Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

EMCF posted:

Hey, I'm getting kinda tired of waiting for GPUs to become available and reasonable priced, noticed this prebuild:

https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ali490/p/N82E16883360085

Is it worth the money? I just want to play pretty game, 4k would be nice but I know the 3060 may limit me. I have another hardrive I can install so the small storage doesn't matter. Would appreciate any thoughts!

I'm in a similar situation where I'm thinking of buying a pre-built just to poach the GPU(FE 3090) and resell it with my current GPU(Zotac 1080). If any of you guys are interested in that possible Frankenstein let me know so I can get started on that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

interrodactyl posted:

I have a question that's a little more off the beaten path. I want to share a bunch of peripherals between my Mac and my PC, given my work from home setup, and I want to switch as few wires as possible. However, I'm trying to power a lot of stuff, so a normal USB switch doesn't seem like it'll work.

My plan is to add a TB3 card to my PC, which is using the Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO mobo: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qXBhP6/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-aorus-pro

This is a sketch of the setup I'm considering. Note that the dock doesn't support 144hz so I'm connecting the monitor using two cables and manually switching the input on the monitor, since I'm gaming on my PC.

So two primary questions here:

1. Anything seem especially crazy about this? Is there an easier to way to accomplish this?
2. Any recommendations on a TB3 PCIe card I can throw into my PC? Should I just get the cheapest one?

So, I have pretty much the exact same setup as you. My work computer is a Macbook Pro, and my gaming computer is a PC. I had thought about doing the thunderbolt addon card for my PC as well, but came up with something better with just USB 3.0:

I have this 2x4 USB 3.0 Switch from Monoprice (check pricing on Amazon for this same model, it might be cheaper there). The following peripherals are connected:
- Mechanical keyboard
- Streamdeck
- Camlink 4K
- Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 Audio Interface

The other side is connected to the PC via USB-A 3.0 directly, and to the Macbook Pro with USB-A 3.0 into my Thunderbolt 3 dock.

I use this cross-platform rust app called display-switch, which detects when the USB hub is connected or disconnected to each computer when the input on the USB switch is changed. It then sends a corresponding input change command to my two monitors based on which computer I'm connected to. For the PC, they both use displayport directly from my GPU, and for the Macbook, its HDMI via USB-C->HDMI cables running from the thunderbolt ports.

In this manner, I can switch everything over depending on which computer I'm using. And with that app, the hub also acts as a pseudo-KVM (real KVMs that actually switch video signals are $TEXAS)

The only peripherals that I keep separate are a mouse for the PC and a magic trackpad for the Macbook. Otherwise, everything is shared.

There are cheaper 2x4 USB switches, but the nice thing about the Monoprice one is that it is 3.0, so it supports higher speed peripherals like the CamLink, and the switch button is detached, so I can keep the actual wiring mounted underneath my desk and keep my desktop relatively tidy

The switch button for the USB switch is just to the right of the streamdeck, within easy reach:

Given that you look to be running very similar peripherals to me, and are only plugging in three or four things, I don't see why this setup wouldn't work for you too

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 26, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Want to also add that if the monitor is the only tricky part, just run two cables and run the mac/pc off different inputs. Pretty much any modern monitor has 2xHDMI+

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

This is brilliant, thank you. Will try it out and see how it goes.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

MisterAlex posted:

Goootcha. Well, then in that case, I guess it'll be the 3070—once I can manage to find one. 😅
Thanks!

To put it in context, I recently sold my 5700xt that I bought new for £350 for £800 plus shipping.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Does anyone need this?

Edit: Gone.

Joiny fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2021

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Friend is about to buy a used desktop for 1400€ since...well, he has no other options. Originally built in 2018 apparently.

i7 8700k
ASUS ROG STRIX 2080 Ti GAMING OC
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
+ an unhooked equivalent SSD
Corsair 750 MX PSU
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
Some form of Antec Define case

He's planning to play "mostly non-triple A" games in 1440P. Seller has posted screencaps of Furmark, hwinfo, pictures of the innards and the results don't seem to raise any red flags. Short of a personal demo to make sure the thing works and general safety anything that raises red flags or whether this is a bad purchasing decision? His current PC is a lovely laptop that can't pretty much run anything.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Hello can you help me choose a cooler for my case? Got this one https://www.amazon.com/APEXGAMING-Gaming-CASE-F601-Lightning/dp/B08CMPGVJM?currency=CLP&language=en_US
According to the specs in the Amazon page it says "Support 157mm CPU". That's the maximum size for the cooler right? If so, what coolers not larger than that would you recommend to cool a 5600x? Been using the stock cooler so far.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Is Bluetooth support built in standard with current wifi 6 adapters? Or included with Intel's ax200 and the like?

I definitely want Bluetooth and wifi built into my next motherboard, and I was having trouble determining if Bluetooth was a standard feature in motherboards these days.

I was looking at the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WI-FI primarily.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tech specs say it doesn't have bluetooth. That's weird I thought wifi and bt were always intertwined.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Copper Vein posted:

Is Bluetooth support built in standard with current wifi 6 adapters? Or included with Intel's ax200 and the like?

I definitely want Bluetooth and wifi built into my next motherboard, and I was having trouble determining if Bluetooth was a standard feature in motherboards these days.

I was looking at the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WI-FI primarily.

The ASUS B550 ROG Strix F with wifi has bluetooth built in, but it is $30 more.

South
Apr 9, 2001

My parts before the build a few weeks ago. Not pictured is the EVGA 1070 that pulled from my old pc. I'll post the final build after I clean off my desk and do some cable management.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Otakufag posted:

Hello can you help me choose a cooler for my case? Got this one https://www.amazon.com/APEXGAMING-Gaming-CASE-F601-Lightning/dp/B08CMPGVJM?currency=CLP&language=en_US
According to the specs in the Amazon page it says "Support 157mm CPU". That's the maximum size for the cooler right? If so, what coolers not larger than that would you recommend to cool a 5600x? Been using the stock cooler so far.

Scythe mugen 5 or fuma 2

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Otakufag posted:

I like that you’re asking again after 6 months.

Did you get a Fuma 2 back then? Or something else? Or did you just give up for a while?

Frankly, that case looks like a cooling nightmare and a CPU cooler might not be your issue.

What are all the parts you have now (including cooler), and what are your temps (CPU, GPU)?

Why do you want a different cooler, and what’s your budget?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

South posted:

My parts before the build a few weeks ago. Not pictured is the EVGA 1070 that pulled from my old pc. I'll post the final build after I clean off my desk and do some cable management.

I hope you made sure to install the beer directly on the mobo

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I like that you’re asking again after 6 months.

Did you get a Fuma 2 back then? Or something else? Or did you just give up for a while?

Frankly, that case looks like a cooling nightmare and a CPU cooler might not be your issue.

What are all the parts you have now (including cooler), and what are your temps (CPU, GPU)?

Why do you want a different cooler, and what’s your budget?

I gave up due to covid but now was able to get a 3070 so I wanted to get the rest components up to date. Why is it a cooling nightmare? Is that case that bad?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope you made sure to install the beer directly on the mobo

If I ever make a custom water loop, you bet your rear end it's getting filled with whiskey.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Otakufag posted:

I gave up due to covid but now was able to get a 3070 so I wanted to get the rest components up to date. Why is it a cooling nightmare? Is that case that bad?

From the picture it looks like most of the front is covered so that only one of the three fan slots really does anything. Though I'm thinking if you just add a couple exhaust 120mm fans and the FUMA cooler it will be fine.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

So apparently, I have the worst luck in the world, because this PC that I built a year and a half ago is starting to randomly bluescreen on me. link I say "worst luck" because my last build from 2013 also did this and it turned out to be the motherboard in the end.

Anyway, after some attempts at diagnostics and visits to a PC repair shop, I came to the realization that if I'm going to start replacing parts, I had the bright idea that the parts I would get would be better than what I had before. The thing is, my computer has changed from being something I mostly played games on and noodled around on hobby projects with to my gamedev breadwinner that I spend 95% of my time in Visual Studio waiting for C++ to compile.

My primary concern is core count. I've often maxed out my CPU usage while compiling and I would love to be able to throw more cores at my builds. Hard drive space - I don't think that 1TB is enough for me. RAM, 16GB is okay, but I often use around 11GB from having two user accounts open with two copies of Visual Studio and Firefox. If there's a downgrade candidate, video card would be it - I don't play many AAA games at all and I would actually be happy with something that MSRP'ed at $200~250 or so, as long as it was reliable. Obviously the GPU market being what it is might make that tricky, but if I replaced all the other parts first and it turned out to be a GPU issue by process of elimination I suppose at least I know what it is at that point.

I'm in the USA, and I want to throw around $1000 at this upgrade/fix. I also want to keep my case and PSU. Recommendations?

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 28, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
That's a tough budget in this market. Do you or a friend have any old GPUs laying around that you can test to eliminate the graphics card? Can you run any stress tests for specific components to see if one of those exposes the culprit? Like maybe a specific component is overheating under load? Have you tried a fresh install of windows?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Unboxing Day posted:

So apparently, I have the worst luck in the world, because this PC that I built a year and a half ago is starting to randomly bluescreen on me. link I say "worst luck" because my last build from 2013 also did this and it turned out to be the motherboard in the end.

Anyway, after some attempts at diagnostics and visits to a PC repair shop, I came to the realization that if I'm going to start replacing parts, I had the bright idea that the parts I would get would be better than what I had before. The thing is, my computer has changed from being something I mostly played games on and noodled around on hobby projects with to my gamedev breadwinner that I spend 95% of my time in Visual Studio waiting for C++ to compile.

My primary concern is core count. I've often maxed out my CPU usage while compiling and I would love to be able to throw more cores at my builds. Hard drive space - I don't think that 1TB is enough for me. RAM, 16GB is okay, but I often use around 11GB from having two user accounts open with two copies of Visual Studio and Firefox. If there's a downgrade candidate, video card would be it - I don't play many AAA games at all and I would actually be happy with something that MSRP'ed at $200~250 or so, as long as it was reliable. Obviously the GPU market being what it is might make that tricky, but if I replaced all the other parts first and it turned out to be a GPU issue by process of elimination I suppose at least I know what it is at that point.

I'm in the USA, and I want to throw around $1000 at this upgrade/fix. I also want to keep my case and PSU. Recommendations?

If you know you need cores it might be worth looking for a used 3900x on eBay, you can find them for about the price of a 5800x (~$350-$400) and gets you 4 more cores/8 more threads (12c/24t) with similar clock speeds and will drop into your current board fine. Add another $60 for a decent air cooler (Scythe Mugen or Fuma 2), you can try picking up another pair of the same RAM as your existing build and see if they'll play nice with your current sticks under XMP. That'd get you most of the way there for about $550. 2TB SSDs are about $200 for SATA, $230-$260 for NVMe (Crucial P2 - WD SN550).

If you did need a new board you can grab an MSI B550 PRO-VDH for about $110. So assuming the GPU isn't the source of the blue screens it's doable for about $700-$850. If it is the GPU then there's the whole budget.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

MonkeyFit posted:

That's a tough budget in this market.

I can spend more, but I was hoping that I would find the issue before I replaced every single part. Frankly, the machine I have is good enough, but if I'm going to start replacing parts I figure I might as well upgrade, starting with the CPU/Mobo, the SSD, RAM, then finally the GPU.

quote:

Do you or a friend have any old GPUs laying around that you can test to eliminate the graphics card? Can you run any stress tests for specific components to see if one of those exposes the culprit? Like maybe a specific component is overheating under load? Have you tried a fresh install of windows?

The PC repair place ran Furmark to test my GPU, and I ran 8 passes of memtest to test my RAM. I also reinstalled Windows. The BSOD's I get don't point to any driver repeatedly, and the hard freezes usually transition over to a DPC Watchdog error. Given that it's random and occasional, it reminds me a lot of my motherboard issues in my last build (although I never got BSOD's on my last build, it just hard-froze all the time until I replaced the mobo).

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 28, 2021

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Quick peripheral question: I have need of a desk microphone and figured ya'll might have some suggestions. Something under $50 that uses a standard 3.5mm jack and also doesn't completely suck despite being on the cheaper side. Everything I'm looking at so far is USB and I'd rather just use the line in jack on my sound card.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Fabulousity posted:

Quick peripheral question: I have need of a desk microphone and figured ya'll might have some suggestions. Something under $50 that uses a standard 3.5mm jack and also doesn't completely suck despite being on the cheaper side. Everything I'm looking at so far is USB and I'd rather just use the line in jack on my sound card.

If you want to go that cheap just get a bluetooth dongle and some wireless ear buds, poo poo works great. I almost never use my desktop mic since I've started using the earbuds. Bluetooth dongles are 12 dollars, and some cheap earbuds are 20-30 bucks or more if you want something nicer.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

LifeSunDeath posted:

If you want to go that cheap just get a bluetooth dongle and some wireless ear buds, poo poo works great. I almost never use my desktop mic since I've started using the earbuds. Bluetooth dongles are 12 dollars, and some cheap earbuds are 20-30 bucks or more if you want something nicer.

I already have a set of headphones so I'm covered there, just need the speaky speaky part.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Condenser Recording Microphone 3.5mm Plug and Play PC Mic, Studio Broadcast Music Microphone for Computer Desktop Laptop MAC Windows Online Chatting Podcast YouTube/Gaming/Streaming/Recording https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VF3FYSB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JJA214BCQWWT05Q0NDZ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have this (it’s predecessor, really) and I’ve had it for years before I bought a complete headset. If you have Amazon prime it’s only :10bux: and I never really thought about quality of the sound because I don’t use a microphone when I talk to myself. If you don’t have prime it’s like $20 or so, and you already have earphones so that’s a win!

South
Apr 9, 2001

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-F...Y2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

This is what I have. It's well made and sounds great when recording. The build quality feels much better than the $80+ Razer Seiren mic that my parents got me this last Christmas(I returned it for a gift card).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can someone give me an opinion on this spec?

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 Watt
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12-Core - 3.7GHz to 4.8GHz (280mm liquid cool)
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) - 3200MHz
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB (AMD brand)
Crucial P2 1TB - M.2 SSD - PCI Express
Win10 Pro
Case, fans, etc.

$4117

This is from Falcon, so I'm not sure how much is the build markup vs the supply chain markup. For the video card, I can get a founders edition 3080 for $70 more, but I'm not that familiar with the head-to-head performance of the two.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

no

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I want to rebuild my current PC in the NZXT H210 or similar ITX case, just one problem: I'm going to have to source an ITX MOBO with built-in Wifi and Bluetooth, right? I only just realized that the cases I'm looking at only have 2 free slots on the back.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
From what I've seen, ITX mobos are much more likely to have inbuilt WiFi and Bluetooth, presumably for exactly that reason

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:hmmyes:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So, to answer my question, what part of it is build markup and which part is supply markup?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
$1,500 over what MSRP should be?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
to be a bit more constructive yeah that's a sharp markup if that's USD, although i'm not as familiar with ultrapremium components as some just some back of the napkin math at rrp leaves that very very sharp. from a performance standpoint (and also from a financial standpoint) you want the 3080 but - you could half your corecount and ram without having almost any game impact at all above 1440p and more or less marginal at 1080 - you'd need like a beast of a monitor for it tho. the uh, 5000 series from ryzen gets the most performance out of 3600 memory or better although 3200 will be fine.

jesus gently caress me christ that is a £500 motherboard lmao - so i would only recommend this if you had some concrete productivity use for that much horsepower and i have to imagine you can do better than ouch 4.1 grand they'd better have one hell of a service package to justify that markup. if you're building a showcase piece i imagine a 3090 is more swag than that chip but your mileage may vary.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4zdGTJ - I had to bump the CPU up to 16 cores from your 12 because there was no price available for the 12, and the motherboard is a "Hero" rather than a "Dark Hero", I don't know what difference that makes, the very short spec was the same. It's basically same price for what you said, but with a better CPU, I don't know what the price difference is between those CPUs. I also didn't include the "case/fans" which would add maybe $90 if you're sensible or $200 if you're silly.

The $2000 GPU and $1000 CPU seem ridiculous to me though. Apparently MSRP for that GPU is/was $649.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So it’s basically a reasonably price considering the market price for the components.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, no the chip in particular is ridiculously marked up, the 3080 GPU is much closer to market conditions, sorta? there's a gigantic price difference at least in this country between a 6700xt and a 3080 which is very puzzling they're only charging 70 bucks if that was the reasoning?

you can for sure find cheaper elsewhere but again, it might be that the service package makes sense for your usecase.

e: sorry rereading that it might be unclear - you absolutely can walk into a store and buy that CPU at or close to RRP which is £500ish here, it's really only the GPU that is still so constrained.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 29, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PRADA SLUT posted:

So it’s basically a reasonably price considering the market price for the components.

If I bought similar components and then purchased a scalped eBay 3080FE for $2300 and a 5600x (because the 5900x confers less than 1% difference in games) then I could still slap everything together for around $1000 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you just looking for some over the top PC and don't care much about cost? I would consider a Corsair One in the $4,000 range if you like powerful components in a customized smaller frame. That Falcon is mostly just off-the-shelf parts that makes it less special.