Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

lol loving nixon established the epa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ronwayne posted:

The security state and left-busting has come a long way since the 30s, sadly. I guess they've decided with an advanced enough stick you don't need carrots ever again.

or just convince everyone that the stick is the carrot

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I love the tonal mismatch here

"Just sit back and laugh??? While the government is run by the best president ever and everything is wonderful???"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/XTWcUxe.mp4

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Yinlock posted:

oh right, nate silver

whatever happened to that nerd

he still likes using lots of logic and science words to repeat dumb conventional wisdom

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1397876974434066432?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao that this is the dude libs are angry about not being on the supreme court

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raiad posted:

lol loving nixon established the epa

he passed the Clean Air Act
he passed the Voting Rights Act of 1970
he passed the Endangered Species Act
he passed the Water Pollution Control Act
he established OSHA
he passed the Rail Passenger Service Act, which established Amtrak
he passed the State and Local Assistance Act, which allowed revenue sharing between the Federal and local governments
he ended the draft
he signed the Postal Reorganization Act, which established four major postal unions and won the right for postal workers to engage in collective bargaining
according to civil rights activist James Farmer, who marched alongside MLK, Nixon's support for affirmative action programs made him the "strongest president on affirmative action - up to that point."
he increased Federal funding for HCBUs
he passed Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, banning discrimination against students based on sex, improving education opportunities for women
he declared Brown v. Board of Education to be “right in both constitutional and human terms” and completed school desegregation in the South

he was even a patron of the arts:

quote:

In 2013, Oscar winner and House of Cards superstar Kevin Spacey shared some favorable words for Richard Nixon while shedding some light on the efforts of the President to extend federal support for the National Endowment for the Art and Humanities which celebrates its 50th anniversary today. In a conversation with POLITICO, Spacey, a strong advocate for the arts and humanities, was asked which president had done the most for the arts. His response:

“Richard Nixon. That may be a surprising name for you to hear. But he actually funded the National Endowment for the Arts more than any president had up until that time.”

Richard Milhous Nixon was the most progressive President ever

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nixon should've let the Vietnam war go on another couple years so we'd have fewer boomers.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

he passed the Clean Air Act
he passed the Voting Rights Act of 1970
he passed the Endangered Species Act
he passed the Water Pollution Control Act
he established OSHA
he passed the Rail Passenger Service Act, which established Amtrak
he passed the State and Local Assistance Act, which allowed revenue sharing between the Federal and local governments
he ended the draft
he signed the Postal Reorganization Act, which established four major postal unions and won the right for postal workers to engage in collective bargaining
according to civil rights activist James Farmer, who marched alongside MLK, Nixon's support for affirmative action programs made him the "strongest president on affirmative action - up to that point."
he increased Federal funding for HCBUs
he passed Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, banning discrimination against students based on sex, improving education opportunities for women
he declared Brown v. Board of Education to be “right in both constitutional and human terms” and completed school desegregation in the South

he was even a patron of the arts:
Richard Milhous Nixon was the most progressive President ever
then again there's also the would-have-nuked-vietnam-if-not-for-kissinger

in summary tricky dick is a land of contrasts

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shipon posted:

"Sounds like you want a coup" buddy I want more than a loving coup I want a cultural revolution that would make mao blush, purge every element of Americanism out of this society

What exactly does this dope think the political climate was leading up to his buddy's New Deal plan anyway? Force or threat of force is historically the only hing that breaks the power of the ruling class, if only for a generation or two.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's this from?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

super sweet best pal posted:

Nixon should've let the Vietnam war go on another couple years so we'd have fewer boomers.

Nixon was coup'ed by the CIA because was getting out of Vietnam and the spooks wanted to stay in for the drug trade

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pretty sure the poor, and minority, people who had to fight in that war aren't the people you're wanting dead.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

a bunch of good reforms were passed under Nixon because domestic pressure was so intense. To the point where there were literally urban guerrillas and regular bombings across the US. Granted, those guerrillas were mostly ineffective, but it shows how raucous the political scene at the time had become.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

working hard (thank you) electing more dems
https://i.imgur.com/yBY0YzD.mp4

I need to finosh Sense8

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

What's this from?

Lexx

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Pretty sure the poor, and minority, people who had to fight in that war aren't the people you're wanting dead.

what about john mccain

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

though i guess you could make the argument that mccain was so pathetic that the viet cong would probably just send him back unharmed out of pity

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

though i guess you could make the argument that mccain was so pathetic that the viet cong would probably just send him back unharmed out of pity

McCain was just one plane short of being an ace for the NVA

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Seems totally normal to take the position that nothing can legally stand between a president and his ability to take a walk wherever he wants to at any time.

I can really see how our completely ineffectual and corrupt government would use that statement.

They would throw a provision into a trillion page bill that all police officers can technically be considered a "President." Therefore anywhere they want to go, and anything they do to get there, is completely legal.

Cyborg Nancy will claim to be really concerned about this before passing legislation that funds robocops so our brave heroes don't have to risk anything.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
It's his war, he's supposed to be there!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fleetwood posted:

lol!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/1398336346863935489?s=19

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fleetwood posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

"It's his house! He's supposed to be there!" was one of those rare, legit funny tweets to come from trump lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/hannahposts/status/1398988376641003522

gudetama
Apr 1, 2021
the succ zone was always superior to the trump thread, which was full of libs and weirdos

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

McCain was just one plane short of being an ace for the NVA

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i appreciate this big brain take

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Yinlock posted:

what about john mccain

I hear he sat the war out in a hotel.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

silicone thrills posted:

I see arp and I'm like... Did you forget an a? Aarp? Or haarp lol

listen here mac

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:swoon: Most progressive administration since FDR! :swoon:

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
"Both parties are staunchly pro-imperialism."

I think this is a phrase that is tossed around flippantly without much examination. "Staunchly?"

Eh... At times, perhaps, but Clinton's Iraq bombing was hardly imperialist so much as it was opportunist (which, honestly, is worse). Libya was a multilateral UN action after which the Libyan government asked everyone to stay longer.

The drone program is definitely problematic, but evidence of staunch pro-imperialism? Again, I say, eh...

I don't think the Democratic Party in 2021 is "staunchly pro-imperialism."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i do love the lib response that "this is just how the rule of law works, and we wouldn't be the good guys if we didn't argue in court to help the bad guys sometimes"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Nixon should have remained in office and let the process play out like a big confident man rather than resigning in disgrace

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Pobrecito posted:

"Both parties are staunchly pro-imperialism."

I think this is a phrase that is tossed around flippantly without much examination. "Staunchly?"

Eh... At times, perhaps, but Clinton's Iraq bombing was hardly imperialist so much as it was opportunist (which, honestly, is worse). Libya was a multilateral UN action after which the Libyan government asked everyone to stay longer.

The drone program is definitely problematic, but evidence of staunch pro-imperialism? Again, I say, eh...

I don't think the Democratic Party in 2021 is "staunchly pro-imperialism."

lmao thats a good one

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

No lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
https://twitter.com/PhdEnviro/status/1398449900761890820?s=20