Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1398320151913660418

This dude is a baby brain of the highest order

lololol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1398320151913660418

This dude is a baby brain of the highest order

calling someone who is "proudly on the spectrum" "baby brain" is deeply problematic

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

if this isn't a d&d blindquote, this paper

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1873506120304165#!

seems to say that this particular mutation has shown up in coronaviruses before but I think mostly in coronavirus sub-families more distant from COVID19? i dunno i study history

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

awww sorry, surely next time though. just don't forget to vote!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

so basically if its a lab thing, absent some pentagon papers esque leak, it will never be confirmed by any party because it makes everyone involved look very stupid

pretty much.

also the whole "it came from pangolins which the Chinese ate" is more racist than the idea it escaped a Chinese biology research lab lmao

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

man, the republican party sure seem to die a lot for a group that has the entire country at its mercy

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

RON TIP: Put a brick in the back of the toilet before Bernie arrives. He loves to save water, even when he's not paying the tab.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maybe I'm not hanging in the right circles but I haven't heard anyone talk about 1/6 for months outside of this forum for all the cultural impact it has supposedly had.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Eggplant Squire posted:

Maybe I'm not hanging in the right circles but I haven't heard anyone talk about 1/6 for months outside of this forum for all the cultural impact it has supposedly had.

yeah no one gives a poo poo, nor should they.

well they should, but only because it was the funniest day in american history and that kind of quality content should be appreciated.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Eggplant Squire posted:

i have one coworker who sends me at least one article a week about the worst thing that has ever happened to this country

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

lol these unbelievable losers

https://twitter.com/MelissaGill999/status/1398342391770357767?s=20

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1398348626821255176

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao they finally broke Gandy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theyre both wrong. hr1 is meaningless and won't change anything if implemented, and the idea that biden is going to pack the court to do what, overturn casey? is less likely than him making student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy

the filibuster doesn't matter because 90+ senators agree with each other on most things

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

it's so khive that the thing that breaks them of the dems is the most meaningless poo poo possible

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The best part is that there is no insidious scheming plot to commit the insurrection by a shadowy cabal. Any commission is just going to end up as a big wet fartlow just like mueller. It was trump and the right wing echo chamber that worked themselves into an insurrection, but dems have shown they are dedicated to not holding trump accountable for anything ever.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

what kind of idiot believes a storm is coming soon to sweep away the satanists. morons!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

what kind of idiot believes a storm is coming soon to sweep away the satanists. morons!

Lol, the only wrong part of that first question is Satan.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

RON TIP: Most enemies have a hidden weak spot that can be exploited for massive attack damage.

RON TIP: Merchants are few and far between in this world, so when you find one, make sure to stock up on supplies!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao they finally broke Gandy

shes all over the place

https://twitter.com/AngryBlackLady/status/1398343985341468675?s=20

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Lol
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1398339865876520962?s=19

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bootleg Trunks posted:

And this is my message to all of the leftists ITT who are talking about revolution. When you step out into the streets you will find yourself extremely alone. The right controls all of the police departments, the military and all kinds of state/local legislatures. It is also very easy for them to take control of the presidency and senate with a minority of votes. Right wingers also love death squads and have been itching the last few years to run down peaceful protesters in the streets. There won't be any revolution. Just a handful of leftists getting their brains splattered on the pavement. There's also the supreme court which is completely hosed. The military won't do poo poo if republicans rig the system to steal wins away from dems. As long as they did it through the right channels that's all the excuse they need to ignore it.

There is nothing you can do except hope we don't lose the house in 2022 and win more senate seats. Talking about whether there have been successful revolutions or not is a complete waste of time. Republicans control this country.

The most noteworthy part is the "we" used in the context of Democrats winning Senate/House seats. Just an implicit understanding that the Democrats are good and represent our interests.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

they'll all go crawling back, of course

what are they gonna do, let trump win

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

love when someone just assumes im a demorat

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Organ Fiend posted:

I'll keep this short because I don't want to write a book. Background: I have a PhD in genetics, have been working in biomedical research for nearly 10 years, and my work involves genomic sequence analysis.

The short version is that the Furin site is not definitive proof that this is a laboratory strain. However, there is no plausible explanation for how this site got into the virus through "normal" mutagenic processes. Minimally, this is grounds for the immediate auditing of the sequences of all viral strains used by researchers at the Wuhan institute and those of any foreign collaborators (probably some Americans) there's no way this hasn't already been done.

The somewhat longer version is like this. The parent strains of SARS-COV-2 appear to be a bat strain from China and a Pangolion strain from Malaysia. This isn't abnormal in itself. Viruses can recombine with each other if a host is infected with both strains. The problem is that the Furin site isn't found in either parent strain or in any other known bat or pangolion strains. The Furin site isn't the result of one or two small mutations. It is a 12 nucleotide/4 amino acid insertion. A mutation of this size does not occur randomly/in one step absent something like a poly-nucleotide expansion (e.g. AAAAA to AAAAAAAAA or CGTCGTCGT to CGTCGTCGTCGTCGTCGT), which isn't what is happening here. Additionally, the Furin site is basically what makes SARS-COV-2 so virulent and possibly mediates its ability to infect multiple tissue types. Without the Furin site, we would not be in lockdown/quarentine for a year on now. The Furin site is found in the coronavirus that causes MERS, but the parent strain isn't MERS (i.e. this isn't a crossover event between bat coronavirus and MERS coronavirus).

I've read rebuttals of the lab strain theory, but none of the provide a plausible explanation for how the Furin site gets in there. They kind of wave their hands and say "it could happen!". And yes, it could happen. Technically, the presence of a Furin site isn't proof that it was added in a lab. You could have just happened to have a strand breakage/slip in a non-polynucleotide region that results in the insertion of exactly 4 codons with sequence unrelated to the sequence context and without some other template that just happen to code for a functional region that change the virus from "a cough" to "global pandemic."

If I had to guess, I'd guess lab strain.

If we're speculating further, if this is a lab strain, it doesn't mean that China is developing bioweapons or something. It could be that researchers were studying the biochemistry of the Furin site itself, and put it in a strain unrelated to MERS coronavirus to isolate its function from whatever else the MERS coronavirus genome. As Armadillo Tank posted, graduate students are underpaid, underfed, make mistakes, and occasionally work with global pandemic causing strains of pathogens. A graduate student working with an experimental strain that they didn't know would cause a global pandemic loving up and exposing themselves, and then leaving the lab to go to lunch is not implausible.

I've read here and other places that we've been sending money to the Wuhan institute. I've heard of international collaborative projects before, so its entirely possible, if this is a lab strain, that its development had american collaborators. Again, if so, I'm certain these collaborators have been quitely interviewed by the FBI or some other alphabet agency.

I'd be happy to read any specific rebuttals to the Furin insertion thing and be proven wrong.

Thanks for the analysis.

I'd add this little interaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MndwrOzDvo

The fact that the NIH (Fauci) was funding the research at the Wuhan lab makes me think they have a lot to lose if it's a lab leak.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Popy posted:

love when someone just assumes im a demorat

People these days are conditioned to use just one, or two, things to determine your political leanings.

You like guns? Rightwinger.

You like brunch? Leftwinger.

You like unions? Terrorist.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

spacetoaster posted:

People these days are conditioned to use just one, or two, things to determine your political leanings.

You like guns? Rightwinger.

You like brunch? Leftwinger.

You like unions? Terrorist.

I like butts, what does that make me?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

tom perez is such a worm

https://twitter.com/josheidelson/status/1398012179169779714

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

camoseven posted:

I like butts, what does that make me?

Openly, or secretly? This is important information.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1398335147003502592

I mean this guy is probably an evil lizard person but what is always striking to me is what a loving fool he sounds like. Though maybe he's just giving his voters the reflection of themselves that they want.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

spacetoaster posted:

Openly, or secretly? This is important information.

I'm VERY open about it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

camoseven posted:

I'm VERY open about it

Leftwinger.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1398335147003502592

I mean this guy is probably an evil lizard person but what is always striking to me is what a loving fool he sounds like. Though maybe he's just giving his voters the reflection of themselves that they want.

I thought more Dems would post how brave and necessary he is but I guess even the libs are tired of his poo poo, they'll still defend him above any lefties tho

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

The Dems can't even pass this stupid 1/6 investigative commission, something maybe 30% of them actually care about.

How are they going to pass literally anything else where maybe 5% of them care about it. lol

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1398370758221574147?s=19

what a sicko

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Watch pelosi limit the commission to just finding out if Ukraine encouraged people to protest

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

synapse posted:

The Dems can't even pass this stupid 1/6 investigative commission, something maybe 30% of them actually care about.

How are they going to pass literally anything else where maybe 5% of them care about it. lol

*Narrator Voice*

"They're not"

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
there's only one way we're ever gonna make change in this country

voting

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

I'll keep this short because I don't want to write a book. Background: I have a PhD in genetics, have been working in biomedical research for nearly 10 years, and my work involves genomic sequence analysis.

The short version is that the Furin site is not definitive proof that this is a laboratory strain. However, there is no plausible explanation for how this site got into the virus through "normal" mutagenic processes. Minimally, this is grounds for the immediate auditing of the sequences of all viral strains used by researchers at the Wuhan institute and those of any foreign collaborators (probably some Americans) there's no way this hasn't already been done.

The somewhat longer version is like this. The parent strains of SARS-COV-2 appear to be a bat strain from China and a Pangolion strain from Malaysia. This isn't abnormal in itself. Viruses can recombine with each other if a host is infected with both strains. The problem is that the Furin site isn't found in either parent strain or in any other known bat or pangolion strains. The Furin site isn't the result of one or two small mutations. It is a 12 nucleotide/4 amino acid insertion. A mutation of this size does not occur randomly/in one step absent something like a poly-nucleotide expansion (e.g. AAAAA to AAAAAAAAA or CGTCGTCGT to CGTCGTCGTCGTCGTCGT), which isn't what is happening here. Additionally, the Furin site is basically what makes SARS-COV-2 so virulent and possibly mediates its ability to infect multiple tissue types. Without the Furin site, we would not be in lockdown/quarentine for a year on now. The Furin site is found in the coronavirus that causes MERS, but the parent strain isn't MERS (i.e. this isn't a crossover event between bat coronavirus and MERS coronavirus).

I've read rebuttals of the lab strain theory, but none of the provide a plausible explanation for how the Furin site gets in there. They kind of wave their hands and say "it could happen!". And yes, it could happen. Technically, the presence of a Furin site isn't proof that it was added in a lab. You could have just happened to have a strand breakage/slip in a non-polynucleotide region that results in the insertion of exactly 4 codons with sequence unrelated to the sequence context and without some other template that just happen to code for a functional region that change the virus from "a cough" to "global pandemic."

If I had to guess, I'd guess lab strain.

If we're speculating further, if this is a lab strain, it doesn't mean that China is developing bioweapons or something. It could be that researchers were studying the biochemistry of the Furin site itself, and put it in a strain unrelated to MERS coronavirus to isolate its function from whatever else the MERS coronavirus genome. As Armadillo Tank posted, graduate students are underpaid, underfed, make mistakes, and occasionally work with global pandemic causing strains of pathogens. A graduate student working with an experimental strain that they didn't know would cause a global pandemic loving up and exposing themselves, and then leaving the lab to go to lunch is not implausible.

I've read here and other places that we've been sending money to the Wuhan institute. I've heard of international collaborative projects before, so its entirely possible, if this is a lab strain, that its development had american collaborators. Again, if so, I'm certain these collaborators have been quitely interviewed by the FBI or some other alphabet agency.

I'd be happy to read any specific rebuttals to the Furin insertion thing and be proven wrong.

As someone who was an unpaid undergrad doing grunt work for credit, it's amazing how much stuff I was allowed to touch. I can't corroborate this post on the academic merits since I went into chemical engineering after genetics and largely forgot everything, but as always, incompetence is usually the right answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
manchin is hilarious. keep in mind that centrists believe these are the only people you can elected in the states they need to make gains in, so when they say we have to take more seats, they're saying they want more manchins