Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nitrox posted:

I was under impression that bed covers do absolutely nothing for aerodynamics and mileage. Do you know different?

The Silverado XFE came with a factory soft bed cover to game the EPA ratings.

I'm sure if it made a meaningful difference, ford would include one standard here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nitrox posted:

I was under impression that bed covers do absolutely nothing for aerodynamics and mileage. Do you know different?

I remember hearing something that it was the trucks that took off the solid tail gate for either nothing or a mesh/"grid" tailgate that got worse aero/mileage, because with the solid tailgate it forms a vortex or something that actually smooths the airflow or some counter intuitive thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

priznat posted:

I remember hearing something that it was the trucks that took off the solid tail gate for either nothing or a mesh/"grid" tailgate that got worse aero/mileage, because with the solid tailgate it forms a vortex or something that actually smooths the airflow or some counter intuitive thing.
I have edited my original post to include this link.

https://youtu.be/r3aqHbD-O9E

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

McTinkerson posted:

Have we discussed the body swap options of the Lightning yet? Since it's body on frame, any vehicle that has a similar enough wheelbase can use the lightning frame. So what Pre 1950's vehicles have a wheelbase around 145"? Any 40's Buicks?

Scout is 166". I'm all ready to find a wrecked lightning and do this swap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AhhYes posted:

Yeah apparently the EPA ratings they're advertising are with 1000lbs in the bed, so he thinks an empty long range F-150 could get in the 400-450 range.

That's pretty great.

I can't believe I'm actively considering buying an F-150.
doesn't weight only have a small impact on range, since most kinetic energy will be recovered and rolling resistance losses are relatively tiny? Seems weird they'd do this, either it makes no difference or they're advertising significantly lower range than people will experience since nobody is actually moving that much stuff 99% of the time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Edit: https://youtu.be/r3aqHbD-O9E

Huh. Not what I expected.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went on a road trip today in an I-Pace through some lovely blooming orchard country.

Stopped to pick out a pebble from the tire tread here, because the TCHK TCHK TCHK was interfering with the birdsong and gentle hum of the car. I love going on scenic drives in EVs.

I'll risk img instead of timg even though my phone camera sucks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have not a lot of doubt the Cybertruk will come out in some form once the Texas plant opens but I still got this huge question of .... what exact crash safety standards are they working with for that thing? I dont see how it'll pass any frontal or offset. So much of that just doesnt seem to obey any design rules so what gives?

The answer would be.... there are no design rules for a truck so gently caress it?

I mean there's no design rules for concept cars, no. But like if they actually intend on selling the thing as shown then they're probably going to struggle getting it past NCAP Euro standards. If the steel bodywork is as strong as they like to suggest it is (and isn't as weak as their bulletproof glass :v: ) then the thing is going to be interesting in the crash testing.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

According to Reddit, someone with a 2018 model 3 said automatic high beams must be enabled to use autopilot now that Tesla Vision is a thing. That blows.

I feel like this no radar thing is becoming increasingly a misstep. Assuming that it's actually a supplier issue, hoping Tesla keeps an option to have one installed later.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean there's no design rules for concept cars, no. But like if they actually intend on selling the thing as shown then they're probably going to struggle getting it past NCAP Euro standards. If the steel bodywork is as strong as they like to suggest it is (and isn't as weak as their bulletproof glass :v: ) then the thing is going to be interesting in the crash testing.

Why would it need to pass NCAP?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can't imagine many people would want to buy a car with something like a 0 star Euro NCAP rating. Or maybe truck buyers don't care?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

According to Reddit, someone with a 2018 model 3 said automatic high beams must be enabled to use autopilot now that Tesla Vision is a thing. That blows.

I feel like this no radar thing is becoming increasingly a misstep. Assuming that it's actually a supplier issue, hoping Tesla keeps an option to have one installed later.

I have a 2019 Model 3 with auto high beams disabled, and I can still use autopilot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Westy543 posted:

That's bullshit from Reddit, they didn't retroactively disable radars on cars that have them. But the no radar thing is a misstep yeah. If it's Elon rolling with the supplier punches, it means that it wasn't intended, it wasn't something that's been developed for a while. So the current state will obviously be rushed. It means that there is a high water mark Model 3, a sharp peak at that. The one with hitch, heated steering wheel, heatpump and radar.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I'd just prefer they fix this before September when I'll be taking delivery. It's not a huge deal if not, autopilot wasn't really something I considered when placing the order, but having it only act like this isn't great.

I'm glad they're not disabling old radars at least.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

I can't imagine many people would want to buy a car with something like a 0 star Euro NCAP rating. Or maybe truck buyers don't care?

They haven't outright come and said it, but I strongly strongly believe the cybertruck is only planned on being sold in the NA market because of things like this

And as someone who wanted/still wants a Tesla, this Tesla Vision thing feels like a massive mistake, especially now that Ford is now making some IMO super compelling options (I previously really wanted an Explorer, and if the E-Xplorer is good, I could probably be persuaded to get that instead of a Model Y in the future). The time to screw up on implementing stuff in an EV for Tesla was 5 years ago, not now when the Blue Oval is making big moves on electric.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ola posted:

That's bullshit from Reddit, they didn't retroactively disable radars on cars that have them. But the no radar thing is a misstep yeah. If it's Elon rolling with the supplier punches, it means that it wasn't intended, it wasn't something that's been developed for a while. So the current state will obviously be rushed. It means that there is a high water mark Model 3, a sharp peak at that. The one with hitch, heated steering wheel, heatpump and radar.

A lot of car manufacturers are cutting electronics out of their models, or making them not part of the default sku with the semiconductor shortages the world is seeing. While this is obviously unfortunate, pretty much all manufactures are going to be doing something like this until the silicon makers can expand production enough to keep up with demand, which is expected to take a year or two.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok, I've been in at the VW dealer again. They're passing through the $7500 tax credit on leases. If you run the numbers on a 10,000 mi/yr 36mo lease and assume you buy it out at the end of the lease, the price appears to be essentially the same as just buying it outright... of course I was sitting there on the salesman's iPad, logged in as him playing with the numbers so I don't have all the values handy here, but my wife, my brother-in-law, and I all came to agreement on that point.

Somebody tell me why I should buy, rather than get a lease and, presuming I don't loving hate the thing, buy it out at the end? I've never leased in my life.

Yes I know I posted about buy vs. lease last week but everybody got all derailed explaining how the sales guy was a dumbass who doesn't understand tax credits and I didn't see any opinions about lease vs. buy

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok, I've been in at the VW dealer again. They're passing through the $7500 tax credit on leases. If you run the numbers on a 10,000 mi/yr 36mo lease and assume you buy it out at the end of the lease, the price appears to be essentially the same as just buying it outright... of course I was sitting there on the salesman's iPad, logged in as him playing with the numbers so I don't have all the values handy here, but my wife, my brother-in-law, and I all came to agreement on that point.

Somebody tell me why I should buy, rather than get a lease and, presuming I don't loving hate the thing, buy it out at the end? I've never leased in my life.

Yes I know I posted about buy vs. lease last week but everybody got all derailed explaining how the sales guy was a dumbass who doesn't understand tax credits and I didn't see any opinions about lease vs. buy

My understanding is that right now everything's insane and whatever you've heard about buying vs. leasing doesn't apply.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
A few months ago I asked a question about leasing and got a tremendous response from forums user particle9. So, instead of trying to paraphrase what they said I’ll just quote it in full!

particle9 posted:

Caveat... things right now are very strange. Strange voodoo!

Leases even in normal times are not "bad". They are actually pretty good. They are only "bad" if you are someone with limited predictable income or if rates are going down considerably. If you decide to lease instead of buy (and I'll assume you aren't a moron and know how to lease well, aka not get ripped off at the dealer) then you can expect to pay around a $100 a month premium over the cost of buying and selling offset depreciation.

Essentially leasing lets you get the latest cars every three years, the latest safety, you own the car during its most trouble free maintenance covered period for on average $100 more a month (around $1000 a year). So if you lease vs buy over 10 years you can expect to be deeper in the hole $10k vs if you had bought something and driven it into the ground and not had any costly maintenance. I think you would have to agree that isn't a very bad proposition. You are protected against depreciation, major repair, and you are safer and you get all the new features of which are many as of late (edit: this kind of glosses over that you will be paying higher fees to the DMV probably/insurance/etc due to a higher MSRP all the time, but still, it's not a big deal and is mitigated somewhat by not having to pay full sales tax).

So why would you buy? Well... rate right now are between 1.5-4%. That is loving insane. Government in the right circumstances will cut you a $7,500 check to buy a certain car. Insane. So if you were to finance given a 2.5% rate or lower you would be advantaged right now because you can put very little down, finance over a very long time (72 months) and pay very very little in interest. Combine that with tax and ev rebates and you get a kind of crazy perfect storm. Combine that with chip shortages and cars costing so much for the last decade and used cars are holding value. This can land you on the extreme upside of the depreciation calculation and make that $1000 a year premium for leasing turn into something else through lack of depreciation.

BUT! If you lease and your car doesn't depreciate like it should you can just go sell it before the lease is up and pocket the difference!

So... why do people buy Tesla then? Well... that is kind of a hosed up situation. They do not offer you the lowest rate to finance. I think it's closer to like 4%. That rate is not as good as financing through a bank. They pocket that money. They do not let you sell/buy the car at the end of the lease. Uh-oh... you can not recapture depreciation or lack there of. They seem to be holding their value well which makes the depreciation curve messed up and favors buying.

TLDR; lease everything but a Tesla! If I had more sense I would wait for the Q4, lease that poo poo from the dealer at the end of the year and wait out this cluster gently caress in three years. Dealers can set residual and game tax credits to offer insanely low lease deals right now. Why would you not lease? Well... I guess if you thought rates were about to spike to 6-8%? If you feel like inflation is around the corner and your debts will be worth pennies in the near future? You have to be really financially frugal and really happy to drive something into the dirt to think leasing isn't a great option if you live in the USA IMO.

I am also not smart so this is just what I think and you can tell me why I'm wrong and I won't listen probably.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

Plus their radar system can bounce the beam under the car in front of you to see two cars ahead. I've seen a Youtube video of that feature in action, hitting the brakes in response to a car slowing down that neither Tesla Vision nor a human driver would have seen and potentially avoiding a crash.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I actually had that happen to me one time. Car slammed on the brakes, I had no clue why, so I overrode it... only to then slam on the brakes and swerve into the other lane (I saw it was clear). That poo poo works, but I wasn't ready to trust it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
AEB is going to become mandatory for trucks here next year I think, and seeimg this happen a few days ago that seems like a good idea

https://i.imgur.com/Wa8PqEf.mp4

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Cockmaster posted:

Plus their radar system can bounce the beam under the car in front of you to see two cars ahead. I've seen a Youtube video of that feature in action, hitting the brakes in response to a car slowing down that neither Tesla Vision nor a human driver would have seen and potentially avoiding a crash.

That exact situation happened to us on the freeway in our Model 3, saved us from a potentially serious accident. There was no way Vision would've been able to do the same thing as there was an Escalade in front of us. Vision alone has so many downsides and many of them I've experienced firsthand with the crazy variety of weather in Canada.

I'm really unhappy with the decision, vision with no redundancy seems like a dead end and the safety features were part of our purchase decision, radar was literally advertised on the purchase page even. They claim the software switch over will happen in the few weeks and then I'll possibly have a pointless radar that they remotely disabled in my paid for, on the road car. I don't know because getting info from Tesla is impossible since they fired the PR department.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One thing's for sure: Tesla is a weird company.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

someone should do an ultra-light fiberglass slide-in that uses the truck's battery for everything

truck cap and inflatable mattress. Done!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

AEB is going to become mandatory for trucks here next year I think, and seeimg this happen a few days ago that seems like a good idea

https://i.imgur.com/Wa8PqEf.mp4

Yikes.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

priznat posted:

A friend posted this, I’m not up on the cybertruck specs, what is being hidden or changed as this seems too fanboyish to me

But no $7500 rebate for the Cyber.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Really hope Tesla doesn't do anything stupid like disable the radar-based AEB on cars that already have them with a software update. I don't really care about autopilot since i hardly use it already due to lack of trust and I've been quite happy with the car as is. Doing something like that would definitely mean I wouldn't ever buy a Tesla again, though.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

VideoGameVet posted:

But no $7500 rebate for the Cyber.

The cyber truck also starts as rear wheel drive, right? That seems to be suspiciously absent from the picture haha

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
EV6 first edition pricing is up for the us....for 58.5k

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Welp f150 it is.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Welp f150 it is.

I mean if you're going to order a fully loaded f150 you're going to get reamed too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gwrtheyrn posted:

This first edition is like the maxed out model and they're only making 1,500. Hopefully the base model isn't near that!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This first edition is like the maxed out model and they're only making 1,500. Hopefully the base model isn't near that!

Ah my bad. I thought they were starting with more base level models first.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm really unhappy with the decision, vision with no redundancy seems like a dead end and the safety features were part of our purchase decision, radar was literally advertised on the purchase page even. They claim the software switch over will happen in the few weeks and then I'll possibly have a pointless radar that they remotely disabled in my paid for, on the road car. I don't know because getting info from Tesla is impossible since they fired the PR department.

They're leaving the radar in the Model S and X, so I doubt they'd go so far as to turn yours off. Hopefully this is only a temporary thing in response to the semiconductor shortage.

And now it seems Tesla is experimenting with LIDAR after Elon Musk poo-pooed it, though technically they may just be using it to test and refine their vision algorithms:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/24/22451404/tesla-luminar-lidar-elon-musk-autonomous-vehicles

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Really hope Tesla doesn't do anything stupid like disable the radar-based AEB on cars that already have them with a software update. I don't really care about autopilot since i hardly use it already due to lack of trust and I've been quite happy with the car as is. Doing something like that would definitely mean I wouldn't ever buy a Tesla again, though.
I doubt it, or even if they do it will be long after the vision system has proven superior.

The way I see it, this is basically moving from autopilot 2.x to autopilot 3.x. Back when they moved from 1.x to 2.x initially it was a downgrade/decline in functionality, but now 2.x is unquestionably superior to 1.x. It is probably going to take months worth of updates, but eventually all the safety and convenience features will be back better than they were before. Give it some time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Indiana_Krom posted:

I doubt it, or even if they do it will be long after the vision system has proven superior.

The way I see it, this is basically moving from autopilot 2.x to autopilot 3.x. Back when they moved from 1.x to 2.x initially it was a downgrade/decline in functionality, but now 2.x is unquestionably superior to 1.x. It is probably going to take months worth of updates, but eventually all the safety and convenience features will be back better than they were before. Give it some time.

There is literally no way to replace radar with pure vision though. They are not interchangeable mechanisms.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

But my magic software

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
The nugget of truth in the bullshit is that our entire road infrastructure is built on visible light, not IR or Radar or LIDAR or anything else. No other input is required in principle to match what an attentive human can do, it's just a problem of effectively processing that input -- which we haven't solved yet and there are reasonable arguments to be made that it could be anywhere from 1 year to 100 years away. Radar or LIDAR can effect some shortcuts to detect e.g. relative velocity while video processing tech is struggling with that level of nuance over a series of frames, but there was always going to be a point where the accuracy of the two systems equalized and a switchover is warranted; I would be quite shocked if the camera-only system had gotten that far, but for all I know the radar one is actually really bad and we just don't hear about the 99% of the time that it's ineffective. I would love to see a trove of public data about it but Waymo and Tesla are unlikely to open source their systems any time soon, and that means anyone arguing about it is subconsciously pulling accuracy numbers out of their rear end when forming their opinions about it. Nobody actually knows if the end result is more or less likely to result in a preventable accident or affect the severity of one, and I can respect if someone is annoyed enough at the change being imposed without public data behind it to go with a different mfr instead, but I can't think of any other manufacturer that I would expect to actually release numbers for how accurate the radar-based AEB is in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, you can't replace radar with pure vision because they are very different things, but what if radar is actually kind of a rubbish sensor and having it isn't really that useful? I mean aren't there already enough examples of radar equipped Tesla vehicles crashing into stuff to convince most people that radar-based AEB doesn't do jack? Nobody should be trusting their lives with a system that has repeatedly failed to prevent a vehicle from crashing into trees, giant overturned trucks blocking most of the road, parked emergency vehicles on the shoulder, freeway barriers and other totally obvious things in clear weather that an attentive driver would have seen from a mile away.