Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The Swiss are just Alp Danes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i bet they still get purple hearts for especially bloody drone strikes

And for being a bloody idiot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kennel posted:

:aaaaa:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The swiss are coward alsatians.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Alhazred posted:

Which may suggest that the fear of a bloody battle may have been a bit exaggerated.

It was more than enough to cover Vietnam and have 30 more years of Purple Hearts, so I think they were expecting a lot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kennel posted:

Nah.

The Swiss are Alp Norwegians, weird mountain people with way too much money.
The Germans are middle Europe's Swedes, the large industrious country with a poo poo, but bizarrely popular music scene.
The Austrians are the Danes of the German-speaking countries, perverted and racist as all fuckery.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cause of death for roman emperors:
20 died of natural causes.
23 was assassinated.
9 died in battle.
8 was probably assassinated.
5 committed suicide.
1 died in captivity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah.

The Swiss are Alp Norwegians, weird mountain people with way too much money.
The Germans are middle Europe's Swedes, the large industrious country with a poo poo, but bizarrely popular music scene.
The Austrians are the Danes of the German-speaking countries, perverted and racist as all fuckery.

:negative:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Cause of death for roman emperors:
20 died of natural causes.
23 was assassinated.
9 died in battle.
8 was probably assassinated.
5 committed suicide.
1 died in captivity.

larry_david_pretty_good.gif

just read about the battle of Crécy in 1346. It's pretty much the same setup as Agincourt in 1415: The French outnumber the English 3 to 1, but the English are able to use the landscape to their advantage and deliver a devastating victory. I know history is written etc, but French sources don't disagree so I mean they should've learned a lesson for the latter one, no? wtf.

Literally 1,542 French noblemen died.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

They were basically expecting the Battle of Okinawa but all of Japan and even more fanatically defended. The initial invasion of Honshu alone was going to involve up to 40 divisions (D-Day was 12 by comparison).

Half a million Purple Hearts seems like a safe bet when you're being that pessimistic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carthag Tuek posted:

larry_david_pretty_good.gif

just read about the battle of Crécy in 1346. It's pretty much the same setup as Agincourt in 1415: The French outnumber the English 3 to 1, but the English are able to use the landscape to their advantage and deliver a devastating victory. I know history is written etc, but French sources don't disagree so I mean they should've learned a lesson for the latter one, no? wtf.

Literally 1,542 French noblemen died.

But somehow Valois kept the throne and the royals who started the war failed and lost everything

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My grandfather was on a support ship that was assigned to close beachhead support for the invasion of Japan. The captain told the crew all to make sure they settled their affairs and wrote home before they were going to sail off to join the invasion fleet. He said none of them expected to survive the first few days.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They were basically expecting the Battle of Okinawa but all of Japan and even more fanatically defended. The initial invasion of Honshu alone was going to involve up to 40 divisions (D-Day was 12 by comparison).

Half a million Purple Hearts seems like a safe bet when you're being that pessimistic.

And that was after they expected to invade and occupy part of Kyushu with a sizeable invasion force for several months, and never mind all the kamikaze attacks on the fleet itself, where Allied intelligence on the number of planes and boats and everything the Japanese had (And the fuel available for them) was a good bit below what they actually had. Operation Downfall would have been a bloodbath.

EDIT: For those interested, there’s a very good book called Hell to Pay about the whole subject.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 20:43 on May 28, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But somehow Valois kept the throne and the royals who started the war failed and lost everything

sure, but i was speaking to like military strategy. 70 years is a lot of time to absorb a lesson, but there must at least have been a bunch of intervening battles that skewed the lesson of archers being a winning strategy back to mounted knights.

also i guess chivalry was a thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e2: also re: staying in power, it might be good for the king if the nobles are culled regularly "through no fault of his own", it prevents them from creating too tight alliances and consolidating too much power

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 21:18 on May 28, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fartknocker posted:

And that was after they expected to invade and occupy part of Kyushu with a sizeable invasion force for several months, and never mind all the kamikaze attacks on the fleet itself, where Allied intelligence on the number of planes and boats and everything the Japanese had (And the fuel available for them) was a good bit below what they actually had. Operation Downfall would have been a bloodbath.

EDIT: For those interested, there’s a very good book called Hell to Pay about the whole subject.

Imma set a reminder to check that out from the library, I finally got around to watching The Pacific last month and holy hell

oh god I'm getting into WWII stuff I'm turning into a Dad and I don't even have kids

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phy posted:

Imma set a reminder to check that out from the library, I finally got around to watching The Pacific last month and holy hell

oh god I'm getting into WWII stuff I'm turning into a Dad and I don't even have kids

Just remember as you fall down the hole that nazi tanks were actually hilarious trash fires, not marvels of precise german engineering

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nazi tanks are in fact the archetype of German engineering.

Just don’t misunderstand what German engineering is.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Phy posted:

If you need other recommendations or questions, feel free to check the excellent MilHist thread.

If you watched The Pacific, at some point read Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors about the battle of Samar, which is all sorts of :eyepop: and :black101:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just remember as you fall down the hole that nazi tanks were actually hilarious trash fires, not marvels of precise german engineering

Was this the thread that had the great effort post about how lovely Nazi uniforms were?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably the milhist thread

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

i bet they still get purple hearts for especially bloody drone strikes

A drone operator gets carpal tunnel syndrome in the line of duty, he gets a Purple Heart.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was the previous iteration of the Milhist thread.

Starts partway down Cessna’s first page of posts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
SPEAKING OF NAZIS, my grandfather was a malgré-nous (alsatian drafted into wehrmacht service) and I have a bunch of his diaries. One of these days I'll translate and post them.

Some standout bits include pissing on his own hands to keep warm and getting penal duty just off the front because he hadn't shaved.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Ever read a novel set in historical times(or at least with characters from historical times) and see some odd terminology used that you have no idea what it means, usually when I see that kind of thing a quick Google search is enough to find what I need to know, today I am defeated, was finishing up a reread of Poul Anderson's classic The High Crusade and three different terms I have never heard of before or could find via Google were in one paragraph, I figure maybe someone here could help me figure it out, these are the troublesome words in question;

Quirling
Vosheny
Golarice

All I know is that they were used in the context of an alien character describing lesser sins that they and their race were susceptible to committing

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Source4Leko posted:

My grandfather was on a support ship that was assigned to close beachhead support for the invasion of Japan. The captain told the crew all to make sure they settled their affairs and wrote home before they were going to sail off to join the invasion fleet. He said none of them expected to survive the first few days.

Kind of like the US forces in Korea plan of hopefully those of us not killed in the first hours of the war can set up stuff enough for follow on forces to utilize.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Ever read a novel set in historical times(or at least with characters from historical times) and see some odd terminology used that you have no idea what it means, usually when I see that kind of thing a quick Google search is enough to find what I need to know, today I am defeated, was finishing up a reread of Poul Anderson's classic The High Crusade and three different terms I have never heard of before or could find via Google were in one paragraph, I figure maybe someone here could help me figure it out, these are the troublesome words in question;

Quirling
Vosheny
Golarice

All I know is that they were used in the context of an alien character describing lesser sins that they and their race were susceptible to committing

If you're near a library check and see if they have access to the Oxford English Dictionary, they maintain I believe the largest historical dictionary of English words

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Quirling
Vosheny
Golarice

They're made-up words.

e: And no-one loving dare burts in Fishmeching with Wikipedias akimbo how all words are made up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I first read “Quirling” as “Quisling” and thought “oh that guy. Norwegian. Turned coat for the Nazis. His name was a byword for ‘traitor’ for decades thereafter.”

Now I see your word has an ‘r’ and not an ‘s’, but I really don’t turn up much for “quirling” besides as an uncommon surname in its own right. Is it possible that it’s a typographical error? Does ‘traitor’ work in context?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:53 on May 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh they’re space aliens.

I tend to agree with the milk supervisor that the author made them up on the spot and they’re supposed to be mysterious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Oh they’re space aliens.

I tend to agree with the milk supervisor that the author made them up on the spot and they’re supposed to be mysterious.

Yeah when dictionary searches and BingTM give you nothing, you do some corpus searches and if the only hit is the text you're reading, it's a decent bet that the author made the words up. It's one of the things I really loving hate about fantasy writers.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Making up your own words is fine in my opinion, as long as you provide enough context! If after an entire book the reader doesn't understand, then the author has failed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://archive.org/details/cataloguedesliv05vallgoog

This is the only text I can find Golarice in. Rendered as Fingolaricé

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah when dictionary searches and BingTM give you nothing, you do some corpus searches and if the only hit is the text you're reading, it's a decent bet that the author made the words up. It's one of the things I really loving hate about fantasy writers.

My dude have you read Gene Wolfe?

Gaius Marius has a new favorite as of 03:08 on May 29, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Carthag Tuek posted:

also i guess chivalry was a thing

Not really. Chivalry was some rules for combat to make sure knights were mostly killing peasants instead of each other, and some rules to say "for the love of God, stop robbing and raping every person you see." Armies at the time would try to raid loot as much as possible and besiege helpless cities, but fighting other armies was a waste of blood and money. Crécy and Agincourt started the same way - a French army finally caught up with an English army that had been raiding their towns and farms, and tried to kill them.

It's a couple hundred years later, but I loved Hey Guns' description of a 17th-century army: "Like a Gathering of the Juggalos, but drunker and less heavily armed."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Juggalos are committed antifa these days, they are very well organized

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A fun historical regional sports fact.

In 1916 WW1 was still raging. And even though we are very far away, Australia still sucks the dick of the British Empire, so we were well involved. Moreso back then. But Melbournians couldn't let a little thing like a world war stop what was important, i.e. the footy season.

But due to rationing, austerity, and the general lack of money, and able bodied young men etc. instead of fielding a full league, in 1916 only 4 teams competed in the VFL, (the Victorian Football League), the state and the countries finest football competition. Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Fitzroy. They still ran a full 12 round season, the teams just played each other over and over again.

Anyway, at the end of the season Fitzroy were last, earning them the wooden spoon. But because it is footy, there still needed to be a finals series. So all 4 teams made the finals. Which Fitzroy won.

Making them both Premiers and Wooden Spooners in the same year. In a season where they finished the regular season winning 2 out of 12 games.

Today the Fitzroy Football Club does not exist at the top level. They merged with Brisbane in 1996.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

My dude have you read Gene Wolfe?

No.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's pretty good. And he just uses archaic and foreign words in his fantasy instead of nonsense words. It works out really well

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chamale posted:

Not really. Chivalry was some rules for combat to make sure knights were mostly killing peasants instead of each other, and some rules to say "for the love of God, stop robbing and raping every person you see." Armies at the time would try to raid loot as much as possible and besiege helpless cities, but fighting other armies was a waste of blood and money. Crécy and Agincourt started the same way - a French army finally caught up with an English army that had been raiding their towns and farms, and tried to kill them.

It's a couple hundred years later, but I loved Hey Guns' description of a 17th-century army: "Like a Gathering of the Juggalos, but drunker and less heavily armed."

yea but bushido was totally real so chivalry was also totally real. makes sense, historically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you might know him as Øjvind Ølv