Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How's the Sawano score for this show? Is it as busy as his Unicorn OST?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, he was one of the members of the military back when they actually did something, so he probably isn't as incompetent as his peers when he actually tries.

He's just, you know. Given up.

I think the military was probably supremely incompetent and ineffectual even before they gave up and stopped trying. Remember that the regular military got absolutely massacred by the Legion when they tried to fight them conventionally. Logically that would make you go "wow the Legion is almost unstoppable!", but then you remember that the Legion has apparently been held off by a bunch of press-ganged slave soldiers in cheap-rear end walking coffins for several years so successfully that the civilians inside the walls are allowed to blissfully pretend the war isn't happening beyond some supply shortages.

You're entirely right in that Lena's uncle has given up, though, just like her friend. It's way easier to just not rock the boat, not question the status quo, and take advantage of being born ethnically privileged until the shooting stops.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Well, also, they fell back super hard and are now holding a defensive line over a much, much smaller area than they originally attempted to defend, which is a far easier task.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Arcsquad12 posted:

How's the Sawano score for this show? Is it as busy as his Unicorn OST?

I can hardly remember any music in this show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Legion also does not seem to be trying as hard to win. It seems to be building up it's forces while capturing more humans for it's plan to make itself live longer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Legion also does not seem to be trying as hard to win. It seems to be building up it's forces while capturing more humans for it's plan to make itself live longer.

I don't think the Legion really had a concept of "trying to win" before they started self improvement.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I can hardly remember any music in this show.

IMO the music does a good job of just blending right into the mood of the scenes, rather than telling you what you're supposed to be feeling.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sawano is one of 2 composers credited for this show iirc. He does the op, the 2 eds (there's a different one they play sometimes to better match the tone of the scene leading into it, it's pretty cool), and the cool robot fights songs.

There's a nice emotional piano piece that I probably wouldn't listen to outside of the show but it fits the scenes it's in like a glove. The less common ED (used in eps 4 and 6 I believe?) I like quite a bit. Otherwise I don't find the music super notable

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's a bit of a shame. I'm not suuuuper big into Sawano (I think he has a bad habit of burying his melodies under way too many layers) but he is the go-to guy for sweeping orchestra robo fights.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How did the Legion even stumble upon the "Steal Human Brains" solution? They we're pretty dumb before they started sucking out brains. They'd have to both realize that these meat things they kill have neural networks like their own, then go through a bunch of R&D to figure out the process. All while being dumb and without human help.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was probably preexisting research done by their makers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They said that the the legion's processors are based on the human brain, they probably developed that tech by actually looking at the human brain

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Well, the uncle saying that the government wants to hurry up and eliminate the minorities before contact with the rest of the world is reestablished implies that the other countries wouldn't push Spearhead away if they tried going to them (sure, no one wants refugees, but again those militaries would love to have veteran mech pilots like Spearhead to train their own troops, plus political ammunition against San Magnolia). This just convinces me that Spearhead really should lead an exodus. It feels strange to me that Shin would place his desire for resolution (burying his brother's head) over using his position to save the other 86s.

The main protagonist girl continuing to cry is very grating. She should stop with her pity party and actually help them do something, be it escaping or taking out Legion commanders.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

exodus to where? how? the legion have them completely surrounded, and even if they break through they still need, like, supplies. those "aluminum coffins" don't seem like they can carry a whole lot without becoming sitting ducks for the endless swarm of legion. shin's resolve hasn't been placed on saving other 86s because it's immensely clear that he can't, so he's focusing his mental energy on personal goals that help him continue existing inside the nightmare without having a mental breakdown every day

also "help them take out legion commanders" is more or less what their most recent mission was. she tried to help them by getting reinforcements to them before they were sent out on a mission, and it wasn't until after the mission that she was informed that that won't ever happen. she was intentionally misled by her uncle on that

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 29, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The main protagonist girl continuing to cry is very grating. She should stop with her pity party and actually help them do something, be it escaping or taking out Legion commanders.

I strongly suspect this is where the show is going. After all, isn't that the point of this episode? The episode was Lena being forced to confront the fact that, without a shadow of a doubt, her uncle and Annette are absolutely horrible people. That it's not just defeatism or passivity or sense of powerlessness that holds them back, it's that they are explicitly part of the problem and actively, genuinely disgusting trash Nazis. Wasn't the point of her half of the episode that they will not be any help to her, and cannot be any help to her? That she has absolutely no recourse anywhere in the system? If she wants to help them Lena is going to have to do it all by herself. And I think she will, there's no way she'll just sit out the battle with the Shepherd after all…

And I do want to shout out the show for making it completely and utterly clear how absolutely atrocious both of those Nazis are. Putting aside the stuff when she was a kid that show she was kind of always poo poo, Annette knowingly continued human experimentation and started screaming at Lena, telling her it's her fault that Spearhead is going to die because she didn't just let them die. Meanwhile uncle rear end in a top hat espouses fascist authoritarian ideas and confirms he is absolutely committed to genocide because otherwise the country might look bad. gently caress them both, I said they were awful in episode 4 in this episode shows them doubling down. Remember, Nazis are for punching in the face.

As for why the 86 are doing a suicide mission? I mean, isn't that the theme of the show? What unites Lena and the Spearhead crew is powerlessness, they're all smart and talented and skilled and could make a difference, but due to idiocy and fascism they're stuck and they can't do anything. The post credits bit reinforces that, Shin's brother reflects how he couldn't keep Shin safe and that he raged at his own powerlessness. I have a small idea where they might go with this, but will see.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That post credits scene was really intense and the way they conveyed how the legion was displaying Shin's brother as an AI visually was super unsettling, poo poo like that where it shifts rapidly between emotions/expressions in fragments or sharp cuts always creeps me out in media.

It was definitely interesting this episode to see just how far outside the norm Lena is in regards to her view compared to... literally everyone she knows. It was obvious she wasn't going to find any sympathy for a while now but boy did it explode this time around.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
This show has had superb direction from the start, and this episode seemed to hit new heights. Every beat hit with maximum impact.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

This show has had superb direction from the start, and this episode seemed to hit new heights. Every beat hit with maximum impact.

This one was done by a somewhat different crew than usual, they definitely brought a lot of intensity which is very suitable for how poo poo is hitting the fan on Lena's side especially.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1398771799253557253

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Moofia Boss Val posted:

With what, her bare hands?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Lena's powerlessness is a doubled edged sword because on one hand, yeah you probably are powerless in a system like this and anything where you single handedly start making big waves/saving the the persecuted group is going to specifically come across as magical protagonist bullshit (or in this case, white pig savior fantasies)

but on the other hand it's pretty frustrating to watch her just stand around being pretty frustrated for 10 episodes, especially if this is a single cour show and she's going to only start doing something that actually matters in the last one or two episodes

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

That it's not just defeatism or passivity or sense of powerlessness that holds them back, it's that they are explicitly part of the problem and actively, genuinely disgusting trash Nazis.

Uh, Annette's outburst made it pretty clear that she's compartmentalized her despair and self-loathing because that's the only way she can deal with this hosed up situation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

Lena's powerlessness is a doubled edged sword because on one hand, yeah you probably are powerless in a system like this and anything where you single handedly start making big waves/saving the the persecuted group is going to specifically come across as magical protagonist bullshit (or in this case, white pig savior fantasies)

but on the other hand it's pretty frustrating to watch her just stand around being pretty frustrated for 10 episodes, especially if this is a single cour show and she's going to only start doing something that actually matters in the last one or two episodes

86 is going to have two cours, it's just going to be a split cour setup so there'll be probably a season break between the end of cour 1 and the beginning of cour 2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the uncle is bad still. He did give Lena the job to give her a reality check. Also the whole cares more about making sure the 86s are wiped out before the Legion is supposed to shut down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the uncle is bad still. He did give Lena the job to give her a reality check. Also the whole cares more about making sure the 86s are wiped out before the Legion is supposed to shut down.

The treatment of the 86 at this point is basically Coen Brother movie territory. At first, it was just a kind of desperate "throw bodies at the enemy so we don't die" thing, but once cooler heads prevailed, they realized it was a war crime... and decided they couldn't go in for half measures.

Genocide wasn't the initial plan, but once you're committing crimes against humanity, you don't leave evidence. And because of sunk cost, they're more worried about being punished for their crimes than they are about the army of killbots at their door.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

I strongly suspect this is where the show is going. After all, isn't that the point of this episode? The episode was Lena being forced to confront the fact that, without a shadow of a doubt, her uncle and Annette are absolutely horrible people. That it's not just defeatism or passivity or sense of powerlessness that holds them back, it's that they are explicitly part of the problem and actively, genuinely disgusting trash Nazis. Wasn't the point of her half of the episode that they will not be any help to her, and cannot be any help to her? That she has absolutely no recourse anywhere in the system? If she wants to help them Lena is going to have to do it all by herself. And I think she will, there's no way she'll just sit out the battle with the Shepherd after all…

And I do want to shout out the show for making it completely and utterly clear how absolutely atrocious both of those Nazis are. Putting aside the stuff when she was a kid that show she was kind of always poo poo, Annette knowingly continued human experimentation and started screaming at Lena, telling her it's her fault that Spearhead is going to die because she didn't just let them die. Meanwhile uncle rear end in a top hat espouses fascist authoritarian ideas and confirms he is absolutely committed to genocide because otherwise the country might look bad. gently caress them both, I said they were awful in episode 4 in this episode shows them doubling down. Remember, Nazis are for punching in the face.

As for why the 86 are doing a suicide mission? I mean, isn't that the theme of the show? What unites Lena and the Spearhead crew is powerlessness, they're all smart and talented and skilled and could make a difference, but due to idiocy and fascism they're stuck and they can't do anything. The post credits bit reinforces that, Shin's brother reflects how he couldn't keep Shin safe and that he raged at his own powerlessness. I have a small idea where they might go with this, but will see.

annette seems to be an unbelievably awful person who whole-heartedly embraced the most hosed up and evil parts of the whole thing the very first time she was faced with any sort of meaningful choice

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

As Conspiratiorist says, I think also they're just so full of self-loathing and despair that this is the only way they can live with themselves and rationalize their defeatism. With Rena's Uncle adding that extra sprinkle of "My country right or wrong above everything". His outburst was similar to Annettes such that I think it was just as much directed at himself; especially when he says "What can you expect of this country!?"

Ann describes it quite clearly what happened, society had its process of both state sanction oppression and social pressure; her peers put in her a vice to conform or be ostracised; and we know from history possibly worse was in store; her family being arrested and thrown into the camps too. In Germany under the Nazi's, society was restructured to revolve around membership in the Nazi party and complete complicity in the actions of the state; ratting out your friends and family to the gestapo; rivals reporting you to get a leg up in advancing their careers, a society built on fear and distrust; and fear drives you to unspeakable acts.

The uncle is bad, but in a way probably more comparable to Admiral Raeder than committed Nazi's like General Model or Admiral Doenitz.

chiasaur11 posted:

The treatment of the 86 at this point is basically Coen Brother movie territory. At first, it was just a kind of desperate "throw bodies at the enemy so we don't die" thing, but once cooler heads prevailed, they realized it was a war crime... and decided they couldn't go in for half measures.

Genocide wasn't the initial plan, but once you're committing crimes against humanity, you don't leave evidence. And because of sunk cost, they're more worried about being punished for their crimes than they are about the army of killbots at their door.

Historically accurate to boot!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the Military is also incompetent as a whole, as they seem to see competence as a problem trait for officers to have.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

cock hero flux posted:

annette seems to be an unbelievably awful person who whole-heartedly embraced the most hosed up and evil parts of the whole thing the very first time she was faced with any sort of meaningful choice

You mean when as a little girl rather than bravely face off against her bullies she desperately cut off her friendship with the neighbor to avoid being ostracized, or shortly thereafter when she prioritized her safety and that of her family rather than risk trouble with the authorities by harboring a persecuted class?

Yeah, I guess she was born a Nazi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

You mean when as a little girl rather than bravely face off against her bullies she desperately cut off her friendship with the neighbor to avoid being ostracized, or shortly thereafter when she prioritized her safety and that of her family rather than risk trouble with the authorities by harboring a persecuted class?

Yeah, I guess she was born a Nazi.

She also tried to save Shinn by asking for him as a "unique research specimen". Trying to save one person to compensate for her childhood sins.

And then that didn't work, and she basically internalized that nobody can do anything at this point, that the grinding wheels of the state were going to crush everyone sooner or later, so why bother? Eat, drink, and be merry, because nothing else loving matters.

Thus, Lena succeeding or failing just rubs her face in all the sins and all the traumas she wants to ignore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the Military is also incompetent as a whole, as they seem to see competence as a problem trait for officers to have.

Ironically enough this can be seen in action in Saddam's Iraq. But I think largely as we currently see in the modern US military that's been doing Operation Bomb Useless Dirt for over 2 decades now large sections of the military of degraded significantly in their combat readiness, training, equipment and so on; particularly in long range fires from tube artillery because this was seen as non-essential to Operation Bomb More Dirt when aircraft could do the job instead.

Oops, China now has heavier far longer ranged ordinance and can contest the US's air supremacy in local conditions, oopsadaisy! Teehee~

Of course the US is trying to course correct, the Albans aren't going to be as fortunate.

chiasaur11 posted:

Thus, Lena succeeding or failing just rubs her face in all the sins and all the traumas she wants to ignore.

Lena also possibly having a boy she likes before she can even if its an 86 probably annoys her to no end too. :v:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 30, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So Shinn is the kid that lived next to Annette right? Thats another reason why she tried to save him again?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It seems to be the case, yea.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So is the implication that they are behind the Legion starting their attack? That whatever they were doing with the para raid caused the legion to come after them? They were originally from the Giadian Empire right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

So is the implication that they are behind the Legion starting their attack? That whatever they were doing with the para raid caused the legion to come after them? They were originally from the Giadian Empire right?

My understanding is there was a war, we aren't told who started it, that the Gialdian Empire had the big drone fleet, got crushed by their own drones, and then the drones crushed the Magnolian Army.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The war had already been ongoing for a few years before San Magnolia deployed the RAID systems.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And their unwillingness to risk their own lives caused them to send their minorities to fight the battle for them. Which they eventually also turned into "better make sure all of them die so they don't tell other people that we sent them to deaths in place of ours." And meanwhile the military officers drink and lounge about on duty, and their artillery, and other resources that could be used to help the battle goes unused.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

And their unwillingness to risk their own lives caused them to send their minorities to fight the battle for them. Which they eventually also turned into "better make sure all of them die so they don't tell other people that we sent them to deaths in place of ours." And meanwhile the military officers drink and lounge about on duty, and their artillery, and other resources that could be used to help the battle goes unused.

It wasn't entirely "we're unwilling to risk our own lives"; they did fight a direct military conflict with the killbots pre-ultra racism, it just failed. So I guess it's "we risked a lot of lives and they all got murdered with no gain, oh gently caress, what do we do, uhhhh let's enslave the minorities and throw them at the killbots while we think of a plan" and it worked well enough that that actually became the entire plan.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 30, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I was really impressed with this scene:

Lena enters the room in the darkness, looking to her uncle, staring at the Republic's saint for support in saving the 86. He represents the ideals of the state and the lofty goals of the Saint.

She makes her plea

But her uncle rebuffs her, telling her it's impossible. He begins walking into the darkness that she came from. They switch places with Lena approaching the Saint's statue and the light to implore her uncle to listen to the ideals the country was founded on.

From the darkness, her uncle scoffs at those ideals, saying the people of the nation are fools and villains, and that they killed the very saint she olds up on the pedestal behind her.

We are now left with a complete reversal of their positions, with Lena in the light pleading for her uncle, who's now retreating into the darkness, to return to the ideals of the saint.

He refuses however, leaving her alone in the light of the saint as the only person who holds to the ideals the country was supposedly founded on.

A really excellently done scene.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was really impressed with this scene:

He refuses however, leaving her alone in the light of the saint as the only person who holds to the ideals the country was supposedly founded on.

A really excellently done scene.

Yeah, especially the part where the scene represents how she's literally alone; no one else in the country supports her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hey, was the alban in the after credits bit the racist uncle? don't get much of a look at him but they both have the same facial hair and the other facial details seem similar too