Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

DemoneeHo posted:

Nah, start with Perfect Cherry Blossom, unless there is a patch that adds in the visible hitbox for EOSD.
EoSD not having a visible hitbox isn't that painful, IMO. At least, it wasn't for me, because I was new to bullet hell games and a visible hitbox wasn't something I expected in the first place. The bigger problem is that if you're on Windows 10, EoSD requires a lot of fiddling to get working— so yeah, Perfect Cherry Blossom might be a better starting point, unless starting from the beginning matters enough to you to spend 10-60 minutes messing with unofficial patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the Recs but there is a zero percent chance that I ever play a touhou game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

if you don't want to play the shmups just play fantasy maiden wars instead imo

admittedly ive only played the first one but its a very accessible retelling of eosd for newcomers, and the super robot wars combat works really well

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raelle posted:

Umineko is at core the most anti-"anime" thing, which is, of course, the point of the "anime" presentation

Pretty sure the point of the anime presentation is that Ryukishi07 likes anime. It's not that deep. Umineko is first and foremost a love letter to everything R07 loves, including murder mysteries, obviously, but alsoType-Moon-esque fantasy combat and Touhou.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

luna nights is a good spinoff game, and (IMO) better than the deedlit game they made more recently. a new touhou game was officially released on steam this past month as well

also lambdadelta is 100% a touhou. and gaap is a vtuber

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any exciting horror VNs in the same vein as the Spirit Hunter series? I thoroughly enjoyed playing Death Mark and NG, but it seems like it'll probably be a while before we get the third one that got crowdfunded a while back.

Raelle
Jan 15, 2008

Even I...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Pretty sure the point of the anime presentation is that Ryukishi07 likes anime. It's not that deep. Umineko is first and foremost a love letter to everything R07 loves, including murder mysteries, obviously, but alsoType-Moon-esque fantasy combat and Touhou.

Nah, in terms of what the original post was talking about, in terms of high schoolers earning power-ups, thousand-year-old beings, that is absolutely highlighted to be undermined later. The fantasy depiction of George and Jessica as gaining superpowers because of love and determination being undercut by the reality of how they were killed is super deliberate.

That being said, R07 is indeed a nerd who likes anime too. This is very true.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Revitalized posted:

Are there any exciting horror VNs in the same vein as the Spirit Hunter series? I thoroughly enjoyed playing Death Mark and NG, but it seems like it'll probably be a while before we get the third one that got crowdfunded a while back.

requisite fata morgana recommendation goes here

i've heard the letter is pretty decent, though i havent played it myself yet
if you're more into the combination of investigation and folklore you might try raging loop, it's a werewolf/mafia game but set in a village out in the boonies with supernatural elements

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i found the letter terrible,

but maybe it's because expecting a completely different horror experience than what it gives

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The 7th Guest posted:

also lambdadelta is 100% a touhou. and gaap is a vtuber
Most blatantly she's a Gothic Lolita Bible model.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Revitalized posted:

Raging Loop is you haven't played it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

My Limited Edition of World's End Club came in today

I cannot wait to get home and dive into a brand new Uchikoshi video game

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Sharkitten posted:

My Limited Edition of World's End Club came in today

I cannot wait to get home and dive into a brand new Uchikoshi video game

I hope it ends up near the good end of the Uchikoshi quality scale, which is where 999 and AI Somnium Files are, and nowhere near the bad side with ZTD or Punchline

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Started Umineko 2 but thought I'd get my thoughts down on episode 1 before I go any further. tell me to stop if this is annoying

re: the murders
I'm still going with my original theory about the first six, that there was a fight (or even an accident) in the dining room and the killer(s) opportunistically finished off the survivors and/or witnesses. Four deaths at once seems implausible, unless it was poison, but the bloodstain in the room suggests at least someone died violently. The most obvious suspects would be Eva and Hideyoshi, since they have a clear motive in the form of the inheritance, and two people working together makes the multiple murders more plausible. There'd be no need for them to try and finish the ritual, but they could have played on the black magic angle to obfuscate the motive by making the killings up to 6.

if that's the case, then someone else entirely is responsible for killing Eva and Hideyoshi, which fits with the means being different. I think the game's been pretty clear that we're not meant to be able to figure out the exact mechanism behind the locked-room mystery yet but we can reasonably infer that the culprit is probably someone familiar with the house, which suggests Natsuhi, Kinzo or a servant. They all have motives - revenge (Kanon), self-preservation (Natsuhi), completing the ritual (Kinzo, or a servant acting on his behalf).

alternatively, the mutilation of the bodies, the unclear cause of death and the fact that only Krauss and Shannon could be definitively identified raises the possibility of one of the others being a fake, somehow. That opens up lots of possibilities, although it would make more sense if they had an accomplice. The body in the incinerator being identified by its extra toes seems super fishy and I'm definitely expecting a reveal at some point that either Krauss or Rudolf also has polydactyly. I wish I could remember who was actually there when they identified the body. Kinzo faking his death after the initial killings and sneaking around his booby-trapped mansion killing the family he disdains in order to revive Beatrice seems entirely in character.

also I don't know if I'm missing something obvious but I don't get why all the characters treat the presence of a 19th person on the island as incompatible with a mundane explanation of the murders. I can't see why there couldn't be a 19th human running around, presumably with Kinzo's ring and a master key. It would make a lot of things easier to explain, especially if they were working with someone on the inside. It's not as if it'd be impossible for someone else to come to the island in advance.

re: the work as a whole
So the tea party seems to be laying down what I assume are the big themes - magical thinking as an easy solution to life's problems vs taking the hard road to the truth and the power of belief to change the world. With that in mind my preliminary explanation for Beatrice is that she's a personification of various characters' fantasies and emotional needs. Someone (can't remember who) describes her as being more of a concept than a person, and there's that long conversation where the servants talk about how they made Beatrice real by going along with Kinzo's obsession. She's Kinzo's lost love, Maria's imaginary friend, and (going by the start of Episode 2) Shannon's fairy godmother. She mocks Shannon using Eva's words because that's how badly Shannon has internalised her inferiority. In the tea party, she's both the characters' and the audience's desire to reverse the awful killings.

Also Bernkastel seems cool but did they really have to do the whole ancient godlike being in child's body thing for real

anyway, on to episode 2

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

PSA: despite doing their best to give the impression it wouldn't, the Apple Arcade version of World's End Club did just update with the full game content to match the Switch release. So if you have that available, no need to buy the game on console (especially if you own an iPad, Mac or Apple TV with a controller synced).

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Wrapping up the pre-Route 5 work on Baldr Sky, and I'm here to say: this is a wonderful video game. The setting is great, I love all the characters, and the amount of options and customizations available for a VN of all things is frankly absurd. I can see why it's so beloved, though I don't see it recommended as often as I do S;G, Muv-Luv, or Umineko

I especially love how each route (mainly the endings) tackles a different sci fi topic. It's like reading a collection of short stories, or watching a bunch of Twilight Zone (some of these endings are real hosed up!)

I'm not super in love with the gameplay. I can tell it's well designed, but it's a combination of two genres I don't really care for, and there's just wayyyyyyyyyy too much of it. You could cut the amount of individual battles by 50% and it'd be nothing but upside

and speaking of repetition, I don't care for how often the game has me re-reading the same scenes, or nearly identical scenes. This beast is long enough without making it even longer with these sort of tricks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

I hope it ends up near the good end of the Uchikoshi quality scale, which is where 999 and AI Somnium Files are, and nowhere near the bad side with ZTD or Punchline
just bear in mind that it's also by the Danganronpa and Ever17 directors so you're getting something inbetween all of them

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

WarpDogs posted:

Wrapping up the pre-Route 5 work on Baldr Sky, and I'm here to say: this is a wonderful video game. The setting is great, I love all the characters, and the amount of options and customizations available for a VN of all things is frankly absurd. I can see why it's so beloved, though I don't see it recommended as often as I do S;G, Muv-Luv, or Umineko

I especially love how each route (mainly the endings) tackles a different sci fi topic. It's like reading a collection of short stories, or watching a bunch of Twilight Zone (some of these endings are real hosed up!)

the "bad" endings are great and i will personally maintain that one of them in particular is better than the canon ending to that route

quote:

and speaking of repetition, I don't care for how often the game has me re-reading the same scenes, or nearly identical scenes. This beast is long enough without making it even longer with these sort of tricks

Yeah, sorry about that. They're often treated as separate text in the engine so skip mode doesn't work on them either. I wish we could have done something about it but there wasn't much we could do.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wrapped up the Higurashi questions arc (Ep 1-4) and I have...thoughts. Firstly, are all the "puzzle pieces" present in those episodes, allowing you to put together the actual truth? Seems like there are still lots of details missing making everything ambiguous. Also, the big question seems to be mundane vs supernatural, and so far it really seems like some things are hard to explain as anything but supernatural while I had more of a hope for the former. After all, if you go with supernatural explanations, every inconsistency/weirdness can be explained away by "a wizard demon did it" which is boring. I also wonder what's up with the multiple inconsistent timelines varying from each episode to episode. It's hard to see how there can be a "truth" when that truth changes between episodes. I'll probably rush straight to the answers arc anyway, and I hope it all comes together nicely.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Thuryl posted:

the "bad" endings are great and i will personally maintain that one of them in particular is better than the canon ending to that route

I definitely enjoyed Chinatsu's Normal ending a lot more than her Good route, which felt pretty off-putting. I get what they were going for, but ehhh... hard to ignore the practical consequences :stonk:. I think there's a Law & Order SVU episode that has a very similar ending

Anyway, onto Route 5! Gotta say, the VA is phenomenal, and the differences between Kou here vs. the other routes is really nailed home by his far more hardened voice acting

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

WarpDogs posted:

I definitely enjoyed Chinatsu's Normal ending a lot more than her Good route, which felt pretty off-putting. I get what they were going for, but ehhh... hard to ignore the practical consequences :stonk:. I think there's a Law & Order SVU episode that has a very similar ending

Yeaaah, that was the exact one I had in mind. Glad you're enjoying the game, at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gato posted:

Started Umineko 2 but thought I'd get my thoughts down on episode 1 before I go any further. tell me to stop if this is annoying

Never stop, watching peoples speculate is the closest I'll get to playing the game again for the first time

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Speaking of Baldr Sky, I finished it earlier this week and thought it was pretty great, 9/10 level VN. Some parts of the finale I was more or less iffy on, but it was lots of fun, even the iffy parts. The big flaws probably are the repeated text, like was previously mentioned, and I was also fairly annoyed by everyone's terrible communication skills. Particularly grating in Chinatsu's route, even though I really liked Chinatsu as a character, but it was an endemic problem. By the time in the last route people were explaining the plot and Kou kept interjecting to tell them how impossible that was I really wanted to strangle the guy.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This should be fun to follow. Always like reading people’s experience with Fata Morgana.

Though calling it the highest rated game on metacritic is a bit silly as it’s only six reviews. Though 100% is a heck of an accomplishment.

Still she seems to really be digging it and she’s only a couple doors in. Hasn’t even gotten to the mind blowing stuff yet.

God I love this game.

https://twitter.com/hownottodraw/status/1398713399815573517?s=21

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally got around to finishing FDC 2, I started out liking it a lot more than the first one but the ending left me fairly cool on it for starters it seemed super rushed, suddenly throwing all the answers at you and I've never been a fan of the killer revealing themselves before the detective figures it out. The reveal with Shinobu's body was pretty good though.

All in all an interesting look at two of the earlier popular VNs but they could have done with streamlining the look/talk/examine until you stumble in the right combination stuff, though I guess authenticity is admirable too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If any VN deserves a perfect score, it’s Fata Morgana

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is it worth getting FM on Switch if I have the steam version but only played one door? Is the translation better or anything?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is it worth getting FM on Switch if I have the steam version but only played one door? Is the translation better or anything?

From my understanding, the switch version also comes with the prequel (which is sold separately on steam) and the sequel (which is not available on steam, afaik)

If i had known prior about the extra content in the switch version, i would have bought that one instead.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So how are people liking World's End club now that it's been out two days?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

From my understanding, the switch version also comes with the prequel (which is sold separately on steam) and the sequel (which is not available on steam, afaik)

If i had known prior about the extra content in the switch version, i would have bought that one instead.

are those also good?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Speaking of Baldr Sky, I finished it earlier this week and thought it was pretty great, 9/10 level VN. Some parts of the finale I was more or less iffy on, but it was lots of fun, even the iffy parts. The big flaws probably are the repeated text, like was previously mentioned, and I was also fairly annoyed by everyone's terrible communication skills. Particularly grating in Chinatsu's route, even though I really liked Chinatsu as a character, but it was an endemic problem. By the time in the last route people were explaining the plot and Kou kept interjecting to tell them how impossible that was I really wanted to strangle the guy.

I'm only on route 5, but it definitely seems like "the problems of miscommunication" is a deliberate theme. We have characters who are afraid of communication, characters who don't communicate out of spite (or kindness), characters who would love to communicate but have severe memory or brain damage, and finally "characters" (AI) who desperately want to learn how to communicate with us... with mixed results

It is made aggravating by the repetition and Kou being a huge dummy, though. God, every single twist has been hilarious because you really see it coming a mile away while Kou is *always* absolutely flabbergasted. Like, ok, I get that Kou can't see the colored text that I can see which makes every speaker obvious, but even without that he should really be able to figure out who is piloting the big red robot or who the priestess is. Come on, dude.

But I also kinda like that about him? He's just a simple soldier boy whose main ability is being able to attract much more intelligent and competent people who then tell him which things to shoot

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Stefan Prodan posted:

are those also good?
Requiem for Innocence (the prequel) is very good and worth reading if you liked the original. I don't like it quite as much as the original story but that's more because of how highly I rate that.

I am a bit more mixed on Reincarnation (sequel), it has some parts that I liked and feel earned in terms of being a story worth exploring after all that has happened, and others that feel either superfluous or just don't really land for me. I'm not sure I would buy a version just to get it but functionally that's what happened anyway because I had already owned the original and Requiem on Steam and then rebought the whole thing on the Vita to get at Reincarnation.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 30, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how are people liking World's End club now that it's been out two days?

I might be the only person playing it from this thread, not sure, but I think it's very cute, charming, and interesting

So far it's very different from Uchikoshi and Kodaka's other games but that's OK

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1398893451341672449?s=20

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sharkitten posted:

I might be the only person playing it from this thread, not sure, but I think it's very cute, charming, and interesting

So far it's very different from Uchikoshi and Kodaka's other games but that's OK

"charming" is probably the word that came most to mind when playing it. it also very clearly seems intended for a younger audience so don't expect something in a 999-ish tone (which should have been semi-obvious from the artstyle/previews)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tired Moritz posted:

Welp, finished Raging Loop. Better than I expected, though I genuinely wonder how anyone is expected to understand the character relations if you don't read through the story in one go. The final route is kinda meh as well, but I think that goes for most VNs. Would recommend.

I actually really liked the Raging Loop cast because I actually don't often see that sort of classical death-game thing done with a cast that predominantly knows each other beforehand.

It was also fun to see how it got along with "actual" mafia strategy and all that

it's hard because it's very rare that actual long-form (i.e. message board or email) games don't automatically reveal the alignments of people who die, because not doing so is generally thought to be too disadvantageous for the good guys

also the "smart" guys in the cast find out the ideal strategy pretty quickly (spider/doc always protects cop/snake, meaning the bad guys can only take shots in the dark), though most games try to break this because it makes things much less interesting

and all that's mixed with stuff like the main character not being able to die and continue the story, and also people just straight up breaking the rules, and that actual lives are at stake meaning people are much less inclined to sacrifice for their own team, and it's really fun, i like that kind of death-game thing which acknowledges that not everyone is just going to sit back and follow the rules passively

also i gather the lore stuff at the end was from another VN that wasn't localized, which is annoying

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The art looked like it was done by the guy who did the illustrations for zaregoto. And that wasn't exactly bloody but it was still pretty murderful

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i gather the lore stuff at the end was from another VN that wasn't localized, which is annoying

if you're talking about the stuff with meiko at the very end then yes, its a backdoor connection into a previous VN the writer did that that's confirmed to be the same world. (said VN actually got a steam remaster last year, it just doesn't have an English option/localization announced at time of posting)

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Never stop, watching peoples speculate is the closest I'll get to playing the game again for the first time

well in that case, Episode 2

So on a meta level the aim of this episode seems to be focusing in on the whole ’retreat into fantasy OR accept that one of these seemingly normal people is committed multiple murders’ dilemma which is pretty compelling to me. Some of the episode 1 murders are set out a bit sloppily in retrospect – the locked rooms are set up with mechanical tricks and you don’t have a good sense of where everyone is. Episode 2 lays out everything much more clearly. The red text is a really neat concept, it’s a great way of cutting off potential quibbling like “what if you could pick the lock” or “what if there was a hidden door”. It forces you/meta-Battler to confront the mystery at its most basic level – motive, means, opportunity.

Of course that doesn’t change the fact that the Episode 1 murders still happened, and I don’t think I’m much closer to solving them. The master key situation (theoretically) excludes human Beatrice from the E2 murders but still doesn’t rule out a 19th person in E1. On the other hand the difference in means suggests that the culprit for the first 6 murders in E1 was one of the first 6 killed in E2, which supports my earlier suspicions about Eva and Hideyoshi.

As for the E2 murders, human Beatrice is the most obvious suspect for the first 6 – she could easily have got the key from Maria, and there’s that brief scene where she meets the parents in the chapel just before the murders. But it seems too obvious, and I’m pretty suspicious of Rosa as well. Nobody mentions the letter she got from Beatrice, but I’m guessing that was the note saying to go to the chapel. So she was at the dinner, but either didn’t go to the chapel or went to the chapel and survived somehow. She could also have got the key from Maria easily enough, and she’s got a clear-cut motive in the form of the inheritance. But setting up the diorama with the sweets seems pretty drastic even given how much she apparently hates her siblings. On the other hand, Beatrice setting up the sweets afterwards means she has to somehow get in and out of the chapel separately… unless she was hiding in the chapel the whole time, and only leaves when George et al. break in near the end. I don’t think Meta-Beatrice ever rules out someone staying in the chapel, unlike the other murders. Holy poo poo I love that I’ve ended up thinking about this in this much detail.

With the locked-room murders, it seems pretty hard to argue against one of the servants being involved. I’m definitely most suspicious of Genji given his undying loyalty to Kinzo (the guy who most wants the ritual to succeed), his apparent skill with a knife and how chilled he seems about everything.

The magic swordfights weren’t completely unexpected given the chat about things becoming more anime but I haven’t really worked out how to interpret them. If everything really is mundane, then I guess they’re an elaborate metaphor for the victim confronting the killer? Because the pain of acknowledging that the killer is human is too unbearable? Jessica’s room certainly didn’t look like there had been a big anime fight in it. I noticed that Beatrice in these scenes is in her dress rather than the suit worn by the human Beatrice – with the last one (vs Shannon) it goes from suit Beatrice outside the door to dress Beatrice inside the room. That suggests to me that the one in the dress is a mental projection of some kind.

On the subject of Beatrice, everyone seems to assume that the one in the suit, who I think of as human Beatrice, arrived at a similar time to the family. But I can’t see why she couldn’t have been on the island already – we’re told repeatedly that it’s a big place with lots of space to hide in.

We get also indirect confirmation, via the scene of Kinzo writing his will which they annoyingly cut away from, that there was an original Beatrice. She was presumably an actual person who might actually have given him the gold, some of which we know is real. The idea of a huge amount of gold showing up in Japan in the 40s makes me think of Neal Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon, which is about (among other things) the Nazis attempting to stash a submarine-load of gold in the Far East. Maybe Kinzo got the Ushiromiya crest from the gold and not the other way around?

wow that's a lot of words. I've gone from being meh about the game to being pretty invested. on to part 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Godspeed onto Chapter three young frogling. I love how everyone who reads Umineko reads their own works into it, I with Faust, Dante's Divine Comedy, and The Count of Monte Cristo and you with the Cryptonomicon. Truly each viewers perspective is unique and interesting to view