Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

He had a co-morbidity, look at those chubby cherub cheeks. Fatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

Good.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: The fishing thing was a local anecdote up at a lake in Appling, GA. It's just so dumb though. Every time there was anything going on locally these maskless talking heads encouraged everybody to go to it.

Maddening, but not surprising. Georgia's poo poo-tastic approach to everything about the pandemic has been, just, aggressively bad.

I'm glad I'm in Athens. It's an island of still-masked, socially distanced, largely vaccinated blue in a sea of red.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Castaign posted:

Maddening, but not surprising. Georgia's poo poo-tastic approach to everything about the pandemic has been, just, aggressively bad.

I'm glad I'm in Athens. It's an island of still-masked, socially distanced, largely vaccinated blue in a sea of red.

Yeah, y'all seem to be doing better than we are. I've been up a couple of times in the past year to deliver some sheep to farms (always masked, socially distanced, etc). Augusta area is just a clusterfuck and Kemp doesn't help.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Platystemon posted:

Even if everyone age sixteen and up had gotten the Pfizer vaccine the first day it was “open season”, they still wouldn’t be fully vaccinated by the time CDC precipitated the mad dash to masklessness.

If they had gotten the Moderna vaccine, they wouldn’t have even had their second shot. If they had the J&J vaccine, they’d be fully vaccinated on paper, but only because no one respects the chart.

drat that vaccine is mfing HUNG

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

That Hbomberguy episode is real good. I had no idea the amount of poo poo rear end stupidity is based on 8 parents and 1 “doctor” assuming its from a vaccine.

Plus the whole thing was literally a scam FROM THE START lol. Many of the parents didn't even say that and it was all a scheme to make money and get attention. Which worked depressingly well

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Purgatory Glory posted:

He had a co-morbidity, look at those chubby cherub cheeks. Fatty.

So you're saying he died *with* COVID, not *of* COVID? :colbert:

So sorry

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Galewolf posted:

Some of my fave Covid lol memories in no particular order of happening:

-Joe Rogan finally going full mask-off chudlord and gathering all 80's movie villian looking mo-fos in his Texas prepper shelter.

Uggggh Joe Rogan

I listened to him for years before the pandemic, he was a likeable blockhead who interviewed interesting people along with his dumbass friends, somewhat harmless entertainment imo, you learned a thing or two (along with moon conspiracies haha we don’t believe in those but what if, right haha)

He randomly invited Alt right characters but he himself seemed neutral, he would invite some leftist activist the next episode to balance it out, stuff like that. Some alt right characters dug their own grave during his show just by talking (Milo something? Remember that guy)

When the pandemic started, Joe was all scared and freaked out and invited Peter Hotez to talk about vaccines and seemed pretty reasonable about taking it seriously

I stopped listening around the beginning of the pandemic, just because of general anxiety, but I was like “oh, Joe will do ok, he might help”

Then he got his 100 million payout from Spotify and it was masks off, moved out of commie liberal LA to Texas and first episode was Alex Jones, who had been previously invited
(as they’re “friends”, but also just to test what they would get away with under Spotify )

Invited dumbasses like Alex Berenson and gave them a huge platform to say covid wasn’t real and the plandemic and so on

It was quite a shock to go back to listening to Joe in the peak of the pandemic going on about “pshhh just buy my supplements and work out a little this poo poo is the flu masks r dum I’m strong boy etc”

Bill loving Burr was so much more reasonable and called him out on it and that interview revealed so much about Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG5JjUQHVIE

I just can’t listen to him anymore

I’ve had personal friends betray me and that hurt less than finding out Rogan was a loving selfish idiot after all those years of seeing him as a decent guy

Couldn’t wear a loving piece of cloth on his face for a while, what a loving macho man

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ran across this article from 2001, about ACT UP San Francisco. The group had gotten taken over by AIDS-deniers, folks who claimed that HIV was harmless and that you couldn't get AIDS if you ate "whole" foods and poo poo. Almost all of them were HIV-positive. It's a depressing read, but is an interesting insight into how little things have changed.

The AIDS Deniers

quote:

As if 18.8 million deaths worldwide weren't bad enough, there now emerges an ACT UP group that argues that HIV is harmless, that AIDS is a myth and that unprotected sex is everyone's birthright.

[...]

Curious where the AIDS deniers have risen: in San Francisco, on a weary corner of Market Street, between a convenience store and the New Leaf substance-abuse center. Curious not because you can stand outside New Leaf and smell the reefer next door—the AIDS deniers run a medical-marijuana club out of their office—but because the building is located, like a grim joke, on the edge of the Castro district.

The AIDS deniers have a potluck once a month. Right there in the ACT UP office. There is no joy in the meal, in the bowls of cereal, the cream-free, crime-free vegan curry, but joy is not the point. The point is there on the wall, on the poster that reads HIV: ANTI-GAY, ANTI-SEX SCAM. It's in the videotape they will show after everyone has finished eating, the one labeled AID$ IS A LIE! They've all seen some version of that video a hundred times, but they'll watch it again. That's why they come: to bolster their convictions and banish their doubts. They come to find ways to refute the official story—that infections are up again, that the epidemic is far from over.

[...]

Now the members of ACT UP San Francisco have turned against the cause that for so long sustained them. These days they attack not the indifference of political leaders but the activism of their former comrades. They target anyone in what they consider "the AIDS orthodoxy": people who raise money for the disease, raise awareness, provide services, do research. The people, as they see it, who tell them they are sick.

And while they do not believe in the virus, they believe in extreme measures for those who do. Gone is the fake blood of older, paler protests. In its place: cat poo poo. Yes, the men and women in this room have performed unspeakable acts, thrown unspeakable things upon the heads of their enemies. By the time you read this, some of them may already be in jail.

Take Pasquarelli and Bellefountaine, who are infamous for spitting in the faces of their enemies—the saliva delivered with passion, as a pox and a taunt. You think I got HIV? You think you can get it from me? Try this. They are immune to sentiment. The AIDS quilt, that quiet spreadsheet of lost lives? Bellefountaine calls it "a death tarp," agitprop for "HIV hysteria."

There's a lot more. And the most depressing part is that you can google every single one of these people and find their obituaries. Every one of them died of AIDS.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

LanceHunter posted:

Ran across this article from 2001, about ACT UP San Francisco. The group had gotten taken over by AIDS-deniers, folks who claimed that HIV was harmless and that you couldn't get AIDS if you ate "whole" foods and poo poo. Almost all of them were HIV-positive. It's a depressing read, but is an interesting insight into how little things have changed.

The AIDS Deniers
There's a lot more. And the most depressing part is that you can google every single one of these people and find their obituaries. Every one of them died of AIDS.

JFC. I don't even have any words.

And it's a goddamn shame that the assholes in that article apparently did have plenty of words. Plenty of stupid, harmful, deceptive words.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

:tif:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LanceHunter posted:

the most depressing part is that you can google every single one of these people and find their obituaries. Every one of them died of AIDS.

It would be more depressing if they were still assaulting their enemies with HIV-positive spit.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
The vaccination numbers are not high enough to force herd immunity with the variant transmisability. Israel numbers may be enough, definitely worth watching to see if 60% of all pop is the magic number. If the variant seeds in US this will happen there as well, unless the number of second vacs being higher makes the difference.

A mathmetician modelled some figures, and thinks that 1 dose after 4 weeks reduces hospitalisation by about 85% and almost 95% with two based on whos being hospitalised now. But its is so spreadable that without NPIs such as stay at home orders and instructed and lockdown initialized for the months needed to get that vac number higher, its going to get a large number of unvacced and some vacced that will create a third wave. Probably less than the 2nd, but its most likely coming now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The seasons are driving the waves as much as anything we do. We should take that into account, but we’re not going to. We may find that vaccination uptake that is “enough” in the summer is not enough for the winter.

“No one could have seen this coming”, they’ll say.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I got a vaccine and a week later some dipshit at work came in sick and didn't tell anyone and now I'm sitting at home with covid and not getting paid.

You ever clonk your head real good and you get a weird kinda metallic taste in your mouth for a minute? I got that all the time now, I wonder if I have brain damage. When I take a shower it feels like I have water in my sinuses which is a little unnerving. Like a vague sense of drowning the entire time.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

The seasons are driving the waves as much as anything we do. We should take that into account, but we’re not going to. We may find that vaccination uptake that is “enough” in the summer is not enough for the winter.

“No one could have seen this coming”, they’ll say.

Yeah, I almost think that peak summer in the US might have very little in the way of cases with some locations dropping down to no detected cases for a while even. Vaccination + Natural Immunity + Summer is probably enough to keep transmission down quite a bit. It's gonna be interesting/scary to see how quickly it comes roaring back in like October. It will also be interesting to see if mandated NPIs return anywhere in the US if there is a new surge in cases next winter. A really big factor will probably be how well the natural immunity to the wild type fares against the variants out there. I've heard not good, but I've yet to read any studies specifically about that.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Sorry goons, sexy nurse Halloween parties are way more dangerous for a number of reasons this year

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It’s been two weeks since I got my second jab, and now I am at full vax power.

Going to try to get an actual haircut this weekend. Still not sure about eating inside (or outside for that matter) a restaurant still.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I got fully vaccinated back in April, and went out to eat a couple times and have had people over and been over to people's houses, and now I've had a sore throat for a few days and a slight fever today, and I have to wait until next loving week to find out if I have Covid or not because the stupid doctor's office didn't have rapid tests. I really should have just gone to Walgreen's. I was feeling pretty good about being in post-pandemic life now, but all it took was a minor illness I would have normally just chalked up as a sinus infection to leave me paranoid and quarantined again. Everyone I was going to see this weekend is vaccinated anyway, but I still don't think I can justify hanging out until I know, at least until symptoms go away.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I got fully vaccinated back in April, and went out to eat a couple times and have had people over and been over to people's houses, and now I've had a sore throat for a few days and a slight fever today, and I have to wait until next loving week to find out if I have Covid or not because the stupid doctor's office didn't have rapid tests. I really should have just gone to Walgreen's. I was feeling pretty good about being in post-pandemic life now, but all it took was a minor illness I would have normally just chalked up as a sinus infection to leave me paranoid and quarantined again. Everyone I was going to see this weekend is vaccinated anyway, but I still don't think I can justify hanging out until I know, at least until symptoms go away.

seems reasonable

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Platystemon posted:

The seasons are driving the waves as much as anything we do.

I don't think this is supported by the fact that rates broken down by age group dropped concurrent with vaccination rates going up per group

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sinteres posted:

Everyone I was going to see this weekend is vaccinated anyway, but I still don't think I can justify hanging out until I know, at least until symptoms go away.

You're doing the right thing

:):respek::barf:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Sinteres posted:

I was feeling pretty good about being in post-pandemic life now, but all it took was a minor illness I would have normally just chalked up as a sinus infection to leave me paranoid and quarantined again. Everyone I was going to see this weekend is vaccinated anyway, but I still don't think I can justify hanging out until I know, at least until symptoms go away.

A family member I live with has had a moderate-severe cough for two days. While we wait for the test results:
  • the kids have stayed home from school and dance
  • I've shifted to working from home
  • we're all self-isolating
We're doing this despite being vaccinated (those who are eligible right now). Because it's not time to be cavalier yet.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Yeah it's definitely a good idea to avoid people until you can at least get tested. If it is covid it sounds very mild, so you can probably thank the vaccine for that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thank you both.

It sounds cheesy on a comedy forum, but you’re doing the right thing even as others around you do not.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Seems I might be able to get the vaccine next month!!! :kingsley::siren:holyshitthankgod:siren::kingsley:

I'll let you know if my stupid immune system decides to knock me out.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

The Fattest PI posted:

I got a vaccine and a week later some dipshit at work came in sick and didn't tell anyone and now I'm sitting at home with covid and not getting paid.

You ever clonk your head real good and you get a weird kinda metallic taste in your mouth for a minute? I got that all the time now, I wonder if I have brain damage. When I take a shower it feels like I have water in my sinuses which is a little unnerving. Like a vague sense of drowning the entire time.

Oh you must be furious

Big hug I hope you're okay keep us posted

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Desperado Bones posted:

Seems I might be able to get the vaccine next month!!! :kingsley::siren:holyshitthankgod:siren::kingsley:

I'll let you know if my stupid immune system decides to knock me out.

Hopefully not too badly! Mine was bad enough I convinced my husband he had to get his dose on a Friday so he wouldn't be suffering at work if his symptoms were anywhere close to mine, but he only felt a bit more tired than normal. Lucky jerk.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Picnic Princess posted:

Hopefully not too badly! Mine was bad enough I convinced my husband he had to get his dose on a Friday so he wouldn't be suffering at work if his symptoms were anywhere close to mine, but he only felt a bit more tired than normal. Lucky jerk.

Yeah, no one in my family got it bad. At much one of my sisters slept for a whole day and that was it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
mine knocked me flat 18 hours in, but it went away quickly and i was fine. it helped to eat before i got too tired to make food, and move my arm around.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had my second AZ jab yesterday :D

Had blinding migraine after the first jab, second seems to be a slightly sore arm which checks out with what other people say.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

At some point over the next few days i think Boris might regret his decision to ignore his own scientific advisors who warned him not to proceed to stage 3 of the covid roadmap yet as we didn't meet the requirements of the fourth test and could experience a third wave if he did.

(He won't, like all his past fuckups and we're already starting to see the blame being shifted onto the public for not enough people being vaccinated in some hotspots, despite the fact their uptake is the same as the nautical average.)

Still, good job the deputy chief medical officer told us we all need to be vigilant. Hopefully everyone will be keeping an eye out for the virus and avoiding it from now on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The telegraph front page today is loving shocking. It’s all about how a group of concerned doctors, parents, and celebrities have written a letter asking Boris not to allow kids to be vaccinated because they feel it’s too dangerous and you might as well just play hbomberguy’s video about the MMR jab right now.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

learnincurve posted:

The telegraph front page today is loving shocking. It’s all about how a group of concerned doctors, parents, and celebrities have written a letter asking Boris not to allow kids to be vaccinated because they feel it’s too dangerous and you might as well just play hbomberguy’s video about the MMR jab right now.

Here's the front page of Australia's only non-Murdoch metropolitan tabloid today:

https://twitter.com/westaustralian/status/1398274060501532678

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a quick video about the lockdown protest in Melbourne today, it's the usual fuckwits and conspiracy loons. Special mention goes to the middleaged white women who are ADAMANT they're good people and paragons of virtue but then immediately start acting like massively entitled assholes. Make sure you watch until the end where the state health minister lays a sick burn on them. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alt_Bva8tIU

Looks like there were only about 100 of them and they were WAY outnumbered by the cops and almost none of them made it into Flagstaff Gardens where the rally was supposed to happen. Some of them gathered a little ways off and tried to hold a march through the streets but only got a few blocks away to Victoria St North Melbourne where they were pepper sprayed and loaded into divvy vans

I didn't spot any Star of David badges but there was this one woman with a suuuuuuuper :smug: protest sign:

I also spotted a MAGA dude at last night's pre-lockdown protest at Flinders St:

freebooter posted:

Here's the front page of Australia's only non-Murdoch metropolitan tabloid today:

https://twitter.com/westaustralian/status/1398274060501532678

Ahhhh gently caress :doh:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
lol at the red cap that retard is wearing, jfc

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well that's not ideal

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1398556003810086914

Details are sparse but "it is an Indian variant with mutations that originally belong to the UK variant"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

:getin:

That's the super lovely pepper foam too that sticks to you like napalm. If you try to get it off you just spread it all over your face lol.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/556020-florida-rock-concert-tickets-are-18-if-youre-vaccinated-1000-if

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

mr_jolly posted:

(He won't, like all his past fuckups and we're already starting to see the blame being shifted onto the public for not enough people being vaccinated in some hotspots, despite the fact their uptake is the same as the nautical average.)

What's that in land-lubber averages? :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well that's not ideal

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1398556003810086914

Details are sparse but "it is an Indian variant with mutations that originally belong to the UK variant"
It's bad for countries that have not vaccinated that much yet more than anything else