Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kurzon posted:

This is a bit of a fringe topic in scientific circles, but I've been following researchers who say that within this century, humans will develop means by which to halt the aging process, perhaps even reverse it. I find it funny that this topic doesn't appear much in science fiction. Star Trek takes place several centuries into the future but humans still age and die at more or less the same pace. I suppose because nobody is talking much about it in science magazines (we're too fixated on AI and quantum computers), it hasn't attracted much notice from sci-fi writers.

There was a season 1 TNG episode where an admiral takes a rejuvenation drug but it eventually kills him. Then there was the season 6 episode "Rascals" where Picard is turned into an adolescent by a transporter accident. So they actually have the means to rejuvenate people, they just don't use it.

Hot take: We fuckin' shouldn't be immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Funny enough I just saw an article this week that, given no breakthrough DNA treatments, human lifespan seems to be capped at about 140-150.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

VanSandman posted:

Hot take: We fuckin' shouldn't be immortal.

Hot take: People dying is bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I died three weeks ago and I’m still posting out of sheer momentum

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Middle ground: Our current society is ill prepared for immortals.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Correct Ground: Immortal AI will kill immortal humans, thus balancing it out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
None of this matters this immortal poo poo is just science clickbait

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kurzon posted:

This is a bit of a fringe topic in scientific circles, but I've been following researchers who say that within this century, humans will develop means by which to halt the aging process, perhaps even reverse it. I find it funny that this topic doesn't appear much in science fiction. Star Trek takes place several centuries into the future but humans still age and die at more or less the same pace. I suppose because nobody is talking much about it in science magazines (we're too fixated on AI and quantum computers), it hasn't attracted much notice from sci-fi writers.

There was a season 1 TNG episode where an admiral takes a rejuvenation drug but it eventually kills him. Then there was the season 6 episode "Rascals" where Picard is turned into an adolescent by a transporter accident. So they actually have the means to rejuvenate people, they just don't use it.

what stories are there to do with immortalish humans that aren't just dark, dystopic scifi poo poo? Not to sound like a crazed villain with inscrutable motives, but Death is a Gift. A great gift to the self but more importantly, a great gift and relief to everyone else. Let's leave immortality to better animals, like some weird jellyfish or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Along the same lines it's weird how many religions threaten you with eternal life after death. How is that appealing? OH boy, can't wait to never get a loving break.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Eternal life would lead to some fukken insane megalomaniacs and insane crazy backstabbing, for those who seek power and to rule over others. IE: psychopaths.

It's why hypothetical politics in fictional worlds with long-living inhabitants like Vampire the Masquerade or such are so 'interesting': imagine having the same lovely boss that never retires... for like, ever.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Funny enough I just saw an article this week that, given no breakthrough DNA treatments, human lifespan seems to be capped at about 140-150.
The DS9 relaunch novels dealt with that a bit with the character of Elias Vaughn, the new second-in-command. When the books pick up in 2376 he's 102 with a career in Starfleet Intelligence that spans most of the 24th century, but he's depicted as being as spry as a modern 60 year old. (In retrospect I'm glad the writers were able to restrain themselves and made him *juuust* young enough to avoid meeting the TOS crew. He's established as being born the year after TMP, and he's accepted to Starfleet Academy a year after TUC.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's the real trick. 150 year lifespan is just fine so long as you remain sharp, active, and healthy up until the end.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Middle ground: Our current society is ill prepared for immortals.

Bullshit, Highlander was filmed over 30 years ago

Also lmao at all this "death is a gift!" philosophical naval gazing during a pandemic

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would like to live forever, and no, I don’t particularly care that humans aren’t meant to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the primary problem with immortality is big mean jerks living forever, nothing personal.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

TOS episode names are actually like that in Japanese and they're awesome. Including:

Mystery on Planet Pyrus Seven
Energy from Underground 160km
Revenge! Gas Monster
Planet-type Spaceship Hoving in Space
Vampire Monster on Planet M113

Here's my guesses:

?? I don't remember Pyrus Seven (is that even the original planet name?), this could be so many episodes
Return to Tomorrow
Obsession
For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky
The Man Trap

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean it is horrible to think about but yeah, what if your horrible boss never dies? What if your terrible racist congressmen never has to retire? What if sexist guys don't die off and it's still the prevailing attitude? Sadly generational change is a thing and it's mostly been a good thing. How do you have immortality and not have a world that's divided by Musk, Gates, Zucc, and so on?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
change comes from fighting for it and not just waiting for bad people to die out (they just make new ones)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The outcome of my country's recent election was in part decided by the fact that one team spent so much time convincing it's supporters to get themselves killed with plague.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Imagine all the lovely billionaires (and all billionaires are lovely) living forever and compound-interesting themselves into trillionaires who act like black holes for money and power while everyone else has to survive on the ever-diminishing scraps. Imagine horrible flesh-wastes like Trump or Xi or Putin or Erdogan or Modi or any other toxic autocratic shithead hanging around forever like a cancerous mass in their country's politics, with all their followers being equally unexciseable.

Yeah. I don't want to die, but we need death, if only to clear out the worst loving people in the world.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Here's my guesses:

?? I don't remember Pyrus Seven (is that even the original planet name?), this could be so many episodes

Catspaw. :pseudo:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This is all garbage posting for a Star Trek thread, seriously do you fuckers write for CBS or something

"We need death to clear out the billionaires" technically is the correct response I suppose just not in the way y'all mean

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just because they don't age doesn't mean we can't guillotine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tighclops posted:

This is all garbage posting for a Star Trek thread, seriously do you fuckers write for CBS or something

"We need death to clear out the billionaires" technically is the correct response I suppose just not in the way y'all mean

seeking immortality is something only evil villains do, why you acting like it's some virtuous thing? Apes Live Forever isn't a Star Trek ideal and this is fair posting for a Star Trek thread. Fuckin Data's quantum sim requested Picard pull the plug on him so he could experience mortality. Picard's corpse's copy's quantum sim made sure to check if they made him immortal because he still wanted to retain mortality.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Khanstant posted:

seeking immortality is something only evil villains do, why you acting like it's some virtuous thing? Apes Live Forever isn't a Star Trek ideal and this is fair posting for a Star Trek thread. Fuckin Data's quantum sim requested Picard pull the plug on him so he could experience mortality. Picard's corpse's copy's quantum sim made sure to check if they made him immortal because he still wanted to retain mortality.

Those guys are losers

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"a bloo bloo humans produce such evil monsters that we all need to die eventually to thin out the herd!"

very optimistic, I can feel the utopian positivity flowing out of my rear end what a fantastic attitude timelessly reflected in such thoughtfully written science fiction brainworks like Star TRek: Picard

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the cellular regeneration and entertainment chamber guy from DS9 who thought people died because their cells got bored didn't seem like a villain to me

sounds to me like somebody's just another soulless minion of orthodoxy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Are we going to talk about humans developing super powers next

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dude if you wanna live forever just evolve into a being of pure mind or energy or whatever, hanging around as a fleshbag is childish if you have other options

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WHAT IF HITLER WAS IMMORTAL

He'd be dead from a gunshot wound because he lost his loving war, mortal or not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I would not want to live forever, but I wouldn’t mind reincarnating every once and a while with all my memories and mental faculties intact so I could check in on what’s been happening since I was last here. Like an occasional death vacation.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Watching the final episode of DS9. Odo wanting to return to the Great Link is hard for me to wrap my head around since every Changeling we meet in the show is dickish. They have their reasons not to trust solids but like that dude Odo met who was also a Changeling the Great Link shot into space was a massive rear end in a top hat that caused security issues on the station.

They were consistent about Odo having a weakspot for other Changelings (he tolerated the other Changeling's antics a lot more than he would anyone else and it was consistent.) But it's hard for me to understand why he wants to go back when they treat him so badly and constantly put him down for making a life amongst the solids. It is a thing for Odo that he feels alone and that finding out the Great Link exists is a great thing for him but even when he finds out other Changelings are assholes he still wants to be with them.

IDK I don't get it. I don't think its a flaw in the story or anything, I just don't understand going back to a society that doesn't like you and treats you like trash.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well they're all one consciousness really, so that means Odo is them, and they are Odo. I think he's hoping that he can retain enough of his own personality and outlook that he can pull their politics back from 'completely loving horrendous and evil' to 'a bit less so'. But also he probably feels an automatic, inbuilt desire to return.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wasn't clear on where baby Changelings come from, to create the 100 they sent out in the first place. Like...can the Link create more goop?

The whole mechanics of how Goop Ocean is full of discrete consciousnesses is hard to understand, because I'm a solid.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can view it as a self-sacrifice. He wants to cure the other changelings and he wants them to stop the war but they won't stop the war if the only thing they get is the cure. The changeling leader made reference at least a few times earlier in the show that she would give up everything if it meant Odo returning to the link and being safe. So Odo cures them and in return for stopping the war returns himself to the link.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

I would not want to live forever, but I wouldn’t mind reincarnating every once and a while with all my memories and mental faculties intact so I could check in on what’s been happening since I was last here. Like an occasional death vacation.

Ok, I’m changing my answer to this because it sounds nice. Just let me pop back in every hundred years or so to see if humanity has become an Arthur C. Clarke novel or not.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ok, I’m changing my answer to this because it sounds nice. Just let me pop back in every hundred years or so to see if humanity has become an Arthur C. Clarke novel or not.

Significant chance you pop back in to find that humanity has become entirely devoted in your absence to the cult of the Great Recurrent One Beyond Death

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I imagine Odo's decision was also heavily influenced by his encounters with time-displaced old Odo from "Children of Time" and Laas. The two of them were raised in humanoid societies (Laas himself was involved with a woman seriously enough that children were considered), but over the centuries the two of them both drifted away and grew indifferent to the affairs of solids to the point of sociopathy. I imagine those encounters prompted a fair amount of soul-searching in Odo, and probably forced him to ask some hard questions about what he wanted to do for the rest of his existence. What's he going to do once Kira and everyone he knows on DS9 dies of old age? Is he going to be security chief until the station is scrapped? How many times can you form new relationships before you start seeing people as derivatives of archetypes you've known before? What do you do once you don't recognize anything in the world, and the world has no interest in your values in turn? There's also the fact that Odo actually did want to return to the Great Link in spite of everything. It was the deepest secret Garak was able to torture out of him, and while that was all the way back in the third season, I would say it still held true through all of DS9's run.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kibayasu posted:

You can view it as a self-sacrifice. He wants to cure the other changelings and he wants them to stop the war but they won't stop the war if the only thing they get is the cure. The changeling leader made reference at least a few times earlier in the show that she would give up everything if it meant Odo returning to the link and being safe. So Odo cures them and in return for stopping the war returns himself to the link.

Yeah, it's a combination of this and the fact that innately, he feels incomplete without the link because he kind of literally is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Odo always wanted to find out where he came from, and he probably would have just stayed on the Founder Homeworld had they not been so xenophobic and belligerent.