Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Austin's first feud after Mania 14 was with Mick Foley's fourth best gimmick and assorted McMahon minibosses in relentlessly overbooked main events and the crowd still went bonkers for it. So yeah.

re: WCW Bret. Was but a dumb teenager at the time, but I liked the initial idea of bitter, sullen Bret Hart leading nWo 2000. But then everyone around the story seemed to get hurt, and that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not trying to be morbid, but considering the drug culture of WCW, isn't there a significant chance that Shawn eats a bottle of sleeping pills?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not trying to be morbid, but considering the drug culture of WCW, isn't there a significant chance that Shawn eats a bottle of sleeping pills?

he was already doing this in wwf even after wcw was bought out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

In the WWF, he had HHH to drive him around and keep him from doing truly stupid poo poo. In WCW, he would’ve been around Hall. Hall had his issues, but Nash looked out for him somewhat, I guess.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Nash was into the booze and pills too and WCW had a big party culture. Imagine letting HBK loose during one of those debauched Spring Break weeks.

It sounds like Nash would make sure Hall got to his hotel room at the end of the night and got up to hit the road next the day so they could party in the next town. I don't think he was doing much more beyond that.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 29, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pinche Rudo posted:

Nash was into the booze and pills too and WCW had a big party culture. Imagine letting HBK loose during one of those debauched Spring Break weeks.

It sounds like Nash would make sure Hall got to his hotel room at the end of the night and got up to hit the road next the day so they could party in the next town. I don't think he was doing much more beyond that.

That’s been my assumption, but I can’t determine if Hall is alive by pure luck or by Nash making sure he didn’t go off the deep end. Hall had to be carted off the plane ride from hell, and Nash was absent from that one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
drat, Beau James ruined the GLOW intro for me.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What were Vince McMahon's feelings when Hulk Hogan signed with WCW?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zombie Lemur posted:

What if Shawn hadn't been forced into retirement the first time?

Does his politicking prevent things from playing out the way they did with key wrestlers?

His drug use and increasingly erratic behavior could've thrown a wrench into a lot of things. Vince got rid of him when he was in a non wrestling role, would he have been willing to pull the trigger if he was still working matches?

The biggest impact is we don't get that amazing first class from his wrestling school because guys like Danielson & Kendrick travelled down to Texas because of his name attached to it.

bartok
May 10, 2006

My friend that is relatively new to wrestling asked me what some of Sting's best matches are. All I could come up with at the time were Sting vs. Ric Flair at the first Clash of the Champions, Sting vs Cactus Jack at Beach Blast 92, and Sting and Luger vs The Steiner Bros. at Superbrawl 1. Anyone got anymore Sting match suggestions?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

bartok posted:

My friend that is relatively new to wrestling asked me what some of Sting's best matches are. All I could come up with at the time were Sting vs. Ric Flair at the first Clash of the Champions, Sting vs Cactus Jack at Beach Blast 92, and Sting and Luger vs The Steiner Bros. at Superbrawl 1. Anyone got anymore Sting match suggestions?

The 1991 and 1992 War Games at Wrestlewar.

Sting vs Vader at Starrcade 1992

He had an excellent match with DDP on a random Nitro in 1999.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sting & Muta vs the Steiners NJPW Supershow II (1992)

Sting vs DDP 4/26/99 Nitro (also my 16th birthday)

Sting, Brian Pillman, and Dustin Rhodes vs Paul Orndorff, Rick Rude, and Steve Austin Superbrawl IV

Wargames: Sting, Brian Pillman & The Steiner Bros vs Ric Flair, Barry Windham, Larry Zbyszko and Sid Vicious, Wrestlewar '91

Wargames: Sting, Barry Windham, Dustin Rhodes, Nikita Koloff and Ricky Steamboat vs The Dangerous Alliance, Wrestlewar '92

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

basically 1991 and 1992 were *the* years for him. He did good stuff before and after but those were the years where everything he touched turned to gold.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

basically 1991 and 1992 were *the* years for him. He did good stuff before and after but those were the years where everything he touched turned to gold.

Yeah, pre-Hogan, Sting feuds were fun

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

The 1991 and 1992 War Games at Wrestlewar.

Sting vs Vader at Starrcade 1992

The DDP match is the 99 one mentioned in the next tweet but they also had a very good one for the title in early 98. The Sting/Vader King of Cable match at Starrcade is one of the best matches on a terrible card you can find.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sting and Ric Flair vs Great Muta and Dick Slater (Clash of Champions: Fall Brawl 89)
Sting and Ric Flair vs Great Muta and Dick Slater (Halloween Havoc 89)

Sting v Ric Flair (Starrcade 89) - all the more impressive that they put on a match as good as they did considering they'd already wrestled twice on that show.

Sting vs Vader at GAB 92
Sting vs Vader at SuperBrawl 93 - this is the White Castle of Fear Strap match, complete with goofy intro movie

Sting, Jeff Jarrett, Rhino, Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles, Abyss, Christian Cage, Scott Steiner and Tomko (TNA Lethal Lockdown 07)

The match against Hogan at Starrcade 97 is worth checking out, but for historical purposes and a picture perfect illustration on how to absolutely obliterate a hot angle.

Lamuella posted:

This would probably be the April 26th Nitro in 1999. They also had a match on the March 23rd Nitro in 1998, which is OK, but not as good.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
That Sting/DDP match in 98 might be the best match ever held on nitro. Young me was pissed off because Raven wasn't involved.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

That Sting/DDP match in 98 might be the best match ever held on nitro. Young me was pissed off because Raven wasn't involved.

The best Raven match on Nitro aside from him making Goldberg look good as hell is from a very lovely period: Flair is running roughshod as President of WCW, feeds Raven to Benoit & Malenko, Saturn comes out to save him after a shitkicking. I popped like hell.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 30, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamuella posted:

Didn't he injure his leg around this time and that's why he had to throttle back?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That cinematic match where Sting teamed with Darby Allin.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't he injure his leg around this time and that's why he had to throttle back?

The night he was supposed to beat Flair and be the new top guy, he tore his ACL, I think

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The night he was supposed to beat Flair and be the new top guy, he tore his ACL, I think

Sting tore up his knee climbing cage at the Clash in January 1990.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Sting beat Flair at Starrcade '89 while they were both babyfaces in the finals of a non-title "Iron Man" tournament, leading to Sting getting offered a spot in the Four Horsemen.

A couple of months later at a Clash of Champions the Horsemen kicked Sting out of the group because he wanted a title shot against Flair, and later in the show Sting came back and attacked the Horsemen in revenge. This was supposed to lead to a title match/Sting's coronation at Wrestlewar, but he tore his ACL during the run-in, so they had to do Luger as the challenger at that show. They re-ran that match at Capital Combat (Sting still wasn't ready so he did all the Robocop poo poo instead), and then once his knee was healed up, Sting took the title off Flair at the Great American Bash in July 1990.

So the leg injury didn't delay the world title push all that long really, and what everyone seems to agree were his best years came after the ACL tear.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My first wrestling show was a 1992 WCW house show with Sting vs Rick Rude in a cage match for the main event. Rude had nuclear heat, the crowd was throwing trash at the cage during his pose down. He and Sting had a fun short match and the crowd went nuts for Sting winning.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

My first wrestling show was a 1992 WCW house show with Sting vs Rick Rude in a cage match for the main event. Rude had nuclear heat, the crowd was throwing trash at the cage during his pose down. He and Sting had a fun short match and the crowd went nuts for Sting winning.

Rude had gotten so goddamned good when his career ended.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Someone posted a bootleg video of it holy poo poo

https://youtu.be/lrfmpDRgEDE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Has anyone ever written a wrestling history of Korakuen Hall? Like, equivalent to the Chris Charlton book about the Tokyo Dome?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You’d probably have to release that book in volumes. So much loving wrestling has happened in that building.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
With the #SpeakingOut thread locked, I guess I'll ask this here:

I'm not the only one who's found themselves feeling oddly conflicted over Serena Deeb becoming one of their favorite wrestlers to watch at the same time that she's apparently fallen in love with Marty Scurll...right? Outside of Teddy Hart/Maria Manic types of situations where there was clearly something off in a worrying way from the jump, I don't usually pay much attention to wrestling relationship drama, but...falling in love with Marty Scurll post-#SpeakingOut seems concerning in an entirely different way. He admitted to enough to make him look like a predator AND ROH cut ties with him after a full investigation. It feels very weird and disappointing in a very weird and specific way that the new heir to Bret Hart and Bryan Danielson, the laid back sober yoga instructor who's so into her recovery that she named her signature wrestling moves after addiction-related terminology...she's the nonce's girlfriend?!?!?

I know it's wrestling, you shouldn't get too disappointed, but I feel like I end up constantly whiplashing between "HELL YEAH, SERENA DEEB!" and "Serena, no..."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

With the #SpeakingOut thread locked, I guess I'll ask this here:

I'm not the only one who's found themselves feeling oddly conflicted over Serena Deeb becoming one of their favorite wrestlers to watch at the same time that she's apparently fallen in love with Marty Scurll...right? Outside of Teddy Hart/Maria Manic types of situations where there was clearly something off in a worrying way from the jump, I don't usually pay much attention to wrestling relationship drama, but...falling in love with Marty Scurll post-#SpeakingOut seems concerning in an entirely different way. He admitted to enough to make him look like a predator AND ROH cut ties with him after a full investigation. It feels very weird and disappointing in a very weird and specific way that the new heir to Bret Hart and Bryan Danielson, the laid back sober yoga instructor who's so into her recovery that she named her signature wrestling moves after addiction-related terminology...she's the nonce's girlfriend?!?!?

I know it's wrestling, you shouldn't get too disappointed, but I feel like I end up constantly whiplashing between "HELL YEAH, SERENA DEEB!" and "Serena, no..."

He seems to have hosed off and maybe he’s re-evaluating his life, seems like someone who has been through a cycle of “doing lovely things (although not as lovely as noncing, obviously), recognising this, getting better” is the kind of person who would be more accepting of that in another person because they’ve been there? Could be a positive influence for him rather than a negative influence for her, and it feels unfair to tar her with his baggage if that’s the case.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What happened to that thread anyway? I didn't read it, was there drama?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What happened to that thread anyway? I didn't read it, was there drama?

People started using it to argue about things completely unrelated to SpeakingOut, so it got closed, having run its course.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

wrong thread

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

He seems to have hosed off and maybe he’s re-evaluating his life

Is there any sign that this is happening, though? Because all I've seen online are his supporters yelling about age of consent and how he's being treated unfairly, plus the discussion that time a few weeks ago NJPW was going to bring him back and the locker room revolted.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I seem to remember something about Jon Stewart (the comedian, not the Green Lantern) costing John Cena a match at one point. What, uh... what was that about?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

He seems to have hosed off and maybe he’s re-evaluating his life, seems like someone who has been through a cycle of “doing lovely things (although not as lovely as noncing, obviously), recognising this, getting better” is the kind of person who would be more accepting of that in another person because they’ve been there? Could be a positive influence for him rather than a negative influence for her, and it feels unfair to tar her with his baggage if that’s the case.

I'm not saying this is what's happening because I really have no idea about them, but I've seen people who have been through addiction try to 'save' scummy people as sort of a vice replacement before (though usually it's been trying to convert them to whatever evangelical church took them in post-rehab). It's not my/our business why anyone's together, but it's AN explanation from my experiences.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I seem to remember something about Jon Stewart (the comedian, not the Green Lantern) costing John Cena a match at one point. What, uh... what was that about?
Summerslam 2015, Stewart had done various "celebrity in the crowd/backstage" things for WWE because his son was a big fan, he cost John Cena the match against Seth Rollins because apparently he respected Ric Flair's 16 World Championships record too much, and when he realized that Cena was about to win his sixteenth world title he acted.

This is not a joke, this is the explanation they went with on TV the next night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxZCRmfV5fw

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Which is extra stupid because Ric's actually something like a 22x or 23x champ if you count up all of the NWA>WCW>WWF title reigns.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sticklefifer posted:

Which is extra stupid because Ric's actually something like a 22x or 23x champ if you count up all of the NWA>WCW>WWF title reigns.

Have they ever figured out who has the most world title reigns (not counting length of the reign) or is it just one of those "we'll never really know" questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Silly Burrito posted:

Have they ever figured out who has the most world title reigns (not counting length of the reign) or is it just one of those "we'll never really know" questions?

It's a "we'll never know" since no one can come to a consensus on what is and what isn't a World title.