Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

realbez posted:

Please tell me if my understand is way off, because I’m not eligible so I’m only going off the accounts of people I know who have got the jab, but can you not just turn up to a mass vax centre and get the jab if you’re eligible? Why bother with the cumbersome and useless appointment booking system when you can just walk up and get stabbed?

If you are eligible for the pfizer vaccine then you need to book because it can't be stored at normal fridge temperatures for long before it needs to be used. Therefore they need to be able to ensure it will be used before sending it to the vaccination hubs.

The AZ vaccine has no such issue so it can be stored wherever and used whenever. Therefore walkups are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Konomex posted:

Reading the news this morning, the Melbourne outbreak is the Indian variant that is infectious after a day, rather than the 1-2 weeks. That boomer should be publically ridiculed for his laziness.

Over and over again in this thread we have gone to town on the first suspect leaked/named by the government/media and it has repeatedly ended up actually being a government/public service fuckup or is a completely different context to the original "story" (think leaky quarantine blamed on sex thirsty guards, pizza shop child, boat people captain in Sydney, etc). If nothing else, I guess it helps explain why our leaders keep telling porkies to the sheeple.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bill Posters posted:

If you are eligible for the pfizer vaccine then you need to book because it can't be stored at normal fridge temperatures for long before it needs to be used. Therefore they need to be able to ensure it will be used before sending it to the vaccination hubs.

The AZ vaccine has no such issue so it can be stored wherever and used whenever. Therefore walkups are fine.

It might be different now that they’ve just opened it up to 40+ people but that wasn’t true before. I know three people who have rocked up to the sunshine hospital with no appointment and been given the Pfizer jab. They all said nobody was there and they were in and out with the appointment for a second dose booked in pretty quickly and painlessly.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The fact that they are relying on a phone booking system and don't just have a website you can go to is loving ridiculous. You need to make this poo poo as easy as possible to reduce peoples excuses not to do it.

Even if you can just rock up to a walk-in place with no wait time many people wont do it cause they think they may have to wait ages and might not get the jab they prefer.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

froglet posted:

Admittedly, Perth has seriously lucked out, which is probably why getting vaccinated is a fair bit less urgent to me than it would be to someone in Vic or NSW.

I’m in NSW so I don’t need it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

But enough about ICAC

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
In better news:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-28/all-canberra-suburbs-to-contain-new-cats-from-2022/100172644

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Typical of Canberra to rob its population of the simple joy of saying hello to street cats

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boomers love calling up for poo poo on the phone how are they not already 90% vaccinated and onto offering it to anyone who wants it

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010
The Coalition is hosed. When Sunrise of all things starts fact-checking you:

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

realbez posted:

It might be different now that they’ve just opened it up to 40+ people but that wasn’t true before. I know three people who have rocked up to the sunshine hospital with no appointment and been given the Pfizer jab. They all said nobody was there and they were in and out with the appointment for a second dose booked in pretty quickly and painlessly.

My guess is that a hospital has the appropriate low temp storage, but that's just a guess.

Periphery posted:

The fact that they are relying on a phone booking system and don't just have a website you can go to is loving ridiculous. You need to make this poo poo as easy as possible to reduce peoples excuses not to do it.

This, however, is extremely on point.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Solemn Sloth posted:

So at press conferences they were pretty clear that the people only made eligible by reducing age limit to 40 need to book on the phone. However a lot of the website material lists separately whether vaccine centres are taking walk up over 50s and whether they’re taking walk up under 50s. It’s not clear to me (because of the use of the term eligible) whether 40-50 year olds need to also meet one of the previous eligibility criteria to qualify for walk up service, or if they’re all good to go at any of those centres to receive AZ. Messaging has been extremely loving poor imo

I'm confused just listening to you.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Periphery posted:

Yeah, it's crazyily inept

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I got my first dose of the pfizer vaccine today, but only because my doctor was able to sneak me into the clinic they are using to vaccinate front line health care workers

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GoldStandardConure posted:

I got my first dose of the pfizer vaccine today, but only because my doctor was able to sneak me into the clinic they are using to vaccinate front line health care workers

you and your lungs should have been first in line

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bowmore posted:

you and your lungs should have been first in line

not enough supply for patients!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

cogito ergo incommo posted:

The Coalition is hosed. When Sunrise of all things starts fact-checking you:

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Just the out and out lies are staggering.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

froglet posted:

That's good to know! I've developed a weird phobia/hangup about all this.

I was talking about it at the gym this morning - I was saying I'm currently ineligible, but I'm a bit put off by how most of the AZ deaths have been largely women my age. And yes, I know the odds are ridiculously remote but that's what phobias are - irrational fears. So yeah, at this point I'd probably hold off til Pfizer became available coz hey, that's what the guidelines say for people my age and I've got brainspiders.

Yes, yes I know my reasoning probably makes me a chump, but this is all theoretical to me coz no matter my opinion, I'm ineligible and probably will remain so for a long while. (And yes, I am seeing someone about my brain spiders)

All of this being said - I probably would get it if something changed that changed my perception of the risk - like if it got into the community here in WA. Admittedly, Perth has seriously lucked out, which is probably why getting vaccinated is a fair bit less urgent to me than it would be to someone in Vic or NSW.

Meanwhile, a vaccination centre in Victoria is now an exposure site!

Be safe, VIC goons! :ohdear:

If you stop going to the gym and start eating kfc every day you'll be eligible in no time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I just caught ten seconds of the liberal conference on abc news and vomited harder than my toddler with gastro

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/1398818817686466561

Tim Pallas came to fight

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol one of the freaks at a lockdown protest that was breathing all over people intentionally has been doxxed as a worker at a Baptcare aged care facility

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
gently caress this poo poo is dumb.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/may/30/victoria-takes-aim-at-disgraceful-lack-of-federal-financial-support-during-lockdown

quote:

Merlino said he was “beyond disappointed” the prime minister had not been convinced in their conversations to support the state, saying it was “disgraceful” Canberra had decided to “leave the field”.

Pallas said he and the federal treasurer, Josh Frydenberg, spent the past five days discussing whether the federal government would provide support similar to the jobkeeper wage subsidy which ended in March. Or could consider matching the Victorian funding dollar for dollar.

Pallas said he eventually asked Frydenberg to simply contribute something “piecemeal so we can pretend that you are doing something tangible when, in your intent and efforts, you are not”.

“This idea that we are working hand in glove when they have never put their hand in their pocket is nothing short of a disgrace,” the Victorian treasurer said.

“All I am saying, [to] the commonwealth, you did the right thing with jobkeeper and we supported and applauded you for it, but don’t turn your back on the Victorian people in their hour of need.”

The federal government had only agreed not to tax any payments made under the Victorian scheme, Pallas said.

He said Treasury modelling put the estimated cost of the seven-day lockdown to the state’s economy at $700m.

Some businesses could expect payments under the state government package by the end of the week, Pallas said, and within two weeks he hoped to see the majority of grants paid.

Speaking from New Zealand, Morrison said the Queensland and West Australian governments had not asked for federal funding when they had decided on similar snap lockdowns to deal with Covid outbreaks.

“We will continue to support Victoria to get Victoria open and to do everything we can to ensure that Victoria does not close itself again,” the prime minister said.

“That’s where I’m quite sure that people across Victoria want us to focus. We’ll continue to provide great support, as we always have, and ensure that we get Victoria open as soon as possible. That’s our sole focus.”

This is a veiled threat, right? Not "have to close itself," just "close itself." Like it was something we did for kicks. This is Morrison saying don't lock down, just cop the COVID cases and keep your economy open, because we're not giving you any support anymore.

I've supported the federal Libs more than I would've been naturally inclined in the past year, but at the moment I reckon they think either

a) Victoria's health system should be able to match NSW's contact tracing and hold cases at around 10 per day, despite all historical evidence to the contrary;

or,

b) they've looked at how things have gone internationally around the world, and the vocal libertarian/Qanon/small business owner lobby at home, and regret the decisions they made in March last year because it turns out they could have actually just let 'er rip without any political blowback if they hadn't let the Australian public get a taste of COVID zero in the first place

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I have no idea why they haven't built quarantine facilities. Think of all the hard hat photo ops Scotty is missing out on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

glasnost toyboy posted:

I have no idea why they haven't built quarantine facilities. Think of all the hard hat photo ops Scotty is missing out on.

Incompetence and a desire to doing nothing

quote:

b) they've looked at how things have gone internationally around the world, and the vocal libertarian/Qanon/small business owner lobby at home, and regret the decisions they made in March last year because it turns out they could have actually just let 'er rip without any political blowback if they hadn't let the Australian public get a taste of COVID zero in the first place

The decisions they made were forced on them by state govts, who were absolutly hell bent on shutting poo poo down as it was their hospitals that were going to be hit hard despite the howls from the federal sphere - as well as the realisation there was going to be a Covid recsession wether they liked it or not.

GoldStandardConure posted:

not enough supply for patients!

So ... okay wait a sec, you are a high risk and you got your first shot a nearly a month after I did? (No, didnt queue jump, signed up the instant I was eligible and got lucky the next day someone cancelled)

JFC what a shitfight the vaccination rollout has been.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

glasnost toyboy posted:

Can’t deflect blame to the states when quarantine is broken.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So ... okay wait a sec, you are a high risk and you got your first shot a nearly a month after I did? (No, didnt queue jump, signed up the instant I was eligible and got lucky the next day someone cancelled)

Yup!

I first checked with my doctors, and at the time they advised that they were only supplied with enough stock to vaccinate nurses etc, so it would be eaiser if I tried to get one through a GP or whatever. Shortly after that was when the AZ vax was banned for everyone under 50 (I'm 35), so every place I rang had no Pfizer and would not administer the AZ vax.

I gave up ringing around after a few weeks as I knew I had an appointment with my team of doctors, and clearly they are also sick of this poo poo as he told me he has been sending patients to the frontline worker clinic all week as its the only way most of them can get vaccinated.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

glasnost toyboy posted:

They did repurpose the old Howard Springs detention center in the NT into a facility, no idea how much use it it is getting though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Incompetence and a desire to doing nothing
The decisions they made were forced on them by state govts, who were absolutly hell bent on shutting poo poo down as it was their hospitals that were going to be hit hard despite the howls from the federal sphere - as well as the realisation there was going to be a Covid recsession wether they liked it or not.

Closing the international border - which was the number one thing that protected us, indisputably the number one thing the feds did, and the number one thing that I would not have expected the Liberal party to ever do - was not something forced on them by state governments.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

freebooter posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/may/30/victoria-takes-aim-at-disgraceful-lack-of-federal-financial-support-during-lockdown
This is a veiled threat, right? Not "have to close itself," just "close itself." Like it was something we did for kicks. This is Morrison saying don't lock down, just cop the COVID cases and keep your economy open, because we're not giving you any support anymore.

I've supported the federal Libs more than I would've been naturally inclined in the past year, but at the moment I reckon they think either

a) Victoria's health system should be able to match NSW's contact tracing and hold cases at around 10 per day, despite all historical evidence to the contrary;

or,

c) Why would the federal libs not undermine state government lockdowns? This has no downside for the federal Libs now the public have demonstrated they will largely credit the federal Libs if covid cases are kept under control regardless of whether they helped or not.

Assuming the lockdown successfully eliminates transmission, the public will continue to support them and forget about the fact that they constantly undermined the lockdown immediately after it ends, and they can blame state Labor for all the negative consequences of the lockdown to hold onto the libertarian/Qanon/small business vote along the way. The only way this would backfire on them if if Victoria called their bluff and ended restrictions leading to a massive outbreak, but that would hurt Vic Labor even more than the federal government (... and would also be a terrible thing to do) so it won't happen.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I now think that whichever goober the Libs put up in Victoria will win the 2022 election. Governments lose elections not win them, and I think we’re hitting a critical mass of bad will towards Labor that will see people willing to roll the dice and ask “can’t someone else do it”.

I think it will also take a bunch of people by surprise because there is such a massive divide in how lockdowns are experienced by white collar workers compared to frontline and service industries or casuals.

Like to use myself as an example, the pandemic honestly improved my personal circumstances. Some of the restrictions did suck a fair bit, but on the other hand: I got to spend a lot more time with my bub, and that’s ongoing because WFH is just a thing a lot of employers will have to offer from now on. I spent less money, I lost no income. That’s basically the experience across more or less my entire social and professional circle, although with varying degrees of how much the restrictions affected mental health.

But for a fuckton of people, even those who never got a positive case near them, it’s destroyed livelihoods and set them back years by dipping into savings (if they were lucky enough to have them to begin with). For those people the stuff the feds have done is more meaningful: jobkeeper and early super release to keep your head above water. I think people are also going to (legitimately) look at other states and wonder why it’s always us that is copping it.

Lots of people going to be waiting with baseball bats for state Labor. Not putting up jobkeeper 2.0 might hurt the fed coalition, but I don’t think the fight is going to help state Labor at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

I now think that whichever goober the Libs put up in Victoria will win the 2022 election. Governments lose elections not win them, and I think we’re hitting a critical mass of bad will towards Labor that will see people willing to roll the dice and ask “can’t someone else do it”.

If the Murdoch trash rags and Sky are anything to go by, there's a large subset of Boomers losing their minds over the lockdown and comparing Dandrews to Hitlers for restricting their ability to spend all day at outer suburb malls and Bunnings.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Lockdowns made sense when it was all unknown. Locking down every leak of a few cases because you don’t want to hold your public service to account is less forgivable.
Dan was and I think is still top of the pops for his consistent line and commitment to doing the right thing but by cripes does does the Vic public service need a Newman cleanout.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Lockdowns made sense when it was all unknown. Locking down every leak of a few cases because you don’t want to hold your public service to account is less forgivable.
Dan was and I think is still top of the pops for his consistent line and commitment to doing the right thing but by cripes does does the Vic public service need a Newman cleanout.

this post brought to you by long covid brain

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

You might want to talk to anyone that actually experienced Newman's cleanout Mr Galaxy brain.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Covid 19 is making people wish for Campbell Newman?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I long for bald death

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Oh my God a pandemic!

If only we had a premier that could fire all the hospital staff!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

What do you think is the great failing of the public service this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

QR codes weren't standardised or enforced in the lockdown ptsd state, or that purpose built quarantine facilities weren't established after multiple beaches of hotel quarantine, so now it'll be seven more months until one is ready at best. Vic contact tracing being a joke for ages well beyond the second wave is great too.

There are valid complaints to level at Chairman Dan and fortress Vic even as you breath a sigh of relief libs weren't in power.