x4ze2Z9l7Y
Cut scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLTBH6PAWrY&t=125s

Also here's an interview with one of the dev leads: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/far-cry-6/

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From a preview: it's supposed to be the biggest FC map yet

and sounds like in the city, you won't be able to liberate areas the traditional FC way of just taking over a base. like you'll have to assassinate some higher up first, or do some sabotage.

it's an UBI "fantasy" after all, but the whimsical elements sound a bit out of place

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ubisoft really loves those superlatives and shared game mechanics. It's more off-putting to me, I didn't buy Valhalla because after Origins and Odyssey already being way too long, I didn't want to spend another 100 hours in Assassin's Creed.

The "assassinate yourself through the ranks" system sounds like it's lifted from the past three AC games as well.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

One thing that will be a nice improvement is the ability to holster your weapon while out in the world to avoid conflict. No more constant enemy spam when you're just trying to explore.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Far cry 4 worth playing? I didn’t like 5 due to the near constant enemy spam, though I do have New Dawn.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Far cry 4 worth playing? I didn’t like 5 due to the near constant enemy spam, though I do have New Dawn.

its the best one imo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Unlucky7 posted:

FC4 is the best one of the series hands down

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rinkles posted:

From a preview: it's supposed to be the biggest FC map yet

and sounds like in the city, you won't be able to liberate areas the traditional FC way of just taking over a base. like you'll have to assassinate some higher up first, or do some sabotage.

it's an UBI "fantasy" after all, but the whimsical elements sound a bit out of place

i assume they are trying to make it not just the same old "blow up or sneak into small camp and then win" poo poo.

Unlucky7 posted:

4 is the best one probably.

looks fun. i like that you can use the puppy as a distraction.

J-Spot posted:

One thing that will be a nice improvement is the ability to holster your weapon while out in the world to avoid conflict. No more constant enemy spam when you're just trying to explore.

yeah. it seems like they looked at Homefront the revolution and then put far cry money behind it. i am excited for it. shooting modern day Rafael Trujillo/Fulgencio Batista seems fun.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 28, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I continue to think these games would be more interesting with a core gameplay mechanic other than gun combat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ubisoft reflexively saying the don't make any political statements with their games is such hilarious cowardice.

Discendo Vox posted:

I continue to think these games would be more interesting with a core gameplay mechanic other than gun combat.

Try Primal?
Or play like me, bows, explosive and sneak kills only. I don't think guns are interesting at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Ubisoft reflexively saying the don't make any political statements with their games is such hilarious cowardice.
Try Primal?
Or play like me, bows, explosive and sneak kills only. I don't think guns are interesting at all.

its not even that.

quote:

quote:
“But we also fell in love with the culture and people we met. When we came out of that, it wasn’t that we felt we had to do Cuba, we realised it’s a complicated island and our game doesn’t want to make a political statement about what’s happening in Cuba specifically. Beyond that, we’re drawing inspiration from guerilla movements around the world and throughout history. For us, it felt like doing the island of Yara would help us tell that story while being very open with our politics and inspiration.”

they just arnt gonna talk about castro and poo poo. because its not cuba. thats it. like yeah i think they make alot of stupid and bad statements but i feel like alot of critics like to streatch what they are actually saying for a clicky title. i mean the loving villian is Batista knock off.

like ubisoft does enough hosed up bad stuff irl with hosed up work place poo poo and hosed up higher ups then "uhh see they won't talk about trump" poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 28, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Inzombiac posted:

Try Primal?

I mean if the actual design and resources currently dedicated to the gun combat went into it too, though. Not even stealth, necessarily, like, given the routine castrophony of the writing, a walking simulator with leisure activities and exploration tasks would be more appealing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I mean if the actual design and resources currently dedicated to the gun combat went into it too, though. Not even stealth, necessarily, like, given the routine castrophony of the writing, a walking simulator with leisure activities and exploration tasks would be more appealing.

yeah. i am cool with some just wadling around jungles and cities and trying to sneak/bullshit my way past stuff.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Everything looks kind of cool but I'm pretty burned out on Far Cry specifically, and to some extent on Ubisoft open world games more generally. I don't think there's any way I'm buying at full price even if the buzz is better than 5, so realistically I'll probably sign up for Ubisoft+ for a month and play however long I stay interested, whether that ultimately means beating it or not. I don't think DLC in this series has ever really felt essential anyway.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i am cool with some just wadling around jungles and cities and trying to sneak/bullshit my way past stuff.

Agreed. I'm hoping for more of that in Dying Light 2, since it takes place in a more dense city this time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm interested.

Sure it looks to be the standard Far Cry formula but when done well that can make for a whole lot of fun.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the loving villian is Batista knock off.

The previews mention a previous revolution in 1967 to presumably take out the original Batista analogue, but then I guess that guy just got replaced with Batista 2: Esposito?

idk how that makes sense but i guess it's good he isn't a cheap Castro imitation at least, though it does beg the question why the country ended up cut off from the rest of the world if it didn't go communist

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Agreed. I'm hoping for more of that in Dying Light 2, since it takes place in a more dense city this time.

yeah both look pretty fun. i am happy they seem to be taking alot of ideas and stuff from Homefront the revolution because that game while not amazing is an underated gem.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

The previews mention a previous revolution in 1967 to presumably take out the original Batista analogue, but then I guess that guy just got replaced with Batista 2: Esposito?

idk how that makes sense but i guess it's good he isn't a cheap Castro imitation at least, though it does beg the question why the country ended up cut off from the rest of the world if it didn't go communist

no. idk what happened to the castro equivalent or if there even was one. but apparently like 10 or so years before the game, yara becomes democratic again, and esposito is the son of not batista and saw daddy get splattered against a wall. he got out and then ran for office in the democracy as a MYGA type poo poo.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no. idk what happened to the castro equivalent or if there even was one. but apparently like 10 or so years before the game, yara becomes democratic again, and esposito is the son of not batista and saw daddy get splattered against a wall. he got out and then ran for office in the democracy as a MYGA type poo poo.

ah ok that makes more sense

is there anywhere to read all this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

ah ok that makes more sense

is there anywhere to read all this?

just from interviews and early preview things from when it was announced. not all in one place and i forget specific places.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Kind of sad that we'll never get another Far Cry game with the no-bullshit, no-wackiness atmosphere of 2, but this still might bring me back to the series - played 3 to death several times, 4 a couple but it felt like 3 redux, and 5 on didn't appeal for some reason. If I can get a PS5 before October, all the better. (I've also wanted to visit Cuba for years.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Far Cry 2 was very much the opposite of "no-bullshit", what a horrible game. Constantly attacking enemies, respawning checkpints, absolutely no stealth system, the malaria attacks. Just terrible all-around.

And let's not even think of the weird sped-up voice acting (to save on disk space)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I loved far cry 2 and it’s my favorite of the series but I also played it on PC where I could save anywhere which made a giant difference I’m sure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Payndz posted:

Kind of sad that we'll never get another Far Cry game with the no-bullshit, no-wackiness atmosphere of 2, but this still might bring me back to the series - played 3 to death several times, 4 a couple but it felt like 3 redux, and 5 on didn't appeal for some reason. If I can get a PS5 before October, all the better. (I've also wanted to visit Cuba for years.)

same. i got the chance in college but i never took it.

Fame Douglas posted:

Far Cry 2 was very much the opposite of "no-bullshit", what a horrible game. Constantly attacking enemies, respawning checkpints, absolutely no stealth system, the malaria attacks. Just terrible all-around.

And let's not even think of the weird sped-up voice acting (to save on disk space)

yeah. i love the concept and ideas of 2 but its loving weirdly and badly aged mechanically

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sinteres posted:

Everything looks kind of cool but I'm pretty burned out on Far Cry specifically, and to some extent on Ubisoft open world games more generally. I don't think there's any way I'm buying at full price even if the buzz is better than 5, so realistically I'll probably sign up for Ubisoft+ for a month and play however long I stay interested, whether that ultimately means beating it or not. I don't think DLC in this series has ever really felt essential anyway.

Far Cry is the perfect 'sign up to Ubisoft+ for a month' game. And if the DLC is good? Well, just play it the next time a Ubisoft game comes out that interests you enough to sign up again.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Someday Ubisoft will figure out how to make an open world game that is not a mountain checklist of samey chores and will have the courage to just let their world be with stuff to stumble upon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t get the criticism. The latest AC had a ton of encounters in the open world that were really different (and sometimes funny, like Smack My Bishop). Not necessarily on par with RDR, but I still find myself in the same routine: Head across the map to do a main mission, get distracted by three side missions and a couple of world events, and three hours later no closer to the main mission I set out to do. When that happens, I know I’m enjoying the game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don’t get the criticism. The latest AC had a ton of encounters in the open world that were really different (and sometimes funny, like Smack My Bishop). Not necessarily on par with RDR, but I still find myself in the same routine: Head across the map to do a main mission, get distracted by three side missions and a couple of world events, and three hours later no closer to the main mission I set out to do. When that happens, I know I’m enjoying the game.

yeah. i am cool with newer ubisoft open world poo poo when its just "do side missions and main missions but also spend hours wandering around and seeing what happens around you". the biggest issue with 5 was they kept the player on a choke chain and if you hosed around enough a story event would rip you out of the fun.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i am cool with newer ubisoft open world poo poo when its just "do side missions and main missions but also spend hours wandering around and seeing what happens around you". the biggest issue with 5 was they kept the player on a choke chain and if you hosed around enough a story event would rip you out of the fun.

Yeah, the forced kidnappings did totally suck

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, the forced kidnappings did totally suck

5 had some fun moments but lol it was loving awful pacing wise. 6 looks like it at least learned some lessons.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fame Douglas posted:

No-bullshit in the sense that the story took itself seriously (yeah, it had some... issues with its game design decisions). It had a great doomy atmosphere that the later games lost with their inevitable wacky NPCs and drug-trip missions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Payndz posted:

No-bullshit in the sense that the story took itself seriously (yeah, it had some... issues with its game design decisions). It had a great doomy atmosphere that the later games lost with their inevitable wacky NPCs and drug-trip missions.

this. it was actually dark and hosed up without getting in your face and making weird faces and popping drugs. like it does a good job at showing the country is basicaly getting hosed by every angle and all the factions are just looters with differen acronyms and all their soldiers are foreign mercs who are just sitting around and lootting the place and whenever you do a mission, you make the country worse.

6 won't be that obviously but id like to see it more like 4 and 2 then 3 and 5.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

4 definitely hit that balance pretty well where the deeper you get into the story the more you realise everyone sucks and there are no easy right / wrong choices.

2 did a similar thing where you slowly realise you and all your merc friends who dropped into this third world country to take advantage of a civil war are actually maybe the bad guys and not exactly here to save the day.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

6 won't be that obviously but id like to see it more like 4 and 2 then 3 and 5.

yea i agree. combining the dark vibe and suspense of 2 with some of the mechanics, vehicles, and weapons of 4 would make the perfect far cry game.

3 and 5 were both way too goofy for me, plus the way the main story would interrupt open world gameplay in 5 was super irritating. no open world game should do that poo poo. 5 is the only one in the series i havent finished or even played halfway.

while 2 had a lot of irritating things that they got rid of, its still my favorite in the series and one of my favorite gaming memories overall because something about the feel of the world and the level of chaos in it really clicked for me. but then in the later games with all the wildlife and the chaos ramped up everywhere, yeah it was funny for a bit, but the overall effect was that the games ceased to surprise me in any way at all. when youve got bears and wolves fighting mercenaries in pickup trucks every ten feet its no longer interesting or funny emergent gameplay that happens sporadically its just the background

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 29, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I haven’t gotten to see the gameplay footage yet- I’m guessing weapon degradation isn’t back? I actually liked that in 2, when you’d run out of ammo and pick up a dropped gun and have it jam at the worst possible time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress I hope not

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd rather they brought back loving trigens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AC:V was an improvement. Watch Dogs Legion absolutely was not. GR:Breakpoint & Division 2 both were mega not.

And even AC:V which went out of its way to talk about how they'd done all this cool stuff to make the world more stumble-able still made maps full of icons and the early part of the game was *still* "Hey Eivor, here is GAMEPLAY SYSTEM. We need you to stop the flow of play and GAMEPLAY SYSTEM. You'll have many opportunities to GAMEPLAY SYSTEM, so keep a look out."

I get that designing games with compelling organic exploration is hard and most players will absolutely not notice things, so the designers have my sympathies. And maybe I have rose colored glasses about Far Cry 1 but my memory of it is being dropped in an island and needing to figure things out on my own instead of being dropped off in an amusement park with defined activities.