Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I posted that because his point was that what was good for one person isn’t good for another, for example if you sit bolt upright on a Dutch bike then listening to advice from time trial champions could be counter productive. which is what the people in the link were doing

The rest of the article talks at great length about seat fitting and being in the right gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

learnincurve posted:

I posted that because his point was that what was good for one person isn’t good for another, for example if you sit bolt upright on a Dutch bike then listening to advice from time trial champions could be counter productive. which is what the people in the link were doing

The rest of the article talks at great length about seat fitting and being in the right gear.

And yet you chose to paste in the portion of the post that was unhelpful and kinda lovely to people. Seems kinda meh?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was responding to the people in the link, because that’s what they were doing. Automatically taking every post as if it’s a personal attack is a bad habit that this entire forum needs to break tbh.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wait, you posted it to argue against what folks in that stack exchange link were arguing?
But... that was from 2012, none of them are here, and nobody here was making those claims. I guess good job letting everyone know where things stand.
I'm so freaking confused.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Loads of threads on this forum do that though? ISOM, trump lol, everything in D&D?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, I got a puncture out last night (tubeless setup), I've had a look at it this morning and there's a very small shard of gravel lodged into the tyre that the sealant has dried around and really doesn't want to come out. Would there be any harm in just leaving it in there or is that the type of thing that is likely to cause more problems down the line?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Less bitching, more biking

I rode dick around NYC last week it owned hard.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
Need a braintrust thing:
I have a Route Werks bar bag https://routewerks.us/products/the-handlebar-bag and it is great. The only issue is the position of it on the bars directly conflicts with the front light I have (knog PWR600) as the light blocks the lid from opening and it would be a pain in the arse to keep removing the light to access the bag. I tried a Specialized Flux as the pictures made it look like i could angle it behind/above the bar but it still doesn't quite fit, although it is much easier to remove. Route Werks sell little bar things that screw into the sides so that could work and I have the Garmin mount for the middle but no one seems to make a light that fits that.
So basically, I need a solution that hopefully isn't a mess of adaptors/bodges or helmet lights. Thanks in advance.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

sunday brunch posted:

Need a braintrust thing:
I have a Route Werks bar bag https://routewerks.us/products/the-handlebar-bag and it is great. The only issue is the position of it on the bars directly conflicts with the front light I have (knog PWR600) as the light blocks the lid from opening and it would be a pain in the arse to keep removing the light to access the bag. I tried a Specialized Flux as the pictures made it look like i could angle it behind/above the bar but it still doesn't quite fit, although it is much easier to remove. Route Werks sell little bar things that screw into the sides so that could work and I have the Garmin mount for the middle but no one seems to make a light that fits that.
So basically, I need a solution that hopefully isn't a mess of adaptors/bodges or helmet lights. Thanks in advance.

When you buy anything Garmin that uses that mount you usually get a free stem/top tube mount for it with elastic bands to hold it on. Since the Garmin mounts are double sided, if you have an extra one/you know someone with an extra, you can repurpose this and wrap the elastic bands around your light and make a Garmin style mount for your front light. Usually people use this trick to mount a light under their GPS on the "out front" style mounts, but I think you could use it to put a light on top of your fancy Route Werks bag too (I'm jealous!)

edit: saw you wanted something that was neither a mess nor a bodge whoops! You could try the Garmin Varia Smart front light and this mount: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12494-00

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 30, 2021

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

sunday brunch posted:

Need a braintrust thing:

Do you keep a GPS in the mount on the lid?

If not you could try one of these GoPro friction flange style adapters:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/knog-p...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And a friction flange to Garmin quarter turn adapter:

https://mybikeshop.com/products/gar...UoaAgFxEALw_wcB .

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
One of these upside down may give enough clearance? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R7QDG6H

e: actually scratch that, you lose the rise when you turn it upside down, obviously.

Vando fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 30, 2021

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
You’re a real dullard, learningcurve

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

e.pilot posted:

Definitely going to invest in one of these

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

multijoe posted:

So, I got a puncture out last night (tubeless setup), I've had a look at it this morning and there's a very small shard of gravel lodged into the tyre that the sealant has dried around and really doesn't want to come out. Would there be any harm in just leaving it in there or is that the type of thing that is likely to cause more problems down the line?

I heard that hard things will move around in the tyre and create a bigger hole eventually, but honestly you'll probably dig out a bigger hole by trying to remove it too.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Is anyone here riding unbound? Shoot me a pm if you are, I’m riding the baby section

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

e.pilot posted:

That's a cool bike

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

sunday brunch posted:

Need a braintrust thing:

What kind of bike do you have? If you have eyelets you can mount the light mid-fork. You would need an adapter similar to the route werks one if the threading is the same on the bolt

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

bicievino posted:

Bikes are cool. We should all aspire to ride more and post less.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm riding my bike today and will absolutely be posting through it

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm taking a three day break from riding. The weather is terrible, my legs are sore every morning, and I haven't posted enough.

Ecargo longjohn bikes look amazing, and my YouTube feed is now chock full of them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Unrelated dumb question: what do folks think about standing while pedaling? I had no idea there was controversy around doing so until I saw this Stack Exchange post .
Don't stand and pedal on shitpiles. Riveting insights!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It’s been a cold and wet spring here. Makes it hard to ride!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

I heard that hard things will move around in the tyre and create a bigger hole eventually, but honestly you'll probably dig out a bigger hole by trying to remove it too.

Yeah that was my thinking. I tried to pull it out with some tweezers and that just made it spew a load more sealant, so I guess I have a piece of gravel fused into the tyre?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I only bother trying to pull out glass or wires/tacks. I feel like sometimes parts of the puncture belt can appear to be a hard thing lodged in the tire rather than being part of the tire itself.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

learnincurve posted:

What if the time-trialing champion gave pedaling technique advice or told you about his favorite sunscreen?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

multijoe posted:

I’d probably pull it out and see if it reseals. If it doesn’t, it will almost surely seal with a bacon strip or DynaPlug.

There’s also just going to be times where you remove a worn out tire and notice there’s shaved down staples or bits of wire stuck through the casing that you never noticed...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It’s been a cold and wet spring here. Makes it hard to ride!

You have disc brakes??

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Definitely going to invest in one of these

I highly recommend it.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That's a cool bike

:mrgw:

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I rode today! Look at all the flat

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lex Neville posted:

I rode today! Look at all the flat

Hope you kept your butt in the saddle all that time. If not for the debunked frame damage reasons, for some other reasons Sheldon Brown made up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

You have disc brakes??

Not so much mechanical but more my wife and to some degree me don't care to ride when it's 48 F and rain is sheeting.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Out camping having a blast!

Did 95km of mostly road and some gravel today. I would have done more but the clouds approaching were really sketch and it opened up in us just as we were finishing making sammiches.

Highlights include hitting some super fun twisty downhills I actually had to ride the brakes on because I'd never been down em before, a bunch of hike a bike and backtracking when the snowmobile trails I decided to check out went into the swamp, and having to stop for a bear that seemed really curious and wanted to learn more about bicycles. :tbear: I tried to get a picture but was kinda busy yelling at it so it wouldn't try to steal my trail mix.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not so much mechanical but more my wife and to some degree me don't care to ride when it's 48 F and rain is sheeting.

Rain coming down in
?

Riding around Pittsburgh on an old bike boom 10 speed with chrome plated steel rims was not the most fun in the rain.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The bear followed me home. This was taken a few hours ago on another short ride through the park.

The parkies were patrolling just a few mins ago and spotted it. Apparently it's right close to us now. They actually asked us to pack up anything edible ASAP and they're doing circuits of our section of the campground.

I hope it doesn't want to eat my bicycle. :ohdear:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My cargo trike has oddly thick 34mm handlebars. They're the same diameter top to bottom. Any recommendations for a bell that'll fit?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait, the bar is 34mm tip to tip? Jesus.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but it's actually two bars that go down and connect to a steering linkage underneath.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ohhhhhh.

You might get away with Taking a 31.6 bell that gets shipped with road bikes and putting a really long bolt on it.

Most LBSs will have some laying around they'd be happy to part with.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I think the long clamp on the spurcycle will fit fine - I've got one on a 35mm bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao ripping sick gains on the trail and a loving bumble bee flew in my mouth at the end of the ride. For now I think he just grazed my lip when I reached my hand in there to get him out, since the swelling is mostly gone.