Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

group of seven countries

and i live in a carr down by the river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’ll change the chat, earlier some people said they felt bad for getting their shot “early” because they are Métis and felt bad for it.

never feel bad for that the ripple effect of such things as the creation of the rcmp and the slaughter of indigenous and Métis has had a huge impact on people’s lives. even people feeling bad for getting their shot being Métis shows it, that was the whole point.

my wife is Métis has a lot of indigenous in her ancestry and going through her heritage has been insane and the trauma that travels through is evident in even such things as being able to own a house. my wife’s mom is the indigenous/Métis side and to make that worse my wife’s father got polio and has been disabled since he was young child (I’ll tell you anti vaxxers make me extremely angry), so hopefully my wife and I will be able to care for her parents in old age though government disability money isn’t that great

seeing the recent discovery of bodies in Kamloops and living in the okanagan it’s just been a wave of anger and upsetness

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Do it ironically posted:

I’ll change the chat, earlier some people said they felt bad for getting their shot “early” because they are Métis and felt bad for it.

I thought the comment was that people were geting the shot because they could simply claim to be Métis, knowing nobody would check. Those people should indeed feel profoundly lovely for it.

If the government says you are entitled to a thing because of what you are, then you take the thing and anyone who suggests you should feel ashamed or guilty about it can gently caress back off to their MP's office to air out their feelings in the correct forum. They're entitlements, you don't need to defend or justify them to anyone. Especially if they're being extended to you because of your Indigenous status; good god.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Do it ironically posted:

seeing the recent discovery of bodies in Kamloops and living in the okanagan it’s just been a wave of anger and upsetness

I used to live in the area. I remember one year when the forest fires got completely out of control on band land, they spent hours waiting for the fire department because they had asked different jurisdictions like the police to have certain permissions in place before coming into the territory. I heard all this second-hand, but it seemed most likely that the fire department was playing a, "Ohh, but you didn't say Simon Says" kind of poo poo. Awful. e: I bring this up not to rub salt in the wound or anything, but just pointing out this is a constant issue. It's not even history, it's like, all these things happened and continue to happen every day. It's hosed.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

I thought the comment was that people were geting the shot because they could simply claim to be Métis, knowing nobody would check. Those people should indeed feel profoundly lovely for it.

If the government says you are entitled to a thing because of what you are, then you take the thing and anyone who suggests you should feel ashamed or guilty about it can gently caress back off to their MP's office to air out their feelings in the correct forum. They're entitlements, you don't need to defend or justify them to anyone. Especially if they're being extended to you because of your Indigenous status; good god.

I think the only person claiming to be Metis and wasn't was that posters Uncle, not anyone who posted here.

There is a lot of shame when claiming entitlements. By design of course.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

flakeloaf posted:

maybe I misread it I’ll go back and see but I agree obviously it’s a real thing though I have encountered

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

There's the rub- if you already have a house what do you need to leverage the capital into? Consumer spending? A second home?
The only thing that makes sense is to put money back into the house in the form of renovations etc., which beyond quality of life improvements and basic maintenance isn't necessary unless the goal is to eventually flip the property.

Allow me to introduce you to the Smith Manoeuvre.

Access to large quantities of cheap, safe (de facto government backed) leverage is a game changer when it comes to personal finance, the above is but one example.

I am sorry for my part in perpetuating the ongoing finance chat.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Where's this government protection I'm supposed to be getting? Was there a cheque in the mail I missed? Because I've all I've experienced in the last year is a loss of income and constant fear that as an "essential worker" I'm gonna get covid, or get stabbed by a covid denier, all for minimum wage.

So this describes my exact situation except I lost all my stuff and the place I lived. So like get it? You have a stable place you live, one that inevitably increases in value. The government goes out of its way to ensure your house increases value.

To be clear, the key difference in our experience of the last year are loss of a place to live, the literal thing that is at the crux of an argument about whether a owning a house sets you apart from poors without a house.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

no I think it’s that some home owners in the thread are being intentionally obtuse or deliberately obfuscating the benefits they receive being a home owner

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i don't know if it's intentional, like a lot of privilege it can be hard to see until people have hit you over the head enough times with it before you realize.

anyway i'd also point out that many times, security aside, paying on a mortgage can be noticeably cheaper than rent in an area.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Like I'm not saying you shouldn't own a home, I'd love to have one. I'm saying having one insulates you from a ton of uncertainty and instability people without one face. You don't have to worry about getting forced out for renos because you've lived somewhere too long and now rent below average. Mortgages tends to be less than rentals unless you live with like four other people. As the housing market climbs you become abstractly wealthier, while for the rest of us independence and stability becomes laughably out of reach.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

There's the rub- if you already have a house what do you need to leverage the capital into? Consumer spending? A second home?
The only thing that makes sense is to put money back into the house in the form of renovations etc., which beyond quality of life improvements and basic maintenance isn't necessary unless the goal is to eventually flip the property.

Someone who has to take out money against their house to put a new roof on it isn't rich- I mean, yes if we're talking globally how fortunate someone is to legally own the roof over their head and not have anyone be able to gently caress with them (to say nothing of eminent domain), but that doesn't mean they aren't presently working hard to keep it livable.

If you have access to secured capital at current interest rates (under 2%) you can invest that in many things that will earn you even more money. Even a conservative diversified portfolio with a mix of equities and bonds is averaging 8%+ per year. Or even better, buy more investment properties and rent them out, to leverage yourself out into the real estate market! It can only go up.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

IN addition to working "real" jobs, I'm an artist. I can't set up a studio in a rental, if i had a house I could set up my studio there, run a business from it, and claim the space I use in my home for said business as a deduction. Instead I rent a studio space, oh boy more money I get to throw down the drain every month.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

mediaphage posted:

i don't know if it's intentional, like a lot of privilege it can be hard to see until people have hit you over the head enough times with it before you realize.

anyway i'd also point out that many times, security aside, paying on a mortgage can be noticeably cheaper than rent in an area.

Pointing out privilege can seem like an attack when the recipient already feels unstable or insecure in some aspect, and this is no exception. I hate it put it this way, but when white people are told they are privileged they often react in the same way: if I have white privilege, why am I still poor? It doesn’t mean your life doesn’t suck in some material way it’s just that you do have an upper hand in that particular arena. That’s it. It’s not attack in your person, you just have an upper hand whether you meant to or not.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

RBC posted:

If you have access to secured capital at current interest rates (under 2%) you can invest that in many things that will earn you even more money. Even a conservative diversified portfolio with a mix of equities and bonds is averaging 8%+ per year. Or even better, buy more investment properties and rent them out, to leverage yourself out into the real estate market! It can only go up.

The most disgusting part of this all is that the interest you pay on a loan for the purposes of investing is tax deductible. Like seriously what the actual gently caress.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cash crab posted:

Pointing out privilege can seem like an attack when the recipient already feels unstable or insecure in some aspect, and this is no exception. I hate it put it this way, but when white people are told they are privileged they often react in the same way: if I have white privilege, why am I still poor? It doesn’t mean your life doesn’t suck in some material way it’s just that you do have an upper hand in that particular arena. That’s it. It’s not attack in your person, you just have an upper hand whether you meant to or not.

that was absolutely what was running through my head when i wrote that earlier post

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/rjjago/status/1398785635083751427?s=19

I wonder if the kid got murdered or if he found out about autoerotic asphyxiation

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
so hosed up, no one will ever have to answer for it either

read through that Twitter string of his and it’s even worse :(

Do it ironically has issued a correction as of 05:27 on May 30, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait a second, these children's joke nooses are mislabeled!

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

infernal machines posted:

wait a second, these children's joke nooses are mislabeled!

The klan is going to be so pissed when they get the real joke nooses

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think the only person claiming to be Metis and wasn't was that posters Uncle, not anyone who posted here.

There is a lot of shame when claiming entitlements. By design of course.

that was me, for the record i do have my harvesters card, i am metis. ive just always been extremely weird about receiving any kind of benefits from it because im extremely white and more well off than most people(homeowner).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I wonder if the kid got murdered or if he found out about autoerotic asphyxiation

Or died by suicide because of being imprisoned in a residential school.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Rutibex posted:

the only way to solve the housing crisis is to gently caress over home owners and destroy all their value.

I bought my first house for $180k, sold it a few years later for $260k, bought my current house with my wife for $450k in 2014 and it's probably worth close to a million right now. honestly, crash the market, I don't give a gently caress. I bought this house to live in it, whether it's worth $100k or $1m makes no difference to me. if the market crashed maybe my friends who didn't get lucky like me and buy their first house in their early 20s could afford to live in my neighbourhood.

the people that would really get hosed over by a market crash would be speculators and landlords, and that would be incredible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

prom candy posted:

I bought my first house for $180k, sold it a few years later for $260k, bought my current house with my wife for $450k in 2014 and it's probably worth close to a million right now. honestly, crash the market, I don't give a gently caress. I bought this house to live in it, whether it's worth $100k or $1m makes no difference to me. if the market crashed maybe my friends who didn't get lucky like me and buy their first house in their early 20s could afford to live in my neighbourhood.

the people that would really get hosed over by a market crash would be speculators and landlords, and that would be incredible.

the problem is people counting on the value of their house for retirement money. a huge crash in house prices would leave many boomers without any money for retirement

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, it's not so much loving over homeowners as loving over people who use / view their homes as an investment. If the housing market craters, you still have a house. Even upsizing / downsizing is still fairly unaffected since whatever you're moving into is changing price the same as your house is. And I've never in my life heard someone talk about home / property values without the next thing out of their mouths demonstrating what a horrible piece of poo poo they are.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Rutibex posted:

the problem is people counting on the value of their house for retirement money. a huge crash in house prices would leave many boomers without any money for retirement

gently caress em (or at least let them live off CPP like non-homeowners). If they wanted a safe investment for retirement, those have been widely available, they just decided that the returns weren't good enough for them, but also somehow assume they shouldn't have to bear the risk of that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Rutibex posted:

yeah my parents are counting on theirs (a house they bought in the 90s for $175k that is likely worth about a million now). I would hope a housing market crash would result in just lower cost of housing across they board, so their rent or condo price when they downsize would also go down. and also the rent for seniors who never owned could go down too!

or we could just have public housing and old age services for a variety of needs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
a real estate market crash large enough to make housing "affordable" would/would be the result of tanking the canadian economy so badly most of us would probably be without work for some time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

a real estate market crash large enough to make housing "affordable" would/would be the result of tanking the canadian economy so badly most of us would probably be without work for some time.

what if we just topped up everyones wealth so that everyone has at least $1 million in assets. if you already own a boomer mansion in toronto you get nothing, if you're a destitute millennial paying outrageous rents then you get the full million and can buy whatever you want

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that would probably have a very positive effect on the economy.

me, personally? i'd vote for it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why does anyone think housing prices will ever go down? The government is going to do backflips to prop up that market forever even if kills the economy. That's why everyone sees it as a stable investment.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

xtal posted:

Why does anyone think housing prices will ever go down? The government is going to do backflips to prop up that market forever even if kills the economy. That's why everyone sees it as a stable investment.

Because the alternative view point is an investment vehicle that increases +20% a year with no declines, forever.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

xtal posted:

bubbles always burst eventually, they're just delaying it to make sure they've wrung out all the money possible and that the rich are properly shielded from the consequences

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
~*~soft landing~*~

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

RBC posted:

If the argument is that ordinary homeowners aren't being big enough capitalist scumbags by virtue of not leveraging the instruments you mentioned, then I'm truly lost. People who need houses don't buy them because they're greedy and need all this extra poo poo like some kind of octopus wearing a top hat and monocle, they bought them for the same reasons everyone renting wants one!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

enki42 posted:

Even upsizing / downsizing is still fairly unaffected since whatever you're moving into is changing price the same as your house is.

I don't think this is right. No one is going to move if they can only get 500k on a house they have a 750k mortgage on.

Once peoples houses are worth less then what they owe, they are stuck in place.

Which would work for me, I just want a place to live that's not a poo poo hole run by rear end in a top hat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Demon_Corsair posted:

I don't think this is right. No one is going to move if they can only get 500k on a house they have a 750k mortgage on.

Once peoples houses are worth less then what they owe, they are stuck in place.

Which would work for me, I just want a place to live that's not a poo poo hole run by rear end in a top hat.

we could fix everyones mortgage problem with some hyper inflation. would solve student debt too

new minimum wage $500/h

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Rutibex posted:

we could fix everyones mortgage problem with some hyper inflation. would solve student debt too

new minimum wage $500/h

I honestly believe this is coming. It devalues all that pesky national debt too.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Consumer price inflation combined with shortages and production shortfalls is bad enough now that yeah you should basically buy whatever crap you want now and maybe even if you can't because the dollars you use in the future will be worth less/have less purchasing power

What does hyperinflation of the US dollar mean for Canada though? Canadian dollars make up something like 2% of global reserves and while basically everything we do is tied to the US trade-wise, we aren't effectively pegged to their dollar in any meaningful sense.

The Libya invasion and Iraq war start to make a lot more sense when you consider their leaders' respective threats to launch a gold dinar/trade in Euros over USD and collapse the whole petrodollar gambit ahead of schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
drat maybe mark cuban was right about buying toothpaste in bulk to become a billionaire