Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Idaho is a solidly Republican, R+33 state without a statewide mask mandate, but local mandates are allowed.

The current governor (he) flew down to the Republican Governors Association meeting in Tennessee. By Idaho law, the Lieutenant Governor (she) gets full power of the governor's office until he gets back.

Well, she's Trumpy as gently caress and is running to primary the current governor. So, while he's gone, she decides to make an executive order banning all non-hospital local mask mandates, then posts a fundraising message about it. The state goes all :confused:, decides to wait it out a few days, and he gets back and immediately reverses the mandate ban.

https://twitter.com/HayatNorimine/status/1398323639070519297?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

facialimpediment posted:

The current governor (he) flew down to the Republican Governors Association meeting in Tennessee. By Idaho law, the Lieutenant Governor (she) gets full power of the governor's office until he gets back.

loving :lol: what? Is there some practical reason for this, or is this some kind of holdover from the days before telephones when a governor needed to be physically sitting on the Potato Throne in Boise in order to govern?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wingnut Ninja posted:

loving :lol: what? Is there some practical reason for this, or is this some kind of holdover from the days before telephones when a governor needed to be physically sitting on the Potato Throne in Boise in order to govern?

Gotta be the latter, unless its fears of assassination

I hear potato guns are pretty deadly

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Here comes some jail time and chain of command shakeup.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Idaho is a solidly Republican, R+33 state without a statewide mask mandate, but local mandates are allowed.

Well, she's Trumpy as gently caress and is running to primary the current governor. So, while he's gone, she decides to make an executive order banning all non-hospital local mask mandates, then posts a fundraising message about it. The state goes all :confused:, decides to wait it out a few days, and he gets back and immediately reverses the mandate ban.

https://twitter.com/HayatNorimine/status/1398323639070519297?s=19

Texas banned all mask mandates right?

I know my friend down there (pediatric ID doc) was furious about it because the kids have like 2 more weeks in school and in Houston the latest india covid variant is already circulating.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Texas banned all mask mandates right?

I know my friend down there (pediatric ID doc) was furious about it because the kids have like 2 more weeks in school and in Houston the latest india covid variant is already circulating.

Yep, minimal exceptions!

The city of Austin wants to do way more than what the state wants, which is to own the libs. So most of what the governor/legislature does is performative lib-owning to restrict the local governments from doing anything.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

You should look into the history of Idaho. Boise kind of stole being the capitol from another city and a bunch of other weird stuff happened back when it was just a bunch of drunk prospectors and fur traders.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Sequels usually have a high probability of sucking.

https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1398310336965513221?s=19

https://gcaptain.com/maersk-emerald-briefly-grounds-in-suez-canal-triggering-flashbacks-of-ever-given/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ahahahaha

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Ships run aground in the canal all the time. They had two tankers go up in the days after the Ever Given was freed.

It’s gonna be fine. Canal only gets blocked once every ten years or so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Can’t believe I agree with an R+33 governor that a particular act is an “irresponsible, self-serving political stunt”.

A Bad Poster posted:

You should look into the history of Idaho. Boise kind of stole being the capitol from another city and a bunch of other weird stuff happened back when it was just a bunch of drunk prospectors and fur traders.

Also, look up what Idaho means. If you get “gem of the mountains”, keep digging.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Now I’m surprised it may actually be a dummy practice bomb. I figured they would have gone without the fuse for dropping them in sand to potentially reuse them.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/RepDanCrenshaw/status/1398362620974014464?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ok enough with the Sherman worship it's time to go Benjamin Butler on some asses

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

"Bombard his whistleblower site with tips about the time Crenshaw engaged in a smear campaign against someone who tried to whistleblow about sexual assault at the VA as can be found at this link: https://www.newsweek.com/rep-dan-crenshaw-linked-smear-campaign-female-vet-led-va-secretary-watchdog-says-1553928" is probably not something I can encourage as a mod.

So, as a mod, I am not encouraging anyone to do the above.

Let me be on the record as saying that I am not encouraging anyone to go to the website of Congressman Dan Crenshaw (R-TX-2) and bombard his whistleblower page with tips stating that Crenshaw himself was involved in a smear campaign designed to quiet and intimidate a veteran who suffered a sexual assault at the VA.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

"Bombard his whistleblower site with tips about the time Crenshaw engaged in a smear campaign against someone who tried to whistleblow about sexual assault at the VA as can be found at this link: https://www.newsweek.com/rep-dan-crenshaw-linked-smear-campaign-female-vet-led-va-secretary-watchdog-says-1553928" is probably not something I can encourage as a mod.

Let me be on the record as saying that I am not encouraging anyone to go to the website of Congressman Dan Crenshaw (R-TX-2) and bombard his whistleblower page with tips stating that Crenshaw himself was involved in a smear campaign designed to quiet and intimidate a veteran who suffered a sexual assault at the VA.

You stripped my IK powers so I have no compunction in recommending people do exactly what he's telling you not to.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You stripped my IK powers so I have no compunction in recommending people do exactly what he's telling you not to.

And I certainly can't stop you from doing so!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Sure would be a shame if that site was flooded with a bunch of goatse ascii art too. The depths of people's depravity know no bounds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So that article about Chernobyl Neutron counts increasing? It was expected: Its due to the decrease in rainwater:

https://twitter.com/ThatRadGuy5/status/1398425516068196352?s=20

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Chernobyl neutron counts increasing? Sounds like a job for

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

McNally posted:

I was already planning on just filling it up with the plots to Apocalypse Now, the Dirty Dozen and Platoon but this also works

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I was already planning on just filling it up with the plots to Apocalypse Now, the Dirty Dozen and Platoon but this also works

Don't forget 3 Kings, and the A Team

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Skip 95% of A-Team movie and concentrate on the part where they fly a tank through inertia.

Fake edit: Also ignore this scene until 1:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g4gKq5aJJs

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing about the OG A Team was "Framed for a Crime They Didn't Commit".

Except they did. They robbed the Bank of Hanoi under verbal orders. Like, you guys are kinda burying the lede here with your back story, guys.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just blast Larry the Cable Guy movies scripts at Crenshaw. I imagine it's been a while since he sat down for Delta Farce or that Health Inspector movie.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Not sure if this is right the place or the resources thread to post this since it is limited time, but Ancestry and Fold3 are offering free military records searches until Monday.

https://go.fold3.com/freeaccess?xid=2690

I found my grand fathers WW2 registration card which was pretty neat. Godamn we were both 20 when we joined :eyepop:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Iain posted:

Not sure if this is right the place or the resources thread to post this since it is limited time, but Ancestry and Fold3 are offering free military records searches until Monday.

I found my grand fathers WW2 registration card which was pretty neat. Godamn we were both 20 when we joined :eyepop:

Thanks for this.
I got to see my great grandfather's draft card, so that was neat.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Iain posted:

Found a bunch of people with my somewhat rare last name. That's cool.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

McNally posted:

And I certainly can't stop you from doing so!

I will definitely not write a script to automate this later this week and post it here

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I will definitely not write a script to automate this later this week and post it here

Oh, definitely don't.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh no

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Poll finds CDC just as clueless and counterproductive as you thought.

quote:

The CDC said at the time that it was merely following the science for masking. The agency and its director, Rochelle Walensky, highlighted fresh, real-world studies demonstrating COVID-19 vaccines’ high efficacy and ability to lower transmission risks. But the update was also part of an overt effort to encourage vaccination among the vaccine hesitant by emphasizing the perks of being vaccinated—like not needing to wear masks anymore and reclaiming other bits of normal life.

The mask update immediately generated confusion and controversy given the reversal and its abruptness. And according to fresh polling data, the guidance failed spectacularly at convincing unvaccinated people to get vaccinated.

In new results from the Kaiser Family Foundation’s ongoing COVID-19 vaccine monitoring poll, 85 percent of unvaccinated people said the CDC’s loosened mask guidance for fully vaccinated people made “no difference” to their vaccination plans. Only 10 percent said the change made them “more likely” to get vaccinated and a final 4 percent or so said the change made them “less likely” to get a shot.
It gets worse. The poll broke unvaccinated people into three groups: people who said they would “definitely not” get vaccinated, people who would get vaccinated “only if required,” or people who would “wait and see.” Those most resistant to getting vaccinated were the least likely to be swayed by the CDC’s latest guidance. Among the “definitely not” group, 98 percent said the change made no difference to them and the remaining 2 percent said they were less likely to get vaccinated—zero percent said they were more likely to get a vaccine. For the “only if required” group, 89 percent said the CDC change made no difference.

Overall in the poll—which collects data on a nationally representative sampling of adults—62 percent said they had already gotten their vaccine (which tracks with CDC vaccination data), 12 percent said they would wait and see about vaccination, 7 percent said they would only get vaccinated if they were required, and 13 percent said they would “definitely not” get vaccinated. That “definitely not” portion has largely remained the same throughout the polling, which stretches back to December.

While the CDC’s loosened masking guidance was clearly not persuasive to the unvaccinated, the poll explored other tactics that could boost vaccination. The two ideas that seemed to have the most sway were: 1) if the Food and Drug Administration grants a vaccine full approval, rather than the current Emergency Use Authorizations (EUA); and 2) if employers provided paid time off to get vaccinated and recover from any side effects, like feeling under the weather the day after a dose.

Pressure from Biden? Cluelessness? Still trying to rebuild competency after Trump? Who knows, but it's still going to be a long road to a functional federal government!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Pressure from Biden? Cluelessness? Still trying to rebuild competency after Trump? Who knows, but it's still going to be a long road to a functional federal government!

I say we rename the place to “Office of Malaria Control in War Areas” till they can figure out what the hell is going on in this century.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Poll finds CDC just as clueless and counterproductive as you thought.

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1398697558478757890?s=19

https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/1398502839048093696?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 29, 2021

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Iain posted:

I know literally nothing about my grandfather's time in WW2 (as he unsurprisingly never talked about it) other than he was a machine gunner in Europe.

what the

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Didn't have this development on my bingo board!

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1398730607337771008?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Basticle posted:

I know literally nothing about my grandfather's time in WW2 (as he unsurprisingly never talked about it) other than he was a machine gunner in Europe.

what the

Sounds he was a paratrooper for a hot second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bennett is a major figure in the ultranationalist Israeli right and Lapid is a figurehead of the dwindling Israeli left. I think just about everyone in Israel is sick of Bibi and just wants to kick his rear end out after 12 years in power. Then Bennett’s coalition will turn their knives on Lapid and push ahead with implementing their settler colonialist project in the West Bank.