Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Her husband used to torture people in abu ghraib.

after reflecting on my time spent torturing and terrorizing iraqis i have come to realize that war is bad actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tried to show my wife the eve fartlow tablet article and on mobile they have locked it behind a "donation" wall but the x is just a picture of an x not a cancel/esc so you cant read the article on a phone without giving them money. so we looked at it on pc instead.

edit: nm i can close the donation screen on phones now must have been a hiccup

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 21:53 on May 28, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Kind of ironic considering the magazine's name

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1398377497419567116?s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:allears:

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Mar-a-lago was the first private club in the area to allow jewish members.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Isn't Bennett even more right wing than Netanyahu

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Looking forward to big changes from "New Right"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

One of the planks for Yesh Atid (the other guy's party) is to end military exemptions for Orthodox.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Doesn't any netanyahu-ousting coalition with the current seat numbers require arab party contribution

If so will be interesting to see if it survives the settler invasion due in 2 weeks

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

he wants to annex the west bank and bragged about killing palestinians

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
So he's an Israeli centrist

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

is there any other corroboration for this

edit: never mind, just found some

ded redd has issued a correction as of 22:44 on May 28, 2021

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The main difference between the proposed alternative coalition and the current gov aside from "bibi sucks" is that they might be marginally less subservient to the ultra-orthodox

even if bibi somehow doesn't effortlessly defeat this challenge at the last moment, like he did to every single one before it, literally nothing will change when it comes to Palestine

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AsaWinstanley/status/1398394180590841857?s=20

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/ilangoldenberg/status/1398341375926718464

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Office Pig posted:

is there any other corroboration for this

edit: never mind, just found some

jpost confirms

quote:

Yamina leader Naftali Bennett agreed to forming a coalition government with Yesh Atid head Yair Lapid, N12 reported.
The two sides agreed that Bennett will serve first as prime minister until September 2023, when Lapid will take over until November 2025, according to N12. The swearing-in ceremony is expected to take place in 10 days, following an announcement of the new government either on Saturday night or Sunday.

This came following Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's attack on Bennett on Friday, accusing him of rejecting a right-wing government and instead seeking to become prime minister of a "government of the Left."
In a three minute video released on social media, Netanyahu revealed that Likud and Yamina negotiators had reached what he called a far-reaching agreement, but Bennett refused to sign it. The agreement would create a coalition of 59 MKs, two less than is needed. Bennett has declined to form a minority government and urged Netanyahu to find two defectors.

Also lmao at Bennett being accused of wanting a left government

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

:toot:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

might want to hold your breath for a bit

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well some posters were arguing that this latest act of evil was because Netanyahu is trying to avoid something like this.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

Well some posters were arguing that this latest act of evil was because Netanyahu is trying to avoid something like this.

it very transparently was and it worked for a bit until the ceasefire gave the nazis to his right ammo to call him weak

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

It was but he's being ousted because he stopped

Let that sink in. Ruminate on it.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Lostconfused posted:

Oh, it's 100% this, it couldn't be more transparent if he tried. They were on the verge of closing this exact same deal when troops went into al aqsa and started pelting everyone with tear gas

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think there's a good case to be made that Netanyahu didn't want to be belligerent in East Jerusalem, and that it was other forces in Israeli politics ratcheting up the tensions because they knew the government couldn't handle a crisis. Netanyahu isn't stupid, he seemed to be aware early on that Israel was going to lose the confrontation with Palestinians. None of this is to defend Netanyahu, just that if you thought the dysfunction in Israeli politics was bad before just wait and see what's coming. Being in power so long gave Netanyahu the mindset of being a colonial administrator. You can keep people down for a long time so long as you don't push them too far. Whoever replaces him is going to be an idealist.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think there's a good case to be made that Netanyahu didn't want to be belligerent in East Jerusalem, and that it was other forces in Israeli politics ratcheting up the tensions because they knew the government couldn't handle a crisis. Netanyahu isn't stupid, he seemed to be aware early on that Israel was going to lose the confrontation with Palestinians. None of this is to defend Netanyahu, just that if you thought the dysfunction in Israeli politics was bad before just wait and see what's coming. Being in power so long gave Netanyahu the mindset of being a colonial administrator. You can keep people down for a long time so long as you don't push them too far. Whoever replaces him is going to be an idealist.

you have to wonder if the absurd continuation of the israeli government from america in some years wasn't at least partly a product of fearing this exact outcome. not enough to be anything but a negligible factor, mind you, but we're talking about a nuclear power whose population has been so radicalized that the very suggestion of peace alone seems to be cause for murder. remote as the possibility seems, there has to have been at least one person who gave these circumstances a good looking over and decided a controlling thug like netanyahu was a better alternative than someone who really represented the israelis.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
mind you tel aviv could spontaneously burst into columns of every day israelis parading around palestinian body parts and the metropole's reaction would remain fairly steady

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

The main difference between the proposed alternative coalition and the current gov aside from "bibi sucks" is that they might be marginally less subservient to the ultra-orthodox

a very tepid start to the Israeli Civil War between the Haredi and the IDF in World War Z

quote:

I know the repatriation of Palestinian was unpopular, so was the general pullout from the West Bank. I’m sure the Strategic Hamlet Resettlement Program must have inflamed more than its share of hearts. A lot of Israelis had to watch their houses bulldozed in order to make way for those fortified, self-sufficient residential compounds. Al Quds, I believe . . . that was the final straw. The Coalition Government decided that it was the one major weak point, too large to control and a hole that led right into the heart of Israel. They not only evacuated the city, but the entire Nablus to Hebron corridor as well. They believed that rebuilding a shorter wall along the 1967 demarcation line was the only way to ensure physical security, no matter what backlash might occur from their own religious right. I learned all this much later, you understand, as well as the fact that the only reason the IDF eventually triumphed was because the majority of the rebels came from the ranks of the Ultra-Orthodox and therefore most had never served in the armed forces.

Maximo Roboto has issued a correction as of 00:53 on May 29, 2021

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Maximo Roboto posted:

a very tepid start to the Israeli Civil War between the Haredi and theIDF in World War Z

drat that all sounds awesome

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

it's also predicated on an Israeli government being implausibly moderate enough to endorse Palestinian right-to-return (to use as cannon fodder?) and to abandon occupied territory up to 1967 borders including Jerusalem as being strategically unsustainable, even in the face of zombie apocalypse. though upon re-reading that passage, it was probably Mel Brooks' son doing subtle satire by invoking the imagery of Israelis seeing their own homes bulldozed

https://worldwarz.fandom.com/wiki/Saladin_Kader%27s_Interview

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

isnt wwz the movie where loud muslim prayers doom israel by coaxing the zombies to breach the wall?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

isnt wwz the movie where loud muslim prayers doom israel by coaxing the zombies to breach the wall?

the film was Brad Pitt slapdashedly adapting parts of Brooks' Ken Burns-style mocukementary novel in crayon with explosions, so yes

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Maximo Roboto posted:

the film was Brad Pitt slapdashedly adapting parts of Brooks' Ken Burns-style mocukementary novel in crayon with explosions, so yes

oh don't worry, they're making a sequel

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

muttering "bennett won the bibi bowl" to myself in the liquor store

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In World War Z the book, a pre-apartheid South African official proposes fortifying a few small areas and letting most of the population die outside of them. Initially, the only country brutal enough to go through with this plan is Israel. The movie really mangled the political themes of the book, which is a metaphor for terrorism and the fact that the military can't simply fight it by blowing up terrorists.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Chamale posted:

In World War Z the book, a pre-apartheid South African official proposes fortifying a few small areas and letting most of the population die outside of them. Initially, the only country brutal enough to go through with this plan is Israel. The movie really mangled the political themes of the book, which is a metaphor for terrorism and the fact that the military can't simply fight it by blowing up terrorists.

Yea I remember it being pretty heartless. Also they found the most success returning to old-school lock & load battle rifles and spades.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

kinda reminds me of breivik. for some reason.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lmao of course the lib pig is going to let the fascist go first

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1398377945211736068?s=20

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Stringent posted:

lmao of course the lib pig is going to let the fascist go first

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1398377945211736068?s=20

Will go as well for Lapid as it did for Big Brain Benny.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm guessing the new administration is going to be slightly less tight with the white house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Southpaugh posted:

I'm guessing the new administration is going to be slightly less tight with the white house?

Bibi was tight with Biden? :thunk: