Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Gamer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I never did figure out if "Capital G" was a reference to God or GW Bush. I guess knowing Reznor it's prolly both

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Why’s the G capitalized?
Well it's not SaGa in the first place (except in SaGa Frontier 1 and 2), it's Sa·Ga, so same reason as the Fantasy in Final Fantasy, it's capitalized because it's the start of a second word. Also Unlimited Saga is actually using the word Saga.

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 29, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Simone Magus posted:

I never did figure out if "Capital G" was a reference to God or GW Bush. I guess knowing Reznor it's prolly both

Rea·Gan

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Simone Magus posted:

G's is often a reference to multiples of $1000

this also connects with the double meaning of "capital" as a reference to money and capitalism instead of just meaning uppercase

thanks for coming to my tedx talk

ymgve fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 29, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
As I was talking to Harrow about jRPGs the other day, he recommended me starting with Dragon Quest XI instead of Persona5 as a more easily able to get into jRPG combat style game.

Having played a couple of hours of it today I can say it does live up to a nice easing sort of game. The art style is so vivid and sweet that I cannot help but grin (also the characters speaking with a Bristolian twang is always welcome!)

And everytime I got into a battle in the Tor I kept thinking "Oh no! A group of Harrows are attacking!" hehe.

I think it will be a game I can play in chunks and bits quite easily amongst my demons souls playthrough.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

VideoGames posted:

instead of Persona5

looks like i have a thing or 6 to say to harrow ....

https://i.imgur.com/zCKCsMy.mp4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hope we find a way of making the June thread title persona-related, good luck goons!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

I think it will be a game I can play in chunks and bits quite easily amongst my demons souls playthrough.

According to Tim Rogers, the DQ ritual is to play half an hour before bed on weeknights (with a glass of milk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTbUGItU0s&t=216s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

that's persona 3

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

I hope we find a way of making the June thread title persona-related, good luck goons!

Every day is still great in your June Chat Thread

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

Think of it this way. If I love jRPGs because of DQXI, then there is P5, P4, P3, P2 and all the personas in the world to play after :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Play atelier

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

June-pei's Believe It Or Don't

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

VideoGames posted:

As I was talking to Harrow about jRPGs the other day, he recommended me starting with Dragon Quest XI instead of Persona5 as a more easily able to get into jRPG combat style game.

Having played a couple of hours of it today I can say it does live up to a nice easing sort of game. The art style is so vivid and sweet that I cannot help but grin (also the characters speaking with a Bristolian twang is always welcome!)

And everytime I got into a battle in the Tor I kept thinking "Oh no! A group of Harrows are attacking!" hehe.

the real test will be whether you stick with it. there are plenty of jrpgs that charmed me in the opening hours, but i often lose interest by the time i'm set loose on the overworld.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rinkles posted:

the real test will be whether you stick with it. there are plenty of jrpgs that charmed me in the opening hours, but i often lose interest by the time i'm set loose on the overworld.

I am really hoping I do. So far my interest is greater than other times I have tried t play jRPGs. I really want to do my best and enjoy some of the best the genre can offer!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

VideoGames posted:

I really want to do my best and enjoy some of the best the genre can offer!

well, your first mistake is starting with dragon quest

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

well, your first mistake is starting with dragon quest

Poor harrow...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Ha! I told you to play it months ago, glad you'll finally do it!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If I am in any condition to play games after getting shot #2 this week, maybe I'll start DQXI, it seems like a "stay-in-bed" game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Play atelier

Which atelier? I forget if I have asked before.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ha! I told you to play it months ago, glad you'll finally do it!

I knew there was someone else who suggested it! I get so many recommendations that I lose track constantly :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

I knew there was someone else who suggested it! I get so many recommendations that I lose track constantly :)

I have a big post in the op of the thread. Hard to say for sure cause I don't know your rpg tastes

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Persona/SMT are weird entries to recommend as a first choice just because IMO, those are the best of the genre and it's gonna spoil some of the other games. Whenever anyone asks me for a "which order should I play these games in" I always suggest the worst ones first and ending with the best. In that sense, I don't think DQ11 is a bad game, but I do think it is mechanically very simple, so it's a good starting point before you go into like, Nocturne HD or some poo poo were if you're not always staying on top of party management it can mean you have to just sit down and get a good team which can take like, an hour or two depending on the boss you're prepping for

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

« Start with the worst » doesn’t seem like good advice IMO, we have a limited time on this planet Earth ...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Start with the worst is only good advice if you're somehow certain they'll power through it and get to the good ones

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CubeTheory posted:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, it was a long night.

First time going into Legend of Mana the biggest advice I can give is to not worry too much about missing things and just enjoy whatever is happening. You sort of create the world map as you play the game and the way that you create it and what order you do things in will determine what storylines and quests you see and going in blind you are definitely going to miss things. But the world is beautiful and bizarre and the music is fantastic, so don't sweat it too much. It's a game that lends itself to multiple playthroughs, much like Trials of Mana, so enjoy your first ride and maybe use a guide on subsequent plays to see everything you missed. There are a ton of optional systems in the game that get rolled out at different times, monster taming and golem crafting, spell building and weapon forging, and they're all incredibly deep and not explained super well, but also insanely unnecessary as the game isn't that hard, so don't worry too much about min-maxing them and just do whatever you think is cool, and then, again, read a guide later and see that if you put forge 117 different items into a sword in a precise order you can beat the final boss in half an a press or whatever.

This sounds like this is either going to be extremely our poo poo, or might trigger the worst of our FOMO anxiety. I'm hoping it's the former!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

« Start with the worst » doesn’t seem like good advice IMO, we have a limited time on this planet Earth ...

That's advice for people who are going to eventually do every game. I have an Atelier tier list for people who wanna try them all, but also somewhere in that list is "just start here the ones before this are just okay and not worth playing unless you end up loving the series"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
someone asks what order to play final fantasies in and I recommend mystic quest first

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

June: You'll never see it comin!

Boom easy next

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Even if I was absolutely certain that the recommendee would have the willpower and gamer fortitude to stick to a long-running series from start to finish, I would personally suggest the games be played chronologically instead of “worst -> best”. But this is all hypothetical, I know that there have been goons with projects like “play all of the Sonics” or “play all of the Castles Vania” but they seem fine without me telling them how to live their life, and none of us can help them anyway

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Virtual June, Virtual E3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

June is a hype month for me, Virtua Fighter 5 Remaster, and then Final Fantasy VII Remake DLC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

We slimes are very nefarious :devil:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

Even if I was absolutely certain that the recommendee would have the willpower and gamer fortitude to stick to a long-running series from start to finish, I would personally suggest the games be played chronologically instead of “worst -> best”. But this is all hypothetical, I know that there have been goons with projects like “play all of the Sonics” or “play all of the Castles Vania” but they seem fine without me telling them how to live their life, and none of us can help them anyway

Play all the Kirbys

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

According to Tim Rogers, the DQ ritual is to play half an hour before bed on weeknights (with a glass of milk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iTbUGItU0s&t=216s

My girlfriend and I did this with DQXI, just played a bit before bed each night like a nice little bedtime story game. It was nice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ymgve posted:

someone asks what order to play final fantasies in and I recommend mystic quest first

Starting with the worst was already mentioned

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I played Atelier Ayesha first and it was very nice. Not the same tone as Dragon Quest at all but it's also laid back and charming, in a more small town/getting to know the neighborhood sort of way.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think I'll finally get around to Atelier Ryza, I bought it on sale weeks ago and have been too busy with Mass Effect and Nier

Replicant is easy GOTY, maybe my literal favorite game now

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just mentioned Ryza in the SMT thread because I mentioned my JRPG pro-gamer strategy which is to totally ignore random fights until I hit a wall, and then just do fights in the highest-reward area available, which usually saves a lot of time. Ryza I did maybe ten fights the whole game before getting to the final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Loads shotgun* June's Haunted