Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
All good points, thanks guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OK, I'm watching Move Along Home now, and it isn't that bad, seems pretty standard stuff. This main alien with the Joe Dirt wig on. And where the hell has O'Brien been the past two episodes?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

OK, I'm watching Move Along Home now, and it isn't that bad, seems pretty standard stuff. This main alien with the Joe Dirt wig on. And where the hell has O'Brien been the past two episodes?

Probably filming Under Siege.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think extending human lifespan is likely to come from side effects from other things and I imagine if we had hale and hearty old people they'd still do dumb poo poo and get killed off. You cannot escape karma even if your lifespan is indefinite; you'll get got by something in the end.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

"a bloo bloo humans produce such evil monsters that we all need to die eventually to thin out the herd!"

very optimistic, I can feel the utopian positivity flowing out of my rear end what a fantastic attitude timelessly reflected in such thoughtfully written science fiction brainworks like Star TRek: Picard

If you don't think that immortality tech would be immediately priced out of the reaches of the proles and hoarded by the billionaire class like a dragons gold you're insane. I can't get my teeth fixed without selling my child to the circus to pay for it, something like that would absolutely be used by ghouls to extend their power.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Also I got really drunk last night and watched If Wishes Were Horses and the only good part was realizing the two genders are Dax, and Horny Dax.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Josh Christ posted:

If you don't think that immortality tech would be immediately priced out of the reaches of the proles and hoarded by the billionaire class like a dragons gold you're insane. I can't get my teeth fixed without selling my child to the circus to pay for it, something like that would absolutely be used by ghouls to extend their power.

It's the most realistic aspect of Altered Carbon to me. Immortality is *technically* available to everyone, but if you're poor you get the poo poo version and the immortal rich are utterly detached from their own humanity because nothing has consequences any more.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

It's the most realistic aspect of Altered Carbon to me. Immortality is *technically* available to everyone, but if you're poor you get the poo poo version and the immortal rich are utterly detached from their own humanity because nothing has consequences any more.

Yeah, that part ruled. It's too bad the author wrote three novels with "your identity is divorced from your physical body" as a core concept and then also is like "trans people aren't real"

The idea of engineering a new body to be like, The Best gently caress Ever rules too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GoutPatrol posted:

George Primmen is just as good

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I've been rewatching Voyager (for only the second time) as background noise while I work because I hate myself, and I've come to the conclusion that this is by far the darkest, most pessimistic Star Trek. I have no idea how people unironically say that this was somehow a return to utopian optimism after DS9. Tons of episodes are just nihilistic as gently caress or paint whole species as being essentially evil and beyond redemption.

I can't even tell how much of it is intentional and how much is just bad writing, but it's crazy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tighclops posted:

"a bloo bloo humans produce such evil monsters that we all need to die eventually to thin out the herd!"

very optimistic, I can feel the utopian positivity flowing out of my rear end what a fantastic attitude timelessly reflected in such thoughtfully written science fiction brainworks like Star TRek: Picard

waahh I wanna live forever and you guys aren't being positive for not supporting my evil selfish desires

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
“Ooh, look at me, I value medical treatment that extends my lifespan! I think that’s fundamentally a good thing!”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In my utopian future, everyone is born already dead

It... it doesn't last very long

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

“Ooh, look at me, I value medical treatment that extends my lifespan! I think that’s fundamentally a good thing!”

I love that we have people celebrating death as a philosophical necessity because they believe people are inherently bad during a pandemic that has killed tens of thousands, and in the thread about the show with the utopian future.

Like that's great, just fantastic content with powerful vibes

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just make a colony, preferably called The Farm, where you can dump all the old space boomers forever. Doesn't even have to be M class either, Y is fine. Or just make a rule that you have to change career every 50 years. No forever admirals allowed.

The real trouble with immortality would be overpopulation. Depending on how it works, you could keep having kids forever too. Gotta need more real estate soon.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
So in the TNG episode "Genesis", the crew contracts a virus which reverse-evolves everyone. Riker and other human crewmen became primates, but Barclay becomes a spider. I always found that weird even as a kid, and I figured that Barclay is not a human but some kind of human-looking alien (which evolved from spiders). Did anyone else find that weird?

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

I love that we have people celebrating death as a philosophical necessity because they believe people are inherently bad during a pandemic that has killed tens of thousands, and in the thread about the show with the utopian future.

Like that's great, just fantastic content with powerful vibes

Again, anything resembling immortality will be available only to the wealthy and there will literally be no hope of ever escaping from their hell. It's not good in the real world.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why didn't Janeway tell the pleasure aliens that if they modified they technology too get to the alpha quadrant obviously that would be extremely pleasurable because they would have a ton more species to invite to experience pleasure.

I want to see these guys meet the Wadi

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Kurzon posted:

So in the TNG episode "Genesis", the crew contracts a virus which reverse-evolves everyone. Riker and other human crewmen became primates, but Barclay becomes a spider. I always found that weird even as a kid, and I figured that Barclay is not a human but some kind of human-looking alien (which evolved from spiders). Did anyone else find that weird?

I thought it was about unlocking some weird dark parts of a person's genome that were generally dormant. So maybe his devolution just used hacked together some random genes and made Spider Man.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Josh Christ posted:

Again, anything resembling immortality will be available only to the wealthy and there will literally be no hope of ever escaping from their hell. It's not good in the real world.

You can make the same argument about any other tools or technology with the potential to help people. What's your point?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

It... it doesn't last very long

Back in my home county, there was an early 19th century doomsday cult that practiced absolute celibacy on the idea that it was wrong to bring children into a world about to end.

Turns out that you only get about 20 years until all your members died off.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Kurzon posted:

SF Debris pointed out in his own review that as far as modern science goes, vertebrate animals and arthoropods are pretty widely separated branches of the animal kingdom. In fact, the only way Barclay could have turned into a spider would be if he first devolved into the hypothetical first animal that exhibited bilateral symmetry, then re-evolved into a spider.

Brawnfire posted:

MCCOY: "...which seems to be a great time-saver!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

You can make the same argument about any other tools or technology with the potential to help people. What's your point?

You remember the last time we really picked apart the Eugenics Wars and the genetic manipulation prohibition? I'm pretty sure the broad consensus there was that there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to improve the species with gene editing, but that once you move from "better people" to "superior people" you cross a line that there's really no coming back from, when you start making literal, actual ubermench and untermensch a thing. And the fact that the ubermensch would be the ultrawealthy and their minions of oppression was so obvious as to hardly require explicit observation.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
If we develop immortality it needs to be made available for all, and then we need to develop a means to restore the dead and use it on everyone who has ever died and grant them the gift of immortality too.

Trillions of humans from every period of history living on some huge rear end dyson sphere. Or maybe our immortal bodies won't need a dyson sphere, we can just float freely through space, untethered by material needs.

I want my Fyodorov-Posadism utopian space future.

The immortal bodies look like dolphins.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Trill in this discussion, but their society is about grappling with an unorthodox form of immortality. An average Trill lasts no longer than a human, but a symbiont can keep going for centuries, so Trill society has developed ways to manage that. All of their prejudice against reassociation is pretty clearly intended to keep new hosts from just stepping into the lives of their previous ones and turning themselves into an immortal caste. Mind you, the Trek writers did make it easier on themselves when they retconned joining from being the submission of the host to the symbiont in TNG's "The Host" to the blending of personalities in DS9, which would ensure some variation in personality between hosts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
if we extended the human lifespan tomorrow there would still be, like, 200 people a day killed in car crashes or whatever the stats are

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Immortality can only follow Highlander rules. Sorry, it’s the law.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Every 100 years, a tournament shall be held. The prize will be immortality for the victor. It will be open to any and all participants, but there can only be one winner. For the losers, their punishment shall be death.

We shall call it…

Immortal Kombat!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Paradoxish posted:

I've been rewatching Voyager (for only the second time) as background noise while I work because I hate myself, and I've come to the conclusion that this is by far the darkest, most pessimistic Star Trek.

Agreed and I think season 5 especially. I always thought of it as the "horror" season. Starting with Night and ending with Equinox, lots of bleak stuff and people dealing with loss and pain. Course: Oblivion is especially cold.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The worst part of living for hundreds of years is all those Spider-Man reboots.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Marx Headroom posted:

Agreed and I think season 5 especially. I always thought of it as the "horror" season. Starting with Night and ending with Equinox, lots of bleak stuff and people dealing with loss and pain. Course: Oblivion is especially cold.

Yeah, I think I've posted before in this thread that Course: Oblivion is probably the most nihilistic episode of Star Trek ever made. Everyone dies, none of it matters, no one will ever remember or even know that they existed, and the final scene of the episode literally drives that point home with the subtlety of a nuclear explosion. It's nuts.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think there was definitely a set of writers on TNG and VOY that wrote Trek less as “utopian ideals” and more as “Twilight Zone on a starship”.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Oh, and then there's the other episode where Voyager splits in half and the crew that draws the short stick blows themselves up rather than being dissected by Vidiians. But not before a bunch of them get murdered during the boarding. And the surviving Voyager gets a replacement Harry Kim and nobody gives a poo poo that theirs got spaced.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HD DAD posted:

I think there was definitely a set of writers on TNG and VOY that wrote Trek less as “utopian ideals” and more as “Twilight Zone on a starship”.

I mean, Star Trek has traditionally been very much "Twilight Zone on a Spaceship", ever since TOS. The ship is put in some weird or dangerous situation and has to figure out how to get out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't help but think if I lived long enough my predominant thought would just be "oh come on, not this bullshit again" blaring in my brain

It's already happening to me

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
There was that one Q on Voyager who realized he had done everything, literally everything, and decided to try death.

At some point you've experienced the entire life of the universe as every atom to ever be and at that point there is really only one question left.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reminds me a lot of people take issue with the solution the crew comes up with the solve the Heaven problem in The Good Place. Personally think it's the best hypothetical middle ground between pro-life-forever and pro-oblivion crowds.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

HD DAD posted:

Absolutely, I get that vibe from a lot of episodes.

Other spooky Voyager stuff: all the serial killers. I can name four offhand jeez they were up to their eyeballs in psychopaths out there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ghost stories but the ghost is some kind of alien or weird matter or the holodeck getting weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Marx Headroom posted:

Other spooky Voyager stuff: all the serial killers. I can name four offhand jeez they were up to their eyeballs in psychopaths out there.

Don't forget the species that lures dudes in by altering their DNA and seducing them with sexy times and then mummifies them

or that a dude literally gets face/off'd by a Vidiian

edit- It should have been Harry Kim that got his face stolen and then for the rest of the series it's just a Vidiian with Harry Kim's face and nobody cares

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 30, 2021