Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

The current thread title is great

Canuck-Errant posted:

I think my favourite bit about it was that they [...] just named the guy outright and said 'DO NOT BUY CANNED MEAT FROM THIS MAN'
and I wish it could also be The Restaurant Industry Thread: 'DO NOT BUY CANNED MEAT FROM THIS MAN'.

handle fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

handle posted:

The current thread title is great

and I wish it could also be The Restaurant Industry Thread: 'DO NOT BUY CANNED MEAT FROM THIS MAN'.

Op should really have a 'best of' and 'previous' titles

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't understand buying canned meat unless you're on a budget or making bulk soup, and I kinda figure that sort of "home made in a mason jar" stuff would cost more than what you can buy at the store.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand buying canned meat unless you're on a budget or making bulk soup, and I kinda figure that sort of "home made in a mason jar" stuff would cost more than what you can buy at the store.

Eh. It can be comfort food. I like good corned beef hash, but growing up broke at times, I still have a fondness for the canned stuff with a couple fried eggs and some hot sauce.

Agreed on the homemade stuff though.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Skwirl posted:

Well, in this specific case, I think it's Maritime brainworms. Food is legitimately a lot more expensive over there, especially if you live on Cape Breton or PEI, due to the same factors that result in food price hikes further north: it needs to travel further, and there aren't as many good routes to get it to the markets.

So people (ime) will turn to doing what they can to make things go a little further. Most people I knew, knew of someone who went deer hunting in the autumn and the meat from that would be shared out around friends and family, with priority given to folks who needed it more. Likewise, there was usually at least one or two people who would go fishing.

And not everyone has access to a chest freezer. But most of them know someone's grandma who knows how to can jams and pickles and even any meat that needs to be preserved, and she's willing to teach family. And if you've got more than you can reasonably use yourself, you share the wealth and you don't charge more than a token fee so that it doesn't look like charity.

So I'd be surprised if it were being sold for more than $20 a jar. Heck, $10 a jar would surprise me, considering that it’s completely unlabeled; this has the air of a guy who took a moose or a bear without a permit, and is trying to get rid of the evidence.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
In my area pickled meats are just part of the food culture. I can go buy jars of almost any meat you can think of, and especially turtle and pigs feet, right now at my grocery. They're small batch stuff that's made at the huge industrial meat processor nearby that also does all of your hunted carcasses and ranch meat. I will eat questionable looking year old canned turtle without even blinking at it. I wouldn't eat something someone jarred at home for all the money in the world. I'd rather eat glass off a subway floor. It would hurt less if the canning process was at all slightly fucky.

And preserved meats just look like you're having a harder time than you are. They're appalling looking. Just really uncomfortable.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jars of meat, if jarred correctly, are no better or worse than tins of meat.

Except that you can see into them at any time.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Chidi gif

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Washington Post did an article asking ex restaurant workers why they aren't going back. Good read.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I've seen a lot of articles on the subject but all of them seem to dance around the topics without getting into the roots of the problems. This article mentions things like abuse and drugs but doesn't touch on why those are more prevalent, or why wages are even low in the first place, or... Just anything but some talking points sprinkled in.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's yet another jerk about how we know there's problems so wild its impossible to deal with them but welp guess that's just the industry hope it gets worked out.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

fizzymercury posted:

In my area pickled meats are just part of the food culture. I can go buy jars of almost any meat you can think of, and especially turtle and pigs feet, right now at my grocery. They're small batch stuff that's made at the huge industrial meat processor nearby that also does all of your hunted carcasses and ranch meat. I will eat questionable looking year old canned turtle without even blinking at it. I wouldn't eat something someone jarred at home for all the money in the world. I'd rather eat glass off a subway floor. It would hurt less if the canning process was at all slightly fucky.

And preserved meats just look like you're having a harder time than you are. They're appalling looking. Just really uncomfortable.

Turtle is one of the few things I haven't cooked. I need some pointers

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

Turtle is one of the few things I haven't cooked. I need some pointers
First know that it's about $55 for two pounds of meat if you don't know someone. You can typically find it at an Asian market in a bigger city or just prder from LA crawfish online, they're pretty alright. Then make turtle soup. I can't give you my family's recipe but this one is pretty close to what we make: https://honest-food.net/wprm_print/23201 Be warned the meat itself looks kinda rank and smells like a turtle until you cook it. Don't! use okra in your soup. It will taste precisely like pond scum.

Like start there but it's pretty easy to use and you would have to try to gently caress it up. It's like chicken thighs but fishy and deeply earthy. Deep fry it like alligator meat if you want to try it a different way. Almost any of the recipes you find online for turtle are going to taste pretty good no matter what because only people that want turtle make recipes for it, you know?

I'll be surprised if someone that didn't grow up eating turtle likes it as much as I do, but I hope people try it. It's really nice.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 28, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

There's the one

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Theres an Asian market near me that keeps live turtles in a bathtub next to live frogs and severed alligator feet and the butcher case. I don't recall the price but it didn't sound high.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Do yourself a favor and skip seeing them butcher that. I'm not squeamish but at one market they just hopped up a turtle and killed it right there to sell me. I was not prepared for that.

Usual price near me for market turtle is $24 per pound. I don't have a good reason why, but I wouldn't pay less than that simply because I've never seen it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Say what you will about David Chang, but he has been publicly preaching "Restaurant workers don't get paid enough, restaurant owners don't charge enough, because people don't want to pay what it actually costs to make food and give the people who make/serve it a living wage. This whole industry is built on exploitation, and it's due for a labor crash" for a while now.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
https://www.chron.com/food/article/steak-48-new-rules-minimum-dress-code-houston-16207160.php

Restaurant I was trying to get into for work is dealing with some backlash from mandatory minimum purchases and the most obvious dog whistle dress code in history. I decided I'm out on that because like hell the type of clientele that eats there is going to tip well, just on top of all the extra bullshit. You guys have any thoughts on the obviously stupid rules? They presented themselves in the interviews as an exclusive la-di-dah wonderful place to work because they don't have *those* kind of diners. You know, filthy others. All my alarm bells went up cause they kept saying their staff is family.

Also I got into an argument with someone that thought people with enough money to eat at Steak 48 were going to tip better than 20% because that's what rich people who know how to eat do. More people need to work service to experience the wild and wonderful world of "you know I CAN tip you ridiculous money, DANCE MONKEY."

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 28, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
It's a chain? And flip flops are cool? What a weird thing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"We're a family" means "GET THE gently caress OUT NOW, RUN". Also lol at people thinking rich people tip better. They absolutely tip way worse than the average person.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

You must pay $100 to understand the intracacies of my combination of heat and meat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Disargeria posted:

You must pay $100 to understand the intracacies of my combination of heat and meat.

What is this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The $100 minimum is basically an instruction that non-drinkers aren't welcome. The apps run ~$25 and the normal steak is $45. I've never seen such aggressive minimums.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

It just seems to me if you're going to slap a $100 minimum on your menu of $50 steaks you might as well make it a prixe fix affair where you can justify saying that you're charging for a comprehensive experience.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

Looks like a highlight from the golden days of craigslist personal ads.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

PurplPenisEata posted:

Looks like a highlight from the golden days of craigslist personal ads.

"Do not buy cooking secrets from this man!"

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Yeah gently caress that place, wow. :aaaaa:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

No Wave posted:

The $100 minimum is basically an instruction that non-drinkers aren't welcome. The apps run ~$25 and the normal steak is $45. I've never seen such aggressive minimums.

I remember (precovid days) chatting with some people and their (smaller) places were dealing with more and more groups that didn't drink alcohol on a night out and it was starting to show on the revenue reports. So I could totally see this as a dick move to the non-drinkers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

unknown posted:

I remember (precovid days) chatting with some people and their (smaller) places were dealing with more and more groups that didn't drink alcohol on a night out and it was starting to show on the revenue reports. So I could totally see this as a dick move to the non-drinkers.
It's a real issue - even expensive restaurants make so little money on their food that they need to sell alcohol to stay afloat. I know that I'm getting "too good a deal" if I go to a nice restaurant and don't order alcohol (and I recall hearing about a food critic who didn't drink but would just order wine anyways because they knew the economics of high end restaurants). If this place is (was) swimming in reservations I can see why they want to do it, I just haven't seen it so directly enforced.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

No Wave posted:

Pretty much. Their food does not look high end enough to merit that kind of splash, and frankly the places with an effective minimum are prixe fix or serving the kind of clientele where theres no need for a stated dress code or prices on the menu because they control it via exclusivity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The dress code is absolutely an attack on black and latinx customers. The insane minimum is a class attack, which also has a racial aspect, but is less direct.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Oh, 110%, similar dress code at the shittier bars here.

It's just that usually in that price range they don't bother being specific with something they can be called out on, just 'dinner dress is required' and then turning down reservations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, 110%, similar dress code at the shittier bars here.

It's just that usually in that price range they don't bother being specific with something they can be called out on, just 'dinner dress is required' and then turning down reservations.

So they're actually helping by not letting people waste their time showing up and being refused?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
In no way is this about people wasting their time nor about a dress code being implemented in a positive manner (which is an oxymoron)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Victoria & Alberts in the Grand Floridian at Disney has a dress code, where they require men to wear a suit jacket. But they will provide jackets to those that don't have one.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I did three years at V&As. :v: We also didn't have minimums and you could order ala cart and could even bring kids under certain circumstances. Extreme focus on atmosphere but also on accomodations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Victoria & Alberts in the Grand Floridian at Disney has a dress code, where they require men to wear a suit jacket. But they will provide jackets to those that don't have one.

Trying to think of what cartoon it was where a restaurant provided a "loaner jacket" by means of a pair of tongs, moths and stink lines included. The Critic maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Trying to think of what cartoon it was where a restaurant provided a "loaner jacket" by means of a pair of tongs, moths and stink lines included. The Critic maybe?

I think it was yeah. V&A is legit though, as is the Grand in general.

Disargeria posted:

I did three years at V&As.

When abouts? You hear she finally quit? Too many lawsuits lol