Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that Miro segment was unreal. He's so so good. Loved to see the crowd going wild for him

It had the same level of catharsis as Mox's debut, just total validation that the guy who always felt like he should be a star definitely is one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If you're not watching on Fite TV you're missing out on some beautiful underwear chat from Team Taz's Taz.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

If you're not watching on Fite TV you're missing out on some beautiful underwear chat from Team Taz's Taz.

Also a barely audible hot mic Tony Schiavone talking to Britt Baker (?) during the Sammy Guevara cards promo picture in picture

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/AnthonyOgogo/status/1398481040352624641

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

im an old rear end 33 year old man who was very tired from work and ate dinner in preparation for friday night dynamite and then promptly fell asleep

so ITS SATURDAY MORNING YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

i still like cody

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

An entire crowd of heels, you hate to see it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Rarity posted:

An entire crowd of heels, you hate to see it

They're in Bizzaro land, Maggle!!

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Loved the page cage post match of the very good janela hangman match

e: rod and todd flanders lmao

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 29, 2021

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Had a lot of fun at the show last night. I think the crowd was a little tired after sitting through 2 hours of Dark Elevation tapings and then a lot of go home promos, but glad it seems like we were lively on TV.

Cody is still massively over with live crowds, but I think Britt Baker and Jungle Boy were some of the biggest notable pops of the night.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

All of this is moot because Jungle Boy is finally winning a battle royale.

Jungle Boy won the battle royale to determine the first challenger to Cody Rhodes' TNT title after DoN last year.

This week's episode felt very low stakes compared to the last few weeks of PPV quality cards. When all the matches are foregone conclusions it's important to keep the energy level high and they dropped the ball by going into that painful weigh in segment straight after the opening match. If Sky/Page vs Uno/Stu had organically flowed out of that opening brawl and left Hangman/Janela as the final match the pacing would have been better imo.

Lamuella posted:

Viewed as a two hour preshow, this was very good. Viewed as an episode of Dynamite, it was desperately uneven.

Good call.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I think Britt Baker and Jungle Boy were some of the biggest notable pops of the night.

Crowd always trying to get themselves over :rolleyes:

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

The Cody/Ogogo feud really isn't doing anything for me and them doing this nationalist poo poo makes it even worse

Only way they can save it now is to burn both flags live on PPV

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Real nice face promo from Santana annnnnd now Hager is talking

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

boxcarhobo posted:

im an old rear end 33 year old man who was very tired from work and ate dinner in preparation for friday night dynamite and then promptly fell asleep

i still like cody

its not that late....

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

JOHN CENA posted:

its not that late....

I know

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

boxcarhobo posted:

i still like cody

hi are you me lol

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

smarxist posted:

hi are you me lol

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Confused Penta is the best.

It was a good go home show, but it was obvious the humidity sucked, and I really didn't like the layout of the seating. Not sure if it's just because I was used to one layout for 15 months.

Fire the racist idiot. There are mistakes, and then there's whatever the gently caress that was.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

it’s especially lovely because it was the first time shida felt confident enough to cut a live mic promo in the ring and does a great job, and then someone in her own drat company makes fun of her accent

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Other thoughts.

Uno had some good mannerisms as a heel but I think he works better as a face. Uno was on his game tonight but Stu still felt like he carried the team. Not because Uno is bad but because Stu is that good. That having been said; despite being somebody who has been really harsh on this team in the past I find it sad that they were on enhancement talent duty against Eggo (who isn't even bad, he's just like Shawn Spears in that he doesn't have a hook*) and Scorpio Sky (who I think we overrated because he was booked well in the tag tournament and subsequent reign). They're probably going to be stuck in the midcard for the foreseeable future. Being in a stable with two tag teams and not knowing which one is the better of the two won't help.

After what happened in WWE I kinda like that a good chunk of the AEW roster treats Sting as a wrestling god. But still, holy poo poo 62 and actually wrestling a goddamn live match.

I think Hangmin's wound was one of those 'looks worse than it is' things but it still wasn't pretty.

If IC breaks up I fear that Sammy and P&P will get lost in the shuffle. Well more P&P than Sammy. Sammy needs some room to breathe away from Jericho and away from being the IC's designated pin eater. P&P? They're great but so isn't almost every tag team in AEW. That's the problem. I'm still all-in on my dumb idea of having JR manage Hager if they plan on doing anything with him post breakup (I hope they don't. Character issues aside he's not very good. Well he's kinda good at playing the meathead dope).

I just went from being 50/50 on who wins the tag match to being 70-30 in favor of Mox/Kingston because they went through all the trouble of getting them their own theme music and their own tag finisher. Or it could all be a red herring. AEW does those. I hope Mox/Kingston are the last ersatz tag team to hold the titles before they finally leave the Bucks' orbit, even if that means a second FTR title reign.

*I think Shawn Spears may have finally found his niche as the loose canon of the Pinnacle. I also think Spears is underrated on the mic.

I appreciate faces getting savvy to the typical heel ambushes.

I wish Shida's promo was a little longer. She deserves it. That having been said she probably should have been pointing to the crowd when she said 'this is for you. And you'.

I feel like Jungle Boy is going to need a Britt Baker-esque heel run before he truly finds his character.

I never thought much of Miro in WWE. I think much of Miro now.

Is Hook almost ready to debut? Has there been any noise on that front?

They need to get the hell out of Daily's Place during the summer. People should not wrestle in that humidity. June's gonna be rough before they start touring again.

There was a lot to chew on despite this really being a bottom 10% Dynamite. the episode wasn't a failure per se, it was just set up to sell the hell out of DoN while not taxing the wrestlers.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 29, 2021

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wonder if how hard I'm trying to like Scorpio Sky is only making me like him less. He's just a white noise wrestler to me from top to bottom. The definition of a 6/10 in every stat.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Me: Can we have MJF?
Mom: We have MJF at home
MJF at home: Ethan Page

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Scorpio Sky is what happens when God works so hard to make sure someone has every attitribute to make a good wrestler that he forgets to add in the je ne sais quoi that makes a great wrestler

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I'm really tiring of Cody. I don't think I've enjoyed much of his angles/matches since the dog collar match.

DoN is going to rock. I'm ready for Miro to ascend and champ Britt.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

I feel like Jungle Boy is going to need a Britt Baker-esque heel run before he truly finds his character.

One day Jungle Boy is gonna beat the poo poo out of Marko to absolutely nuclear heat and it's gonna be great.

Hate the new old South park arena setup, but.im totally hyped for Sunday.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

blunt posted:

One day Jungle Boy is gonna beat the poo poo out of Marko to absolutely nuclear heat and it's gonna be great.

Hate the new old South park arena setup, but.im totally hyped for Sunday.

thanks for reminding me about that all timer

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1150263102560178176

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

blunt posted:

God, it is impossible for me to imagine a heel Jungle Boy. Maybe it'd be awesome though.

I think I remember the good Cody stuff more than most. Eddie Kingston's TNT title match.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Rarity posted:

Scorpio Sky is what happens when God works so hard to make sure someone has every attitribute to make a good wrestler that he forgets to add in the je ne sais quoi that makes a great wrestler

It's true, he's aggressively mediocre in a sea of interesting wrestlers.

As long as Ogogo punches Cody in the gut and England triumphs over problematic America, it will be a ***** star PPV.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 29, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

Page and Scorpio need something to make them look like killers. They need an angle where they put someone on the shelf or do something to make them look like an actual threat. The Darby stair stuff was close but they really didn't get the shine from that.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Page and Scorpio need something to make them look like killers. They need an angle where they put someone on the shelf or do something to make them look like an actual threat. The Darby stair stuff was close but they really didn't get the shine from that.

They could throw Darby in a wood chipper, the shine still wouldn't stick to them. Scorpio is the kind of guy who should put on a lucha mask and focus on doing a few taunts and having great matches. Ethan needs to do more Ric Flair stuff.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah I feel like from what I've seen of Ethan Page he's just on simmer. But if he had been asked to like have a TNT title program with Darby, he'd show me something. Sky's been pushed in AEW on more than one occasion and he's just sorta what you see is what you get. I have yet to see any spark from him. Even his title match with Darby was more fine than anything to me.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

He reminds me of the Minoru Suzuki comments about how much he hates all rounders (and why he likes Jon Moxley)

https://www.njpw1972.com/71601

quote:

Suzuki: He’s a guy who stepped in my house and didn’t take his shoes off at the front door. The “former WWE Superstar Dean Ambrose”. Changed his look up a bit and here he is. Look, I’ve been watching him for a while, yeah. Can he grapple? No. Is he strong? No. Tough? No. He can’t do s**t.

–No?

Suzuki: Not. S**t. But that’s created a spot for him.

— I see.

Suzuki: Do you, though? Look at what makes a great wrestler. Tall, muscular, can kick, can throw hands, can suplex people, can tap them out, can fly, is charismatic. Get all that together and you have a cleanup hitter. That’s the kind of guy that makes hacks like you, or the fans in the crowd give them the nod.

–Right. The total package.

Suzuki: But make an all star team of guys like that, and they’re the most boring team in the league.
These days, you can make your own characters in the videogames, right?

–Yes, they have edit modes.

Suzuki: So some kid with their video game goes and makes their dream promotion, and it’s full of those aces right? But a baseball team that’s full of cleanup hitters won’t go anywhere. It’s the same for wrestling promotions.

–So, even though he was successful in the major American leagues, Jon Moxley is by no means the total package as a wrestler, in your opinion.

Suzuki: It’s a bit of a paradox, but it’s because of that he got chances in WWE. There’s nobody else like him, right? Nobody in the majors in America is like him. So he stands out. Nobody gets that. Look. An absolute all-round perfectionist, the perfect complete player, tens in every category? Not even Tanahashi is that. Naito isn’t that. They don’t exist.

–Those slants, the weaknesses make strengths stand out, and made Moxley stand out.

Suzuki: Hehehe… Everyone in this business is a mark, you included. You fans have this idea of ratings, of skill points. You put all those points in a hexagon graph and calculate an average; ‘oh he’s a good wrestler, over 80 overall’. BS. Who the hell will pay money to buy a ticket, and see a guy who’s a perfect hexagon, 8 out of 10 or above in all areas? The guy with zero overall, the guy who can’t do anything at all, he’s a better draw.

–Moxley is a unique breed? Organic, you mean? Real?

Suzuki: Why is Lance Archer popular? Why does Zack Sabre Junior have the support he does? Because there’s stuff they can’t do. Nobody in this goddamn business understands that. Wrestlers don’t understand that. Trainers, people teaching these kids don’t understand that for crying out loud!

–The system wants to create all rounders.

Suzuki: So the kids go in, and they train, and their trainers find what the gaps are in their games, and they try to fill those gaps right up. So you have this perfectly smooth, grey lump of boring trash. Fill in those holes on a wrestler and there’s no way in hell he’s filling seats with asses. It’s up to us to make people talk, to make them disagree. Make them argue. So Moxley? It’s because he can’t do s**t that he’s a good wrestler.

–So you actually rate him quite highly?

Suzuki: He has something very special about him.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I’m really coming around on Ethan Page, and Sky is at least starting to appear more comfortable in his role, but I really think he’d be served well by having a manager.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I’m really coming around on Ethan Page, and Sky is at least starting to appear more comfortable in his role, but I really think he’d be served well by having a manager.

Page has this theatricality that I think could be a great asset. They just really need to let him absolutely go all out on someone.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i really want to see that minoru suzuki thing get posted every time people talk about scorpio sky, maybe 4 or 5 times at least, then it'll definitely get the point across

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lamuella posted:

He reminds me of the Minoru Suzuki comments about how much he hates all rounders (and why he likes Jon Moxley)

https://www.njpw1972.com/71601

This is really great and he’s completely right.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr Snips posted:

The Cody/Ogogo feud really isn't doing anything for me and them doing this nationalist poo poo makes it even worse

Only way they can save it now is to burn both flags live on PPV

I loved seeing a dude in a Everton soccer shirt very loudly booing and thumbs-down-ing Anthony Ogogo :allears:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Alaois posted:

i really want to see that minoru suzuki thing get posted every time people talk about scorpio sky, maybe 4 or 5 times at least, then it'll definitely get the point across

would you say it keeps getting posted all round the sub forum?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

El Generico posted:

God, it is impossible for me to imagine a heel Jungle Boy

I think it could work if he leaned into the son of Luke Perry, second-gen celeb thing but he'd have to completely change up his look for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Rarity posted:

I think it could work if he leaned into the son of Luke Perry, second-gen celeb thing but he'd have to completely change up his look for it

All he needs to do for a heel turn is voluntarily cut his hair.