Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

sweat poteto posted:

Unfortunately fabric doesn't do a short version of that saddle yet, so I'm looking at mtb saddles now.

The gel saddle is shorter but it’s also wider and they don’t make it with ti rails. I like it on more upright bikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Nice ride hope you don’t get giardia from the raccoon turds upstream

QFT.

loving Giardia ruined the second half of 2020 for me and all of 2021 so far. I was having my best year of riding and training regularly, despite COVID, and then I started having severe GI symptoms at the end of July. I went to a bunch of different doctors and no one figured it out until the end of February this year, so that's 7 months with an undiagnosed parasitic infection destroying my intestines.

I tested negative after a course of antibiotics, but my GI still isn't back to normal. I still don't feel comfortable doing long rides away from home and some days can't even hop on the trainer.

PSA: Don't drink untreated water. Or find good doctors.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
This is easily the most effective (and delightful!) bike advocacy video I've ever seen:
https://twitter.com/BikeIsBestHQ/status/1398187399470063620?s=19

Unrelated dumb question: what do folks think about standing while pedaling? I had no idea there was controversy around doing so until I saw this Stack Exchange post .

I only learned to ride in my late teens, so standing while pedaling is one of those things that didn't get learned well. I've been generally capable of it, but have always been weirdly uncomfortable doing so. Until the last month, that is, when something apparently clicked in my brain and it just intuitively works in a way that it never did before. Super useful for getting around the city in mixed traffic, particularly getting started at traffic lights.

So I was surprised to stumble across that post with folks recommending against it with the concern that the extra strain put on the bike could cause damage. Do folks here have thoughts one way or another?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It depends on how well you can do it doesn’t it? IMO Ragging a bike side to side isn’t going to be good for it, but a short burst with the bike under control when you need to make it to the crest of a hill would be fine - although saying that obviously none this applies to mountain biking which is it’s own thing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If a bike can't take the stress of someone standing up to put power into it then its a poo poo bike that shouldn't be ridden

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Unrelated dumb question: what do folks think about standing while pedaling? I had no idea there was controversy around doing so until I saw this Stack Exchange post .

I only learned to ride in my late teens, so standing while pedaling is one of those things that didn't get learned well. I've been generally capable of it, but have always been weirdly uncomfortable doing so. Until the last month, that is, when something apparently clicked in my brain and it just intuitively works in a way that it never did before. Super useful for getting around the city in mixed traffic, particularly getting started at traffic lights.

If you have to stand up to accelerate like mentioned in the Sheldon post then yeah your saddle could be badly positioned or you're routinely in the wrong gear, but standing up and pedalling itself is fine imo. On longer rides I'll stand up and pedal for a minute every 15 minutes or so to keep myself mobile, I live in the flatlands so there's no natural points that I would otherwise.

I'm thinking of getting a new bike as an end of phd/new job reward, very into the idea of one of these:

Reviews for the previous frame iteration say that they're a pretty harsh ride for titanium though, so think I'll wait for reviews of the new one.

Other options are a Canyon Endurace or similar racey endurance bike. I think a more relaxed geometry would suit me better at this point, my pedalling mechanics are still a bit off on my TCR even after 9 months of physio. All my long term knee problems were down to tight hips and not being relaxed enough apparently

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cugel the Clever posted:

This is easily the most effective (and delightful!) bike advocacy video I've ever seen:

So I was surprised to stumble across that post with folks recommending against it with the concern that the extra strain put on the bike could cause damage. Do folks here have thoughts one way or another?

Ah yes, the well known cycling experts at stack exchange.

Standing is a perfectly normal thing on a bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

learnincurve posted:

It depends on how well you can do it doesn’t it? IMO Ragging a bike side to side isn’t going to be good for it, but a short burst with the bike under control when you need to make it to the crest of a hill would be fine - although saying that obviously none this applies to mountain biking which is it’s own thing.

I had something like 500 hours on the trainer last year where the bike is physically locked in an upright position at the hub axles/dropouts and I was still "ragging it side-to-side" during sprints. That's infinitely worse. Must be a miracle that it's still in one piece.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 29, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Your knees will break before your bike does, but the linked thread does mostly say 'people stand up too much when they don't need to, use an easier gear you chumps' which is pretty much correct.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
A few weeks ago I completely misjudged the size of the ramp in front of me and so went up a 10+% gradient at walking pace in 54/14. I feel like if a bike can survive me doing that, it'll survive basically anything someone half my size would throw at it.

Heliosicle posted:

Reviews for the previous frame iteration say that they're a pretty harsh ride for titanium though, so think I'll wait for reviews of the new one.

Most of the comfort of the ride is from the seat post and the tyres.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Standing and pedaling is totally fine. Watch some pro race sprint footage, those bikes are getting leaned +/-30 degrees every pedal stroke while the rider is putting out maximum power. And their butts are definitely not on their seats. You can also try pushing sideways on your crank/bottom bracket with your foot while off the bike just to see how flexy it is and how much force you can apply with no problems while not actually riding.

Slipping your foot off the pedal while standing is a much bigger risk (to you) than any damage to the bike by standing on it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
you could be like this guy and just purposefully crush your knees at every opportunity

https://www.reddit.com/r/cycling/comments/nnj1w9/what_is_your_strategy_for_gears/

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

e.pilot posted:

Ah yes, the well known cycling experts at stack exchange.

Standing is a perfectly normal thing on a bike.

Real cyclists know that they fit better on low stack exchange.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sheldon Brown posted:

The issue of correct cycling form and technique is a source of controversy. I believe that much of this controversy results from the tendency of cyclists who practice a particular sort of cycling to think that what works for that branch is applicable to all cyclists. In particular, I believe that much bad advice has come from racing or racing-oriented cyclists, who assume that the techniques that help win races must be the best approach for all cyclists....

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/standing.html

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
30 miles in under two hours today, including having to go around and kindof over a tree that had fallen across the trail at 6.5 miles in, and again on the way back. Basically back to where I was endurance/speed wise last August, so now it's time to start building distance and speed.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

You post that as if any of us here have disagreed with that?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I think the thread is conflating standing to get moving on the bike and standing while already moving. Both are fine, but if you *have* to stand to get moving from a stop then your fit/technique may be off.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Vando posted:

You post that as if any of us here have disagreed with that?

I post that because Sheldon Brown should always be posted.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I ride mtb so I have a special accessory that moves my seat out of the way so I can stand even more.

I don’t have a dropper yet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my dropper needs more air but i have to take the seat off to access the valve so i don't have a dropper right now either :rip:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Out of morbid curiosity today I went to my local Trek store and all the racks of bikes were full of kid bikes, the only adult bikes were $6000+ carbon who give a poo poo bikes.

I lmao’d and walked out, great economy we got here

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I see you missed the $6k+ carbon balance bikes

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone have a stages power meter? or the new garmin pedals? i can't really justify the high price for dual sided but single sided PM seems neat

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A single sided one of the new garmin pedals is about the same as the dual sided Favero Assioma

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone have a stages power meter? or the new garmin pedals? i can't really justify the high price for dual sided but single sided PM seems neat

Power2max NGEco with crank and chainrings, all in under $700 for just about every BB standard.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you can justify the price on the new Garmin pedals then I'm seconding the Favero/Power2max recommendations, but if your budget is lower the Stages and 4iiii single sided cranks are both solid options.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How are you supposed to say 4iiii? Is it "four eye eye eye eye" or "four eye"? Same question for 3ttt

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

3TTT is now 3T

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Sheldon brown is an incredibly overrated resource and I wish people would stop pretending he is the end all to every discussion about bikes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've never read a Sheldon Brown article before but if they're all like that I don't care to read any more.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Levitate posted:

Sheldon brown is an incredibly overrated resource and I wish people would stop pretending he is the end all to every discussion about bikes

He's a good tech reference for old/weird poo poo but I try not to read too much into ~the philosophy~ side of things

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Vando posted:

He's a good tech reference for old/weird poo poo but I try not to read too much into ~the philosophy~ side of things

Yep I’d agree with that

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Finally got around getting babby's first road bike. Been wanting one since last summer, and now when I finally got around spending the money I had been saving for one, there really weren't that many options in the local bike shops at least - even for road bikes, corona drought was real here in Finland. So Specialized Allez Elite it is.

Gave it a 30 km first spin today, and the lock pedals (and fresh biking shoes) probably will take some getting used to before they feel comfortable, after two decades of flat pedals. Legs were getting fatigue in all sorts of interesting places. But looking forward to longer trips I can start doing with this one, and relegating my old Trek FX 2.1 to strictly work and pub bicycle.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats a nice bike

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

spf3million posted:

How are you supposed to say 4iiii? Is it "four eye eye eye eye" or "four eye"? Same question for 3ttt

I'm pretty sure it's "four eyes."

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Why wouldn't I stand for the first few pedal strokes from a standing-start? Or when cresting a hill?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Feels like most of the people telling people "the right way" to enjoy riding a bike are the anti-lycra crowd.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sheldon Brown was super into aerodynamics, Lycra and leg shaving though.

People having a go a Sheldon Brown of all people because someone they don’t like quoted him is A Bit Much no?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

learnincurve posted:

Sheldon Brown was super into aerodynamics, Lycra and leg shaving though.

People having a go a Sheldon Brown of all people because someone they don’t like quoted him is A Bit Much no?

Nah, bud. Like, we're not having a go at Sheldon Brown. He's dead.

But I am genuinely curious what your point was with linking that post.
Do you disagree with the advice of "it's fine to stand up on a bike if ya want, you won't break it"?
Were you just trying to stir the pot?

It's imo an unnecessarily divisive and honestly outmoded view to break things down in to "racers" and "non-racers" or whatever. We're all people on bikes. That's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Bikes are cool. We should all aspire to ride more and post less.