Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I tried putting shimeji in my hayashi rice tonight. I didn’t really notice them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

We finished the tuna in 3 days. Reflecting on it, the taste was probably the biggest difference vs. the fresh things I've been getting at the grocery store. The taste of the direct Hawaiian tuna was slightly more citrusy but not lingering.

on the third day I just cut up whatever I had left for some sashimi and poke. color appeal went down but taste is fine:

I probably should have wrapped it in butcher paper or saran wrap instead of just a ziplock bag.

an example of fresh grocery store tuna that I cut up:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Can anyone help me not suck at stir fry? I have no idea if this is the right thread, but I have some rice noodles, and some yakisoba and I honestly just want to throw them into a pan with some oil, vegetables and meat.

I know the timing on the veggies and meat to make it work relatively ok, but what I suck at is giving it any good flavor. I just throw in some soy sauce, mirin, and sake and it always comes out... not great. I also use some msg, pepper, and other spices from time to time but again, its never great.

I want to be better at this dish b ecuase it seems like a great way to get rid of leftovers, just throw whatever in my wok and cook it up. Do I just need to keep practicing to get the right proportions of it all correct? I don't really want ot measure because I do want to learn to just get a "feel" for what is right for it since its a very variable dish.

Are there any good secrets, tips, or tricks anyone has for this? Everything I make is edible but compared to any kinda of stir fry I eat elsewhere its meh.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always use oyster sauce in my generic stir fry. It adds good flavor.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do you have a particular thing you're trying to make? Stir frying is a technique that covers a massive range of food.

If you're looking to make yakisoba, this is more or less what I do: https://www.justonecookbook.com/yakisoba/

I cut the ketchup down a lot, at the quantity in the recipe you can taste it distinctly and I don't care for it. And I add a good glug of vinegar. Also MSG.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My experience with stir fry has varied a lot but what really makes it good for me is crispy vegetables. I've started to cook the veggies separately first and sprinkle them with garlic salt to try and draw out some of the moisture. I don't know if that's what's actually happening but it seems to help. I tend to go really heavy on the baby broccoli and before cooking it I'll cut it up, pour a little olive oil over it with some garlic salt, and start putting some pressure on it with my hands and really work the oil in. I think breaking the surface cells of dark green veggies like that tends to allow the flavors to release more evenly once it heats up. It sure seems to work for me, anyway - I'm a baby level cook.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Thanks for the tips guys. When you all stir fry do you find you are constantly adding more oil over the course of the cook?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Only if I screwed up in the beginning. For Chinese cooking the most key, generalized tip I can give anyone is to use way more oil than you think you need. Pour in what looks like an unreasonable amount then add a bit more. There is no other single thing you can do that will improve almost anything you're making. Japanese isn't as oil-heavy but for something like yakisoba you still need a decent amount.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think it depends on how calorie conscious you're trying to be, but depending on what I'm cooking I don't think it's bad to add a little oil here and there when I "feel" like I need to. I know that's not helpful but it's what I've got :v:

The only time I'm hesitant is when I'm cooking things that are just going to soak the oil like potatoes and carrots. Broccolini I will pour oil over all day, but like I said I usually coat it way before it ever hits the pan. With meat (I do a lot of chicken), if bits of it are falling off as I stir, I will add more oil. But I try to be more conservative.

I think the big thing too is to never stop stirring it. I watch a lot of videos about teamaking and there's a guy who shows the "killgreen" process that involves using a giant man-sized wok tilted over an oven flame, constantly tossing the leaves into the upper walls of the wok and letting them roll down so as to let them cool juuust a bit before they hit the heat again. It gets the moisture out but keeps them from burning, and the tossing of the leaves and the releasing of their moisture steams the leaves sitting on top of them, distributing the heat without damaging the plant too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3CCtZA5GrE

The audio isn't great because he's in a Chinese mountain forest at night but you can get a pretty good idea of what he's doing. This same principle applies to cooking green vegetables too.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Skyarb posted:

Can anyone help me not suck at stir fry? I have no idea if this is the right thread, but I have some rice noodles, and some yakisoba and I honestly just want to throw them into a pan with some oil, vegetables and meat.

I know the timing on the veggies and meat to make it work relatively ok, but what I suck at is giving it any good flavor. I just throw in some soy sauce, mirin, and sake and it always comes out... not great. I also use some msg, pepper, and other spices from time to time but again, its never great.

I want to be better at this dish b ecuase it seems like a great way to get rid of leftovers, just throw whatever in my wok and cook it up. Do I just need to keep practicing to get the right proportions of it all correct? I don't really want ot measure because I do want to learn to just get a "feel" for what is right for it since its a very variable dish.

Are there any good secrets, tips, or tricks anyone has for this? Everything I make is edible but compared to any kinda of stir fry I eat elsewhere its meh.

For yakisoba you'd want to get some yakisoba sauce to add. For chinese stir fry some combination of oyster sauce / soy sauce / white pepper / shaoshing cooking wine / garlic / ginger / corn or potato starch.

If you want something a little sweet hoisin sauce, a little vinegar can make stuff taste better too.

Soy sauce, mirin and sake is like, teriyaki sauce so you could make some teriyaki sauce noodles with it if that's what you wanted.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Skyarb posted:

woks of life has great recipes for chinese cooking (and some stir-frys). The stir-fry sauce recipe also talks about velveting, which imo is essential for chicken in a stir-fry.

https://thewoksoflife.com/stir-fry-sauce-recipe/
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-velvet-chicken-stir-fry/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Development posted:

woks of life has great recipes for chinese cooking (and some stir-frys). The stir-fry sauce recipe also talks about velveting, which imo is essential for chicken in a stir-fry.

https://thewoksoflife.com/stir-fry-sauce-recipe/
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-velvet-chicken-stir-fry/

Just as a warning, Woks of Life is extremely variable. Some of the recipes are good, some are just loving insane nonsense. It's helpful if you already are familiar with the thing you're trying to cook but if you're starting out I would not go there, you won't be able to tell the difference. Like that velveting method is very weird, it's like... conceptually on the right track but all the steps and ingredients are bizarre, never seen anything like it.

I haven't found any generalized Chinese cooking sites that are good. Mala Market has a recipe blog which is a great resource for Sichuan food, everything I've made from there has been great. Fuchsia Dunlop's books are generally good, just don't get her old Sichuan one, it sucks. Go for the new one.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

Just as a warning, Woks of Life is extremely variable. Some of the recipes are good, some are just loving insane nonsense. It's helpful if you already are familiar with the thing you're trying to cook but if you're starting out I would not go there, you won't be able to tell the difference. Like that velveting method is very weird, it's like... conceptually on the right track but all the steps and ingredients are bizarre, never seen anything like it.

I haven't found any generalized Chinese cooking sites that are good. Mala Market has a recipe blog which is a great resource for Sichuan food, everything I've made from there has been great. Fuchsia Dunlop's books are generally good, just don't get her old Sichuan one, it sucks. Go for the new one.

Just out of curiosity, which recipes did you find are nonsense? We've been buying all of our peppers and niche ingredients (tsao-ko, chinese cinnamon etc.) from Mala Market and they've been great.

Yeah, I have Fuchsia's new Food of Sichuan and The Land of Fish and Rice and almost every single recipe has been a hit. Probably more Chinese cooking thread stuff, but I've found a lot of Meishitai's videos on youtube to be awesome (turn closed captioning on, a lot of times their presenters will speak in their native dialect or Mandarin).

Development fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 29, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't have a shitlist or anything but there's a couple I remember. Starting with that velvet, they have you add things in stages and let it rest between each one, and the ingredients are water, soy sauce or oyster sauce, cornstarch, and oil.

The generic Chinese marinade/velvet is water, huangjiu, soy sauce, cornstarch, salt, sugar, oil. Sometimes you also add a tenderizer which is either egg white, baking soda, or papain. I've never seen it added in stages and left to sit between each one, it's always add liquids, mix, add the powders, mix, add the oil, mix, then let it sit half an hour-ish. Oyster sauce is a wild addition because that's going to stand out. It's fine if you're making an oyster saucey dish I guess but there's no reason to add it to the marinade.

Then there's this dry pot cauliflower: https://thewoksoflife.com/dry-pot-cauliflower/

It looks sort of okay and then you get to the ingredient list. Bell pepper, oyster sauce, and water have no place in this. It's Sichuanese but there's no Sichuan pepper. Also leaves out the fresh chilies, the quantity of dry chilies is too low. Then you go back at the technique and see this:

quote:

Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon ground white pepper, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, ¼ teaspoon sugar, and ½ cup water. Stir, cover, and cook for 1- 2 minutes.

That's not how this works. You can add all the powders at once, I put them in a little dipping dish and toss in near the end. Soy sauce and shaoxing you add separately. Pour one around the edge of the wok, stir everything, then do the next. Sesame oil goes at the very end, you don't want to cook it. Just dumping together all the sauce in a puddle then letting it boil is just not what you do.

Then on the other hand you have this: https://thewoksoflife.com/stir-fried-cabbage-glass-noodles/

Which is pretty good and I make regularly. It's a little underseasoned (part of that is they never have MSG in the recipes, which is Wrong but hardly just a Woks of Life problem) but otherwise just about spot on.

Anyway, I've just been burned by Woks of Life a lot. I've seen much worse sites but it's not one I'd recommend to anyone.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm going to be making some A5 for friends next week. I'm thinking of doing ichihu sandai ichiju sansai (loving autocorrect... or alcohol) style meal for it. Any thoughts on soups and tsukemono which will go nice with the fatty richness of A5?

captkirk fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 3, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Doing a full ichijū sansai set for A5 sounds fun. I don't think you can really go wrong on side dishes; I'd probably end up doing spinach ohitashi for the steakhouse creamed-spinach connection and something simmered with yuzu, maybe sweet potato or kabocha. For tsukemono tons of stuff would be good; I've been digging cucumber kasuzuke lately, takuan is always good, I think umeboshi would work, you could even do like kimchi. For the soup, maybe something with mushrooms and like a genmai miso?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have a beef noodle broth that I'm very happy with and make pretty often, but I don't have decent noodles to go with it. What's the easiest way to make or get decent ramen or udon style noodles for a basic corner-cutting week night beef broth noodles?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I have a beef noodle broth that I'm very happy with and make pretty often, but I don't have decent noodles to go with it. What's the easiest way to make or get decent ramen or udon style noodles for a basic corner-cutting week night beef broth noodles?

I like these a lot, I mostly use for yakisoba but they'd be good for soup nudes. https://hakubaku-usa.com/product/kaedama-fresh-ramen-restaurant-style-noodles/

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Scythe posted:

Doing a full ichijū sansai set for A5 sounds fun. I don't think you can really go wrong on side dishes; I'd probably end up doing spinach ohitashi for the steakhouse creamed-spinach connection and something simmered with yuzu, maybe sweet potato or kabocha. For tsukemono tons of stuff would be good; I've been digging cucumber kasuzuke lately, takuan is always good, I think umeboshi would work, you could even do like kimchi. For the soup, maybe something with mushrooms and like a genmai miso?

I went with daikon and carrot amazuzuke, broccolini gomaae, the sweet potato mash my friend brought, and then a mushroom miso soup.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
how'd the beef turn out?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

get decent ramen or udon style noodles for a basic corner-cutting week night beef broth noodles?

For fresh: Sun ramen noodles from Hawaii
For dry: Hime noodles udon or ramen.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

how'd the beef turn out?

I'd not done sous vide for steak before and I didnt give the steak enough time after the bath to really take the salt in so it was a little underseasoned but a little table side flaky salt fixed that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
wife made a nice somen last night, perfect for the weather

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I love shiso but it’s not really available fresh here in Finland. I mentioned this to my gardening enthusiast mom some time back and what do you know, the next time she was buying plants she happened to notice they had shiso and got one for me.

I guess I have a source of fresh shiso now :woop:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

I love shiso but it’s not really available fresh here in Finland. I mentioned this to my gardening enthusiast mom some time back and what do you know, the next time she was buying plants she happened to notice they had shiso and got one for me.

I guess I have a source of fresh shiso now :woop:

I was gonna say, it's a decently easy herb to grow, like basil.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
huh, i've seen plenty of shiso leaf for sale, but i'm not sure if i've ever seen a shiso plant

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, now that outdoor fun with friends is a thing again, for the most part, I want to take my takoyaki and okonomiyaki game on the road for park picnics, but all my gear is electric. I guess it’s time to invest in a propane or butane stove and a cast iron takoyaki pan.

Something like this ought to do the job, right? I hope the butane cans are somewhat standard like the ones I can buy at the local asian grocery. Other than that the takoyaki pan should be easy to source and a griddle is just a griddle. Though I guess I’d need to make sure it’ll fit on this smaller size grill.

E: I mean I can also get a more basic butane stove but I think this one would be cool for being able to yakitori and kebab right on top.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
don't think anyone's mentioned this channel yet, it's a p cool b級グルメ survey in kansai with english subs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFxA2Zb_V-Y

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Stringent posted:

don't think anyone's mentioned this channel yet, it's a p cool b級グルメ survey in kansai with english subs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFxA2Zb_V-Y

This channel is great, I am glad he started making videos again after his break.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Finally got around to throwing together some hayashi rice.

That’s a drat fine bowl of food. Mix of eye of round and ribeye, with button, shimeji, and king oyster mushrooms.

For something lighter tomorrow I’m gonna make some zaru soba although I’m probably going to mostly be winging it on the dipping sauce with what I’ve got in the pantry.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Oyakodon is so good but photographs like poo poo.
Edit: JOCs recipe is not bad but I feel like it needs more sugar or something.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 6, 2021

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I got some premade mochi squares the other day, so far I've just been popping them into the toaster oven and dipping them in some sweet soy sauce, but would you guys have any recommended recipes to try with some premade mochi blocks?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Umbreon posted:

I got some premade mochi squares the other day, so far I've just been popping them into the toaster oven and dipping them in some sweet soy sauce, but would you guys have any recommended recipes to try with some premade mochi blocks?

my wife eats them with natto and soy sauce

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I like it toasted with kinako and sugar sometimes.
Also can put it in a miso soup like ozoni. It's also tasty chopped up and put into okonomiyaki if you want to try that.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Nori and soy sauce (isobe mochi) is also tasty.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Mongoose posted:

Nori and soy sauce (isobe mochi) is also tasty.

Gonna try yours first, then spacedog's.

What brand of nori do you use?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
No particular brand, I usually just buy whatever looks good and has a resealable pouch when I'm at Hmart or the Japanese market. To be honest, 99% of my mochi consumption is during the new year holiday with spacedog's dishes--ozoni, kinako+sugar and bean paste ala anko or oshiruko.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Green tea calrose with Japanese pickled cucumber from Justonecookbook.
To be honest I can barely taste the tea, and I used a full four tablespoons for one cup like it recommended. :-/
Maybe I should have used more salt...
Good back and forth contrast with the pickles though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What kind of tea are you using? How hot and how long are you steeping it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Heath posted:

What kind of tea are you using? How hot and how long are you steeping it?

I used plain old bancha according to the instructions in this recipe (ten minute steep, then added to the rice):
https://rasamalaysia.com/green-tea-rice/

Honestly, I think the problem is that my sense of taste has really gone downhill the hotter my food is. It was easier to taste the cooler everything got.