Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C - Isolation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
A Federation. It makes sense the most from a technological perspective as well - we are behind the curve in many areas and we have few habitable planets - other branches of humanity have ones far more fitting to human life. It also means that thier fleets can complement our own, as can thier resources. Our navy is spread thin and is in no shape for offensive action. Nor is our army. We can perhaps protect our own borders.

Isolation means that any whom would be aggressive can have time to empower themselves while we are a generationb ehind the curve, and gives them more room to exploit superior economic areas by virtue of technology. We faced a superior adversary merely upon fighting pirates. A federation means more allies, more space, more resources, larger available forces, and greater technology.

We are the beacon of humanity. All that would join us would help us be that again. Those whom do not wish can tend to their own affairs and join us in time if they wish or become thier own entities.

Terraforming will take decades and that is with our imperfect understanding of the technologies. Our space habitats are not a true substitute for life on the planets. Our home is now the stars. We will defend our homes and from outside aggression, but we will not expand at the expense of those whom do not wish to join us but also do not seek to stop us.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
C - we cannot be reliant upon the Bastion alone to survive. Moreover, we cannot risk uprisings amongst the lowers. Rather than struggling against us, let them struggle to survive in the mists of Delta Pavonis as independent contractors of chartered colonial corporations.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Megadodo Publications and our partner the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation believe free trade and only a single government to lobby for decreased regulation is critical to the success of our Hitchhiking division, thus we support option A.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
For reference of the countries part of the Heigira that left before the Founding of the Bastion and shown in posts, in order:
China -> People's Imperial China/New Sichuan State/New Canton Republic
Russia -> Soko/Atroprom
America -> New American Federation
Britain (not encountered)
Africa -> United African Empire
Oceania (not encountered)
Scandinavia -> Scandinavian Union
Eastern Europe (maybe nor encountered)
Brazil (not encountered)
South America -> Patria Grande

Obviously this isn't only what nation-corps that will show up as we've seen, but there remains a possibility that these others might also appear in the future either alive, incorporated, subjugated, or dead.

Hopefully I didn't miss any.

As far as "named" planets there are:
Alpha Centauri IV -> New Phoenix
Alpha Centauri IVa -> New Cardiff
Delta Pavonis III -> New Omaha
Delta Pavonis IVa -> New Lagos
Tauzos IIa -> unnamed but compared to Nairobi

I don't think I missed any here either.

Edit: Fixed a thing re Columbia

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 29, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Republic of Colombia is a splinter from one of our earlier exploration vessels, Oceania is still undiscovered by us I believe

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
Brazil. Britain. Eastern Europe and Oceania are currently unaccounted for.

I was in fact just putting together some quick images of what each of the immediately-colonizable worlds within UN-space looked like, and gave names to the ones that hadn't yet recived one.
Tauzos IIa was discovered by the UN Columbia and is now within Republic of Columbian space so if off the table.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 29, 2021

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

The UN itself was a loose federation when it began, before WW3. We can't go against our founding documents. Space nations are still nations.

A

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Fred Meat here, CEO of Happy Burger Interstellar.

A reminder that right now we are more like the UN of the late 20th and early 21st century, mostly powerless and nearly totally ignored by these so-called governing bodies.

What we need is to make ourselves strong, make the others look at us and say, "Hey now, those are some real hoopy froods, I want to be their friends."

Not only should you all vote for Isolation, but I think it might be time for a name change as well. Are we really still the United Nations?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Which faction is pumping out the Space Marines?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

New this, new that; surely someone in Marketing can come up with some new names? What's the point of calling some place "New Cardiff" if "Old Cardiff" no longer exists for comparison?

If we're still voting, A because I'm hopeful the UN can stop being corporate villains and C because it's the practical thing to do.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A

quote:

Definitely A. We got Federation Builders who can rally against us and will do so as a united front. Also "colonizable" is a strong word for these planets.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

NullBlack posted:

New this, new that; surely someone in Marketing can come up with some new names? What's the point of calling some place "New Cardiff" if "Old Cardiff" no longer exists for comparison?

If we're still voting, A because I'm hopeful the UN can stop being corporate villains and C because it's the practical thing to do.

It's called branding

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
B if humanity wants to keep their unique and developed cultures they should figure out how to monetize them. For us.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

NullBlack posted:

Nostalgia sells.

I vote C - Isolation

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

C Ever since the first eruption at Yellowstone, the catalyst of Earth's destruction, we have searched for a new home for Humanity. System by system, we have found stars and planets of immense diversity. Yet not one can we call a perfect home for Humans. Not one where we can open the bay doors, breath the air, feel the wind, and feel content in calling home. No, we have found worlds where we sweat buckets, freeze our fingers off, poison us with its air, or diseases us with all sorts of unknown pathogens. A Human needs mechanical assistance living on these worlds, with no freedom to exist outside the safety of their habitat or survival suit. And for years, we have taken the wrong message in all of this. For years we have decided that, "no, we must find the perfect world to call home." That, "we only call The Bastion a temporary home until a permanent one is found." We are blinded by this hope, turned into misguided fools by a fairy tale. We must come to terms that there is no world like Earth anymore, that we will never find it.

But we can build a better one.

The Bastion is humanity's greatest achievement. A floating citadel that can hold the entirety of Earth's old population, sheltering all from the void of space. It withstood the destructive blast of earth and all the rubble threw our way. And now it is a center of commerce in a growing Human galaxy. It is our new home, our new Earth. And unlike Earth we can expand it. The worlds we inhabit provide the fuels and materials needed to expand The Bastion into a proper home for Humans. No more crowding, no more faulty systems, plenty of air and water. All can be ironed out, the problems built away.

And every world we own can be made into new Earths. Our habitation technology is much more advanced than any empire we have met. Not even the clones of Columbia with their precursor technology can claim to have superior habitats. Even Volcanic and Toxic worlds can be tamed and made into new homes for Humans to live in, in the safety of habitat cities. All the while, robots toil in the molten heats and blistering colds for Humanity.

A new Earth cannot be found. But new Earths can be built. We must abandon this fools dream and use what we know. Build a thousand new Earths I say.

DelilahFlowers fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 30, 2021

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

BTW awesome LP so far. Makes me wanna try a similar game with the kit you got running. I love the art, really pulls me into this hellscape of a world. do you take fanart as well? I've been meaning to do something creative.

kirsus
Oct 9, 2012

Buncha freaks. I'll kill you all. well you know, in theory #166

paarp
Lipstick Apathy
We at Ouroboros Genetics would love to vote for Option C, having an on planet setup to study alien fauna and flora in their natural environment would be incredibly valuable to us after all, we cannot in good conscience vote for it at this point in time.

It is our belief that if we spend our time on developing our territory or playing politics with the other states and getting involved with one war or another there that the New American Federation will plunge a dagger in our back and there won't be too much we can do about it. Judging from what we know so far the Americans have no other rivals out on the Rim and clearly hold a grudge against us while boasting of their naval power. There can be only one conclusion about which direction they intend to point that fleet.

Therefore, we believe that it is most prudent to meet this threat head on, and ensure the American's are not in a position to threaten us. We may be even to frame the war in such a way that paints us in a positive light if we can set up a protectorate nation for the Grammich in the aftermath of the war.

With this in mind we vote for B - Subjugation. America delanda est.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
The nerve of these muddwellers! And specially those from Patria Grande and extra specially from Nueva Argentina! Well, I'm from Buenos Aires and I say vassalize them all! B

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
C

And expand in the clockwise direction to avoid getting hemmed in completely

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
The modset has been updated and the post detailing it on the first page updated.

Bonus: Exodus Spotify playlist (attempt at finding themed music for each power, constantly being updated)

DelilahFlowers posted:

BTW awesome LP so far. Makes me wanna try a similar game with the kit you got running. I love the art, really pulls me into this hellscape of a world. do you take fanart as well? I've been meaning to do something creative.

Absolutely!

NullBlack posted:

Just placeholder names given by the explorers, names may change once our plucky settlers reach them.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

C let's make our own worlds

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Half of those human portraits sure are perky.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Vinny Delgado here, CEO of Jimbo's NeoVarmit Services. Our uplifted possums and raccoons do great work with their little hosed up hands installing your electronics, defusing bombs from the indy cartel wars, and slurpin' up them little insects. Please don't bother us with questions about animal cruelty or such nonsense, I can assure you that without us our critters would be hunted to extinction here on the station.

Anyway, JNV is votin' C. The way I sees it, why bring a bunch of anarchists, imperialists, and commies into out great project here? Let them do their dumb bullshit off in the stars while we bend our domain to our will.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019
A It's in the name guys c'mon, we are the United (space) Nations! Plus, think of all the new markets to sell to.

edipil
May 12, 2017

A - cooperation
Many of the surviving states of humanity like us, we must expand the UN into an even great organization of peaceful cooperation by establishing strong diplomatic ties with these friends.
With such a large union our borders will be secured and none will dare stand against us, lest they face the military might of the greatest union of nations humanity has seen.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

intro posted:

♫♫♫ The following political pitch is sponsored by Veil VPN♫♫♫

My fellow delegates, my name is Sam Snyder, owner, founder and host streamer of Sam Snyder's Sensational Streaming Services TM, and as a humble small corporation owner, I feel quite blessed to be given the chance to weigh in on this debate for humanity's future. You know, it seems like just yesterday I was just getting my start, back then, just me in a small hab room in Ankara-Ring, living on top a bootleg Standard Dynamic server rack that I was using for the first hosting services on my channel. Shout out to the people currently on live chat for finding those old pictures. You guys are what make this awesome! I can understand the current debate, the UN seems surrounded, we have enemies within and outside and a real concern about economic lag is here. I can understand a desire to begin enmeshing ourselves with our friendly neighbors, however I would like to ask my fellow delegates to think about the threat of allowing too much freeflow into our space. Our systems will continue to be plagued with security risks so long as we maintain a free flow of travel among less...savory constituencies like Regulus, peoples livelihoods will be in danger of information breaches, unless of course you use VEIL VPN!.

Now I'm normally not someone whose too concerned about my own privacy, hazards of being a CEO Corporate Streamer, but I still keep my own financial, medical, and corpo-information on various hosting platforms all around Bastion, so whenever I access the extranet, I want to make sure my browsing remains secure, safe, to make sure Regulus criminals or really anyone else can't follow me around, hack my information, or sneak into the livechat and make things miserable for you. That's why I like to use Veil VPN, with an easy to use interface, Veil allows you to configure your own preferred security and location settings for your own terminal without requiring you to have an advanced computing degree or go through any rigorous set up for your own personal terminal. Want to access the latest musical Holo-Drama's from New India? Veil lets you also link into localized extranet hubs to help get exclusive access to all kinds of unique services, without the pesky interference from local, non-UN governments. As a special bonus, if you click on the link in the livechat now, you can receive a code for up to SEVENTY percent off if you sign up for a one year service, or EIGHTY FIVE percent off if you sign up for a three year. Terms and conditions apply. Now back to the speech.

It follows for our present position that Isolation for the time-being remains our best course of action, to our galactic east lies more unexplored space in the Iguo Veil, which could hold more worlds for our explotation and exploration. We have a bounty of worlds we can terraform now, and with some research we can possibly build orbital habitats like Bastion. We have plenty for what we need, we just need to settle in and really make use of it.

That said, Isolation doesn't mean ISOLATION, we don't need to fully cut ourselves off from our neighbors. The Columbians, the SovMecs and Indians all seem fairly amenable to us, while we don't need to enter into a Federation with them that doesn't mean we can't work to preserve our commercial and research ties with them. Hell, I'd even be down for alliances with them, just not quite enmeshing our political futures with one another at this time.

TLDR: C-Isolation, with a focus on development in our space, exploring to the east and making allies with friendly space partners, just no federation yet.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Which place is the bio luminescent moon? That sounded cool, glowing is cool. Let's colonize that.

A or C, please.

Woodywoo01
Jan 15, 2019
I'm going to vote C. I'm interested in how the geo-political landscape ends up if we don’t go all buddy-buddy.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Conclusion of the 330th session of the United Nations General Assembly
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Results of the vote regarding the future direction of the United Nations.
Including the five votes of the security council.

Secretary-General John Renaud:

It seems we have a lead forming for option C - isoslation. Enough time has passed and I am ending the vote here, as I am sure many of your have important business to get back to.
As your secretary-general I will do my upmost to ahere to the result of this vote. For the remainder of my time as UNSG at the very least the focus shall be on internal development and most crucially the development and or settling of worlds outside of The Bastion.

Any existing trade and research treaties we have with outside powers will remain in place. It seems unlikely we will receive any new ones regardless, as New India, SovMech and Columbia are arleady dealing as closely with us as they can without us forming a full-blown federation or defence pacts. Neither of which will we accept should they propse them, for the time being we cannot afford to be dragged into a war if they start one. Columbia as we speak is fighting the Emirates, and I'm sure the last thing we want is to have them request our aid and we must send the fleet off a thousand light years. We obviously know how the North and South Americans (ironically to the south and north of us respectively) feel about us, but we now also share a border with the United African Empire who have thus far been somewhat unreceptive to our diplomatic channels - it seems unlikely they would want any deals with us.

Defence is obviously still of critical importance and the United Nations Navy shall not be neglected, the UNN shall remain in the Caph system for the time being as it is pretty central between the PeeGee / New America border as well as allowing us to keep a watchful eye on the Free City of Regulus. With the new treaty between us and the numerous indepentant factions across UN and Regulus space we shall hopefully receive a new influx of workers for our mining corps. However we've already recieved reports of dissatisfied elements within the Regulus who are still commited to piracy, our new fast moving Strike Force will have to handle these pirates where ever they crop up.

There is a shrinking area of unclaimed space to the south-west between New India and New America, efforts will be made to explore and build outposts in these systems as they may very well be the last stars the UN can take hold of without resorting to conflict.

The question has also been raised about venturing out across the Iguo Veil. The upper systems are uncolonizable, there are simply no stars or planets to inhabit - just waypoints formed from more denser areas of the nebula gas that our vessels can travel betweenn. However there are two hyperlane bridges across to the Perseus arm of the Milky Way, one in the lower Iguo Veil and the other right on the N A F border, the viability of trying to snatch these systems away from the New Americans is very questionable.

Finally the establishment of a new joint-venture office to oversee our colonial efforts will be done by weeks end, and with any luck our first colonial vessels will be departing The Bastion within a year. With the taming of new worlds the march of progress and perpetual growth may continue unabated!

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 31, 2021

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

God you have so many hyperlanes that forming any sort of chokepoint's an exercise in frustration.

Related note: can you amend my corporation name to "Jim's Eugenics", cheers

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Nathen Mazri IV would like voice his support for the new resolution and pledges the support of the GarfieldEATS conglomerate to all further efforts.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Boat Stuck Services PLC applauds the decision of the Security Council, and pledges to continue providing reliable tugging anytime and anywhere across UN-controlled space.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
With our shifting to a period of isolationism I feel it is important for us to build up more habitats. Humanity is concentrated within a few great biospheres. Which in turn means catastrophe could wipe out a significant chunk of our population and resources.

it is a priority for us to internally expand in whatever manner is possible - by terraforming planets until they are efficiently colonizable, by building more great space habitats.. We risk a great deal should even one of our Havens suffer a calamity. We must ensure that we do not risk collapse from a stroke of bad luck or sabotage.

While none of our immediately neighboring powers seem hostile and we will not be taking actions that might alienate them, a buildup of our navy and outposts to be able to perform more than anti-piracy operations is necessary, with the plan of being able to fight a defensive war on at least two borders of space.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Could we get space.ppt explainer on how habitats work and where we can build them?

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 1, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:buddy:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:ck5: :five:

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Wanted to vote for A, since I mostly start my games with isolation and wanted to see how aggressive diplomacy would work out. But maybe that's for the future. Also 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I say we build some robot factories and colony ships and start setting up robot-plantations on those low habitability worlds. Much cheaper than terraforming. 40 Eridani C IV would probably make a good generator world and 61 Cygni IIIb has a wonder on it, could tailor something around the wonder.

e: The fact that I have recently inherited large stakes in RUR has nothing to do with this by the way.

sullat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 1, 2021