Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

AnoHito posted:

It made the bit where V just offed Kubota rather than deal with any more of his bullshit incredibly satisfying, though.
Come to think of it, isn't that what Redcloak tried to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yes, but unfortunately he targeted a PC cleric instead of some third string NPC bad guy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

oobey posted:

That said, the whole Azure City Exiles sailing arc drags rear end even on a reread. It was really hard for me to not just skip over pages at a time during that segment.

Glad to hear I am not the only one that feels that way.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Come to think of it, isn't that what Redcloak tried to do?

There's a difference between executing a captive, and trying to kill an envoy in middle of peace talks.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ZearothK posted:

Glad to hear I am not the only one that feels that way.

HOWEVER, it builds up to the apex of V selling their soul, so it is important.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
your irritation as a reader makes you empathize with V's irritation as a character!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There's a narrative point to strips where "nothing happens".

It shows short amounts of time passing. Which allows for a reader to feel it's believable when something time consuming has been done off panel. Be it Sirini making an elaborate trap, Xykon and Redcloak clearing a dungeon entirely, it won't feel out of place if there's down time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ikanreed posted:

There's a narrative point to strips where "nothing happens".

It shows short amounts of time passing. Which allows for a reader to feel it's believable when something time consuming has been done off panel. Be it Sirini making an elaborate trap, Xykon and Redcloak clearing a dungeon entirely, it won't feel out of place if there's down time.

This but also like, you should like spending time with these characters while they dick around? That's kind of the foundation of the comic?

Though I will admit the split party arc is definitely the biggest slog on a reread, specifically Elan's bit.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't think the issue was this strip being filler. The issue was it was kind of boring.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ronya posted:

your irritation as a reader makes you empathize with V's irritation as a character!

Yeah. While rereading I honestly kinda dug how what felt like genuine problems with the storytelling at the time were obviously building up to some of the most cathartic and horrifying moments in the comic. It would not have worked remotely as well without a whole book's worth of setup.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only part I felt really dragged was the big desert confrontation with Tarquin. In part because I thought he'd had quite enough screentime and in part because Vampire Durkon was just kinda hanging out in the background, and it was obvious that whatever would happen when the story got around to him would be amazing.

That did also wind up to a slam dunk of a conclusion and holds up much better as part of a full book.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That did also wind up to a slam dunk of a conclusion and holds up much better as part of a full book.
Elan gets probably one of the best lines in the whole drat story here

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was never fully in love with the Godsmoot stuff, like it's important to the story but it felt like an abrupt shift at the time and a lot of the main cast didn't have a lot to do in it. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me as much as other diversions.

And again it probably reads better all at once.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was never fully in love with the Godsmoot stuff, like it's important to the story but it felt like an abrupt shift at the time and a lot of the main cast didn't have a lot to do in it. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me as much as other diversions.

And again it probably reads better all at once.

I jumped back in at that point where Roy and the vampire were fighting and it read okay

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wolfsheim posted:

Its funny that this thread is almost fifteen years old and people are still saying this, same as it ever was :laffo:

I think some people would really prefer the plot be boiled down to a wikipedia list summarizing important story moments, or possibly a youtube compilation of them set to music

It's been like 2 years since anyone other than durkon really did anything. :shrug:

I'm just hoping we'll get some kind of payoff before the end of the year.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

iirc people said it was from one of the books?

Quippie, an Osquip that belonged to Kandro's grandfather, that Logann got when Kandro died and pawned off to Haley.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 30, 2021

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

World Famous W posted:

Elan gets probably one of the best lines in the whole drat story here

I agree but am curious which of his three consecutive extremely good lines in that part you're referring to

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ConfusedUs posted:

Disintegrate.

Gust of Wind.

:perfect:

The best bit about that is it fulfills v's prophecy too: the right 4 words (since kubota was an rear end) to the right person (see above) for all the wrong reasons (v just wanted to progress the story). A few strips later, bam ultimate power.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

sebmojo posted:

The best bit about that is it fulfills v's prophecy too: the right 4 words (since kubota was an rear end) to the right person (see above) for all the wrong reasons (v just wanted to progress the story). A few strips later, bam ultimate power.

Book 4 author commentary: Rich said in the commentary that the right four words were: "I...I must succeed." when accepting the Fiends offer. The repeated "I" is important because it emphasizes V's flaw of ego - needing to succeed on their own without admitting that their magic can't solve everything.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Book 4 author commentary: Rich said in the commentary that the right four words were: "I...I must succeed." when accepting the Fiends offer. The repeated "I" is important because it emphasizes V's flaw of ego - needing to succeed on their own without admitting that their magic can't solve everything.

I think I like sebmojo's take better.

DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

THE BAR posted:

DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!

You should be well on your way to ultimate power now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Killing Kubota was mostly fine even if it wasn't lawful. Killing him without bothering to understand why was probably worse, but still not the lynchpin in any arc.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

THE BAR posted:

DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!

Don't say that! :ohdear:

i hope rich is okay

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

THE BAR posted:

I think I like sebmojo's take better.

I'm undecided, myself:

Kubota:

- The right four words mattered. Anything other than a perma-death could have resulted in Kubota's retainers or family resurrecting him (and we know from the desert arc that Disintegration + scatter the ashes is the go-to permadeath tool in the OotsVerse)
- The right person mattered, totally.
- The wrong reasons... not so much. Whatever his reasons for killing Kubota, the imp would still have selected V as the most powerful and therefore best next temptation target.

Fiends:

- The right four words... eh. Any affirmation (or none at all) would have worked. Not an issue of choice of words at all.
- The right person(s), well, that too, kinda obvious though.
- The wrong reasons, yes, absolutely. Without those wrong reasons he likely wouldn't have received the offer in the first place.

I guess the issue is that killing Kubota was very disconnected from the apotheosis, so it feels more dramatic (in a classical sense), but less personally meaningful. If the prophecy refers to the Fiends, it becomes a more explicit warning: "you will not achieve it under your own power, but as someone else's puppet".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm sure there'll be another four words uttered by V before the conclusion of the story.

Is a three-way soul splice truly "ultimate power"?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ultimate power as defined by V, I would say probably yes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm sure there'll be another four words uttered by V before the conclusion of the story.

It (probably) made them the most powerful living magic user at the time if you go by sheer number of high level spells.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Realistically V probably should have won that fight if they weren't dangerously overconfident and unused to fighting high level caster battles.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
That's the point of Xykon's speech; power they weren't used to and couldn't fully control wasn't actually was never actually theirs.

Xykon's doesn't understand or accept the idea of sharing power and non-coercive cooperation, and so he's spend his entire existence ensuring that he's the best at those sort of confrontations.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 31, 2021

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Also Xykon is actually pretty well built to fight other casters

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Who What Now posted:

Also Xykon is actually pretty well built to fight other casters

His entire build is anti-caster. It's not a bad choice, honestly -- casters are powerful.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Colonel Cool posted:

Realistically V probably should have won that fight if they weren't dangerously overconfident and unused to fighting high level caster battles.

And if he hadn't lost 40% or so of their power before the fight even started.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A big part of the reason that fight happened in the first place was because otherwise there would be endless arguments of who would win in a fight, Xykon or Darth V?

Xykon. Xykon would. For the very reasons he outlined as he was choking the life out of V's battered body. Haerta's soul would not have made the difference. Xykon's whole history, such as it is, is him slaughtering wizards who are objectively more powerful than he is, because he understands their limitations as well as his own.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, Xykon seems to have spent his entire life before meeting Redcloak wandering the world dunking on high level wizards who dismissed him as a threat because he was a sorcerer. poo poo, he even used an epic spell slot on Superb Dispelling, which is a straight up caster duel weapon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That "power is power" formulation is both borderline nonsensical and genuinely profound, i've thought about it a lot.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

That "power is power" formulation is both borderline nonsensical and genuinely profound, i've thought about it a lot.

It's Rich's contribution to "People die when they are killed" and I love it.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think Rich wrote some commentary on how the splice fulfills V's specific prophecy question.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mmkay posted:

I think Rich wrote some commentary on how the splice fulfills V's specific prophecy question.

He did, I just prefer my explanation.

E: oh sorry, I misread this.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 31, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

Killing Kubota was mostly fine even if it wasn't lawful. Killing him without bothering to understand why was probably worse, but still not the lynchpin in any arc.

Yeah, this. Killing Kubota was not the catalyst for the breakup of the sub-group. Elan was shocked at the killing, but not really angry about it and evensaid "it's probably for the best". The catalyst happened when Elan got angry when V belittled the death of Therkla who literally died in his arms, and then V accused Elan of not caring about Haley.

mmkay posted:

Yeah, it's "literal genie"/"exact words" stuff. V had a complete set of all three Soul Splices, so could use all their spells (the sum total of their magic), and had more total spell levels than any other caster, giving them the ultimate set of arcane powers.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think all the prophecies, bar Elan's "happy ending" one, have been explicitly fulfilled since vampire Durkon invaded his hometown. You could even make a case that Elan's was fulfilled when he hooked up with Haley at the end of the arc or with Girard's ultimate phantasm, if you want to predict Elan coming to a tragic end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Belkar's is still waiting to drop.