Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Someone calling HL2 a retro FPS made me collapse into dust and blow away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Which calls of duty are retro?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Which calls of duty are retro?

CoD 1 and 2 for sure, maybe 3. I think ‘04-05 is the general cutoff date for the thread since UT2K4 is kosher.

I’d argue the release of the Xbox360 in ‘06 should be the cutoff since that’s when the linear military shooter really too control of the FPS genre.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Groovelord Neato posted:

Half-Life 2 was released closer to the fall of the Berlin Wall than today’s date.

For that matter, The Ultimate Doom was released closer to the Apollo 11 moon landing than today.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

CoD 1 and 2 for sure, maybe 3. I think ‘04-05 is the general cutoff date for the thread since UT2K4 is kosher.

I’d argue the release of the Xbox360 in ‘06 should be the cutoff since that’s when the linear military shooter really too control of the FPS genre.

if you go off game mechanics rather than release date, CoD 2 introduced the now-ubiquitous "catch your breath to heal wounds" mechanic, while 1 still had a health bar and health pickups. and iirc 1 introduced looking down the sights while Medal of Honor was still crosshairs-only.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Groovelord Neato posted:

How is it not a retro FPS? In both age and design it is archaic.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Cleopatra lived closer to Misri Halek than the construction of the pyramids.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
When Half-Life 2 came out I was just off of summer vacation of freshman year of high school.

I'm 33 next month. :rip:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Cleopatra lived closer to Misri Halek than the construction of the pyramids.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The United States posted:

How is it not a retro FPS? In both age and design it is archaic.

Because I was in college when it came out.

At least in my mind Source engine games aren’t retro. I’m not sure where the cutoff is but it’s probably the early 00s.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

When Half-Life 2 came out I was just off of summer vacation of freshman year of high school.

I'm 33 next month. :rip:

I got it for Christmas that year, on break my freshman year of high school. 33 coming up. It still feels like one of the most advanced highwater marks in gaming to me even though it's so... so old...............

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I define "early FPS" as anything from the era when they were being designed for PC and ported to consoles, rather than the reverse.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I define "early FPS" as anything from the era when they were being designed for PC and ported to consoles, rather than the reverse.

I think the original 2.5d FPS megathread was started in about 2007/8, which would cover games released up to about 10 years prior? The scope has definitely grown a lot since then!

edit: i think the original thread is now older than Doom itself was when it started :corsair:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

going further with my idea that mechanics define retro rather than release date, doom eternal is retro and far cry 2 isn't. this may not be a great metric

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
maybe eventually it would be helpful to have multiple Retro FPS threads since games from 2011 are considered retro by folks who were children when they came out and it's only gonna keep sliding. where should the line be though? pre and post daikatana? :q:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“Early FPS” is still a good enough metric for stuff like Wolf to Quake so this thread is still fine.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

maybe eventually it would be helpful to have multiple Retro FPS threads since games from 2011 are considered retro by folks who were children when they came out and it's only gonna keep sliding. where should the line be though? pre and post daikatana? :q:

VVVVVVVVVV

SeANMcBAY posted:

“Early FPS” is still a good enough metric for stuff like Wolf to Quake so this thread is still fine.

I mean, it's fine to talk about Dusk/Amid Evil and these games in here but I love this thread to keep up with Doom/Quake and some other 90's FPS maps, mods and such. I don't think anyone will get annoyed that someone talks about HL2 or any other more "modern" one.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
in my mind you can break FPSes into four subtypes and although there's some linkage to age of game, it's not absolute:

non-scripted 3D FPSes
Scripted, non health regenerating 3D FPSES
tournament FPSes
health regenerating FPSes
open world FPSes

the thread regulars here tend to absolutely agree on #1, allow for some of #2 and some of #3, and don't talk much about the 4th and onwards

longer version of argument, centered around PC titles

here are example non-scripted 3D FPSes that are absolutely in the wheelhouse of Retro Games
Doom I/][
Duke3D
Blood
Quake I/II
Dusk
Amid Evil

here are example scripted FPSes that tend to make it into the conversation, either due to style, time of release, or lineage

SiN
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Titanfall 2
Halo

- honorary RPG-FPS category that usually gets tucked in here -
Deus Ex
System Shock

here are example scripted FPSes that don't tend to make it into the conversation, either due to style or due to time of release
Wolfenstein reboots
Call of Duty 1
Medal of Honor
Far Cry 1

here are example tournament FPSes that make it into the conversation, imo due to time of release
xs
quake 3
unreal tournament 99/2003/2004

here are example tournament FPSes that don't, either due to time of release or style
fortnite
apex legends
overwatch

the regen and open world categories are a little more cut and dry imo

i super like DOOM and DOOM Eternal and i think we discuss them here due to lineage but while i think that DOOM is a retro FPS in some ways, it starts to get pretty close to being more like a beat-em-up with cooldowns, and eternal keeps going down thta path

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I always thought it was because by that point in the war (25+ years I think?) most humans in the UNSC understood Sangheli. Sanghelis? Sungondese??

But that might not make sense, because in Halo Reach, which takes place only days before the events of CE, all the Covenant speak in their weird alien language.

I think its supposed to canonically be that Cortana is translating for you, but :shrug:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think it matters what people specifically discuss in this thread because generally everyone is smart enough to collectively acknowledge if a topic really, genuinely has no place taking up an entire page or so of posts in it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't think of a single time someone has jumped in talking about a game that we deemed "not thread appropriate" tbh

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

i can't think of a single time someone has jumped in talking about a game that we deemed "not thread appropriate" tbh

Yeah, while the talk of what is a retro fps is recurrent, it's because we love to talk about it, about video game categories, etc, not because people get uppity about game x being in the thread.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Early FPS is just a state of mind, man :catdrugs:

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah, while the talk of what is a retro fps is recurrent, it's because we love to talk about it, about video game categories, etc, not because people get uppity about game x being in the thread.

But yeah, really as long as there's a clear line to an acknowledged early FPS the thread's fine with it. The only time I can think of recently where we talked about games absolutely not covered by the thread, it was a brief but delightful digression about classic RTSs rather than to a recent FPS (and led to the creation of the Early RTS Thread).

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
the whole concept of off topic is itself something that is silly, it's a conversational medium and if people are engaging that's a win

we all just want someone to talk to, after all

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah if a more modern FPS gets brought up it's usually in the context of comparing it to retro and retro styled FPS games, so most definitely still on topic

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tim Thomas posted:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Who wants to talk about Haze

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Tim Thomas posted:

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
started playing quake 2 today it's worse than i remember

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i guess graven still needs some work

https://twitter.com/CaseyExplosion/status/1398467740181086211?s=20

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Voodoo Cafe posted:

started playing quake 2 today it's worse than i remember

I have absolutely no nostalgia for that game.

I remember the first time I played it I told my friend “I had no idea they could make a game this much better than Quake” based on - I dunno, the enemies could duck? The game utterly wore off its novelty though and even watching videos brings back immense feelings of tedium.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

This is why I avoid early access

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Groovelord Neato posted:

Because I was in college when it came out.

At least in my mind Source engine games aren’t retro. I’m not sure where the cutoff is but it’s probably the early 00s.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Interestingly turns out Team Fortress 2 is exactly smack dab in the middle between Doom and the present day at there being 14 years between either and it's release date in 2007

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fitting because tf2 is one of the last multiplayer games with strong boomer shooter influence that still has a sizable userbase, despite all the bots

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

david_a posted:

I have absolutely no nostalgia for that game.

I remember the first time I played it I told my friend “I had no idea they could make a game this much better than Quake” based on - I dunno, the enemies could duck? The game utterly wore off its novelty though and even watching videos brings back immense feelings of tedium.

Man, yeah. I recently bought Quad Touch and some legit copies of Quake/Quake 2 on GoG and thought I'd have some fun reliving the memories. I bounced off Quake 2 hard. It wasn't even like I played it at launch, it was many years after (pretty sure I got it with the deluxe Quake 4 edition), but hoo boy. That is just one very brown and very boring game in 2021.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
2007-08 era TF2 was so good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have never completed Quake 2.

Although its more orange than brown, isn't it? Quake 1 is the total sepia game.

E: I just remembered that technically brown is a shade of orange.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 29, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quake 1 is pretty drat brown but in the best ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only good parts of the Quake 2 campaign are the music and the railgun.