Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I see the vile specimen got married in time to try and grab the headlines in the Sunday papers.
How much bad news will he manage to get covered up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Extra-large lols that according to the Beeb the only UK political leader to comment so far has been Arlene Foster, who congratulated the couple presumably through teeth so gritted that it came out like a steam whistle - he fucks up NI with the Brexit deal, then just as marching season is getting into its stride (:v:) he casually drops that he's a papist into the mix.

She's probably cursing the fact that Boris didn't wait another week to get married so she wouldn't have to comment.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Seeing shared posts on Facebook saying Wickes are banning Israeli goods (Stanley products apparently!) from stores in support of Palestine.
Can't find any source other than other FB posts.
Anyone know whether it is true or heard anything about it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lot of Catholics very, very angry that a twice-divorcee has managed to get married at the big house when official Catholic doctrine is that divorced people can't get married in a Catholic ceremony *at all* (apparently they only stopped officially excommunicating divorcees who remarry outside the church really recently).

Also I'm guessing Blair is *really* hosed off that he spent his entire time in power hiding his Catholicism (and *alleged* extramarital affair(s)) while Johnson just parades his adulterous arse straight into the Mother Church.

From a catholic area and family, don't think we are that angry. Sure 30 years ago it would be talk of the town and old biddies giving you the stink eye in the street.
But now no one really gives a gently caress.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I see the vile specimen got married in time to try and grab the headlines in the Sunday papers.
How much bad news will he manage to get covered up?

It's a long con. Get her knocked up and 'you can't investigate me now, got a babby, btw need more money to pay for it' until the next election.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Otoh the core social tenet of Methodism is to work to your utmost to improve the lives of others, so I think he'd just go for the other one and charge a bunch of those plastic chairs you got in assembly to his expenses.

also aren't Methodists teetotal? because like gently caress is Boris ever giving up booze

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You're supposed to give it serious thought (with some fun communion arguments in the middle of that) and at the very least commit to socially helping everyone who struggles with alcoholism if you don't want to personally quit drinking. So in either tradition he's not going to do that.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

happyhippy posted:

From a catholic area and family, don't think we are that angry. Sure 30 years ago it would be talk of the town and old biddies giving you the stink eye in the street.
But now no one really gives a gently caress.
It's a long con. Get her knocked up and 'you can't investigate me now, got a babby, btw need more money to pay for it' until the next election.

Hang on, hasn't he done that already?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lot of Catholics very, very angry that a twice-divorcee has managed to get married at the big house when official Catholic doctrine is that divorced people can't get married in a Catholic ceremony *at all* (apparently they only stopped officially excommunicating divorcees who remarry outside the church really recently).

You say that, this actually came up when my ex wife remarried to a Catholic and I had to ask my dad if I'd been baptised. I hadn't so apparently our heathen rear end marriage didn't count and all was cushty with the Lord.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A confederacy of elected quitters.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Has Keith released a gushing statement wishing the happy couple a long and fruitful marriage yet?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"I congratulate the prime minister on his marriage, and in fact I urge him to go further, and marry me as well."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

You say that, this actually came up when my ex wife remarried to a Catholic and I had to ask my dad if I'd been baptised. I hadn't so apparently our heathen rear end marriage didn't count and all was cushty with the Lord.

Where's the contradiction here? Catholics are old fashioned enough to believe that only baptised people can get married. They'd be super pissed if you tried marrying a Catholic on that basis. But on the other hand, they wouldn't care about your previous marriage on the same basis. If you were baptised, then your marriage ended in divorce; as you weren't, it ended in annulment.

Guavanaut posted:

lol at Boris Johnson having a Catholic ceremony when Charlie couldn't even get a CofE one.

To be fair, the rules probably apply more strictly to you when your mother is the Pope.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

To be fair, the rules probably apply more strictly to you when your mother is the Pope.

I don't think Discordians have it that bad

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I was going to say that you can only get married once to bury bad news - but there’s always divorce and remarriage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Miftan posted:

I don't think Discordians have it that bad

Oh you're excommunicated.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1398904664721141774

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Reminder that Methodists former the bedrock of the early Labour party, and is one of the reasons Labour has been particularly "no fun allowed" especially when it comes to decriminalisation of drug use

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Whatever happened to "What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them"?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Guavanaut posted:

Whatever happened to "What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them"?

it doesn’t lock up brown kids in jail

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

A lot of fun stuff can make you puke tho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

That's interesting too, because a lot of the early Methodists were massive prison reformers, and the whole Sheep and Goats speech is supposed to be central to that idea.

An Important Figure In Christianity, I Think posted:

‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Maybe I'm reading it wrong and it actually means "also everyone should be in prison so you can be righteous by visiting them" in the New Labour Version.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bible quotes are nothing more than ad copy to Christians. Jesus is a mascot. It's like saying the Disney corporation doesn't live up to the ideals of Mickey Mouse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

In fairness most of the Temperance movement (which includes a lot of the Methodists and other do-gooders that found themselves in the Fabians) was never about prohibition (ribboners and other imported weirdos aside), rather about abstention, and even then mostly just from spirits, particularly gin. Partly this was pragmatic though - as was discussed upthread, the state of the drinking water in most British cities made getting completely bladdered a considerably safer bet. Campaigning to get rid of gin - which was often so poorly distilled that they had to add sulphuric acid just to get rid of the meths, even before they flavoured it with turps - was definitely a good thing.

Semi-related, I have heard a theory that one of the main reasons Britain never got swept up in the revolutionary fervour of the 18th and 19th centuries is that the Glorious Revolution, as well as being an important step between absolutism and sort-of democracy, also bought gin to these shores. While the Americans, French, and the rest went to war for Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love, and a Hard-Boiled Egg, the Brits got pissed instead. It's certainly an interesting idea, and one that sheds a new light on America finally admitting defeat in the War On Some Drugs, because they sure as poo poo haven't had a Damascene conversion on the actual morality of it.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 30, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1398958987656171525?s=20

Never seen this before. Ian Austin really is a true believer, isn't he? "The reason the Nazis didn't come here is because we fought them", yeah mate, the French didn't fight them which is why they got taken over. gently caress off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1398958987656171525?s=20

Never seen this before. Ian Austin really is a true believer, isn't he? "The reason the Nazis didn't come here is because we fought them", yeah mate, the French didn't fight them which is why they got taken over. gently caress off.

It really does make people like Austin intensely uncomfortable when you point out that sort of thing because deep down in their souls they know they'd have been enthusiastic collaborators - they tell on themselves the moment they get onto Muslims, Travelers, trans people, or any other marginalised group that society tells them they're allowed to be poo poo to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bible quotes are nothing more than ad copy to Christians. Jesus is a mascot. It's like saying the Disney corporation doesn't live up to the ideals of Mickey Mouse.
It's definitely something that has gotten worse in the past few decades. Earlier ITT I mentioned this article on the very modern moralism of the American Christian right.

Borrovan posted:

It's Whig history, the D:Ream hypothesis. I see the same thing in my field all the time, everyone just pretends that history began in the mid 19th century when everything was terrible & has been getting better since, when actually (a)things were a lot better beforehand, & (b)things have been getting worse for decades.

I managed to track down a copy of the original 1971 book by Geisler that gets quoted (before the whole thing got cut up to reflect what the Christian right has ~always~ believed), and there's a very interesting passage in there regarding the morality of abortion, where (despite the author definitely being an Ian Paisley style ranting conservative going on about sinners and premarital sexhavers and so on) he argues that the intrinsic rights of any living person outweigh the rights of any potential person always in all circumstances with the following logic

quote:

Hence when the choice is being made between the bad mother [i.e. a premarital sexhaver] and a potentially good embryo, one must prefer the former to the latter on grounds of intrinsic value, not pragmatic value.
If one were to carry through the logic that good men are better than evil ones, one could justify a host of inhumanities to criminals and so-called "lesser elements" of the race.

In context he's making a moral case that once you start preferring fetuses to living people for moral reasons, you're started down the road that stops caring about the prisoner, and once you stop caring about the prisoner you're running straight into that Jesus speech and off to Hell. It's something he actually does (at the time) believe as a moral conviction.

The modern Christian right going "woo fetusus" seems exactly contemporaneous with them going "lol gently caress prisoners they shouldn't have done it", mass incarceration, the war on drug users, etc.

Borrovan posted:

Pretty much across the board I'm really starting to have doubts about this neoliberalism thing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that before ww2 most western powers had concentration camps, but we decided to re-write history so that everyone thinks it was a nazi-thing only.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TheRat posted:

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that before ww2 most western powers had concentration camps, but we decided to re-write history so that everyone thinks it was a nazi-thing only.

guess who invented them

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

That's interesting too, because a lot of the early Methodists were massive prison reformers, and the whole Sheep and Goats speech is supposed to be central to that idea.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong and it actually means "also everyone should be in prison so you can be righteous by visiting them" in the New Labour Version.

What you need to understand about "Christians" who appear to ignore the actual teachings of Christ is that they start from a position of believing they are automatically righteous because they follow Jesus. The fact that to actually follow Jesus involves listening to and acting on what he had to say doesn't occur to them. So when Jesus says the righteous proceed to eternal life, that means them because they put their coin into the slot.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I refuse to be surprised by this country when poo poo like this has been omnipresent throughout history.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/25/chinese-merchant-seamen-liverpool-deportations

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
*not clicking the link voice* hehe semen

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

guess who invented them

Isombard Kingdom Brunel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Politoons cross post

Lodin posted:

Found this poo poo on twatter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Politoons cross post

Does it even qualify as parody when you're basically tracing the source material? Get 'em, Beano!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Politoons cross post

How dare the left try and topple statues of people merely "linked" to slavery. Why, the only link these people had was literally being slave traders!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

why, good honest british fascists put those statues up in black communities all the way back in the 1970s!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

guess who invented them

To be fair, /extermination camps/ were a Nazi only thing. There is a difference. You come out of one eventually (probably) but not the other, or at least not out of a chimney.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fairness most of the Temperance movement (which includes a lot of the Methodists and other do-gooders that found themselves in the Fabians) was never about prohibition (ribboners and other imported weirdos aside), rather about abstention, and even then mostly just from spirits, particularly gin. Partly this was pragmatic though - as was discussed upthread, the state of the drinking water in most British cities made getting completely bladdered a considerably safer bet. Campaigning to get rid of gin - which was often so poorly distilled that they had to add sulphuric acid just to get rid of the meths, even before they flavoured it with turps - was definitely a good thing.

Semi-related, I have heard a theory that one of the main reasons Britain never got swept up in the revolutionary fervour of the 18th and 19th centuries is that the Glorious Revolution, as well as being an important step between absolutism and sort-of democracy, also bought gin to these shores. While the Americans, French, and the rest went to war for Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably Priced Love, and a Hard-Boiled Egg, the Brits got pissed instead. It's certainly an interesting idea, and one that sheds a new light on America finally admitting defeat in the War On Some Drugs, because they sure as poo poo haven't had a Damascene conversion on the actual morality of it.

You've heard of the Whiskey Rebellion yeah? Yanks were getting loving tanked and willing to fight for it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, /extermination camps/ were a Nazi only thing. There is a difference. You come out of one eventually (probably) but not the other, or at least not out of a chimney.

Yes, but concentration camps weren't. And while there was no deliberate intend to exterminate, let's not forget that there was a 1 in 4 chance you weren't getting out of there alive, so squalid were the conditions. You can argue that this was death by neglect & disinterest & being "low in the list of priorities of the British Army" but I don't think that's actually much better. Possibly higher for African natives because the record keeping was poo poo because who cares about black people right?

Plenty bad enough without being Auschwitz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

What you need to understand about "Christians" who appear to ignore the actual teachings of Christ is that they start from a position of believing they are automatically righteous because they follow Jesus. The fact that to actually follow Jesus involves listening to and acting on what he had to say doesn't occur to them. So when Jesus says the righteous proceed to eternal life, that means them because they put their coin into the slot.
This is what I don't get about the whole 'salvation by faith alone'.

If I have faith that my boiler manual was written by the manufacturer to help me, and not by malicious goblins to deceive, then that's faith. Not an especially irrational faith, but faith nonetheless. That's a starting point, not a finishing point.

Believing that, I should then read it, and should it say "Important: boiler pressure should be regularly checked, pressure exceeding x bar can cause serious damage, fire, and explosion" then I should check my boiler pressure (I should check my boiler pressure).

Likewise, if someone believes that Jesus is Lord, completely disregarding whether that's a rational thing to believe, and Jesus says "hungry, destitute, sick, and prisoners, care for these people specifically or you'll be set on fire forever" then you can't say "well I have faith so I'll be saved anyway" anymore than I can keep myself safe from boiler explosion by believing really hard in the manual but never reading it and getting mad that someone somewhere might be doing something sexual with a radiator.

feedmegin posted:

I think the Black camps in South Africa meet the Nuremberg definition of 'extermination by labour'. There's not the premeditation nor industrial scale of the Nazi death camps, but extermination by indifference is still atrocity.