Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I mean even if you make minimum wage with the climb in prices you now own a six figure asset which had probably doubled in value in recent years making you effectively wealthy.

Them's the breaks of the bubble, poo poo's hosed and you won the lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Segue posted:

I mean even if you make minimum wage with the climb in prices you now own a six figure asset which had probably doubled in value in recent years making you effectively wealthy.

Oh yeah, I'm the first to admit it's just pure luck that I've got this. It's just absurd how many people in this thread seem to think that everyone with a house is a literal capitalist millionaire who deserves swift and violent retrebution. I know some were being facetious, but it's still a very childish outlook on homeownership.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Im afraid that I too am a member of the poorgeoisie

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

:yosnice:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Im afraid that I too am a member of the poorgeoisie

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I’m afraid that I too am a member of the poorgeoisie

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Another Bill posted:

The next 36 months are going to go:

INFLATION => INTEREST RATE HIKES => MORTGAGE FORECLOSURES => REAL ESTATE BUBBLE POP

There's a lot of homeowners who can't handle a 3% rate hike in the monthly budget.

I'm not sure one should extrapolate quite that far based only on year over year inflation numbers measured against maximal Covid devastation. Maybe in a few more months though!

Especially since the mortgage bill is always the very last one people default on. Recessionary signs as homes eat up all the formerly discretionary spending would just lead back to rate cuts.

They're in a bit of a pickle here. Have been since 2009 in America, 2002ish in Europe, 1991 in Japan, and talk is cheap.

Maybe the mass printing continues and ends that, but if wages go up too, well, everyone can afford the higher payments and the asset price doesn't really collapse either.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

while Im incredibly lucky to have purchased before the insanity began and I have a great deal of equity. in the end its only good for taking on debt and nothing else. its not really wealth as I cant do anything with it except make bougie fucks richer and increase risk to myself.

Im in no way saying this to mean it in a poor me as Im floating at the top of the sceptic tank instead of the bottom but were all on the same side of this poo poo equation

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
becoming a class traitor by buying new windows and getting a trudeaubux rebate

DariusLikewise has issued a correction as of 03:10 on May 29, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Im never going to be able to afford a house so instead I bought a sports car because thats way more cool than a down payment on a crack shack thats guaranteed to bankrupt you

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
On my drive home today I was bemused to be following an Oldsmobile and confused at how that was ever a successful brand. I guess people used to be less ashamed of aging back in the day? Anyway, it was going to be the funny story for the day until I slowed while it turned and got passed by a three-wheeled car I didn't know existed:

E: Polaris Slingshot

Sassafras has issued a correction as of 03:20 on May 29, 2021

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Segue posted:

Are people lucky if they were able to buy a house cheaply? Absolutely. Does the increased value of the house make them any wealthier? Not really, no. Selling a house usually means you're buying another one and there really isn't added leverage from the increased value of a house you own if every other house has also increased in price.

Then again this wouldn't be C-SPAM if we recognized the distinction between people paying off one house over 25 years and rent speculators buying multiple houses $100k+ over list with bales of cash

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sassafras posted:

On my drive home today I was bemused to be following an Oldsmobile and confused at how that was ever a successful brand. I guess people used to be less ashamed of aging back in the day? Anyway, it was going to be the funny story for the day until I slowed while it turned and got passed by a three-wheeled car I didn't know existed:

Ah yes, the T-Rex. Or as it is commonly referred to, the Sui-Cycle

The Olds in Oldsmobile is for its founder Ransom E. Olds, the R.E.O. of REO Speedwagon :eng101:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sassafras posted:

E: Polaris Slingshot

we had a lot of those out here in toronto a couple years ago.

they look goofy as hell

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The only person I know in my age bracket who owns a home is my brother who... bought the house from my parents after the moved to a different province. In retrospect, I wish I had adopted his tactic of living in his parent's basement for so long that they gave up and moved out.

But anyway, on that note, something that bothers me about the conversation about home ownership in Canada (besides some of the obvious points) is some of the weird gaslighting poo poo about how the reason we don't have homes is because Canadians are unrealistic about the size of their homes, for example, and how young couples should consider perhaps, a condo, which they would probably also be locked out of. This completely anecdotal but I've seen comments from people around my age complaining that they tried to put down pretty large chunks of money on just basic, tiny-rear end condos made of paper and still got locked out.

And I think the reason some people get bitter is because it's becoming a rarity to own a home, even if you have the means to afford one. As someone who will literally never be in that position, I honestly don't give a poo poo but I can definitely see why some people are sour about it

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

why can't we just all get along despite our differences and guillotine all landlords?

also this

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

infernal machines posted:

we had a lot of those out here in toronto a couple years ago.

they look goofy as hell

There is still a dude who drives around the Annex in one and making eye contact with him is a destabilizing experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cash crab posted:

There is still a dude who drives around the Annex in one and making eye contact with him is a destabilizing experience

does he have a half helmet/brain bucket too?

the guy who parked one in the lot off dundas, next to my house, had one and it was just the perfect boomer energy

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

the guy who parked one in the lot off dundas, next to my house, had one and it was just the perfect boomer energy

IIRC yes. Last time I saw him he was revving his engine in front of the Rexall on College and I was standing there like a jackass with like six grocery bags and he looks at me like :smugdon:

I got the distinct feeling he wasn't actually driving to anything, but just circling the block. Which, you know, fine. Have fun, dude. I also go for stupid little walks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i suppose it might be the same guy because he just sat there in the parking spot revving the engine for like 15 minutes

Segue
May 23, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Are people lucky if they were able to buy a house cheaply? Absolutely. Does the increased value of the house make them any wealthier? Not really, no. Selling a house usually means you're buying another one and there really isn't added leverage from the increased value of a house you own if every other house has also increased in price.

Then again this wouldn't be C-SPAM if we recognized the distinction between people paying off one house over 25 years and rent speculators buying multiple houses $100k+ over list with bales of cash

I'll try to end the derail, but I recognize that house wealth is illusory for the people making mortgage payments, but people without it are still paying rent.

In an emergency in the current insanity homeowners can still sell and rent and literally have a large windfall the rest don't have. Yes no one does this and it's all speculative but it doesn't discount the insane housing wealth homeowners have gained on paper and that it's further impoverished those without.

People get real defensive when it's pointed out they're not as prole as they feel they are.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Complaining that people think you have it too good when you have a house and they do not only makes the have-nots want to guillotine you more fyi.

Seriously read the room and gently caress off, you have a house and we do not. The gov't is always coming up with ways to give you money for having a house, I never see a cent. I worked my rear end off all year, it was terrible, now I get to find out my taxes go to loving homeowners to do renos while I lost 2/3rds of my possessions and had to move back home. All while "essential", gently caress off.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

There's one in town that's driven by the angriest bicycle hating boomer anyone has ever seen. He also hates construction workers, pedestrians, and anything else that gets in the way of his toy.

Next time he tailgates me honking his horn and then cursing at me at a stoplight I might just throw my bike at him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's gotta be like a uniform or something

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Virtual Russian posted:

Complaining that people think you have it too good when you have a house and they do not only makes the have-nots want to guillotine you more fyi.

Seriously read the room and gently caress off, you have a house and we do not. The gov't is always coming up with ways to give you money for having a house, I never see a cent. I worked my rear end off all year, it was terrible, now I get to find out my taxes go to loving homeowners to do renos while I lost 2/3rds of my possessions and had to move back home. All while "essential", gently caress off.

Settle down Beavis

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

"If you have even a penny more than me, you're akin to the royals of old and your blood will run during the revolution" - C-SPAM posters

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh please, I would hope you'd have enough awareness to see that those nearer the bottom rungs of society have been ground to absolute paste this last year while the government steps in to protect homeowners. If ever there was a time to not to try to pretend being "house poor" is the same as being regular poor it is now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Anyone who owns a home is clearly some aristocrat in need of the stockades. What's a mortgage

I like being mad at ordinary people instead of, you know, anyone actually responsible for anything

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Lol I work minimum wage and am a "homeowner".

I guess I'll be both in the riots putting the upper class through the guillotine, and getting guillotined at the same time.

Now tell me how to get this $5k so I can install a bay window to give my indoor cats a better view of the neighbourhood, and me a better angle to throw rotting fruit at the poors.

the reason housing is so unaffordable is because of government policies that prop up housing prices. The two of you are not specifically contributing to the problem, but home owners as a political class of people absolutely are creating problems

the only way to solve the housing crisis is to gently caress over home owners and destroy all their value.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Russian posted:

the government doesn't just give home owners free money directly. they control the fiscal policy and interest rates that lead to massive increases in house price year over year

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

keep in mind homeowners include 500sq ft condos and stacked townhouses I.e. apartments

I bought one of these a few years ago. the family who sold it to me climbed the property ladder into a detached house, and is now foreclosing because of job losses due to Covid

a cautionary tale

housing in this country is insanely hosed and Covid had turbofucked it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

a primate posted:

keep in mind homeowners include 500sq ft condos and stacked townhouses I.e. apartments

I bought one of these a few years ago. the family who sold it to me climbed the property ladder into a detached house, and is now foreclosing because of job losses due to Covid

a cautionary tale

housing in this country is insanely hosed and Covid had turbofucked it

Haha got em :twisted: These are the parties being held to account- this is what we want and will definitely fix the system, right? :downs:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cash crab posted:

The only person I know in my age bracket who owns a home is my brother who... bought the house from my parents after the moved to a different province. In retrospect, I wish I had adopted his tactic of living in his parent's basement for so long that they gave up and moved out.

But anyway, on that note, something that bothers me about the conversation about home ownership in Canada (besides some of the obvious points) is some of the weird gaslighting poo poo about how the reason we don't have homes is because Canadians are unrealistic about the size of their homes, for example, and how young couples should consider perhaps, a condo, which they would probably also be locked out of. This completely anecdotal but I've seen comments from people around my age complaining that they tried to put down pretty large chunks of money on just basic, tiny-rear end condos made of paper and still got locked out.

And I think the reason some people get bitter is because it's becoming a rarity to own a home, even if you have the means to afford one. As someone who will literally never be in that position, I honestly don't give a poo poo but I can definitely see why some people are sour about it
also this

I've posted about this before at greater length, but the most important class divide these days is in homeownership and the intergenerational wealth transfer that home ownership facilitates. If you stand to inherit real estate wealth, you belong to a fundamentally different class than if you don't. It isn't just that someday your parents will die or downsize and you get their home, it's that having indirect access to their real estate capital earlier in life lets you do things like buy your own home with them as a co-signer, using wealth to reproduce wealth, in a way that people without that access to real estate capital cannot. And the way the market is going right now those two classes are becoming ever more stratified from each other. The only people who can afford to buy homes and start accumulating this capital are people who already have access to it, and as house prices and rents rise faster than incomes it means people without access to that capital get further away from access the more time passes.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Instead of abolishing landlords every homeowner will be required to take on one boarder free of charge. Housing crisis solved with a nation of Odd Couples and the folks making obscene loving amounts of money are unharmed

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Instead of abolishing landlords every homeowner will be required to take on one boarder free of charge. Housing crisis solved with a nation of Odd Couples and the folks making obscene loving amounts of money are unharmed

forcing landlords to give free rent is the same as abolishing them. without all those renters paying off the parasitic landlords mortgages they could not be landlords

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

what if airbnb, but it were for independent old people

was that a fever dream or did someone actually try that

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
homeowner = landlord :shuckyes:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Things should be the same as they are now, but there should be a federal registry for how you are feeling about renting, and there should be an app where you tap on a happy face if you are glad about your renting situation, and if you pay for the sad face DLC you can also tap on a sad face, which will summon the police to your house to arrest you

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
if you are mad about homeowners getting money wait until you hear how much money im supposed to get this month for having kids

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Things should be the same as they are now, but there should be a federal registry for how you are feeling about renting, and there should be an app where you tap on a happy face if you are glad about your renting situation, and if you pay for the sad face DLC you can also tap on a sad face, which will summon the police to your house to arrest you

this but for renting

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

left needs to stop making enemies and start making friends IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
It's very iomportant to have somebody to talk to about your feelings, whether they are happy or other