Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kind of wondering what some of these photos actually are now that the game is clear enough to see the detail in a lot of them. One of them, funny enough, seems to be Little Master standing in front of the exact same little Black Lodge state thing you're looking at. The big one is obviously a screengrab from the hospital cutscene, but the rest? Look like actual photographs and not just screenshots. One looks a little like Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I tried so drat hard to figure out what the pictures were. The one under the Baphomet head looks like Louis Cypher from SMTII to me at least. Although it's obviously hard to tell

Edit: One thing I noticed on this playthrough is Lucifer is basically trying his damndest to get you on his side in the most subtle ways possible. Someone a long time ago pointed out that the woman is very similar to Ms.Takao, but he also assumes the Role of Stephen in this game. Being the person who allows you to summon Demons, and showing up in a wheelchair.

This time I'm getting real Paradise Lost vibes from the dude. I think the TDE might legitimately be the worst ending in the game.

Oh yeah another visual storytelling I noticed, Hikawa is introduced summoning a Baphomet to show he means business, When you first See Lucifer in the Amala Labyrinth he's got a goat head on his wall, in nearly the same position that Hikawa summons Baphomet. Really quick way to show this dude is a way bigger fish than Hikawa.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 28, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Amala/Kalpa scenes have a ton of little references in them to try and piece you in on what's going on, but even in the first Kalpa they basically blow the lid on who the guy is. One of the neat things though is that in the screenshot the game shows you during the explanation of what the Vortex World is at the end of the first Kalpa has Yuko, Hikawa, Issamu, and Chiaki standing off in the distance while explaining that "there must be people out there who harbor a Reason," giving you a little preview of the final conflict while also conspicuously leaving out a certain someone

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Old Louis Cypher being voiced by Paul Eiding makes me wait for the Demi-fiend to assure him that he managed to avoid drowning.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I had to switch to Japanese voices after hearing Hijiri and Issamu

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Some guy talks about Nocturne for, like, thirteen minutes. It's not deep or anything but it made me giggle a lot and that's my baseline for sharing videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcpikodJs0

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was like 90% certain that second line is new and I happen to have a save right there from my last run of the old game and it is. He just calls him arrogant in the original.

The angels have forsaken Praise God for Yas Queen, I guess.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got recruited into a war by the weird thing at the top of Ikebukuro. Where do I go now?

When should I explore the Labyrinth of Amala? Is that optional? I don't get what's up with that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just got recruited into a war by the weird thing at the top of Ikebukuro. Where do I go now?

When should I explore the Labyrinth of Amala? Is that optional? I don't get what's up with that.
IIRC the Labyrinth of Amala is optional because it just straight up wasn't in the original version of Nocturne (which only Japan ever got up until the Steam port of the remaster).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

You go to Ginza and head to the Assembly of Nihilo base just south after you leave Ginza to the world map.

Labyrinth of Amala is entirely optional. You only do it if you want:
1. Deathstones to fuse the Fiends. Traversing it will unlock more Fiends to fight.
2. To buy useful demons off a Shady Broker
3.To get the True Demon Ending

It's a long, long dungeon. Be prepared to get wiped if you aren't careful. Or even if you are.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The labyrinth also has the second boss fight with Raidou/Dante as well recruiting them, a few unique bosses, and a boss rush mode. There's a lot packed in there.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's got good loot, and the XP and money will always help, as well.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah honestly the Amala dungeons are full of good fights. I wanted to do a bit of grinding before Hell Biker and the fights in even the first Kalpa are the strongest group of enemies you have access to - featuring demons from the next dungeon I haven't even gotten to yet. It's much better than going across the highway at Ginza to risk instakills against the angels near the subway. 250+ EXP and Macca per fight is a godsend when the average Ikebukuro fight is like, 100-130

I somehow filled my entire party with demons who evolve. Nozuchi, Dis, Momunofu, Inugami, High Pixie. Needed to get some of those evolved to clear up some space

also hell biker is a million times harder than matador

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a taste of what's to come if you enter the Labyrinth of Amala. It's the first 10 seconds of the dungeon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ah0akkHRcU

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah honestly the Amala dungeons are full of good fights. I wanted to do a bit of grinding before Hell Biker and the fights in even the first Kalpa are the strongest group of enemies you have access to - featuring demons from the next dungeon I haven't even gotten to yet. It's much better than going across the highway at Ginza to risk instakills against the angels near the subway. 250+ EXP and Macca per fight is a godsend when the average Ikebukuro fight is like, 100-130

I somehow filled my entire party with demons who evolve. Nozuchi, Dis, Momunofu, Inugami, High Pixie. Needed to get some of those evolved to clear up some space

also hell biker is a million times harder than matador

He is. I have no idea how I failed to remember Hell Biker being a nightmare on my first run but he has been in every subsequent one.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a taste of what's to come if you enter the Labyrinth of Amala. It's the first 10 seconds of the dungeon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ah0akkHRcU
He is. I have no idea how I failed to remember Hell Biker being a nightmare on my first run but he has been in every subsequent one.

Hahahaha this is exactly how I died all four times in the Nihilo dungeon. To be fair though, 100 HP is way too low to be in there and I got through the entire first Kalpa no problem going there after the Mantra fall

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

If you're ever lost, remember the disco in Shibuya and Nyx's bar in Ginza usually have NPCs that give you hints about your next objective.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well, I beat the game on Hard. Second time now, third full run.

I don't pretend to be Mr. Pro Gamer but it really does seem clear to me Baal Avatar is the hardest Reason boss by far. Granted, I lucked into the Noah fight with Glacial Blast on me, Bolt Storm on Yurlungur and Wind Cutter on Nyx so I had my bases covered on hurting him. I died in my first attempt because he just wouldn't stop Dekunda'ing and his Domination move hit me after I just gave up.

But BA has her Baal's Bane which turns anyone into that useless fly monster which also negates immunities to her Mahamaon and means you'll die in one hit to any attack. When she summons her two friends Ose will use Dragon's Eye a lot and he and his buddy will Dekunda and Dekaja before a long string of attacks.

gently caress that poo poo. I've never used Gogmagog before in this game so I kept him around to see what he evolved into. And when I saw Albion got Phys Drain I made sure to get that on my Clotho and Yurlungur for this fight specifically. It helped a gently caress ton. Last run I had Ongyo-Ki who is immune to Curse to deal with Bane but I wanted a different team this time and also I was Level 76 here so not even high enough to fuse him. I had Anti-Curse on Clotho so I hope that helped the second time around.

It really is the only fight of the three I consider a challenge and the only one I vividly remembered going into the ending. I didn't even remember Noah's elemental gimmick and Ahriman has his nothing "game" at he start and then just dies when that's over.

I made the vid mostly for the Yosuga specific dubbed dialogue which I figure most people wouldn't have heard yet. Chiaki's VA was really, really good from start to finish.
Feel free to skip the fight, second cutscene is at 13:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaEgLLxJZU

But yeah, not sure what I could have done different here. Apart from healing that one time but Megidola missed me so who cares..

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

does the game run reasonably well on a Switch or should I just get it on PC?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Just got through the Assembly of Nihilo, and so far it's run mostly fine. I play exclusively handheld, though, so I don't know how it is docked. There was one cutscene where the frame rate poo poo the bed, and the loading times in the Assembly of Nihilo were noticeably a bit longer than anywhere else for some reason I can't even begin to guess, but otherwise I haven't had any crashing or any other weirdness besides those two things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

shrike82 posted:

PC is capped at 30fps.

The only time I've seen framerate dips on Switch so far, is the Matador fight, when he does a big attack that had a lot of visual effects. Someone here said that part ran smoother when in handheld. But for the most part it runs well and looks good.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the performance issues have been mostly fixed. When the Japanese version came out, a bunch of SMT speedrunners tried the game out and the issues were so bad that you would know if they were still around. The record for Hard TDE is like 12 hours or so? Times for that first run were all like 16 hours long, so four additional hours of just loading times

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm pretty sure Matador is voiced by Keith Silverstein.

"Do you get to the First Kalpa very often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you don't."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well I got to matador. Holy poo poo lol

Fun to see it happen in 2021 but absolutely wrecked me and I’ve played so many SMT games. At least I know what to expect next time but I think I’m also super underleveled? I’m at 14 which was ok up to now. I have not done actual grinding in a game this early I’m in years

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

shrike82 posted:

No issues on switch other than in a single cutscene so far the fps tanked for like 10 seconds. Otherwise looks good and runs smoothly

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

If you get the PC version of Nocturne, you can install cool mods like this

https://twitter.com/SaitsuMD/status/1398394111179333635

Can't wait til someone makes a mod that swaps out Dante with Bayonetta

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well I got to matador. Holy poo poo lol

Fun to see it happen in 2021 but absolutely wrecked me and I’ve played so many SMT games. At least I know what to expect next time but I think I’m also super underleveled? I’m at 14 which was ok up to now. I have not done actual grinding in a game this early I’m in years

14 is a little low for Matador but it should be doable if you buy the Magatama that gives wind immunity and have access to Rakukaja and Sukukaja.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

14 is a little low for Matador but it should be doable if you buy the Magatama that gives wind immunity and have access to Rakukaja and Sukukaja.

I was trying to get by with tarunda and sukunda before realizing he clears debuffs. I should switch magatama too I was using the Physical one. I saw the easy win is to fuse a level 18 demon but maybe I’ll try a couple more times without it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was trying to get by with tarunda and sukunda before realizing he clears debuffs. I should switch magatama too I was using the Physical one. I saw the easy win is to fuse a level 18 demon but maybe I’ll try a couple more times without it

It's definitely doable in that zone, 18 is just easymode. If you have Raku/Sukukaja, those are the two non-negotiable skills

Dark Might also helps a lot

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I beat Matador via the power of Dark Might and it made me appreciate how finicky the moon phases are to work around.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dark Might is really the MVP of my playthrough so far

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm finally feeling like I'm gonna go through SMT1 and 2, and I got that GBA version with the official English script.

It's just, besides the outdated gameplay, I was always turned off by what I heard of the fan translation. And so SMT1 having a real one is great. But that still leaves 2 with the lovely one, and everyone says SMT2 is like Persona 2 in it's the really amazing classic. I don't want my appreciation or understanding of the story ruined by a lovely translation.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 29, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Where have you heard that? I thought it was generally accepted, and my own opinion is the same that SMT1 has a much stronger story.

Although if you lean more Sci Fi than contemporary urban fantasy you might prefer 2.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

For me, the thing I really like about the SMT series is the way that Press Turns and elemental weaknesses force you to engage with the game's systems and really plan out fights in advanced, so it's hard for me to get really invested in the games that don't have that. People tell me to just play through P2 with cheat codes but at that point I might as well just watch an LP

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Where have you heard that? I thought it was generally accepted, and my own opinion is the same that SMT1 has a much stronger story.

Although if you lean more Sci Fi than contemporary urban fantasy you might prefer 2.

Just my impression from talking about SMT or reading posts about it for a few years. If there's a discussion about SMT stories or alignments, SMT2 comes up a lot. I don't know much about it but I still know far more about it than 1 just because it comes up (comparatively) a lot.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

For me, the thing I really like about the SMT series is the way that Press Turns and elemental weaknesses force you to engage with the game's systems and really plan out fights in advanced, so it's hard for me to get really invested in the games that don't have that. People tell me to just play through P2 with cheat codes but at that point I might as well just watch an LP

P2's gameplay sucks so it's hard to recommend people play it. On the other hand, there is so much NPC dialogue you will miss just watching an LP, to say nothing of the personal satsfaction of fighting a certain final boss. I also love IS and don't like EP that much.

It's quite the qundary.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

P2 has my favourite battle music too but at least you can enjoy that without playing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX1ZqSmxRe0

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Does Estoma even do anything in this game?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Spermando posted:

In my experience yes it does reduce random encounters. It's not 100% effective but it does make traversing lower level areas a lot less of a hassle.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

lol the demi fiend is doing that dance from the joker

you mean joker did demi fiend's dance.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Spermando posted:

I think it's also only effective against encounters that are lower level than the user? If you're underleveled for the area you're in it might not have much effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I think it's also only effective against encounters that are lower level than the user? If you're underleveled for the area you're in it might not have much effect.

Yep. Isn't that how it always works? That was how it worked in Persona 2 as well.

Why I hate Tower of Kagutsuchi so much. Even if you are high Level 80s or so, you cannot escape battles because there is one or two enemies they will pair with lower level enemies to ensure you get dragged into a battle while you try to figure out that teleporter maze.

Random observation: One reason I think Matador was harder for me originally was I did not comprehend the power of...normal attacks. Normal, simple physical attacks will be useful and viable all the way to the end of Nocturne. That's so incredibly different from Persona or even other Press Turn games like Apocalypse.

I put no points into Str all game and I still could do 100+ damage by the end, and even your mages like Uzume will be able to backhand Matador for decent damage.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 29, 2021