Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

The oil depletion might be too fast, if my math is right even a bountiful ocean or jungle world only has 5 million oil before things really fall off. You kinda have to reserve it all for plastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
lol if everyone just runs infinite resource clusters until they tweak the depletion rate because infinite science isn't infinite on acceptable human player timescales anymore

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Nobody has yet mentioned that there is now a free placement as opposed to snap to grid placement so we can create true abomination factories.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blorange posted:

The oil depletion might be too fast, if my math is right even a bountiful ocean or jungle world only has 5 million oil before things really fall off. You kinda have to reserve it all for plastics.

American mid-east adventurism starting to make more sense...

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I suppose that perspective comes from the smart tanks mod which just dumps all the excess oil and hydrogen production into the nearest superfund site.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
First experiment: it appears that with an oil extractor running full speed the flow decreases 0.001/s roughly every 20 seconds. If that’s linear, the flow will get reduced by 1/s in about 5.5 hours.

The seeps I’ve seen on this planet seem to be in the 2.5/s to 3.5/s range.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

First experiment: it appears that with an oil extractor running full speed the flow decreases 0.001/s roughly every 20 seconds. If that’s linear, the flow will get reduced by 1/s in about 5.5 hours.

The seeps I’ve seen on this planet seem to be in the 2.5/s to 3.5/s range.

On your starter? Did you up your resource multiplier?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Setting resources to unlimited just set each node to 11 billion or some such. How does it interact with the new oil wells?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

zoux posted:

It’s mostly that it triggers tutorial messages constantly.

SettingSun posted:

Does it? I get each relevant tutorial once and then nothing for the rest of the game.

Earlier in this thread, I think we found out that if you let the tutorial messages play all the way through, they count as having been listened to and won't play again for the rest of the save. So the players that like the narrator only hear it once, and the ones annoyed by it have them keep popping up forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Manyorcas posted:

Earlier in this thread, I think we found out that if you let the tutorial messages play all the way through, they count as having been listened to and won't play again for the rest of the save. So the players that like the narrator only hear it once, and the ones annoyed by it have them keep popping up forever.

Well, that sounds like the worst of all possible worlds lol.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

zoux posted:

On your starter? Did you up your resource multiplier?
Yes, and all settings are default.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes, and all settings are default.

Well, that's a significant increase, I don't know that I've seen one much higher than 2.25 on the starter. Can you go to map view and say how much oil total the planet has? Starters at 1x resource typically have between 35-40 yield/s

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
50.21/s total.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pyre File posted:

Yeah, not sure how I feel about this change: oil was basically infinite in Factorio because the map was infinite. You could always find more oil spots to tap.

Here, though, the cluster is finite, which means there's kind of a limit to how much you can exploit oil. This also makes it somewhat easier to screw yourself before warpers if you take too long using it for power on your home planet before then.

It's still infinite, it just slows down to 0.1/s

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So exactly like factorio?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

And also like Factorio you do get infinite production upgrades too so...not terribly worried about it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I don't know when they changed it, but the game is literally unplayable for me due to the menu select sound literally giving me a headache due to the grating high pitched effect. It's like nails on a chalkboard or something... ugh. All the other sounds are fine; it's just this one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Blorange posted:

I don’t exactly go fast, or super efficient, but in my game today I made it to the point where almost all the yellow science tier (including the warper tech) is done, I’m starting to hand crank a few towers and logistics vessels and just started auto importing titanium and silicon.

I’ve tapped three seeps but only checked the original one. When the game started it was pumping 3.2/s and when I quit it was a few hundredths under 2. My system's ice planet doesn’t have any fire ice, either, so the … mesh stuff (graphene?) is all made from petroleum products so far.

I think there’ll be plenty of time.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
My only two gripes with the update so far are:

1. Not being able to access logistics stations from the planet view is annoying.
2. You can press TAB to switch between grid snapping & free-form mode when laying conveyor belts, but you can also press TAB to switch outputs from a logistics station or any other building so the shortcuts conflict with each other when you lay down a belt directly out from a logistics station.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Just bought this and have barely got off my first planet. So far been having fun just chilling and building up my planet. Got all the red science down and need to gp planet hooping fpr titanium.

Quick question is there any way to mark a location so I can find it easier later? I keep getting disoriented and having trouble finding my basic parts base.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ambaire posted:

I don't know when they changed it, but the game is literally unplayable for me due to the menu select sound literally giving me a headache due to the grating high pitched effect. It's like nails on a chalkboard or something... ugh. All the other sounds are fine; it's just this one.

it's not an ideal solution but if it's literally unplayable then just turn the sound off? it's what i do around ray collectors which drive me insane in the same way. it's not like sound is in any way necessary to play the game. chuck some music on or something

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah not being able to view my stations from global view is incredibly annoying, now its hard to keep track of what I have and am importing/exporting.

the moose posted:

Quick question is there any way to mark a location so I can find it easier later? I keep getting disoriented and having trouble finding my basic parts base.

lol same, I get so lost on my home planet I literally spend several minutes trying to find something.

I finished all my purple science and now I'm working on getting warping to try and import silicon from a nearby solar system. I completely skipped the dyson swarm and might go straight to sphere??? But man getting those particle colliders to strange matter is no joke. Made me realize how poorly I'm handling my gas, too.

A question I had is how do I do warping on interstellar drones? Do i just feed some in to the station and set required warping? Kind of excited to see what's on another solar system and hope I bring enough stuff so I don't get stranded.

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah not being able to view my stations from global view is incredibly annoying, now its hard to keep track of what I have and am importing/exporting.

I really don't think they should have fixed this bug before implementing a Logi Network Menu Panel and Personal Logistics Requesting. This just makes the game slightly more tedious to play now for no good reason.

quote:

lol same, I get so lost on my home planet I literally spend several minutes trying to find something.

I keep saying this game needs more ways to innately stick post-it notes everywhere. Something like the Factorio To-Do List mod would also be really handy!

quote:

I finished all my purple science and now I'm working on getting warping to try and import silicon from a nearby solar system. I completely skipped the dyson swarm and might go straight to sphere??? But man getting those particle colliders to strange matter is no joke. Made me realize how poorly I'm handling my gas, too.

A question I had is how do I do warping on interstellar drones? Do i just feed some in to the station and set required warping? Kind of excited to see what's on another solar system and hope I bring enough stuff so I don't get stranded.

You don't get interstellar drones until you hit a certain drone speed upgrade tier. Then you just have to manage to get warpers into their station. ISLs have a hidden 6th slot for warpers so you can just belt them in without having to waste one of your five slots for every tower you want warping.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I had the same problem and hit on a workaround just before finally finishing my sphere - stick a stack of containers outside your each of your main production centres and put one of whatever you’re producing there in the top one. The stack will stand out from the mess of belts and factories and logistics stations and have the icon there easily identifiable

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cubes on conveyers is a good way to mark stuff

Ahhh tfw you get your MkI mall finished

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 29, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can also use belts full of science cubes as glowing markers. And now there’s colored foundation, right?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

Cubes on conveyers is a good way to mark stuff

Ahhh tfw you get your MkI mall finished

Mine isn't quite done on my restart, but wow yours is already looking a hell of a lot neater than mine. And with a lot less belts to build the same things...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a based off of Nilaus' design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKR3aVCmzE0

Essentially you can make everything you need to get to yellow from brick, iron, gears, circuit boards and coils. You bring in steel, glass and excited plasma from the other side and order the assemblers so that as stuff starts requiring those ingredients, they replace iron, gears and coils as you don't need them. My minerals on my starter are pretty badly placed so I'm bringing in belts for stone, glass and plasma up from literally the other side of the equator. Luckily, the fast drones mod still works

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 29, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Ah, wel, preplanning certainly would make it neater, huh. Interesting design for sure. I just assume all my stuff is temporary until PLS so the spaghetti is okay.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok here's my take on the game copy mod vs. Multibuild:

what it does better
- Copies box settings
- Very smooth, I thought MB was seamlessly integrated but I guess there were some seams I couldn't see. I think they improved placement in general because the belts seem a lot snappier than before.
- Handles more complex sorter placements better. When linking power plants pre-patch by dragging, it was hit or miss if the connection would take. It happened randomly with other stuff too, but the native version never misses.

What it does worse (and some of these may be bugs)
- Doesn't have, or can't seem to find, a way to toggle sorters off when you pipette a building. In fact it seems sticky in general, I'll have a clean cursor and go to pick an assembler from the hotbar and it's still retaining copy settings, I assume it's a bug.
- No spacing option. At mid-latitudes, the game allows you to tightly pack assemblers without a grid point in between them. If you use the game copy, it defaults to that pack, but sometimes you want that space, for power reasons or because you're direct feeding another machine. Same thing happens with solar panels in the polar altitudes, the copy defaults to tightly packed but it's so tight it triggers the power source proximity limit. I use all my solar polarilarly so that's an issue.
- Can seem to only place 12 solar panels at a time???

Blueprints aside, I think they did a fine job of creating a nice copy mod within the game and I'm pretty sure the things I'm complaining about are just bugs and they'll get fixed at some point.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The spacing option sounds like it might be relatively easy for a modder to add a quick fix in for that on top of the better copying mechanics, but yeah that is something that I wish they had included. Hopefully they will add that in relatively soon.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Restarted for the patch and I got set up much quicker then usual. I think they upped the starting resources a bit as they lasted me quite a bit more then usual.

Looking at the milky way I there are some seeds with several hundred people on them and it seems people are trying to get the most remote seeds. I haven't been able to find any with zero people on it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

zoux posted:

- Doesn't have, or can't seem to find, a way to toggle sorters off when you pipette a building. In fact it seems sticky in general, I'll have a clean cursor and go to pick an assembler from the hotbar and it's still retaining copy settings, I assume it's a bug.
`

zoux posted:

- No spacing option. At mid-latitudes, the game allows you to tightly pack assemblers without a grid point in between them. If you use the game copy, it defaults to that pack, but sometimes you want that space, for power reasons or because you're direct feeding another machine. Same thing happens with solar panels in the polar altitudes, the copy defaults to tightly packed but it's so tight it triggers the power source proximity limit. I use all my solar polarilarly so that's an issue.
tab

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Works like a charm for spacing, thanks! But I still can't figure out how to toggle off sorters.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, that's new. And a cute error message. Never gotten one before now. Nor do I have any clue what caused it, of course... Also, their error messages don't appear to ever clear, even loading a save, so not great.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 30, 2021

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
Yeah, you pretty much have to exit entirely to the main menu, or even restart the game completely. That, ime, usually happens because of a mod loving up, but I don't see that in the message, do it could just be early build screw up.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pyre File posted:

Yeah, you pretty much have to exit entirely to the main menu, or even restart the game completely. That, ime, usually happens because of a mod loving up, but I don't see that in the message, do it could just be early build screw up.

Never put a mod in the game, so that's certainly interesting. Had just set up my titanium smelting array, and one of the PLS dependencies had just finished researching, but neither coincided exactly with the error.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Works like a charm for spacing, thanks! But I still can't figure out how to toggle off sorters.
You should be able to shift click a building, then hit grave (`), then paste the building

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

One day I'll actually land on my landing pad without promptly bouncing miles away.

Also, thanks multithreading for making my PC fans spin up even harder with this game, it gets harder to enjoy when I start worrying about my hardware that crypto has made irreplacable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you aren’t pressing anything when you get close I think it lands on its own